PDA

View Full Version : Tim's OV-1C FDE

falcon409
March 29th, 2014, 07:56
Is anyone aware of an FDE Update, or change to the OV-1C Mohawk by Tim Conrad? I fly it a lot, love the airplane but with the throttle at idle it will accelerate to TO speed within the normal runway length and even maintain about a 300fpm climb without losing much speed. Any help is appreciated.

ThePlasticMax
March 29th, 2014, 09:51
Is anyone aware of an FDE Update, or change to the OV-1C Mohawk by Tim Conrad? I fly it a lot, love the airplane but with the throttle at idle it will accelerate to TO speed within the normal runway length and even maintain about a 300fpm climb without losing much speed. Any help is appreciated.

IIRC his OV-1 works the same as his PC-7, in that if you're using FSUIPC the auto-prop-pitch setting doesn't work properly. Setting the prop-pitch to 50% usually gives reasonable performance, but it's really not the same as flying it without fsuipc where it would function properly.

If you're not using FSUIPC then I dunno, maybe try setting prop-pitch to 50% anyway :D

falcon409
March 29th, 2014, 09:55
Thanks,

I have a registered version of FSUIPC that I keep current, but use for very little actually other than a few functions. As for the prop pitch, I have pulled that back completely along with the throttle and it will react the same. . .from a standstill, it will accelerate to approx 110kts and climb.

falcon409
March 29th, 2014, 12:14
Ok, can anyone suggest an area in the cfg file that I might adjust to affect a change to this problem? Thanks!

falcon409
March 29th, 2014, 15:02
:bump:Anyone?

PutPut
March 29th, 2014, 15:46
I don't have this model loaded right now but usually this problem can be caused by the engine power setting and/or the propeller thrust setting being greater than 1.0.

[piston_engine]
power_scalar=1.0

[propeller]
thrust_scalar=1.0

Best, Paul

falcon409
March 29th, 2014, 18:23
I don't have this model loaded right now but usually this problem can be caused by the engine power setting and/or the propeller thrust setting being greater than 1.0.

[piston_engine]
power_scalar=1.0

[propeller]
thrust_scalar=1.0

Best, Paul
Paul, how 'bout if it's already set to that? Can those numbers be reduced below 1.0 or is that minimum?

PutPut
March 29th, 2014, 19:37
Paul, how 'bout if it's already set to that? Can those numbers be reduced below 1.0 or is that minimum?

I had never tried that so I just did on my A2D-1 which required the parking brake to keep it still on the runway. I reduced both values from 1.0 to 0.8. It slowed down the idle "creep" but didn't eliminate it. To my surprise it didn't seem to slow down the speed when it is trimmed out for level flight. I think there is more to the Mohawk problem than this but I can't pursue it until I get a chance to reload the plane. Please note the A2D and Mohawk are turboprops which don't seem to have decent flight dynamics in FSX.

Best, Paul

falcon409
March 29th, 2014, 20:08
I had never tried that so I just did on my A2D-1 which required the parking brake to keep it still on the runway. I reduced both values from 1.0 to 0.8. It slowed down the idle "creep" but didn't eliminate it. To my surprise it didn't seem to slow down the speed when it is trimmed out for level flight. I think there is more to the Mohawk problem than this but I can't pursue it until I get a chance to reload the plane. Please note the A2D and Mohawk are turboprops which don't seem to have decent flight dynamics in FSX.

Best, Paul
Thanks Paul. I also tried reducing them from 1.0 to 0.75 (no idea why I chose that number, lol). It stopped the creep, but it also wouldn't generate enough thrust to move the aircraft, lol. I'll continue to tweak those two a bit to see what I can get that's better than what I have right now. Thanks for looking into this, I appreciate it.

normb
March 30th, 2014, 07:14
I had a similar situation with the CV-10 model. I eventually wound up swapping the air file for one based on a SAAB 340. But the real issue appears to be the "509 Prop Pitch Settings?" table (As displayed by AirEd). I swapped in the stock King Air table instead. I may have also replaced the 510,511 & 512 Prop tables as well. Can't remamber right now. Anyway I finally got mine to decelerate completely on landing.

The original 509 on the CV-10T was a flat line. Tim's later update has a King Air type curve. (Wedge shaped).

Norm

PutPut
March 30th, 2014, 08:08
This is good to know; it can be applied to a couple of other "wayward" projects of mine.

Thanks, Paul

falcon409
March 30th, 2014, 09:41
I had a similar situation with the CV-10 model. I eventually wound up swapping the air file for one based on a SAAB 340. But the real issue appears to be the "509 Prop Pitch Settings?" table (As displayed by AirEd). I swapped in the stock King Air table instead. I may have also replaced the 510,511 & 512 Prop tables as well. Can't remamber right now. Anyway I finally got mine to decelerate completely on landing.

The original 509 on the CV-10T was a flat line. Tim's later update has a King Air type curve. (Wedge shaped).

Norm
Good information, but the only one of those tables that can edited (using a hex editor) is 509. . .the King Air doesn't have 510, and the others can't be edited.

napamule
March 30th, 2014, 10:13
No need to 'edit' the tables. As you found out, some can't be edited. But they can be replaced. Open 'to edit' air and place (half screen) on left. Open 'source' air and place (half screen) on right (ie:side by side, with both visible). Both air files must be for same type/engine/power airplane-but you know that already, I guess. Choose wisely.

On left air, right click section (ie: 509) and choose 'Remove Record'. On right air, right click section (ie: 509) and choose 'Copy to Clipboard'. Go back to 'edit' air, right click anywhere, then choose 'Add From Clipboard'. The section will be replaced with new one. Repeat for other sections you want 'changed' by copy/paste with no (Hex) edits necessary. Click 'File' + 'Save'. Done.
Chuck B
Napamule

falcon409
March 30th, 2014, 11:05
No need to 'edit' the tables. As you found out, some can't be edited. But they can be replaced. Open 'to edit' air and place (half screen) on left. Open 'source' air and place (half screen) on right (ie:side by side, with both visible). Both air files must be for same type/engine/power airplane-but you know that already, I guess. Choose wisely.

On left air, right click section (ie: 509) and choose 'Remove Record'. On right air, right click section (ie: 509) and choose 'Copy to Clipboard'. Go back to 'edit' air, right click anywhere, then choose 'Add From Clipboard'. The section will be replaced with new one. Repeat for other sections you want 'changed' by copy/paste with no (Hex) edits necessary. Click 'File' + 'Save'. Done.
Chuck B
Napamule
Excellent, thanks!!

falcon409
March 30th, 2014, 13:03
Well, this one is being shelved. No difference, end result the same. I've put everything back as it was and will just use parking brakes till I need to move, lol. Thanks for all the suggestions.

mal998
March 31st, 2014, 08:14
Try this set of files. Let me know if they help. Back up you originals.

ViperPilot2
March 31st, 2014, 08:46
Well, this one is being shelved. No difference, end result the same. I've put everything back as it was and will just use parking brakes till I need to move, lol. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Falcon - you might want to take a look at this; it's from a Newsletter I got from Bill Ortis @ Lionheart Simulations a couple of years ago, and I think this will solve your issues:

"... Something has been occuring between Flight Simulator, new Joysticks with reverse thrust option, and thrust settings. Some people have been reporting in with issues concerning startup in turboprops, not just by LHC, but others as well, though not all. What happens is when you start the turboprop, it runs out of control with a wild flare up, then returns to normal idle RPM and thrust. This is only with new reverse thrust joysticks and FSX when on the water. We tracked the issue down to several points.

I am happy to announce that there is a fix, and its super simple. Go to your turboprops folder, such as the Epic_LT. Look for the 'aircraft.cfg' file and right click on it. Choose 'Open With' and find Windows Notepad. Open it with that. Navigate down to 'Beta_min=15'. You can get there quickly by clicking Control/F and punching in 'Beta_min' and 'FIND' will get you there fast. Next, note that its at setting 15. This was standard in FS2004 and is also on the ground in FSX, but on startups with turboprops, FS does a wild thing (both FS9 and FSX) as it can spike the throttle high, when you have a joystick that has the reverse thrust' notch in it, giving the engine 10 to 20% throttle during the start mode (flare up). Its worse on the water, as FSX now has a very low drag setting on Floats, so the plane will rocket forward. We think that's why the Cessna Caravan wasnt offered as a float plane in FSX was the start issue. So... Back on track, take the setting of Beta_min and change it from 15 to perhaps 5, even 1. Some preferred less then one, such as 0.5 setting (for float planes). I suggest a setting of 3. This will be good and keep you from running forward. My own computer does not have this issue, but others have reported it. I recommend it for those that like to do 'cold dark' startups on the water."

I used this fix to keep my Turboprops from 'creeping' forward at Idle, and it seemed to work fine.

falcon409
March 31st, 2014, 09:03
Try this set of files. Let me know if they help. Back up you originals.
Thank you mal998 but it's still accelerating, albeit not as extreme. It now only reaches about 60kts. I will try your airfile and cfg file in combination with the "fix" noted above and see if it will settle the airplane down any.

falcon409
March 31st, 2014, 09:24
BINGO! Thanks to everyone who took the time to weigh in on this and for all the suggestions that ultimately led to a successful setup. Very much appreciated!!

normb
March 31st, 2014, 11:03
FWIW: Playing with the various Mohawk air files I found that the air file for the for the "D" Trainer in Tim's FSX SP2 super pack doesn't exibit the acceleration characteristic. Works great with the "C" bird. Torque on vert tape goes way down. Others don't drop below 40% in idle after initial power up.

falcon409
March 31st, 2014, 11:25
FWIW: Playing with the various Mohawk air files I found that the air file for the for the "D" Trainer in Tim's FSX SP2 super pack doesn't exibit the acceleration characteristic. Works great with the "C" bird. Torque on vert tape goes way down. Others don't drop below 40% in idle after initial power up.
Thanks for that Norm.