PDA

View Full Version : Lockheed S-3 Viking - The Sequel Thread

jmbiii
March 24th, 2014, 04:58
Dino said it. Some one has to initiate a new thread on his upcoming S-3. :encouragement:
I can't wait. Well I guess I'll have to though. :adoration:

Craig Taylor
March 24th, 2014, 07:56
Thanks for the reminder. It will be great to have a nice Hoover in FSX! :applause:

Dino Cattaneo
March 24th, 2014, 11:29

Ok, above are some screenshots of the project as it is today... for those who do not know, in the past months I have been working on a S-3B Viking for FSX+Tacpack and compatible with P3D... unfortunately (or or fortunately in these times), recently my job is taken most of my time (and life force) and the result is that the S-3 is way beyond schedule: at the moment, the only thing that can be considered complete is the external model, while pretty much everything else is still WIP.

Long story short: I have no idea when it will be released - but it will take months for sure.

Sieggie
March 24th, 2014, 12:12
Real life always takes priority, as FSX development from a homeless shelter tends to be even slower.

Dave

Craig Taylor
March 24th, 2014, 12:19
Dino,

Well said, jmbiii.

I have thoroughly enjoyed your Tomcat and Goshawk for years. Take your time. I'm sure the S-3 will be top-notch as well.

:encouragement:
Craig

cortomalteseit
March 24th, 2014, 12:35
Dino, probably you're already a single man with 8 arms: you work at F-14, F-35, S-3, MB-326, and who knows what else more! Don't worry, you're much faster than many producers with a lot of people involved! :encouragement::adoration::applause:

gecko65
March 24th, 2014, 14:27
Long story short: I have no idea when it will be released - it will take months for sure, but will be well worth the wait.

There - I fixed it for you :encouragement:

YoYo
March 24th, 2014, 23:15
FSX+Tacpack ....

TacPack? Nice Dino!!!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t31.0-8/882598_723145897698874_414429468_o.jpg

Dino Cattaneo
March 25th, 2014, 03:11
Yes, I am planning for a (limited) set Tacpack functionalities. At minimum it should be able to act as tanker in multiplayer, and release dumb bombs and Harpoons...

simulloyd
March 25th, 2014, 16:52
Anticipating the S-3 Viking release. As solid as Dino's other aircraft have been, I know we won't be disappointed.

It looks great and I suspect that it will come with all the sounds to live up to the name 'Hoover'.

Dino Cattaneo
May 9th, 2014, 01:38
A couple of images from the latest build.
I am in the process of going through the NATOPS manual, system by system, in order to complete an Alpha build in one or two weeks (pics taken in P3Dv2).

Ferry_vO
May 9th, 2014, 02:04
Nice photos Dino, but you are not fooling me! Where are the pics of the flightsim model? ;)

rvn817j
May 9th, 2014, 06:02
Vaawhooop, vawhoooooop, vaaawhooop! (Get it...I'm attempting to give the impression of an S-3 on approach to NAS North Island flying over Coronado Beach.) Looking forward to your model Dino with much anticipation.

YoYo
May 9th, 2014, 06:40
Thanks Dino like always! Do You have plan to do one model of Viking with extended boom (permanent) for TacPack too (for use as AI tanker)?

I saw this picture, so looks like it will be? :)

https://scontent-b-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t31.0-8/1507355_767953233218140_994006199_o.jpg

Dino Cattaneo
May 9th, 2014, 07:05
...actually this is the way the picture was taken. An AI-tanker model is planned (actually I have one already) but at low priority.

JimmyRFR
May 9th, 2014, 10:19
Looking great Dino; I'm really looking forward to this one!!!

MDIvey
May 10th, 2014, 07:56
Your workmanship is first class as always Dino. Any chance of including some Hi-viz schemes when you get that stage Dino?

Matt

Dino Cattaneo
May 10th, 2014, 11:43
There are half a dozen repaints in the works from Groom Lake Simulations... most of them are hi-viz.

MDIvey
May 10th, 2014, 12:57
Great news Dino

Matt

gray eagle
May 10th, 2014, 16:23
No Hoover sounds however the music is nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CVzyJ3Otrc

PRB
May 10th, 2014, 16:32
Nice video. I got my one and only carrier landing in one of those. Actually the mail plane version (US-3). We took off from Diego Garcia and 5 hours later landed on the USS Midway. It was cool. Looking forward to this one.

PRB
May 10th, 2014, 16:41
Hoover noise...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FRJfBW_GQI

gray eagle
May 10th, 2014, 17:00
Hoover noise...

cool...I remember that whoop whoop sound.:adoration:

StormILM
May 10th, 2014, 19:08
Same engines as the A-10 but different nacelles. Some sounds are identical in the two types while other sounds are specific to each type.

Dino Cattaneo
May 17th, 2014, 08:31
Pics with squadron markings (repaints from Groom Like Simulations)...

8341 8342

rsgunner
May 17th, 2014, 09:04
Dino

Looking good. Looking forward to the release.

Russ

YoYo
May 17th, 2014, 12:37
Pics with squadron markings (repaints from Groom Like Simulations)...

8341 8342

I see AGM-84! Is it work with TacPack? :jump:

rvn817j
May 17th, 2014, 14:03
Looking good Dino. Thanks for your work on the S-3. (My old squadron when I was a youngster flying the S-3A).

airattackimages
May 17th, 2014, 16:41
Hoover noise...

Can recognize that NASNI Runway 29 approach a mile away :D

Dino Cattaneo
May 19th, 2014, 04:34
A colorful livery - courtesy of Groom Lake Simulations...
Test for the final build still in progress - about 50% complete...

bully707
May 19th, 2014, 04:36
Dino...superb!
Looking really great! Looking forward to its release, when it is ready! :applause:

MDIvey
May 19th, 2014, 05:20
Lookin good

Matt

stovall
May 19th, 2014, 05:41
Great stuff Dino, our Tomcat will be lonesome no longer.

airattackimages
May 19th, 2014, 05:49
So awesome!

alain0568
May 19th, 2014, 06:56
Hello Dino,

-Great as usual! :applause::applause::applause:
I can put the Iris S-3 hangar!
I am impatient!
Thank you for this work!

Alain

-

YoYo
May 19th, 2014, 07:44
Cant wait too. Is this Harpoon from TacPack?

Dino Cattaneo
May 19th, 2014, 07:51
Yeah, Harpoon is from Tacpack.... but it is not working yet!

The Beta release will probably have very limited (if any) Tacpack functions... but, at least in my plans, there will be Tacpack support for:
- MK 82 / 83 /84
- Harpoon
- Refuel pod
- LAU 68 rockets
- AGM-65E

Weapons system operation is very simplified... and surely will not support "Search" stores and submarine hunting...
And I am sorry to confirm there will be no SENSO / TACCO stations... Still, carrier ops are aleady is really fun! :-)

rvn817j
May 19th, 2014, 08:49
It would be very interesting to see a Mk 48 torp modeled. It could be used against subs and surface vessels.

Although I can neither confirm nor deny that there was this type of weapon carried by the S-3, there is this on Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_101_Lulu .

(In order for the TACCO / SENSO stations to be useful, FSX would have to add / model thermoclines, magnetic flux and various types of sonics (sounds) in the water / ocean environment. Sound / magnetic signature files would have to be added to subs and ocean vessels. TacPac would have to model lofar, difar and active sonobouys. Magnetic detection and the S-3 MAD boom would have to be modeled. Sounds like a bunch of work....anyone? Is this stuff modeled in P3D?)

lazarus
May 19th, 2014, 09:13
It would be very interesting to see a Mk 48 torp modeled. It could be used against subs and surface vessels.

Although I can neither confirm nor deny that there was this type of weapon carried by the S-3, there is this on Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_101_Lulu .

At just under 4000lbs, and 19 ft long, I think a S-3 would need a few modifications to carry one of those. The Mk48 is strictly a submarine weapon, though I think the CGN's had space set aside aft for the weapon,it was never carried.

I have; ready for testing, a set of aerial ASW weapons- ASW torps, conventional and nuclear depth charge's, smoke markers. I have hacked together effects from default effects- using a fx control file to set a delay between impact and detonation. It is ready to test, if I could find testers, however , req's for testers who might actually report back rather than simply taking the alpha packs and running; has met with dead air. I am also stymied on an effect for the nuclear depth bomb- google the 1962 'swordfish' ASROC test- its just a big shock/gas bubble/spray dome/rebound type of boom, like a conventional DC, just a mile across. While I have been successful in creating the effect for torps and DC's, I have not 'cracked the code' to figure out how to scale up the effect for nukes. While we can't sink the sub yet (I have some thoughts, but lack the coding skills-at this point) Any takers? Testing or effects?

Dino, the war Hoover is looking your usual masterwork. I am accelerating completion of the Zumwalt CVL to be ready!:applause::applause:
(&%@#$!* slow intermenet today! DERP DERP DERP....)

Victory103
May 19th, 2014, 09:28
(In order for the TACCO / SENSO stations to be useful, FSX would have to add / model thermoclines, magnetic flux and various types of sonics (sounds) in the water / ocean environment. Sound / magnetic signature files would have to be added to subs and ocean vessels. TacPac would have to model lofar, difar and active sonobouys. Magnetic detection and the S-3 MAD boom would have to be modeled. Sounds like a bunch of work....anyone? Is this stuff modeled in P3D?)

That's a whole separate "sim" in itself, although I would probably buy it having spent hours "in the dip" back in my enlisted days.

Dino, as always looking forward to yet another supreme Naval Aviation model to re-live my one flight in the War Hoover from the boat.

rvn817j
May 19th, 2014, 09:46
At just under 4000lbs, and 19 ft long, I think a S-3 would need a few modifications to carry one of those. The Mk48 is strictly a submarine weapon, though I think the CGN's had space set aside aft for the weapon,it was never carried.

I have; ready for testing, a set of aerial ASW weapons- ASW torps, conventional and nuclear depth charge's, smoke markers. I have hacked together effects from default effects- using a fx control file to set a delay between impact and detonation. It is ready to test, if I could find testers, however , req's for testers who might actually report back rather than simply taking the alpha packs and running; has met with dead air. I am also stymied on an effect for the nuclear depth bomb- google the 1962 'swordfish' ASROC test- its just a big shock/gas bubble/spray dome/rebound type of boom, like a conventional DC, just a mile across. While I have been successful in creating the effect for torps and DC's, I have not 'cracked the code' to figure out how to scale up the effect for nukes. While we can't sink the sub yet (I have some thoughts, but lack the coding skills-at this point) Any takers? Testing or effects?

Dino, the war Hoover is looking your usual masterwork. I am accelerating completion of the Zumwalt CVL to be ready!:applause::applause:
(&%@#$!* slow intermenet today! DERP DERP DERP....)

You are the man when it comes to naval accessories. You're right about the mods for that particular weapon on the S-3, but that is not what I said. If you look at the S-3A Wiki it lists certain nuclear weapons possibly carried by the S-3, but, as I said, I can neither confirm nor deny this. The Mk48 was an error, S-3s carried the Mk46 in my operational days (it was still a pretty big weapon, but not the size of the Mk48). I won't comment on the reliability. We also carried mines internally and, if I recall correctly, one on each wing station if needed. I also remember firing zunis (5 inch rockets), but this was before the S-3 deployed with missiles like the Harpoon or Maverick.

Glad to hear you have weapons ready for test. I'll test them and reply back. Looking forward to it.

lazarus
May 19th, 2014, 09:59
ASW test pack in mt previous post this thread. I did figure out a way to do sea mines, bty. You can lay a field, and it will sit inert for the entire session, and they will detonate when a player runs over them. You can also 'Sweep' from an aircraft. Have not figured out how to make AI ships set off the mines though. Hmmm. I wonder if I can make a sled or a MOP for the CH-53...thats the easy part. How could you tow it? Hoist in mission?
Now a days, sea mines are just dumb bombs fitted with trick fuzes(other than CAPTOR), rather than the 'vegetables' seen in WWII. Similarly, the 'BETTY's' and "LULU's' are long gone, versions of the B-61 or (UK) WE177 with fuzing options for ASW doing the job today.
And, yes, I modeled the B-61( and a selection of nukes from Y-1852 and Y-1563, Mk-17, B-61 and 83) but I am stuffed for a nuke effect (that does not freeze the sim into a slide show- hardware limitations) Chris Skyes moddeled the WE177 in his British weapons pack.
And a note about the nuke effect in the alpha test pack. I don't think I ever tested that one (time, time, time!) Don't know what it does. I can say that it won't blow up your computer, otherwise, despondent sayeth not.
Sorry for Hijacking your thread. I will now shut the #&%@$# up, and return you to your regularly scheduled program.

rvn817j
May 19th, 2014, 10:13
ASW test pack in mt previous post this thread. I did figure out a way to do sea mines, bty. You can lay a field, and it will sit inert for the entire session, and they will detonate when a player runs over them. You can also 'Sweep' from an aircraft. Have not figured out how to make AI ships set off the mines though. Hmmm. I wonder if I can make a sled or a MOP for the CH-53...thats the easy part. How could you tow it? Hoist in mission?

I'll attempt to test over next week and report back.

OT - I have no idea how the "basket" on a buddy store works in FSX, but I think it trails the buddy store behind and below. Could your sled work like the basket on a buddy store? If unable to "hoist" could it just be on / off within certain aircraft flight parameters (i.e., height AGL (in this case "above sea level") and specified airspeed range).

Dino Cattaneo
May 19th, 2014, 10:17
Well, in order not to disappoint anyone in future, please beware that the weapon systems functionality will be extremely limited: not much more than select the station, switch the Master Arm and fire - sorry for that, but I have no time to do more than this...
Now, if you will excuse me, I have an extremely boring night of carrier traps ahead :-)

fliger747
May 19th, 2014, 10:30
This will be great! One of my dad's friends was one of the first to operate the S3, which was quite a transition from the piston S2! Another friend and colegue flew them for a number of years. Interesting plane, will have to try single engine approaches to the boat, something thta wasnt encouraged if alternates were available.

Cheers: tom

lazarus
May 19th, 2014, 11:02

Gee whiz, my brain just will not push start today! I @&$%#! up the FX controller for the NDC. Drop this one into the fx folder and replace, it has the corrected lines.

These are set up as releasable objects from a saved flight. So, 1) save a flight, 2)then exit flight or sim, then go to Documents/Flight Simulator X Files, find your saved flight, 3)open with note pad, and down at the bottom some place, 4) add this line(from the read me file)

[DroppableObjects.0]
ObjectSet.0=Nuclear_Depth_Charge_LULU,2

The last number being the number of 'weapons' you want to carry

Again, apologies in advance; I have been mucking about with a number of effects trying for the right look, and this one I have not tested, so I don't know what it will do, if anything. If you have a favorite nuke effect you want to use, just post THE NAME of the effect, and I'll scribble up a modded fx controller and post it for you. I'll be in and out today. Been rainy, so a good evening for simming. Have to get caught up on some projects.

edit: just loaded up a test flight, and this iteration of NDC does not work as I intended, so back to the drawing board*sighs* I'll push this one up in the queue and try to get a resolution. The rest all should work as intended, and I'll dig for the old thread to put an end to this infernal hijacking.

Dino Cattaneo
May 25th, 2014, 23:28
A quick update... final system check is now 80% complete, an Alpha version (which will lack Tacpack functionality) will be available by the end of the week, but will not be released to the public.
Following that (in a 2-3 weeks timeframe), a Tacpack-capable Beta version will be released to the public.

lazarus
May 25th, 2014, 23:38
:applause::applause::applause:

alain0568
May 25th, 2014, 23:57
Hello Dino,

Alain
-

JimmyRFR
May 26th, 2014, 09:50
Very much looking forward to it Dino!

I was just thinking about this upcoming release yesterday; while at the Wetaskiwin airport yesterday, I noticed a Convair Firecat sitting on the ramp. Was neat to see it, hadn't seen one in person before. It was on the museum ramp, so not sure it was an acquisition, or just visiting.

ryanbatc
May 26th, 2014, 11:27
Most excellent!

Montie
May 31st, 2014, 10:07
This add-on is the one I am looking forward to the most! Will it have a folding tail fin as well?

fsafranek
May 31st, 2014, 14:51
Looking forward to this release. And there is a very nice USS Enterprise carrier (http://www.fspilotshop.com/team-sdb-uss-enterprise-p-3807.html) available to go along with that VS-21 scheme. Just sayin. :ernaehrung004:

Well, in order not to disappoint anyone in future, please beware that the weapon systems functionality will be extremely limited: not much more than select the station, switch the Master Arm and fire - sorry for that, but I have no time to do more than this...
Now, if you will excuse me, I have an extremely boring night of carrier traps ahead :-)

Dino Cattaneo
May 31st, 2014, 16:28
Another quick update... everything seems on plan for a Beta release within a couple of weeks (and possibly earlier than that)...

airattackimages
May 31st, 2014, 17:59
Fantastic, I literally cannot wait :)

orionll
May 31st, 2014, 18:02
There's a video on the vLSO blog: http://vlso.blogspot.com/2014/05/ok-guys-dino-has-just-released-his.html

Dino Cattaneo
June 1st, 2014, 01:24
Just one caveat on the video - that is a demo of the sound package only. The model is outdated (almost 2 months old)... that being said, Serge's work on the sound package is pretty great.
The sounds from the VC during approach are almost identical to the ones in the famous video on youtube that shows a trap from the cockpit... great stuff.

fsafranek
June 1st, 2014, 19:45
This add-on is the one I am looking forward to the most! Will it have a folding tail fin as well?
In the video on the vLSO site Dino referenced above it starts out with both the wings and the tail folded. So, yes.
:ernaehrung004:

Dino Cattaneo
June 2nd, 2014, 01:38
Well, yes - sorry I forgot to answer that question.
"Wing fold" key controls the wing fold (how smart, eh?) while "Water Rudder" key controls the fin erection.

ryanbatc
June 2nd, 2014, 05:50
Fin erection? Sounds exciting lol!

Dino Cattaneo
June 2nd, 2014, 08:43
...yeah, sound funny. But that is the way it is called in the flight manual :-)

Dino

findus
June 2nd, 2014, 08:45
...yeah, sound funny. But that is the way it is called in the flight manual :-)

Dino

Certainly a very good laugh for generations of naval aviators ;-)

ak416
June 2nd, 2014, 08:51
(and possibly earlier than that)...

You just can't resist teasing us can you :a1310:

Dino Cattaneo
June 2nd, 2014, 09:00
Well, we are very close to the public release, outstanding items are really few (but quite boring) - probably 5-10 hours of work will be enough to complete it...

ak416
June 2nd, 2014, 09:31
Well, we are very close to the public release, outstanding items are really few (but quite boring) - probably 5-10 hours of work will be enough to complete it...
Fantastic news, very much looking forward to release.

doublecool
June 5th, 2014, 15:40

Dino... that was over 72 hours ago :ernaehrung004: whats happenin man, whats happenin?

Sorry, but I know some of you were thinkin it...

I wanted to bump this thread and say Thank you Dino and add how much I am looking forward to his next aircraft.

:wavey::applause:

Dino Cattaneo
June 5th, 2014, 16:00
Well... too much "real life" work in these days... No progress since my last update.
Basically release date will depend on the weather during the weekend - if it is bad, we may have the Beta ready sunday evening - but forecasts are good, and I think I'll go relaxing at the beach (sorry!)...

doublecool
June 5th, 2014, 16:14
And you should Young Man

All work and no Play... :dizzy:

JAllen
June 5th, 2014, 16:17
Enjoy the beach but stay safe.

Sundog
June 5th, 2014, 17:17
Well... too much "real life" work in these days... No progress since my last update. Basically release date will depend on the weather during the weekend - if it is bad, we may have the Beta ready sunday evening - but forecasts are good, and I think I'll go relaxing at the beach (sorry!)... Never apologize for enjoying life. Everything else all in good time. Have fun. :)

JimmyRFR
June 5th, 2014, 19:16
I wholeheartedly approve of days spent on the beach, rather than in front of a computer monitor!!

We all are more than able to wait for our toys!

FentiFlier1
June 5th, 2014, 22:06
wise decision!

Dino Cattaneo
June 5th, 2014, 23:38
Rest assured that I'll Always pick a day at the beach instead of one spent in front of a computer monitor! :-)

Anyway, here is the situation at present:
- External model is 99.9% complete
- Virtual cockpit modeling is 95% complete (just few minor details we could even skip for the Beta)
- A Beta flight model is in place which seems to quite nicely (but more testing is needed)... tends to float a little, but in general seems acceptable...
- Alpha sound package by Serge is in place...and sounds great, especially at low regimes
- We have 14 wonderful liveries by Groom Lake Simulations completed
- Tacpack configurator works, dumb bomb and rockets release works as intended (while AGM-84 AGM-65 and refuel pods are not functional)

Regards

Dino

dvj
June 6th, 2014, 06:02
If you want to get excited, go out to the Groom Lake Simulations Facebook page and see many Viking paints. Wow!

orionll
June 8th, 2014, 17:08
Monday, June 9, 2014

S-3B Viking - Beta Release

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-s9U6oWSIyZA/U5T3PEhAfrI/AAAAAAAABu4/Anf2v_JxQoU/s1600/Imag77.jpg

Given that I will not have much time to work on the Viking during the next few weeks, I have decided to release the S-3B Viking "Beta" version as is.
This is a testing version only - you are welcome to download it and fly it, but you should expect several malfunctions and issues.

Continued at Dino's blog:

http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.com/2014/06/s-3b-viking-beta-release.html

Corvette99
June 8th, 2014, 19:34

She's a beauty alright !

StormILM
June 8th, 2014, 19:52
Even in this early beta form, it is in a word, NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CG_1976
June 8th, 2014, 19:55
Must have, lucky VS-41:jump:. Time for a little TJBQ-MUGM love.

b24_witchcraft
June 8th, 2014, 20:30
Very nice and thanks Dino. Looks great even if it is only in Beta stage. :applause:

orionll
June 8th, 2014, 20:49
Carrier in sight.

http://i.imgur.com/Nt8bl40.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/JU8OXtg.jpg

Landing on a pitching deck is hard...

http://i.imgur.com/Prq2Jnm.jpg

Probably got a rolling one wire.

http://i.imgur.com/1Hr4JPq.jpg

fsafranek
June 8th, 2014, 21:52
A beautiful beta release. Really like the engine sounds in front of and behind the aircraft.

A few shots while launching and trapping on the Enterprise.

9094 9095 9093
9091 9092 9090

dhazelgrove
June 8th, 2014, 22:07
Can't find the download link at all.

Dave

delta_lima
June 8th, 2014, 22:18
Had a quick hop - speechless, Dino. Super sweet model, great textures. Am not super familiar with this bird, so will be a great learning experience. Thanks for releasing it as BETA - it's already gorgeous.

Can't find the download link at all.

Dave

Down at bottom of page ....

"If you have read everything, and promise to comply with the rules, you are welcome to download the aicraft by clicking HERE."

dl

gradyhappyg
June 8th, 2014, 23:07
Absolutely beautiful as usual Dino many thanks. But as usual for me had it less than 30 minutes and I Free Willied it AKA broke it. I didn't even know the rudder folded down Ctrl-W. Now where did I put that manual.

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx95/gradyhappyg/2014-6-9_2-9-18-379.png (http://s745.photobucket.com/user/gradyhappyg/media/2014-6-9_2-9-18-379.png.html)

kdfw
June 8th, 2014, 23:49
great plane, fun to fly, looks great.

http://youtu.be/LI0KNJENsOM

Dino Cattaneo
June 9th, 2014, 00:03
Thanks for the appreciation.
I have just realized that the version uploaded is not the latest and greatest... but it is good for testing anyway...
Please take your time - I will not be able to do much work on it for a week or two. Target for final release is in early July.

StormILM
June 9th, 2014, 01:26
This is a quick & dirty few fixes to help out Dino until the next update.
After a little testing, I found one significant bug that was fixable in the config file. When the S-3 was sitting on the ground, I noticed that with the external tanks full, the model listed to one side. On takeoff it displayed a definite fuel load imbalance. Checking the config, I saw where the lateral position of the tanks was the same. I simply removed one of the minus symbols and the issue is fixed.

(back up your original cfg before making any changes)
Here's the fix:
External1 = -36.0, -10, -4.0, 300, 0.0
External2 = -36.0, 10, -4.0, 300, 0.0 //<--the red showing the changed value.

The other thing I noticed is that the gear retraction/extension sequence seemed a good bit slow. After watching real retraction/extension sequences. I determined speeding the sequence up by half would do the trick. The adjusted valuesare in red:

point.0=1, -20.00, 0.00, -5.45, 1600, 0, 0.95, 70, 0.862, 1.96, 0.5100, 7.4, 7, 0, 260.0, 260.0
point.1=1, -38.00, -5.75, -4.5, 1700, 1, 1.06, 0.0, 0.606, 1.4, 0.5456, 7.2, 7.8, 2, 260.0, 260.0
point.2=1, -38.00, 5.75, -4.5, 1700, 2, 1.06, 0.0, 0.606, 1.4, 0.5456, 7.5, 7, 3, 260.0, 260.0

Also made minor changes in the Autopilot to get a slightly more responsive turn rate. You can just copy & paste the entire section:

[autopilot]
autopilot_available= 1
flight_director_available= 1
default_vertical_speed= 1500.0
autothrottle_available= 0
autothrottle_arming_required= 0
autothrottle_max_rpm = 90
autothrottle_takeoff_ga= 0
pitch_takeoff_ga = 8;
max_pitch=10.0
max_pitch_acceleration=1.0
max_pitch_velocity_lo_alt=2.0
max_pitch_velocity_hi_alt=1.5
max_pitch_velocity_lo_alt_breakpoint=20000.0
max_pitch_velocity_hi_alt_breakpoint=28000.0
max_bank=30.0
max_bank_acceleration=3.8//1.8
max_bank_velocity=6.00
max_throttle_rate=0.10
nav_proportional_control=11.00
nav_integrator_control=0.20
nav_derivative_control=0.00
nav_integrator_boundary=2.50
nav_derivative_boundary=0.00
gs_proportional_control=9.52
gs_integrator_control=0.26
gs_derivative_control=0.00
gs_integrator_boundary=0.70
gs_derivative_boundary=0.00
yaw_damper_gain = 1.0
yaw_slip_control_gain=0.000000
yaw_control_uses_trim=0.000000

Dumonceau
June 9th, 2014, 01:27
Mille grazie for this Dino! Just gave her a quick spin and she is a beauty!

Dino Cattaneo
June 9th, 2014, 01:46
You are welcome...

One thing on the gear retraction time - it is set to 14 seconds because the flght manual says so...

alain0568
June 9th, 2014, 01:54
--Big thank you,Dino!:applause::applause::applause:

Alain
-

rsgunner
June 9th, 2014, 04:42
Another version of VS-41 in Lo Lo-Vis texture.

Great job on the Viking Dino.

Russ

Dino Cattaneo
June 9th, 2014, 05:23
Thanks for the appreciation!

Apparently the Beta seems to work fine apart from some minor defects - no strange surprises or behaviors... I'll wait some days before making any further change but as of today the fixes are really quick to implement... maybe we'll have version 1.00 released before the end of the month.

rsgunner
June 9th, 2014, 06:11
This is the setting I use for vLSO.

[Aircraft.1]
ATC_model=S3
Type=Viking
Name=S-3B
Slow=8.2
Fast=6.2
AbeamClose=0.9
AbeamWide=1.1

The abeam settings are from the S-3B NATOPS.
The slow fast is from the T-45C. I am not sure what the actual settings are.

Russ

Dino Cattaneo
June 9th, 2014, 06:41
Well, the onboard AoA indexer is slaved to the Angle of Attack in degrees as follows:
- Green Chevron light 15.5 degrees or more
- Amber "Donut" 14.0 to 16.0
- Red Chevron light 14.5 degrees or less

So donut only is 14.5 to 15.5 degrees - that would be the same as the real thing if AoA units and AoA degrees were the same (but they are not...)...
BTW I would be open to change the default values if other values make more sense...

Christoph_T
June 9th, 2014, 07:53
Hallo Dino,

congrats to your newest masterpiece!!!:applause::applause::applause:
Such a nice surprise for me this morning. It is already a real superb recreation.
I know, that you are no friend of making a paintkit for your models, but have you considerd to make a white clean paint for your S-3??
I think that there are many repainters, who would like to make more real-world and some fictional repaints for this beauty!
Looking forward to every gift that you present to the sim comunity!

Christoph

Victory103
June 9th, 2014, 08:01
Anticipated beta release, looks beyond good right off the shelf. Hope a VS-30 paint is in the works (AA 702 would be exact).

