PDA

View Full Version : Me-262 + my thoughts

Aceaviator91
January 20th, 2009, 14:25
Hey every one,

So iv been playing a lot of EtO campaign lately and I've noticed something, I have been dogfighting with an Me-262. On Hard the setting, I had shot down 5 Typhoons in one flight.

I think if you use the aircraft correctly, it is very formidable. Iv noticed when flying online a lot of people pick planes that turn very tightly. But there is so much more to a dogfight than just the turns. With the Me-262 you can out climb and outrun aircraft, insted of just turning.

Any one else end up dogfighting with the Me-262 as well?

Also any one know of a free screen recorder I can ge? I would like to show you guys some of my dogfights.

Well yeah there are some of my thoughts and questions, happy flying:wavey:

Squiffy
January 20th, 2009, 14:32
Ace you make a great point. In fact two of the sweethearts of the end of the war, the Mustang and Dora were not really turning fighters. Neither was the Jug. I've flown online with people who say "dont' choose a fast one, because I don't want to spend all day" or something like that. Well you know... everyone had to do just that to survive in the day and if it means getting to fly a Dora or Mustang I say, see yah!! I need some room to Cuban 8 past your slow behind and boom and zoom on the return. Don't loose me in the sun or clouds. Supercharger whine is complementary.
:woot:

Aceaviator91
January 22nd, 2009, 10:08
Thanks Squiffy,

By the way, do you know of any programs I can use to record videos of my screen? I would like to post and show you guys some of my dogfights flying the Me-262.

Nonato
January 22nd, 2009, 10:15
Have you tried Fraps??? http://www.fraps.com/ :wavey:

hairyspin
January 22nd, 2009, 11:21
One of the US fighter leaders met a 262 with his 8-Mustang flight and found that the Messerschmitt could fly around a circle while the Mustangs cut across the middle. By placing two fighters ahead, behind, to left of and to right of a flight of bombers they were able to keep the 262 at bay, so he reckoned the 262 a match for eight Mustangs! :isadizzy:

Aceaviator91
January 22nd, 2009, 12:42
I have been trying Fraps trial version, and it becomes a hastel to have to press f9 every 30 seconds when trying to dogfight... But ill keep useing it for now. Thank you.

Know of any others?

Wow Hairyspin, I didnt know that thats pretty cool.

MTG196
January 22nd, 2009, 14:23
Iv noticed when flying online a lot of people pick planes that turn very tightly. But there is so much more to a dogfight than just the turns.

I agree with you 100% on the above issue. Sometimes,when hosting stock games, i would enable only U.S. and German aircraft. It made the dogfights a lot more interesting.

Six O'Clock Shadow
January 23rd, 2009, 09:12
Hey Ace,

You’re right; the key to success in any engagement is to fly the aircraft correctly – that is, to capitalize on that plane’s strengths.

A good pilot adapts his flying style depending on the plane he’s flying. There’s no “one size fits all” solution.

Personally, I love to fly the 262 offline. Usually the U-4 variant, which makes an awesome bomber killer. Its speed and firepower closes the gap, then gets the job done – right now.

What I hate about the 262 is that it’s a pig to land. I can stick the landing in every other plane, but the 262 seems to want a long, flat glide down from 8 miles out at a shallow angle. It also seems to have about a 10mph “window” for touch down speed, and horrible downward visibility. Come in too hot, and crash. Come in cold, and stall out just short of the runway.

I think there are several reasons you don’t see the 262 more in multiplayer. One, is that all jets get very jumpy for the other players in multiplayer. What looks smooth to the jet pilot is a jittery blur for everyone else, which is highly annoying for other players.

Two, even if the host allows jets, most pilots wanting a jet will pick the Vampire over the 262. It’s got the speed of the 262, the firepower of the Tempest, and manueverability somewhere in between. In general, you can use all your Tempest tricks when flying the Vampire, plus take advantage of the extra airspeed to do a few things that would stall the Temp. BUT, since you’re moving faster, you will not turn as tight as the Tempest.

In multiplayer, ‘boom and zoom’ might keep you alive in a fast plane, but you won’t score much. To score, you’ve got to get in the thick of things and stay there … and then you’ll be wishing for a tight turning plane.

Also, if ‘G’ forces and Overstress are turned on, then any abrupt manuever in these jets will likely black you out, or snap the airframe in two. Neither one of which is good for your scoring abilities.

I pretty much stick with the Tempest in multiplayer. True, it won’t turn as tight as the Spit, but it turns “tight enough,” and has a horsepower and firepower advantage that more than makes up the difference. Especially if you’re flying with limited ammo.

I don’t mind guys flying faster planes like the FW190 in MP (you know who you are), because eventually they have to turn and fight. And I’ll be waiting. LOL.

-=6=-

Squiffy
January 23rd, 2009, 12:52
6, you're talking an arena style, WWE game and not historic dogfighting. Afterall, the 262 should always reserve the right to disengage. We can all eat jet exhaust at that point. Missions would be great if they didnt' require so much work to prepare. Maybe somebody needs to make a Fighter Sweep pack or something?

Six O'Clock Shadow
January 23rd, 2009, 13:00
Squiffy -- you're absolutely right.

I am talking about a 16-player, free-for-all, online 'furball.'

Which we all know, no right-minded pilot would enter, in real life. ;)

I was responding to these lines in Ace's original post:

"Iv noticed when flying online a lot of people pick planes that turn very tightly. But there is so much more to a dogfight than just the turns. With the Me-262 you can out climb and outrun aircraft, insted of just turning."

I took these lines to be comprise a question, akin to "Why don't more people fly the 262 online?"

The rest is my $0.03 on the 262 and online play.

-=6=-

Aceaviator91
March 4th, 2009, 07:54
Sorry for gravedigging, Im glad so many people agree with my point.

I try the 262 online from time to time, but because every one uses spits and typhoons I never stand a chance.

I would like to see more Me262 flyers online, maybe an online mission? :ernae: