PDA

View Full Version : My first repaint

gray eagle
March 18th, 2014, 09:42
My first repaint is VP-4 Skinny Dragons -High Viz for the KBT V3 P-3C.

You can view more info over here http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?85402-P-3-Thread-continued/page18

go thru post #435 - #437. (I added more detail to the tail section.)

http://i60.tinypic.com/2iw4wuh.jpg

After completion, I wanted to add a little more detail to the top of the tail section.

http://i60.tinypic.com/34odoci.jpg

JensOle
March 18th, 2014, 11:51
Looking great!

You might want to remake the US roundel to get the right dimensions on the bars.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Roundel_of_the_USAF.svg

gray eagle
March 18th, 2014, 12:01
Looking great!

You might want to remake the US roundel to get the right dimensions on the bars.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Roundel_of_the_USAF.svg

Thanks, I used the paint kit and they were already painted.

mirage3
March 18th, 2014, 12:05
Very well! My first repaint was of the BSMP Saab 2000 in the Etihad Regional Colours.
Can we exchange our experience via PM?
:) Thanks

fsafranek
March 18th, 2014, 14:34
Off to a good start.

Research, research, research.
:ernaehrung004:

JensOle
March 18th, 2014, 15:08

Yes, the paintkit has a us roundel which should be replaced/reworked. This error is also on most of the other P -3 repaints. Easy to fix though!

gray eagle
March 18th, 2014, 15:13
Yes, the paintkit has a us roundel which should be replaced/reworked. This error is also on most of the other P -3 repaints. Easy to fix though!

Oh well, I'm happy with it for now. I just wanted to see what I could do and how far I can go with it. :adoration:

jmbiii
March 18th, 2014, 17:35
Sorry, I just noticed that I did not change the roundel on the wing when I made the paint kit. The one on the fuselage of the paint kit had been changed and is correct.

gray eagle
March 19th, 2014, 05:00
Sorry, I just noticed that I did not change the roundel on the wing when I made the paint kit. The one on the fuselage of the paint kit had been changed and is correct.

JMBiii,

Could you please send me a PM with what is corrected so I can make the changes. Thanks.

GE

Edit: or send me the corrected paint kit with info as to what was corrected.

gray eagle
March 19th, 2014, 06:48
I've done some research research research and also noticed that their stock US Navy textures do not have any wing bmps included in there texture folders, yet when you choose say
VP-5 (one of KBT's own), the wings appear when you select and fly it. Where are those wings coming from? Also, their (KBT) wings roundels do not measure up to the same as
the US Military standard of what a roundel should look like

http://i62.tinypic.com/rbbbrd.png

Now both left and right start tips are touching the white bars on their respective sides.

Now hold that thought..... and look what KBT uses.....

This is KBT's VP-5 texture

http://i60.tinypic.com/1zn98j5.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/2r6cuxf.jpg

JensOle
March 19th, 2014, 09:13
Thats why It might be a good investment of time to change the roundels on the textures as it will improve the accuracy compared to the real world orion schemes. Roundels are on most aircraft among the first details the eyes focus in on and getting them right is a good start for any repaint :-)

if the wing textures is not in the spesific paint folder, there is probably a shared texture folder which holds all common textures.

jmbiii
March 19th, 2014, 09:46
GE;

Jens is correct. Also check your PM. I'll upload a revised .psd file of the wing textures with a correct version of the roundel in a bit.

Joe

fsafranek
March 19th, 2014, 09:49
Thats why It might be a good investment of time to change the roundels on the textures as it will improve the accuracy compared to the real world orion schemes. Roundels are on most aircraft among the first details the eyes focus in on and getting them right is a good start for any repaint :-)

That's exactly right!
:ernaehrung004:

jmbiii
March 19th, 2014, 10:31
Here's the two wing .psd files for the P-3 paint kit for those who have it.
The roundels have been corrected. The roundel layer on the wing bottom can be copied and pasted on a fuselage layer wherever needed.
I did not include one in the paint kit on the fuselage as the position varies on the different (hi-viz, lo-viz, gray/white, orange/white) paint schemes.

