PDA

View Full Version : Spartan Executive VC Gauge Hi-Res Update

Milton Shupe
March 16th, 2014, 09:05
I awoke early this morning to a request from Thunder100 to upgrade the Spartan Executive VC gauges to high resolution.

So, with nothing pressing at 6AM, I took a serious look at it. I sorted out a way to upgrade just the gauge columns without resorting to a total VC panel redo. End result worked like a charm and doubles the gauge resolution.

I will post the updates here for anyone wishing to try it. Simple installation, 2 folders, one texture update, and easily reversible.

What a difference an early morning Email can make to your day!

pfflyers
March 16th, 2014, 09:17
Thanks a lot Milton!

I've always liked your Spartan. There's one featured in the opening scenes of the old sci-fi movie "When Worlds Collide" which was a favorite of mine also.

thunder100
March 16th, 2014, 10:21
Dear Milton

THANKS SO MUCH

What a great gift to a so great plane

THANKS

Roland

(For non believers-->Look to a Spartan and the year it was build and then look to the Planes US entered WW2-->nothing else need to be said

Blackbird686
March 16th, 2014, 13:41
It just so happens that I have the little Spartan in one (of many) of my hangars. She's active, but hasn't been flown for a while. This upgrade is just what the doctor ordered. Thanks, Milton.

BTW Thunder100, One of my Spartan variants is painted in US ARMY AIR CORPS colours as a "UC-71". The USAAC did press a number of Spartan Executives into service as transports for Military Officers and other important dignitaries during the Second World War.

BB686

Milton Shupe
March 16th, 2014, 13:53
Just a reminder, we released this aircraft in January, 2006, over 8 years ago. :-)

HorusJ
March 16th, 2014, 14:07
Great update Milton! 8 years,wow! I haven't lost interest in this plane since.:encouragement:

Joel

Rudyjo
March 16th, 2014, 17:04
Downloaded Spartan Update.zip, it ends up being something called a php. file. How do you open it?

Tom Clayton
March 16th, 2014, 17:07
It's a known issue if you're running IE11. Try right-clicking the link and choosing Save Target As.

Rudyjo
March 16th, 2014, 17:39
Tried right clicking and Save as target, it says it downloaded it, but I don't know where it ended up. Maybe it can be released as a regular .zip file ?
Didn't know I have something called a IE11, what is it?
EDIT...Found it, but Adobe Reader says it can't open it.

Milton Shupe
March 16th, 2014, 17:47
It is a regular zip file. Your IE is changing it I guess.

By default, look in your My Downloads folder in your My Documents folder or whatever the equivalent is.

Milton Shupe
March 16th, 2014, 17:49
Tried right clicking and Save as target, it says it downloaded it, but I don't know where it ended up. Maybe it can be released as a regular .zip file ?
Didn't know I have something called a IE11, what is it?
EDIT...Found it, but Adobe Reader says it can't open it.

Well, you are right; Adobe Reader cannot open it.

The file needs to be unzipped or decompressed.

Tom Clayton
March 16th, 2014, 18:01
IE11 is Internet Explorer version 11. As far as the file, you may have to change the current file extension to .zip manually. Before you try that, make sure that you're changing the real extension. Go to your control panel and open Folder Options. Click the View tab, and make sure that the box for "Hide extensions for known file types" is unchecked. See attached image.

Tom Clayton
March 16th, 2014, 18:22
Milton, In the new panel folder, I see a cab and folder both named ST_Spartan. Can one be deleted, and if so, which?

Milton Shupe
March 16th, 2014, 18:38
Milton, In the new panel folder, I see a cab and folder both named ST_Spartan. Can one be deleted, and if so, which?

Tom, you can delete the folder. It looks like I unpacked it to borrow some gauges for another project and failed to delete the folder. The dates in the folder agree with the .cab file.

Rudyjo
March 16th, 2014, 18:44
The "Hide extensions for known file types" is unchecked.
I managed to change the php file into a .zip file, when I try to open it, it is once again a .php file.