StormILM
June 9th, 2014, 10:44
Dino, regarding the gear retraction/extension time, I saw that value in one of the S-3 manuals as well but from my memory of seeing S-3's at different airfields, the gear movement seemed much quicker. Finding good reference video showing the gear sequence doesn't seem easy to come by but in this early promotional video, you'll see a runway takeoff at !:48 followed by first movement of the left main gear actuator arm at 2:08 and the total sequence appears to be around 8-9 seconds(on actual gear movement). Another video I saw showed about 7 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03Qi7ac7huU

Dino Cattaneo
June 9th, 2014, 10:49
I had no doubt you were right - I was just saying I got the 14s time from the flight manual...

Montie
June 9th, 2014, 11:04
Thanks Dino, love it already:jump:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/Montie/FSX/s3v_zps9c79ebae.jpg~original (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Montie/media/FSX/s3v_zps9c79ebae.jpg.html)

CG_1976
June 9th, 2014, 11:24
Out of TJBQ bound to MUGM the VS-41 Shamrock goes:redfire: Excellent work Dino.

ce_zeta
June 9th, 2014, 11:27
Very impressive work Dino!.

Someone can post approach and landing speeds? and Flaps and landing gear maximum speeds?T
Thx

henrystreet
June 9th, 2014, 11:36
http://www.avialogs.com/index.php/en/aircraft/usa/lockheed/s-3viking/navair-01-s3aab-1-natops-flight-manual-navy-model-s-3b-aircraft.html

ce_zeta
June 9th, 2014, 11:43
Thank you Henry :encouragement:

trowelmaster
June 9th, 2014, 12:23
http://www.avialogs.com/index.php/en/aircraft/usa/lockheed/s-3viking/navair-01-s3aab-1-natops-flight-manual-navy-model-s-3b-aircraft.html

Yep, Thanks Henry...! :adoration:

trowelmaster
June 9th, 2014, 12:45
9111911291139114 She adapted perfectly w/NEUWUC without a hitch, as do all of Dino's Excellent aircraft. No Tac Pac here and the loadouts work perfectly...! :encouragement::encouragement::encouragement:

ST0RM
June 9th, 2014, 13:04
Added Fuel dumping to [Fuel] section

fuel_dump_rate = 0.020

gray eagle
June 9th, 2014, 15:30
Nice Job Dino!! :applause:

I know that this is a beta and the bugs will slowly subside however, I noticed that on engine shutdown, the effect startup=fx_dsb_heat
was still running even though the engines were off. (Engine exhaust was still trailing out back end of both engines)

I put a couple // in front of the effect and although I won't see the effect on startup, the effect won't be running when the engines have completely shutdown.

//startup=fx_dsb_heat

fsafranek
June 9th, 2014, 15:38
Absolutely beautiful as usual Dino many thanks. But as usual for me had it less than 30 minutes and I Free Willied it AKA broke it. I didn't even know the rudder folded down Ctrl-W. Now where did I put that manual.
Dino, perhaps a condition that the gear be extended and the aircraft be on the ground before the Ctrl-W command works?

Thanks for the wing tank position adjustment fix Storm. That leveled her out nicely.

dvj
June 9th, 2014, 16:31
Did someone say "instant classic"?

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2014/06/09/zjL7D.jpghttp://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2014/06/09/im7bk.jpg

ryanbatc
June 9th, 2014, 16:45
Nice shot. Does anyone know how to manipulate the COURSE and HDG bugs on the EHSI? I can't seem to find the switches or knobs.

StormILM
June 9th, 2014, 16:53
Nice shot. Does anyone know how to manipulate the COURSE and HDG bugs on the EHSI? I can't seem to find the switches or knobs.

Yes, first you must select either the Course(indicated by the green arrow) or Heading button(indicated by the blue arrow). Then the two middle buttons(indicated by the red arrows) are pressed to change the course or heading bug.

ST0RM
June 9th, 2014, 17:50
It needs a grease pencil mark on the windscreen to drop weps ;)

I've also added the right seat to the cfg. I didnt have the exact GUID, but this still works well and fits the VC.

[CameraDefinition.001]
Title = "Right Seat"
Guid = {195EAB58-9E4A-1E2A-A34C-A8D9D948F078}
Origin = Virtual Cockpit
MomentumEffect = Yes
SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel
SnapPbhReturn = False
PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
PanPbhReturn = False
Track = None
ShowAxis = YES
AllowZoom = TRUE
InitialZoom = 0.40
SmoothZoomTime = 2.0
ZoomPanScalar = 1.0
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = TRUE
ShowLensFlare=FALSE
Category = Cockpit
PitchPanRate=30
HeadingPanRate=100
PanAcceleratorTime=0
InitialXyz=0.91, 0.0, 0.0
InitialPbh=5, 0, 0

-Jeff

kdfw
June 9th, 2014, 18:01
if using shockwave volumetric landing lights, add

light.7 = 5, -17.5, -0.436, -2.45, fx_shockwave_landing_light_narrow

and in panel.cfg add

gauge01=shockwave_lights!SW Lights_gear, 1, 1, 1, 1

under the [Vcockpit01] section.

jeansy
June 9th, 2014, 21:23
There are half a dozen repaints in the works from Groom Lake Simulations... most of them are hi-viz.

nice, however the Barry Magann factor or what ever he calls himself these days is a turn off (Google Barry Magann anzmi)

Its a shame theres some nice work that is getting done there by the other guys

Dino Cattaneo
June 9th, 2014, 22:50
A couple of miscellaneous asnwers:

- Copilot station was left out on purpose as it is incomplete

- Engine exhaust effect is a leftover from a comparison I did between my aicraft.cfg and the DSB one... they are not meant to be there.

- Good catch on the fuel dump

- Barry Magann: I have Googled as instructed. I did not know anything about that. Anyway, in my case, Groom Lake Simulations provided some excellent repaints for both the F-14D and the S-3B, for free and in a quick and timely manner. I have to confess that I do not know who is working in their team, but for me they did a very good job.

The "WIP" reference document will still be on my blog...

...and, as usual, thanks a lot for the appreciation!

jeansy
June 9th, 2014, 23:07
A couple of miscellaneous asnwers:

- Copilot station was left out on purpose as it is incomplete

- Engine exhaust effect is a leftover from a comparison I did between my aicraft.cfg and the DSB one... they are not meant to be there.

- Good catch on the fuel dump

- Barry Magann: I have Googled as instructed. I did not know anything about that. Anyway, in my case, Groom Lake Simulations provided some excellent repaints for both the F-14D and the S-3B, for free and in a quick and timely manner. I have to confess that I do not know who is working in their team, but for me they did a very good job.

The "WIP" reference document will still be on my blog...

...and, as usual, thanks a lot for the appreciation!

I dont blame you , there are a number of talented guys there, just one bad rotten egg among them, he mainly sticks to the Australian/NZ schemes there

Ferry_vO
June 10th, 2014, 06:11
Mille grazie Dino!

Victory103
June 10th, 2014, 06:15
Dino, very small detail so minute I shouldn't mention it and I understand why you used your current excellent pilot models, but at least in my air wing I never saw S-3 crews wear their masks. Much like the E-2 crews, the O2 was attached to their SV-2 vest. Please don't waste any time even thinking about changing it, just an observation.

gray eagle
June 10th, 2014, 07:45
[QUOTE=Dino Cattaneo;889733]A couple of miscellaneous asnwers:

/QUOTE]

Dino,

So, the exhaust effect was not suppose to be there? I'm confused. Please explain.
I also noted that the fan blades seem to take a while to stop spinning when the engines are shut off. Is that normal?

ST0RM
June 10th, 2014, 07:46
Thank you for this excellent new aircraft Dino. Took it around the coast of SoCal yesterday and and flies really well. Landings were very simple.

I added the second seat view for my use, as it helped to see when trying to make those right patterns. I saw that none of the systems on that side were yet implemented. I didnt intend it as a bug report.

Again, thanks!

-Jeff

Dino Cattaneo
June 10th, 2014, 08:28
@Victory103

Actually I knew that and considered removing the masks... but they do not look as good, so I was undecided and left them in.

@grey eagle

- I did not mean to have engine exhaust effects... they are left-overs in the aicraft.cfg, and I do not have such effects installed (as I do not have the DSB Viking installed anymore). They do not show on my computer just because I do not have them...and forgot to remove them from the .cfg.

- blades spool-down... not sure if there is anything I can do

@St0rm

Actually most copilot systems will not be implemented in the final release. They are Beyond the scope of my rendition.

SH427
June 10th, 2014, 08:46
I downloaded the newest version, 9/6, and it appears the left aileron is tied into the elevator movement.

Dino Cattaneo
June 10th, 2014, 08:50
@SH427

You are correct but, there is no "newer" version. Just one Beta version has been released and will not be updated before the initial release.
My blog is the repository for the issues, you may have seen that the issues has already been identified and solved (in an internal build - I will not release partial fixes)...

Dino Cattaneo
June 10th, 2014, 08:51
...aside, although I visit SOH quite often, please read the instructions on my blog.
The blog is the official repository for all the information on the Beta....

SH427
June 10th, 2014, 09:25
AH, my apologies Dino. It's a fantastic bird and I'll be the first to admit, I skimmed the blog post. I'll go back and give it another look over

gray eagle
June 10th, 2014, 09:47
When I taxi the S-3 over the cat shuttle, (Red Arrow) and extend the launch bar, the plane will bonce back to position shown in yellow circle. Looks like the launch bar assistance is baked into the mdl, Yes?

skyhawka4m
June 10th, 2014, 12:59
Can't seem to get the weapons loader to change....any tips?

ST0RM
June 10th, 2014, 13:38
You have to click on the aircraft at the top if you want to clear things out if you load something and want it removed.

HIH

-Jeff

fsafranek
June 10th, 2014, 15:28
When I taxi the S-3 over the cat shuttle, (Red Arrow) and extend the launch bar, the plane will bonce back to position shown in yellow circle. Looks like the launch bar assistance is baked into the mdl, Yes?
Correct. There is no [launch_assistance] section in the aircraft.cfg so it is hard coded. Would be nice if adding one would overwrite the default.