Joe

mirage3
March 19th, 2014, 10:32
Is this P-3 For FSX? :beer: lol very amazing! You are very good!!!!

jmbiii
March 19th, 2014, 10:39
Here's a site with downloads of many templates of national markings and such for use in repainting.

http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=3

Cheers;

Joe

jmbiii
March 19th, 2014, 10:42
Is this P-3 For FSX? :beer: lol very amazing! You are very good!!!!

Yes for FSX. see this thread for availability - http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?85402-P-3-Thread-continued

I also think it's on AVsim or Flightsim recently.

mirage3
March 19th, 2014, 10:59
Uao! Then i can add this to my future fleet of my MilVA. infonavyvirtual.wix.com/home
Are you a member of FS KBT?
Can i add you to my friends :) list?

gray eagle
March 19th, 2014, 12:17
As you can see I fixed the wing top/bottom roundels. I did not use Joe's corrected PSD as I made the changes before the corrected PSD was released. I used Paint.net and added the correct roundel as a layer and resized it on top and bottom best I could. The sides - fuselage is a PITA as the roundels for the fuselage are applied over two different bmp files. Part of the roundel in on one and the remainder is on other bmp file. Wish I knew how to make the fix easier.

This one is a bit hard for me to fix:

JensOle
March 19th, 2014, 13:24
Good to hear!

there are no easy fix for that, only try and error to you get it right..

jmbiii
March 19th, 2014, 17:12
Use the full body file of the paint kit first to place the roundel and other features of the fuselage then select and paste the portion that fits the rear and middle part of the fuselage onto the other .bmp. I believe I had reference marks on the full body to line up on the front and back fuselage .bgl. Sort of hard for to me to explain zackley how to. I'm not conversant with paint but if it does layers, make a new one, line up the ref marks and then merge the layers.

Joe

ps: just got back from work sorry I'm a bit late answering.

Red wine with meat, right ? Then "Ripple" and hot dogs is okay ?

gray eagle
March 20th, 2014, 07:37
I have submitted a the replacement files that will correct the display of the US roundels on the upper/lower wings. Should be out soon.

Joe, I am really really trying to get my arms around what you are 'splaining to me about the fully monty repaint. I was so hoping that there was an easier way without going
thru so much minutia.

Essentially we have one roundel (Both sides of fuselage) that is split between two bmp's

As you can see The KBT guys engineered the roundel so that about 75% of it is in one section and the remainder on the other. So it is Russian roulette getting the the
two sides to dovetail together. Gotta be easier way to do this then do a complete repaint. If the correct roundel were plastered on the two halves in the first place.
Bummer......

jankees
March 20th, 2014, 07:50
trial and error, but of course here you can use the original wrong roundels to position the new one correctly

gray eagle
March 20th, 2014, 09:08
trial and error, but of course here you can use the original wrong roundels to position the new one correctly

Not sure I follow, I keep reading and re reading what you say and nothing clicks. Only thing I get from what you say is to reposition the wrong roundel
and then, layer correct one over it. But to do so, would have original roundel located in area that is not true to real plane.

I was wondering if roundel that I want to layer could be modified where both sections would align correctly with guide marking (On fuselage or roundel) to help.
That's the whole issue here with one image that is split over two bmp files.

JensOle
March 20th, 2014, 11:19

Of course :-) But even so it will probably be a bit of trial and error to get all the pixels aligned.

gray eagle
March 20th, 2014, 11:40
Of course :-) But even so it will probably be a bit of trial and error to get all the pixels aligned.

I've been to that trial and error rodeo a few times before with no success. For the time being, I'll just let it lay. My son is tech savy and I may ask him for some help
otherwise, those fuselage roundels look fine the way they are. :miserable:

gray eagle
March 20th, 2014, 13:21
Posted fix to top and bottom wing roundels for the KBT P3. At least I can do that much.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=4&linkid=18282

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5649&d=1395260019

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5650&d=1395260064

jmbiii
March 20th, 2014, 14:06
Hang on. I'll try to get some screen captures of how to do it. Only takes a few minutes.

Joe

jmbiii
March 20th, 2014, 16:00
Okay, bear with me, I am by no means an expert at painting. However, here is how I transfer from a full body .psd to a .psd of just a portion of the full body.
Aircraft that have a number of .bgl files to paint the fuselage/wings/tail are a bear to paint if you don't have a full body file. It is very difficult to line up the
paint line/lettering/logos on the individual files. With a full body file in a paint kit you paint your scheme/logos/lettering the way you want it. Then you take p
portions of the full body and copy them to a layer in the individual file for that part of the aircraft. There will be some kind of guide marks on the full body file
that line up with an identical mark in the individual file. There are "X's", boxes or some kind of marks used. Some paint kits have different background colors
to match the individual files.

1. Here is the full body of the P-3 paint kit I made with the rear two sections showing.

1. 5679

2. I add an new transparent layer above the tail and mid fuselage layers.

3. On this layer I copy the roundel and place it where I want. It extends over the mid fuselage and tail sections.

4. Then I make a duplicate layer of the just painted layer.

5. I merge one of the roundel layers with the mid section of the fuselage and merge the other copy with the tail section.

5.5683 5684

6. From the mid section I select and copy part of the roundel and the fuselage up to and including the guide mark (Little red box with cross)

Continued next post.

jmbiii
March 20th, 2014, 16:37
Continuing

7. Next I open the file containing the mid fuselage and add a new layer.

7. 5689

8. I then paste the portion I copied from the full body to the new layer. I enlarge the screen so as to line up the guide mark of the copy with the guide mark on the fuselage file.

8. 5692 5693

9. Here you can see the mid fuselage with the roundel layer. Now you can save the front and mid fuselage file.

9. 5695

10. Do the same for the tail. Copy from the full body tail portion with the guide mark, open the tail file, add a layer, paste the copied portion, line up the guide marks and save.

10. 5696 5697 5698 5699

There are other ways to do this, also. If you just want to copy the roundel and not part of the fuselage you could match/copy/paint over the guide mark on the two layers you first added to the
full body file then copy each new layer and paste into the individual texture files for the aircraft.

I tried uploading larger pictures from a third party site, but SOH kept thinking a .jpg was a .gif.
I'm not too good at writing out a how to do it. I hope this helps. If there are questions . . .ask !

gray eagle
March 20th, 2014, 16:56
Thanks for the tutorial. I saved it all to a html file for future reference. I was mainly interested in a way where I could add the roundel only but it looks like I would essentially re-repaint
what I did before. i.e. add/build layers like I did in paint.net then flatten them to a compressed bmp.

jmbiii
March 21st, 2014, 05:43
. . . . . . . . . . .I was mainly interested in a way where I could add the roundel only but it looks like I would essentially re-repaint
what I did before. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

You don't have to repaint the whole side. Just add a new layer with the roundel.
Do what I said in the sentence below #10. After you place the roundel on the full body where you want it (#3), with your drawing tool draw the box/cross guide marks on the new layer right over the ones on the full body (one by the tail and one under the center fuselage). You don't have to duplicate the layer. You then have a layer with nothing but the roundel and guide marks. Do not merge the layer down. Then select and copy the roundel and mark for the mid fuselage as in #6 then do #7 & #8. The roundel will then be in the correct position. Do the same for the tail. I forgot to say delete your roundel layers on the p3_fusel01_t , p3_fuser01_t, p3_fusel02_t, p3_fuser021_t paint kit .psd files . Merge the .psd layers into a .bmp and you're done.

gray eagle
March 24th, 2014, 09:21
Well, I managed to get the correct USA fuselage rondels affixed, but not with jmbii's paint kit. My son helped me yesterday and I had him read the directions and he too found them
to be hard to understand. Rather then use them, he did pretty much what I had tried to do before; trial an error although he can manipulate paint.net (with the photo shop tools plugin)
and was something to watch. He made me a psd template with the correct roundel layer that I can use to back peddle and correct the fuselage roundels on all those other skins.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2iibpsk.jpg

JensOle
March 24th, 2014, 10:56
Nice!