Will see if it is possible to go back to Internet Explorer 10. As with some Nvidia drivers, the lastest version in not always better.
Edit... would there be any reason why I shouldn't go back to IE10?. I don't know if I have been on IE11 since I built this computer about 1 1/2 years ago, or whether the Microsoft updates automatically install the latest version. I have never seen a .php file until yesterday. I Googled "Internet Explorer" and see that I can download IE10 from Microsoft.

gecko65
March 16th, 2014, 19:57
Mr Shupe - Your vc update is monumentesly appreciated :applause:

(and yes, I did invent a new word there)

Tom Clayton
March 16th, 2014, 21:15
Here's an article for rolling back to IE10:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-windows_7/windows-7-roll-back-of-ie-11-to-ie-10/80c12ee9-cd96-4821-a438-6c773f762d9c

As for Windows updates, I keep mine set to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them." If you're not sure how to change that setting, click the Start button and type in Windows Update (or go there via the Control Panel), then look in the left pane. "Change Settings" should be the third link.

Another option would be to simply install Chrome or Firefox as an alternate browser.

Milton Shupe
March 16th, 2014, 21:35
Tom mentioned earlier about the redundant folder in the Spartan Updates. This is true.

See the attachment that shows the folder that may be deleted.

If you have not downloaded the Spartan Updates yet, you can get a copy without the redundant folder attached to this message.

PeteHam
March 16th, 2014, 22:40
Thanks Milton for the update. :applause:

Love it when the best become even better. :jump:

Pete.

vonernsk
March 17th, 2014, 00:23
Thank you Milton,

All of your creations are like fine old wines - they just keep improving with age!

For RUDYJO: I went through this loop of being unable to unlock the file I had unloaded, always ending up with a 'php' file. All I do now is click on the shortcut to download the file in question and when asked by my PC: 'download as?' I carefully copy in the original file name and zip extension, click and it downloads to the folder I have designated with the file name and extension I have copied.

Hope it works for you.

Mal

t.creed
March 17th, 2014, 14:11
also unable to download as a zipped file...:banghead: what is the php file extension, when its clearly shows .zip ???
rgds
t creed

Wing_Z
March 17th, 2014, 14:54
No problems with zips or anything else for that matter...

For those burdened with ultrawidescreen monitors, a good VC is a must (2D now too ovoid alas).
So thanks for this Milton, very welcome.

I took it for a spin over Rhode Island

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/836/iiml.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/n8iimlj)

So enthused by the pretty gauges, I must've forgotten to top up the oil and had to put down in a hurry.
(This is something I always do to Shupe creations, they sort of have a yearning for Emergency!)
Ended up in a bog, mercifully it floats...

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/703/hz2i.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/jjhz2ij)

Great little plane, 1932? Wow.

Milton Shupe
March 17th, 2014, 16:53
LOL I am with you on that Wing_Z; FS9 and WinXP. Bugger on that bog but hey, you walked away. :-)

darrenvox
March 19th, 2014, 23:17
i dont see much difference in the panel images

Gnoopey
March 20th, 2014, 05:38

Your glasses seem to work OK as you are correct of course!

Milton obviously "only" doubled the gauge resolution by cleverly editing the panel.cfg file ... reading *cough, cough* comprehension ... =>
I awoke early this morning to a request from Thunder100 to upgrade the Spartan Executive VC gauges to high resolution.

So, with nothing pressing at 6AM, I took a serious look at it. I sorted out a way to upgrade just the gauge columns without resorting to a total VC panel redo. End result worked like a charm and doubles the gauge resolution.

... snipped ...
BTW Milton - superb idea! It does work like a charm also with some other "oldies" ;-) :wavey:

[EDIT] BTW2 - *points to pics* - as soon as I finish adjusting P-47 panel.cfg's, I'll post some upgrades if anybody should be interested...)

Willy
March 20th, 2014, 05:48
Thanks Milton! The Spartan is a long time favorite of mine.

Blackbird686
March 20th, 2014, 06:22

But the gauges are much clearer and a lot more readable, even viewing the VC panel with the chair pushed all the way back. (OOOoops... now I can't reach the rudder pedals).