I don't know if it is worth trying to fix because the zone (for triggering Takeoff Assist) and placement of the shuttle, if even present, will vary from ship model to ship model. Using the same aircraft I'm sure the shuttle on the Nimitz doesn't hit the same as the one on the Enterprise, the CDG, or any other carrier.

I do like that the launch bar must be raised before the gear can be retracted. That's where checklists come in handy.

fsafranek
June 10th, 2014, 15:47
Very impressive work Dino!.

Someone can post approach and landing speeds? and Flaps and landing gear maximum speeds?T
ThxHave you looked at the kneeboard Reference Notes? Unless it is just filler at this point, it is all there.

Actually just found a bug. The lines in the aircraft.cfg file for checklist and reference don't match the file names. Rather than edit all of the [Fltsim.x] sections just rename the two files in the aircraft folder.

"s3_check.htm" should be "s3b_check.htm" and
"s3_ref.htm" should be "s3b_ref.htm"

I'll post a note on the blog.

skyhawka4m
June 10th, 2014, 16:44
You have to click on the aircraft at the top if you want to clear things out if you load something and want it removed.

HIH

-Jeff

still not working......hmmm

dvj
June 10th, 2014, 16:51
still not working......hmmm

I think you need the TacPak installed. Mine does not work either, but I don't have TacPak.

ST0RM
June 10th, 2014, 19:17
I'm not noticing any Chaff or Flares being dispensed, despite the tacpack cfg file showing dispensers with 30 of something.

Was this an oversight?

As a side note, are the tacpack flare effects part of tacpack or part of the 3rd party add-on itself?

Jeff

airattackimages
June 10th, 2014, 19:35
I thought I had seen Dino mention that this version of the beta wouldn't have those features

falcon409
June 10th, 2014, 19:45
I'm not noticing any Chaff or Flares being dispensed, despite the tacpack cfg file showing dispensers with 30 of something.

Was this an oversight?

As a side note, are the tacpack flare effects part of tacpack or part of the 3rd party add-on itself?

Jeff
This from Dino's Blog:
This version was not meant to have any Tacpack functionality, but given that some are already in place I left them in. Basically, the weapon configurator should work, and you can fire rockets and dumb bombs. AGM-84 missiles will not work, nor will the refuel pod, chaffs and flares. NOTE: FILES ARE *NOT* SIGNED: will not be possible to fly in multiplayer if the server cheat control is active.

ST0RM
June 10th, 2014, 20:11
Thanks guys. Must have missed that. I appreciate the point out.

-Jeff

rsgunner
June 11th, 2014, 10:42
Another VS-41 variation.

Russ

georges-andre
June 11th, 2014, 11:03
Hello,
I have test the SB3 with only FSX and Acceleration and it's seems to be great and without major defaults. I don't have tacpack or P3D so i can't say anything for them but with FSX Acce good job and beautifull aircraft, That 's all!!
Thank's a lot Mister Cattanéo:applause:
PS: Excuse me for my english I'm a froogy:adoration:

delta_lima
June 11th, 2014, 11:11
Another VS-41 variation.

Russ

Russell, I look forward to that one ... will be on it like ants at a picnic - looks superb!

DL

ST0RM
June 11th, 2014, 12:09
I'm hoping this repaint will be made. It was available for the old IRIS/DSB Viking, but this new Viking is ages better.

airattackimages
June 11th, 2014, 14:21
This thing is amazing! Thank you Dino... this was for me, your most anticipated project ever.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2913/14214731790_f9e008ce5b_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/nE7dwA)Viking (https://flic.kr/p/nE7dwA) by airattackimages (https://www.flickr.com/people//), on Flickr

MDIvey
June 11th, 2014, 22:16
Thanks for releasing the beta of this Dino. It is up to the exceptionally high standards we have become accustomed to with your work. Only had time for a quick spin but lovin it. Looking forward to having a bit more time to do some flying.

Matt

kdfw
June 11th, 2014, 22:23
slightly reworked the vc textures to match the photos on the web:

i can upload here or send them to Dino (if interested).

Marvin Carter
June 11th, 2014, 23:13
Yes please!!!

alain0568
June 11th, 2014, 23:14
-Yes,me too! :))

Alain
_

Dino Cattaneo
June 12th, 2014, 05:59
Guys, please keep in mind this is a Beta. Texture layout may change (and it will - a little- in the cockpit)...

skyhawka4m
June 12th, 2014, 14:13
I thought I had seen Dino mention that this version of the beta wouldn't have those features

damn! bummer!

doublecool
June 12th, 2014, 16:29
Guys, please keep in mind this is a Beta. Texture layout may change (and it will - a little- in the cockpit)...

Wow... For a beta she sure has character written all over her and the worn interior you have done is Perfect

I got her a little late in the week but as Billy Crystal says "she looks mavelous"

Thank you Sir

DB

lazarus
June 14th, 2014, 01:57
Really, really nice Dino! For a beta-wow!:applause:
I spotted a small glitch in the external model. Fold the tail, and watch the anti-collision beacon. Wups. One for the glitch list.
Damned little wrong, lots to love. I can finally send the old Iris Hoover to the boneyard file.

rsgunner
June 14th, 2014, 05:13
Here are 2 images of a LoViz VS-38. It is my plan to release all my efforts when the beta is over. There may need to be some fine tuning of the textures after changes are made to the model.

Russ

gray eagle
June 14th, 2014, 09:48
How does the tail fold? :bee:

delta_lima
June 14th, 2014, 09:56
Water rudder command.

rsgunner
June 15th, 2014, 05:18
Anticipated beta release, looks beyond good right off the shelf. Hope a VS-30 paint is in the works (AA 702 would be exact).

Here is a LoViz VS-30. The MODEX has been changed to 702. I built a paint kit using the LoViz schemes so I am limited as to what I can produce.

Thanks for your help Frank Safranek.

Russ

Aircanuck
June 15th, 2014, 19:03
.... mayhave missed it ... got the tail to fold ... how bout those wings ??

Thank you Mr. Catteno !!

kdfw
June 15th, 2014, 19:39
just like the real thing, wing/fin fold switches are next to you in the center console:

gradyhappyg
June 15th, 2014, 20:13
.... mayhave missed it ... got the tail to fold ... how bout those wings ??

Thank you Mr. Catteno !!

As mentioned above use the virtual cockpit switches or assign a key combo from your FSX controls menu I use ENTER+W.

alain0568
June 16th, 2014, 02:46
Hello

I have a problem for catapultage (with gauge RFN): push on the throttle causes stall the launch bar, and thus catapulting impossible!:banghead:
-Am I the only one?
Thank you a Dino!

Alain

-

Dino Cattaneo
June 16th, 2014, 04:23
@alain0568

As reported in my blog, there is a strange behaviour of the launch bar when full throttle is applied... does not happen to all users. It is under investigation, and hopefully be fixed for version 1.00. When it happens you may want to lauch the A/C with throttle at idle (does not make a difference for FSX... yes, I know it is lame)

Dino

alain0568
June 16th, 2014, 05:33
-Ok,thank you Dino!

Alain

-

Aircanuck
June 16th, 2014, 09:06
As mentioned above use the virtual cockpit switches or assign a key combo from your FSX controls menu I use ENTER+W.

Forgot, I'd mapped the letter "H" sometime ago as my wing fold button ..... appreciate your help !

doublecool
June 16th, 2014, 22:58
This is a really cool aircraft... 93919392

:applause::applause::applause:

Thanks Dino

CG_1976
June 16th, 2014, 23:41
Houston CGAS is getting jealous:a1089: They want a FSX Rep.

dhazelgrove
June 17th, 2014, 00:16
When are we going to see all those repaints with the Viking longboat on the tail?

Dave

delta_lima
June 17th, 2014, 06:26
When are we going to see all those repaints with the Viking longboat on the tail?

Dave

At least from Russ' point of view, I believe earlier in the thread he mentions his paints await some further changes to the model ... at least that's how I read his post. He's got a couple of nice ones, for sure!

dl

fsafranek
June 17th, 2014, 13:08
With the RFN gauge you need to advance to at least 60% throttle. The gauge will take care of the actual launch speed.

Hello

I have a problem for catapultage (with gauge RFN): push on the throttle causes stall the launch bar, and thus catapulting impossible!:banghead:
-Am I the only one?
Thank you a Dino!

Alain

-

alain0568
June 17th, 2014, 23:11
Hello Franck,

-yes, that's right!
But for me, when I leave the idle position, the launch bar not fit on the hoof,and aircraft ahead !
thank you anyway!

Alain

-

rsgunner
June 18th, 2014, 06:25
Another VS-30 variation.

Again this is from a paint kit I built using the supplied LoViz schemes. I don't have the psd files from the original texture artist. I can only wish.

All my posted images are from P3D.

Russ

doublecool
June 18th, 2014, 16:04

Dino, I am really enjoying your new Viking :wavey::applause::ernaehrung004:

Victory103
June 19th, 2014, 05:01
Russ, great job on the Diamondcutter repaint. I have just about every repaint for each model (2 of them Dino's) to complete a mid-90's to early 2000's CVW-17.

rsgunner
June 19th, 2014, 13:07
A loViz VS-33

Russ

rsgunner
June 22nd, 2014, 11:04
A loViz VS-29

Russ

gray eagle
June 24th, 2014, 09:12
Found this repaint at Flightsim by Antonio Diaz

Nice repaint however, after installation, I noticed that the livery did not show up in the preview.