Certainly looks better with the right roundel :-)

gray eagle
March 24th, 2014, 11:45

Not sure I understand that logic, the wrong roundels ARE already there. Kindly break that down a little for me to digest. :adoration:

JensOle
March 24th, 2014, 12:02
Think KISS... the old roundels are already aligned on both textures, so if you put the new roundel on top of the old roundel, they will also most likely line up pretty close to where they need to be. Nothing fancy at all...

gray eagle
March 24th, 2014, 12:25
Not sure of the KISS (I know what the acronym means) I used GUESS....

Another one bites the dust. Don't know if I should make a big patch file for all the textures I u/l'd here that has all the side roundels corrected. Hummm.....

gray eagle
March 24th, 2014, 12:29
Think KISS... the old roundels are already aligned on both textures, so if you put the new roundel on top of the old roundel, they will also most likely line up pretty close to where they need to be. Nothing fancy at all...

I tried that last week and that went south PDQ. Had my son work with the correct roundels and made aligned layers and positioned over the old ones and it was hit and miss. I was doing pretty much the same thing but the results were horrific. Was no easy day for me.

JensOle
March 24th, 2014, 12:58
Sounds very strange , it is an very straightforward task.. cannot really go wrong.

Are you using layered paintkit textures? I sort of cannot understand what can go wrong with the above procedure.

1.Open your layered master texture file (I use psp format)

2. Move the roundel which is a separate layer over the old one.
3. Save the master texture and export as bmp.
4. Convert the bmp file to dds format
5. Take a look at the aircraft in FS and see how the new roundel look.
-Most likely it will be a few pixels off and you need to go back to your layered master texture file and repeat 1-5.
6.Repeat to you are satisfied.

End note: You should always use a non compressed/converted texture file as the start point for your repaint and not the textures you get with the model. That means you either make your own paintkit or get an already made paintkit from somebody. Painting on top of an already exported (and converted) texture makes for a bad result as you loose a lot of the sharpness and details.

gray eagle
March 24th, 2014, 13:39
Sounds very strange , it is an very straightforward task.. cannot really go wrong.

Are you using layered paintkit textures? I sort of cannot understand what can go wrong with the above procedure.

End note: You should always use a non compressed/converted texture file as the start point for your repaint and not the textures you get with the model. That means you either make your own paintkit or get an already made paintkit from somebody. Painting on top of an already exported (and converted) texture makes for a bad result as you loose a lot of the sharpness and details.

Noted: Like I said before, I have been to that rodeo a few time with the very approach you mentioned only my round blue halves would be just enough off so as to not
make a perfect circle and the other bits line up as well.

It is all moot now and water under the bridge as my son who is you age is pretty good at graphic artistry, helped me to get where I am now.

So I have layered PSD files (Templates) from which to gather what I need to fix the roundels.

I think I have done well with the few examples I've exhibited yes?

Cheers. :triumphant:

JensOle
March 24th, 2014, 13:47
Noted: Like I said before, I have been to that rodeo a few time with the very approach you mentioned only my round blue halves would be just enough off so as to not
make a perfect circle and the other bits line up as well.

That's way I said repeat the process until you are satisfied with how it looks :-) No/or few shortcuts in the world of painting..hehe

JensOle
March 24th, 2014, 13:48
They looks good :-)

KISS is a military acronym for Keep It Simple Stupid, or as we would also say, keep it infantry proof...lol

gray eagle
March 24th, 2014, 13:58
They looks good :-)

KISS is a military acronym for Keep It Simple Stupid, or as we would also say, keep it infantry proof...lol

As I mentioned ^(reread #37) , I already know what KISS means.

My project was a DIY on the PDQ. Yet more acronyms to ponder. :)