BB686

wbuchart
March 20th, 2014, 06:38
Thanks Milton! I still fly the Spartan in the UC-71 paiont on a regular basis.

You're like the US ARMY, you do more before 6:00 AM than most people do all day!:encouragement:

thunder100
March 20th, 2014, 10:41

Milton obviously "only" doubled the gauge resolution by cleverly editing the panel.cfg file ... reading *cough, cough* comprehension ... =>
BTW Milton - superb idea! It does work like a charm also with some other "oldies" ;-) :wavey:

[EDIT] BTW2 - *points to pics* - as soon as I finish adjusting P-47 panel.cfg's, I'll post some upgrades if anybody should be interested...)

HMMM -->NO

before there was 1 VC section now there are 2 and the main indstruments are in 2nd section with far higher resolution.Just doubling doesnt bring you there.

Need to go back to flying with NC17673 now

Roland

Milton Shupe
March 20th, 2014, 12:23
HMMM -->NO

before there was 1 VC section now there are 2 and the main indstruments are in 2nd section with far higher resolution.Just doubling doesnt bring you there.

Need to go back to flying with NC17673 now

Roland

You are correct. I cut out the 2 wide columns of gauge areas from the original VC panel, made it a 2nd panel; mapped it at a higher resolution, the resized the gauges larger for the new section. It was easier and faster than splitting the panel down the middle and messing with the panel graphics.

It was much more intricate and intense than just changing the panel.cfg.

And yes, I was in the military where much got done in the early morning. :-)

Milton Shupe
March 20th, 2014, 12:40

You are wrong Gnoopy; I would not have done a special release for something so minuscule and ineffective to waste peoples time.

thunder100
March 20th, 2014, 13:50
You are correct. I cut out the 2 wide columns of gauge areas from the original VC panel, made it a 2nd panel; mapped it at a higher resolution, the resized the gauges larger for the new section. It was easier and faster than splitting the panel down the middle and messing with the panel graphics.

It was much more intricate and intense than just changing the panel.cfg.

And yes, I was in the military where much got done in the early morning. :-)

And again really thanks a lot for that.My lesson is to shut up more.

Roland

Still unbelievable how good the oldtimer (in FS Terms) looks in FSX and P3DV2.1 and how well it flys

darrenvox
March 20th, 2014, 15:00
Thanks Milton! I still fly the Spartan in the UC-71 paiont on a regular basis.

You're like the US ARMY, you do more before 6:00 AM than most people do all day!:encouragement:

where did you find the paintjob

Gnoopey
March 20th, 2014, 16:20
You are wrong Gnoopy; I would not have done a special release for something so minuscule and ineffective to waste peoples time.

Ouch - I'm obviously still either too fast or too slow, I'm sorry! Read my 'diagnosing' was too sloppy, hastily done and not thorough enough and my nit picking was inappropriate and wrong! I'm sorry!

Milton Shupe
March 20th, 2014, 17:12
Ouch - I'm obviously still either too fast or too slow, I'm sorry! Read my 'diagnosing' was too sloppy, hastily done and not thorough enough and my nit picking was inappropriate and wrong! I'm sorry!

LOL Not a problem, but now we know the whole story. Thanks for coming back to this my friend. :-)

Blackbird686
March 21st, 2014, 07:17
where did you find the paintjob

It's over at Flightsim... search "Spartan, Milton Shupe" (no quotes) in the search field. There are a number of repaints for the Spartan, including a really nice scheme done by Damian Radice too. If you want the UC-71 specifically... then just plug that into the search field.

BB686

av8erjm
March 21st, 2014, 07:42
What a great aircraft, a dear friend Ben Runyon had one of these and I got a right seat ride. He used to own the Green Mt airstrip in WA, WA67, I'll always remember his generosity in taking me for a 30 or so min ride. Also on a side note I was at a vintage trailer gathering a while back and came upon a Spartan trailer made by Spartan MFG. I guess back in the depression they were MFG anything and everything to keep the company afloat. The trailers I have seen have the same Spartan logo and the same craftsmanship, just sayin'