[fltsim.XX]
title=Lockheed S-3B Viking CONA
sim=S-3B
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=CONA <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< This needs to be changed to match the file name i.e. texture.VX-30_CONA
kb_checklists=s3b_check
kb_reference=s3b_ref
atc_airline=NAVY
atc_flight_number=700
ui_manufacturer=Lockheed
ui_type=S-3B Viking
ui_variation=CONA

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=25793553

real deal:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/40/S-3B_VX-30_in_1942_paint_scheme_at_NAS_Jax_2010.JPG

Daube
June 24th, 2014, 11:16
Sorry if this has been already posted earlier in the topic, but how does your aircraft shadow look like from the VC ?
In P3Dv2, the shadow that is projected on the ground shows an incomplete model. As far as I understood, the game is actually computing the shadow of the VC model instead of the external model. So I see the shadow of the cockpit, but the body of the plane does not show completely :)
I suppose this problem occurs only in P3D and not in FSX, right ?

gray eagle
June 24th, 2014, 16:30
I can either go for full flaps up/down but not in increments (F7)

Dino Cattaneo
June 24th, 2014, 23:55
I was wondering how long it would take for the CONA repaint to show up :-)

Anyway,
as for the flap (and other issues) please refer to my blog for the list of known bug.

Also, I would suggest to repainters to hold until the official non-Beta release - at the moment there are no plans to change anything in the external textures layout but you never know.

For the P3Dv2 cockpit shadows, yes... all shadows in the cockpit (including ground shadows) are calculated by the cockpit model, which is incomplete in many cases (including my aicrafts).
This does not happen in FSX.

Last, I am still struggling to find the time for an official 1.0 release... most probably I will fix the biggest bugs, release it and update it at a later time...

fsafranek
June 25th, 2014, 11:42

Nice scheme but since this bird hasn't spent any length of time at sea, if at all, I don't think it would have any darker touchup painting along the panel lines.

falcon409
June 25th, 2014, 12:13
Nice scheme but since this bird hasn't spent any length of time at sea, if at all, I don't think it would have any darker touchup painting along the panel lines.
Something I was thinking also, especially after seeing the actual bird. It's difficult to make out any seams at all on the real airplane. Still a nice scheme, just a bit too much on the seams and shadowing.

skyhawka4m
June 25th, 2014, 16:24

CONA jet was much cleaner than this but great job

Dino Cattaneo
July 7th, 2014, 00:35
Another nice repaint from Antonio Diaz - I will include that into the initial release.
I am slowly mobing towards the 1.0 release... it is done when it is done, but it is not far away.
I have decided to drop all the features I will not be able to implement before the end of July (such as acting as player-driven tanker in Tacpack) ... they will be added in a future update.

ce_zeta
July 7th, 2014, 05:59
Thanks for news Dino!

delta_lima
July 7th, 2014, 08:54
Great news Dino, I like your incremental approach. As one who doesn't (and likely won't ever) have TAC PAC, it's nice to be not have to wait until some esoteric piece of coding is resolved that won't affect the use is regular sim flying.

As an interesting aside, noting from the last two (NASA and CONA) paint, Mr. Diaz has finally transitioned to FSX. All his work to date has focused on FS9 models (his AS Vigilante paints are superb!) - but the prospect of seeing him tackle some of the native FSX models is a very exciting development.

Here's to some great Hoovering times ahead ...

dl

dvj
July 7th, 2014, 09:05
Thank you for your exceptional contributions to our enjoyment of FSX!

orionll
July 7th, 2014, 16:16
Great! Love the NASA repaint. :)

golakers
July 16th, 2014, 11:20
Started work on a Viking paintjob. Seeya in a while.

Dino Cattaneo
July 16th, 2014, 23:19
Please be aware that there are some minor changes to the texture layout in the final model.
Namely, the inner surfaces of the flaps are now separete textures (to allow ModeX number placements) and the fuel tanks have now specular mapping.

I will release the model before the end of the month.

golakers
July 17th, 2014, 00:18
thanks for the notice. I can alway edit appropriately. You'll like this one, trust me ;-)

Dino Cattaneo
July 28th, 2014, 09:01
Almost there with the S-3 Viking - there are still some bugs I have been unable to squash as of today (biggest one being detachment of the launch bar from catapult shuttle when you apply power), but my vacations are approaching - so basically I'll release what I have on my computer at the end of this week. There may still some bugs, and probably there will not be much documentation, but still it seems a decent Viking rendition right now...

PRB
July 28th, 2014, 09:35
Whoo hoo. Happy days! Thanks Dino.

Ferry_vO
July 28th, 2014, 10:29
Looking forward to the update, Dino! :encouragement:

Dino Cattaneo
August 3rd, 2014, 07:53
Version 0.99 is available for public download on my blog:

http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.it/

There are several (hopefully) minor bugs - but should be OK for most users.

jungle_balloo
August 3rd, 2014, 12:07
YYYEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS ! Thank you very much. :jump: :wavey:

big-mike
August 3rd, 2014, 12:18
YYYEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS ! Thank you very much. :jump: :wavey:

+1!
Thank you,Dino.
Mike

mjrhealth
August 3rd, 2014, 12:41
Thanks Deano, enjoy the holidays

Dino Cattaneo
September 14th, 2014, 23:02
All,

I have fixed some of the small issues that emerged after the 0.99 release - and given that I will not have much time in the next few weeks, I have decided to release version 1.00 "as it is" tonight. It is not significantly better than 0.99, but considering that no major bugs were detected I think it should be OK for most users.

CHANGE LOG
Version 1.00
September 15th 2014

- Improved glass reflection
- Fixed aicraft.cfg entry os that NASA livery was not listed
- Fixed aicraft.cfg manufacturer entry
- Fixed texture on copilot seat (did not match placard)
- Fixed strobe, navigation and formation light switches not working in VC
- Improved flight model, should provide more accurate speeds
- Replaced ASI/Mach and altimeter models with more accurate ones
- Fixed elevator and trim indicators not working
- Fixed landing gear doors reflections
- Fixed APU door is now animated (open and closes with APU switch)
- Files are now signed for Tacpack Multiplayer

KNOWN ISSUES IN THIS RELEASE
- Landing light does not illuminate the ground (compiling the light in the mdl does not work for some reason I do not understand...so the light effect is in the aicraft.cfg - this is why it does not illuminate the ground)
- Authrottle not working as intended (root cause not identified)
- Some users reported issues with the launch bar, but could not be replicated (launch bar does not have issues on my system and seems to work fine - if you have "bumping" issues you may consider not to apply full throttle before launching)

Updated version can be downloaded from my blog:

http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.co.uk/

YoYo
September 15th, 2014, 01:54
Tank You Dino, the news was added.

gray eagle
September 15th, 2014, 06:32
This keeps getting better and better, thanks for a well done addon :encouragement::adoration:

I do have one small comment to make. With regards to the canopy, I removed the file scratch_reflection.dds and that gave me a scratch free canopy.
I wish there weren't as many scratches on it. The v.9 did not have this scratch_reflections.dds in the textures and was addition to the V1.0.
I circled the scratches that I noticed. When you open the scratch_reflection.dds file with dxtbmp, there are bunches of scratches.
Other then remove that file to get a "Clear" canopy view, I would like to view thru inside the canopy with a tad reflection to give the effect that there is glass there.
When I removed that scratch file, the scratches are gone but it looks like the glass is too. Just my 2C worth.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2u4236a.jpg

Dino Cattaneo
September 15th, 2014, 06:46
Thanks for the appreciation - I knew the new glass would have been somewhat controversial... the attempt is to try to render the small scratches / wrinkles that affect such kind of parts (btw the best rendition for such effect is in Microsoft Flight - yes, the infamous one).

As you guessed the "scratch" (I do not remember the file name by heart) governs that effect. It is better to replace it with a 64x64 black bitmap rather than removing it. Scracth was completely absent from 0.9.
I like the rendering (especially in P3Dv2) and I am considering to make it a standard (it is already implemented in the 326 and in the T45).
However it is not the "main" reflection (the reflection is governed by another file) - which is extemely faint (and hard coded in the model) because several users said the initial version (which was aleady quite transparent) was too "solid". Hence I have reduced it. I also got rid of the environment mapping for the same reason (very vocal users...).
Getting rid of the scratch should not do anthing to the main reflection - it is a different file on a different material on a different surfaces (there are two "glasses" - one with the reflection and one with the scracthes).

Regards

Dino

Navy Chief
September 15th, 2014, 06:53
A related anecdote:

Part of my job in the Navy (as an AME) was removing scratches from canopies and windshields. It was a tedious task. Done with various grades of emory cloth, as I recall. Too much pressure while sanding, and you made the problem worse. Too much time sanding, and the light reflection through the canopy would be altered. There was a calculation they used that determined if a canopy replacement was necessary if a certain percentage of the canopy was scratched, and/or the depth of the scratch or scratches were too deep.

NC

odourboy
September 15th, 2014, 07:06
Well I liked the scratches Dino! :encouragement:

YoYo
September 15th, 2014, 07:11
Well I liked the scratches Dino! :encouragement:

Agreed. Like it too :wavey: .

txnetcop
September 15th, 2014, 07:13
I'm into realism, in fact the more the better...please leave the scratches.
Ted

Dino Cattaneo
September 15th, 2014, 07:21
...The scratches will stay, but I am considering to provide alternate textures for those who do not want them.
I am also looking into the working mirrors for P3DV2 - they are easy to implement but they need a bespoke vc model... will do that once it is consolidated (although it seems there are no big issues)...

Dino

Bone
September 15th, 2014, 08:11
Jet windshields are rarely scratched. The type I fly is quite a large fleet with a utilization rate of 10.8 hours a day, operating in high density traffic areas (I'm based at Atlanta Hartsfield, which is the busiest airport in the world), and I fly a lot. You just don't often get them...except for once in awhile, and it may only be one tiny little scratch.

gray eagle
September 15th, 2014, 08:51
Thanks for the appreciation - I knew the new glass would have been somewhat controversial... the attempt is to try to render the small scratches / wrinkles that affect such kind of parts (btw the best rendition for such effect is in Microsoft Flight - yes, the infamous one).

As you guessed the "scratch" (I do not remember the file name by heart) governs that effect. It is better to replace it with a 64x64 black bitmap rather than removing it. Scracth was completely absent from 0.9.
I
Dino

took your advice. Much better now (for me ). Thanks for tip.

http://i60.tinypic.com/14nh3kk.jpg

skyhawka4m
September 15th, 2014, 09:07
Is there any chance you might upgrade the windows to a bit darker shade? The tinting is a feature that is very visible on the S-3.

alain0568
September 15th, 2014, 09:07
Hello,

-Thank you Dino!:applause:

Alain

-

rsgunner
September 15th, 2014, 09:19
Wing fold.

Per the S-3B NATOPS the time to fold the wings takes 20 seconds,

If your interested in getting a more realistic sequence make the below change in the aircraft.cfg file.

The numbers displayed are decimal equivalent of percent per second.

[Folding_wings]
wing_fold_system_type=4
//fold_rates=0.14,0.13
fold_rates=0.05,0.0487

Russ

Dino Cattaneo
September 15th, 2014, 09:48
Wing fold time is one change I forgot to make.
Will look into the darker tint.

...and in general, my apologies if I miss somethings, I try to listen to *ALL* the feeback I get (and it is quite a lot) and I keep track (thorugh a CR spreasheet) of it...but sometimes I miss some specific items (this is for Russ who already pointed out the incorrect wing folding time).

I guess I'll have to update the S-3 sooner than I expected... sorry.

skyhawka4m
September 15th, 2014, 09:55
:applause:

big-mike
September 15th, 2014, 10:46
...The scratches will stay, but I am considering to provide alternate textures for those who do not want them.
Dino

Dino,this would be great(whitout more tinted glass)!
And many thanks for the 1.0.
Mike

morpheusfz
September 15th, 2014, 10:49
Dino Thx for this Excellent Plane, love it.
There is a Little Bug on the Model.

skyhawka4m
September 15th, 2014, 11:04
Hope someone comes out with some cleaner paints. S-3's for the most part when they were gray and white were keep pretty clean.

Damien
September 15th, 2014, 11:54
outstanding job Mr. Cattaneo. :applause: Thank you. -

-Damien

gray eagle
September 15th, 2014, 12:03
Dino,this would be great(whitout more tinted glass)!
And many thanks for the 1.0.
Mike

+1 from me

Thanks Dino for thinking about options on canopy glass :applause::encouragement:

svicar
September 15th, 2014, 12:03
Many, many thanks for all your generosity and hard work.:applause:

gray eagle
September 15th, 2014, 12:15
Dino,

As a suggestion to the glass issue, maybe you could "borrow" a page from the Cessna 150-K 'Ti Bush:

They offered a few glass options including the scratch effect and a few others. See #50 on link below

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?88844-A-new-Cessna-150-K-Ti-Bush-is-released-on-French-VFR/page2

This is from their manual and addresses the various glass options:

Reflections on windows:
In Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\C150-K TiBush\... we will find an alternatives directory.
This directory contains textures files which can modifiy reflections on the aircraft windows. We have work on theses textures to mitigate theses reflections which
are too important in some cases.
If you want to change theses reflections or if you prefer green /blue windows you have some replacement textures in this directory alternatives:
7 files for glass_CV.dds et 3 files for glass_ext.dds
How to:
a) In C150-K TiBush\texture\ rename the 2 files glass_CV.dds et glass_ext.dds to glass_CV.dds.sav et glass_ext.dds.sav
b) Copy the 2 textures chosen in the alternatives directory in the C150-K TiBush\Texture\
c) Rename theses files to glass_CV.dds et glass_ext.dds

skyhawka4m
September 15th, 2014, 12:48
Dino,

As a suggestion to the glass issue, maybe you could "borrow" a page from the Cessna 150-K 'Ti Bush:

They offered a few glass options including the scratch effect and a few others. See #50 on link below

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?88844-A-new-Cessna-150-K-Ti-Bush-is-released-on-French-VFR/page2

This is from their manual and addresses the various glass options:

Reflections on windows:
In Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\C150-K TiBush\... we will find an alternatives directory.
This directory contains textures files which can modifiy reflections on the aircraft windows. We have work on theses textures to mitigate theses reflections which
are too important in some cases.
If you want to change theses reflections or if you prefer green /blue windows you have some replacement textures in this directory alternatives:
7 files for glass_CV.dds et 3 files for glass_ext.dds
How to:
a) In C150-K TiBush\texture\ rename the 2 files glass_CV.dds et glass_ext.dds to glass_CV.dds.sav et glass_ext.dds.sav
b) Copy the 2 textures chosen in the alternatives directory in the C150-K TiBush\Texture\
c) Rename theses files to glass_CV.dds et glass_ext.dds

While this is a cool idea....why wouldn't someone want a more true to life tint to the windows? Seems we beg for accuracy a lot on forum, but a very common and distinctive tint to a window would seem to be an obvious must have to make the plane more realistic. Actually, on the main canopy there is an additional shaded area on the top sections over the pilot and copilot in addition to the normal window tint.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&docid=I1Mvk92dlqVG-M&tbnid=BeFALhOOE0tECM:&ved=0CAUQjBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia% 2Fcommons%2F9%2F9a%2FS-3A_DN-SC-05-07440.JPEG&ei=VlAXVJGKB9G1sQT0voLAAQ&psig=AFQjCNEioQN18T6cgKzVss2WTzK3-NzO2g&ust=1410900438287420

gray eagle
September 15th, 2014, 13:07
While this is a cool idea....why wouldn't someone want a more true to life tint to the windows? Seems we beg for accuracy a lot on forum, but a very common and distinctive tint to a window would seem to be an obvious must have to make the plane more realistic. Actually, on the main canopy there is an additional shaded area on the top sections over the pilot and copilot in addition to the normal window tint.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&docid=I1Mvk92dlqVG-M&tbnid=BeFALhOOE0tECM:&ved=0CAUQjBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia% 2Fcommons%2F9%2F9a%2FS-3A_DN-SC-05-07440.JPEG&ei=VlAXVJGKB9G1sQT0voLAAQ&psig=AFQjCNEioQN18T6cgKzVss2WTzK3-NzO2g&ust=1410900438287420

I just threw that out there for consideration. It really doesn't matter (to me) if any of this comes to fruition. Just offered as suggestions.

10-4

Dino Cattaneo
September 15th, 2014, 16:06
Well, IMHO, everybody has a slightly different perception of what a model should look like.
If I recall correctly from my philosophy class in high school, Plato wanted to banish the painter from his ideal Republic - as trying to mimic the reality on an image is foolish and a waste of time.
On a more basic level, in my opinion, the a good model is not necessarily "realistic" (in terms that it should mimic a photography) but rather convey the idea of what it tries to represent.
For some reason I am not terribly happy with the S-3. It is difficult to say why, but it fails to convince me and I do not think it is my best model yet. It is also true that, so far, no major issues have been highlighted and users seem to like it.
Anyway, as for the glass, I will provide an alternate texture that removes the scratches/wrinkles - although they will stay as default because I like them. The T-45C upgrade will have them, and will also have the alternate texture.

As for the wing hinge, I knew about the misalignment - there is a problem in the model so tha if I align the hinge properly the wings would clash - I will have a look and see if I can improve it but most likely I cannot.

I will let the Viking apart for few days and see if other issues arise - then I will make an update.

Thanks for your feedback and appreciation.

morpheusfz
September 16th, 2014, 02:52

morpheusfz
September 16th, 2014, 02:55
12315 12316

morpheusfz
September 16th, 2014, 03:04
12318 12319

ST0RM
September 16th, 2014, 03:19
Thank you Dino, for your generous gifts and continuous support to improve them.

Jeff

Bone
September 16th, 2014, 05:55
Yes, ditto for me, too. Thanks for the great models. Outstanding work!

MaddogK
September 16th, 2014, 06:55
Very nice, always good to see another Hoover being an old crew member of one. There was a feeling something was a bit off as I looked at all the pics in this thread tho, the crew scale seemed funny, I don't recall the rear windows being so big compared to the pilots size. Then while looking at real pics I found what I was looking for. Sorry, I don't mean for it to sound like criticizm but the model just feels 'weird' when I look at the ingame screenies. Just an observation.

delta_lima
September 16th, 2014, 08:11
Obviously, continuous improvement where possible is good - but Dino, I had a good 45 min hop aboard v1 and had some great fun. Love the model, and Russ's and Antonio's paints are smashing.

I had what appeared to be some coding conflict on the lights - I couldn't turn on the beacons without also turning on the interior panel lights. Turning off the interiors also turned off the beacon/nav lights. Maybe it's just me.

Thanks to all who have worked on this - not usually a fan of late 80s/90s period aircraft, but this one is stunning exception in my hangar.

cheers,

dl

Dino Cattaneo
September 17th, 2014, 00:14
@All (& delta_lima)

There seems to be a bug in the light system indeed - I will double check that.

@MaddogK

I believe I got the whole airframe dimensions wrong (a little oversized), while the crew figures are slightly too thin/small... this is probably the reason why the model may look weird to a trained eye. Unfortunately there is nothing I can do about that at this point.

As I said, I will leave things as they are for a week or two to collect some feedback and then release an update.

seawing
September 17th, 2014, 22:40
Hi Dino!

Again a great release of a great aircraft! Thank you so much for it!!

As of feedback, I would like to rise a few points:
- most important (to me personally, anyways) are the torpedos. I do fully understand that TACPACK cannot at this time handle them other than put them on the aircrfat. Therefor I would like to suggest to have them simply jettisonable, like the tanks. This way one would be able to put them on and drop them again to "simulate" a torpedo launch. Anyway, the weight and the model of the torpedo could be removed by the selective jettison function of TACPACK. I think it would really be worth to have a function like this, since the S-3 is originally a sub hunter and the torpedo is the main weapon system.

- secondly, I see the light switches move in the VC overhead, but I cannot touch them. Is that intentional? Only the key commands make them move. Also, when I touch the turn knobs for the internal lighting of the cockpit, I discovered that the Nav lights also switch off. If I key-command the internal lights off (SHFT-L) the Nav lights stay on.

- the roll rate of the aircraft seems very low to me compared to what I saw the real S-3 do over NAS North Island. I put the effectivness value for the ailerons to 5.0 and it rolls much more like what I saw the real thing do.

- the landing light, although a work around if I understood you correctly, is somewhat misaligned with the light in the model. It should be slightly higher and further to the left (in direction of flight)

- from what I can see in pictures of the real aircrfat the lower gear doors should be closed a little further (at least with hydraulics on the aircraft) and the bomb bay doors be opened a little further (~90°) than they are in the model right now

- the wing fold sequence is to fast compared with video of the real aircraft, as is the tail fold, although I don't know whether the latter can actually be changed in speed for the water rudder function.

So, that is it for the moment! Sorry, but you asked for some feedback ... ;-)

Best regards,

Seawing

Dino Cattaneo
September 17th, 2014, 23:20
Well, I always ask for feedback - and it always welcome. It is the only way to understand where you can improve.
...to be honest, I would have preferred to get more feedback from version 0.99 - most of the issues for which I received feedback were addressed... But in Italy we say "better late than never", and I expected that some people would have skipped v0.99...anyway, I'll tray to update the S-3 when possible...

- Torpedoes, I have to confess I do not know how to create a bespoke, jettisonable object which can be freely used in single player and in multiplayer. Tacpack can be used to get rid of the weight, but to jettison the object it must be a Tacpack object.

- As per my previous message, there is still a bug in the light system - but you should be able to click the switches in v1.00.

- Roll rate - I will double check the flight manual (I do not think I had found clear indications). It would be an easy change anyway.

- Landing light, as well as every .fx effect, may have misplacement errors. It seems aligned on my setup, but I will double check.

- I will check again the doors opening against actual photographs

- Wing fold sequence speed has been already pointed out previously in this thread by Russ (and also noted on V0.99 - my apologies once again for having skipped this!). Afaik, rudder water deployment speed cannot be changed.

Thanks!

Dino

delta_lima
September 18th, 2014, 07:45
Regarding the lights, I can switch them on/off, but what they do seems a bit wonky (as per my earlier post of the beacon and instrument lights being linked).

As with some models (the Flying Stations Bucc, for example) sometimes where you're zoomed at determines whether or not switch can be thrown. Usually cured by zooming in. So switches do seem to work, at least for me ... hope the actual light code logic can get sorted.

Spent a couple of hours doing some FCLP and carrier work last night ... man, is this a fun, stable, and beautiful model to fly. Inclined as I am to anything SIGINT, ELINT and or reconnaissance, I have to say even the ES-3A Shadow, with the antennae farm top and bottom, is a lovely aircraft ...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c5/ES-3A_VQ-5_in_flight_1997.jpeg

Well done Dino, Russ, Antonio, and all other participants. Definitely got Viking fever ... :applause::redfire::applause:

seawing
September 18th, 2014, 12:41
Hello Dino,

well, ok, concerning the torpedos, is there a way you could make the single torpedos removable? When I use your TACPACK stores management "panel" I can only put them all on or remove them all. Could you - as a kind of a work around to the discussed problem - change the management panel so that one could add and remove the torpedos one by one?

I will check the light switches again tomorrow and see how I could "grab" them.

Concerning the doors, I found, for instance, these pictures:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a3/Lockheed_S-3_Viking.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c1/Viking_S-3B.jpg
http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/s-3/images/s-3dm-sh011.jpg
http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/s-3/s-3_03.shtml
http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/s-3/images/s-3b_right_gearwell2.jpg
http://www.skytamer.com/samples/Lockheed_S-3B_Viking_BuNo_159766_USS_Midway_Museum_John_Shupe k.jpg

From these pictures, it appears that the mentioned doors hang down somewhat with no hydraulic power compared to their "on-power" condition.

Thanks again for all your time and effort into this and all your other planes!!

Best regards,

Markus

Dino Cattaneo
September 18th, 2014, 22:41
@Seawing - thanks... but rest assured I already downloaded (and went through) hunderds of pictures (including walkaround sent by fans)... In general, in absence of detailed drawings and specs, it is always possible that there are mistakes.
I will try to improve the model in the next round.

dhazelgrove
September 18th, 2014, 23:14
@Seawing - thanks... but rest assured I already downloaded (and went through) hunderds of pictures (including walkaround sent by fans)... In general, in absence of detailed drawings and specs, it is always possible that there are mistakes.
I will try to improve the model in the next round.

I believe that the word should be "refine", rather than "improve".

The model is already exceptional.

Dave

Dino Cattaneo
September 19th, 2014, 00:08

By the way, extending the project to cover ES-3 and US-3 has been considered and it is not ruled out for the future.

wombat666
September 19th, 2014, 00:58
I believe that the word should be "refine", rather than "improve".

The model is already exceptional.

Dave

+110%.:triumphant:

Dutcheeseblend
September 19th, 2014, 03:44
About the coupling between Nav and Instrument lights, I believe they are coupled by FSX itself. In the modeldef.xml, the animation code for the instrument lights gives both a command to toggle the instrument lights, and the nav lights. I don't know if this is the issue here, but that was what I encountered during my Fokker development. I solved it by creating a custom animation code that removes the nav lights toggle from the instrument lights.

The Viking is beautiful by the way. I've been flying Dino's bird for a few times, but I'm too busy with my own project and real life issues. So sorry for having no feedback ;)

Keep up the good work!

skyhawka4m
September 19th, 2014, 03:51

By the way, extending the project to cover ES-3 and US-3 has been considered and it is not ruled out for the future.

:applause:

Sundog
September 19th, 2014, 14:35
Gathering of the last flyable S-3's. (http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-last-vikings-worlds-remaining-airworthy-s-3bs-asse-1635300517)

delta_lima
September 19th, 2014, 15:04

Awesome ... would bring this old antenna-head much joy.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/intell/systems/images/es-3-litho2.jpg

Meanwhile - thanks for the explanation, DCB - hope that can enable Dino to sort the lights. Not that if not fixed, it'd be the end of the world; it's just nice to extinguish the interior cockpit lights, formation lights, and nav/beacon lights individually of each other. But even if the lights was an "all or nothing" proposition, this bird is already outstanding.

thanks!

dl

golakers
April 2nd, 2015, 22:55
Just almost finished my first repaint for Dino's magnificent Viking. "Almost", because the wolf on the tail is still copied from a low-res jpeg. Since I am a graphic-designer, I usually go the professional route of producing the tail graphics in vectors so I can scale them at will. Before that last step, I'd like to get some feedback on this one.

This is the CAG bird of VS-35 Blue Wolves, BuNo. 160577 NK700, WestPac cruise 1996, CVW-14 aboard USS Carl Vinson.
I have allready done both F-14D CAGs of VF-11 and VF-31 with rainbow tails, so these should fit nicely together. I'll do a low-viz Viking from the same year, right after i nail this one.

Dino Cattaneo
April 2nd, 2015, 23:51
...which reminds me I need to find the time to finish an update I have been working on for a while.

Dino

Christoph_T
June 15th, 2015, 23:04
Mai 1985: The german navy took part in the exercise "fish hunting" in the mediterranean see. This picture was taken near the sardininan coast showing the 43+89 at one of their missions.

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b601/Stoffel86/FlightSimulator/MFG_zpsbiqivtoq.jpg~original (http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Stoffel86/media/FlightSimulator/MFG_zpsbiqivtoq.jpg.html)

flewpastu
June 16th, 2015, 03:10
A little off topic, but did anybody ever make a paint kit for this wonderful aircraft ? I would love to do some paints but can't seem to get them right without a paint kit. Even a simple one would do. Any suggestions ?

Bill

Christoph_T
June 16th, 2015, 05:03
A little off topic, but did anybody ever make a paint kit for this wonderful aircraft ? I would love to do some paints but can't seem to get them right without a paint kit. Even a simple one would do. Any suggestions ?

Bill

No, there is no "official" paintkit. For the paint above, I have made my own. But at the moment it is very customized for the needs of the "Marine" livery.

Christoph

morpheusfz
June 16th, 2015, 07:28
Where can we get this fantastic Paint???

Christoph_T
June 17th, 2015, 00:04
Where can we get this fantastic Paint???

Well, it is still very much a WIP.
Havn't decided yet, if it will make it to the public.
Time will tell....

YoYo
August 15th, 2015, 04:35
Hi,
just question, can't find it. Where is shut off fuel or how to turn off engines?
Throttles doesn't take a "off" position and I don't see fuel cutoff switch.

DaveB
August 15th, 2015, 05:58
ctrl+shift+F1 will do it;)

ATB
DaveB:)

Woogey
June 3rd, 2016, 12:56
[QUOTE=Dino Cattaneo;889733]A couple of miscellaneous asnwers:

/QUOTE]

Dino,

So, the exhaust effect was not suppose to be there? I'm confused. Please explain.
I also noted that the fan blades seem to take a while to stop spinning when the engines are shut off. Is that normal?

Turbofan engines never stop spinning........... They only cease to have power driving the fan blades. Once fuel is cut off, the engine Will spin with even the slightest breeze.

-Woog
Repaint Artist at GroomLake Simulations