New Nvida drivers released.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/73780/en-us

Russ

stovall
March 10th, 2014, 07:30
Thanks rsgunner, off to check them out.

Rudyjo
March 10th, 2014, 19:26
Does updating Nvidia drivers do anything to improve FSX ?
I usually do update them, but I've never seen any improvement in FSX.
Some people go back to the previous driver because they think it made things worse.
I only use my computer for FSX and internet.

PHo17
March 10th, 2014, 22:48
Some people go back to the previous driver because they think it made things worse.

Last time I updated the installation program returned the default settings and this really made things worse. Perhaps this is why people complain? After returning my own settings I didn't notice any mentinable improvement or impairment.

Old truth "If something works, don't change it".

Dimus
March 11th, 2014, 01:09
Old truth "If something works, don't change it".

Very true for FSX. For P3D v2 however, new drivers tend to make a difference.

expat
March 11th, 2014, 01:51
I have never really "got" the rush to always get the latest driver thing. They are solid state software and unlike car engines or tires should not "wear out", deteriorate or break. If a newly designed driver - somehow - purportedly managed to improve fps or graphics by 30% or more it would beg more questions as to why the earlier drivers or game software hadn't addressed these bottlenecks previously. Most of the time a new driver fixes a bug with a game that I would never be interested in anyway. And you do read about people having problems and needing to roll them back.

I have a professionally overclocked GTX 780 and still using the drivers it shipped with.

expat
March 11th, 2014, 01:55
. . and I can understand new drivers helping more with P3D v2 as the game software is still more of a WIP compared with FSX.

odourboy
March 11th, 2014, 06:44
The release prior to this one (I think) included improvements to the AA algorithm that allowed higher quality AA at a lower setting - this is a direct benefit to FSX users using DX10. Last fall, driver enhancements were made so the the 600 series (and up) could drive Ultra HD monitors.

OTOH, there were a few releases last summer that resulted in FSX screen freezes in certain instances. So, while it can pay to upgrade, it's worth being picky as YMMV.

Sieggie
March 11th, 2014, 10:58
If you export your MS FSX profile after setting it up, you can then import it again after installing driver updates and it will be back to normal. It seems to get out of sync and the only way I have found to get it back in sync is to reimport after an update.

Dave

Dangerousdave26
March 11th, 2014, 11:07
I gave up updating nVidia drivers for my Laptop a few years ago. The new drivers and software do not fully support my GTX 260M Video card so I will be for the duration at 314.07.

hairyspin
March 11th, 2014, 11:47
I updated recently because some new software wouldn't run with the old driver. Otherwise - it's a 9800GT card - I leave it be. :mixed-smiley-027:

ramjet
March 11th, 2014, 13:11
I saw the new driver notice on start-up and selected to download. Nvidia quickly analyzed my system and opened a new window identifying my components and saying my system could not use the new driver. I am impressed. I always wonder if I will have an issue after upgrading a driver, its great to know for sure, I'm happy with Nvidia.

good flights, Cal

Victory103
April 30th, 2014, 07:22
So no one has had issues with FSX and these drivers? Possibly due to my overseas location and slow ISP, I've been having the black screen issues after about 5mins or so of play this week. I didn't notice an issue with the 334.89 drivers. Currently went back with 332.21 from reported users on the nvidia forums, still have the black screen after about 5mins or so with the stock C-172 at a stock European airport/85% traffic. Never had any issues since I did the UIAutomation fix years ago with my FSX(A)-Gold. I'm running the Geforce GTX 460M on a gaming laptop (ASUS).

Maybe related, over the last few months I've had issues with Firefox locking up after about a 1hr, crashes then sends the report.

I like the post above, if it's not broke, don't fix it when it comes to driver updates, sadly had Nvidia Gforce Exp set up on auto download!

DarrenL
April 30th, 2014, 07:40
So no one has had issues with FSX and these drivers? Possibly due to my overseas location and slow ISP, I've been having the black screen issues after about 5mins or so of play this week. I didn't notice an issue with the 334.89 drivers. Currently went back with 332.21 from reported users on the nvidia forums, still have the black screen after about 5mins or so with the stock C-172 at a stock European airport/85% traffic. Never had any issues since I did the UIAutomation fix years ago with my FSX(A)-Gold. I'm running the Geforce GTX 460M on a gaming laptop (ASUS).

Maybe related, over the last few months I've had issues with Firefox locking up after about a 1hr, crashes then sends the report.

I like the post above, if it's not broke, don't fix it when it comes to driver updates, sadly had Nvidia Gforce Exp set up on auto download!

No issues here.

Did you completely remove the previous drivers before installing the new ones? I always do that and use a driver cleaner to remove all nvidia remains before installing a new. Plus if you go back to an older driver after trying these note the readme instructions of not using the Rollback drivers options in device manager and doing a complete uninstall. Then full reinstall of the previous drivers.

the only annoynace I had was I forgot to do a custom install and it automatically installed that horrible Geforce Experience rubbish, so I uninstalled and reinstalled without it. Then no problems.

Double J
April 30th, 2014, 08:59

No, I tried a few and found them to be worse . Stick with what you know, Nvidia doesn't have FSX in mind (10 year old software) when it updates drivers. They still don't even take p3D2.2 into account either.

wallyboard
April 30th, 2014, 11:07
These new drivers improved FSX performance with my lowly GTX260 considerably, enough to say they're the best yet, at least worth a try.

big-mike
April 30th, 2014, 11:47
No, I tried a few and found them to be worse . Stick with what you know, Nvidia doesn't have FSX in mind (10 year old software) when it updates drivers. They still don't even take p3D2.2 into account either.

Agreed.
My Driver is more than a year old----makes no sense for me to upgrade.
Mike

_ben
May 1st, 2014, 00:57
Everybody's different. Some people rave (with late cards), others not so
MY results were great with my 560M.
NO obvious fps increase; BUT, so much smoother (no stutters)
I had added Wx program which came down to 4fps with Overcast or Thunderstorm type condition.
I have DX10Fixer, Rex4 - everything looked great in nice weather
So followed Paul J's guide
Reduce Radius, Reduced Scenery complexity ( a bit ), almost no FSX AI cars,etc ( would drop fps from 15 to 4)
AA from 16 down to 2 , Vsync half FPS of 30.
Was getting [2 out of 3 ]28fps, then 6 fps on FSX frame info at top of screen
Finally installed the driver ( I had old 29x.x oor thereabouts)
So if you're pushing your system to it's limits,
I'd say give it a go

Victory103
May 1st, 2014, 10:02
No issues here.

Did you completely remove the previous drivers before installing the new ones? I always do that and use a driver cleaner to remove all nvidia remains before installing a new. Plus if you go back to an older driver after trying these note the readme instructions of not using the Rollback drivers options in device manager and doing a complete uninstall. Then full reinstall of the previous drivers.

the only annoynace I had was I forgot to do a custom install and it automatically installed that horrible Geforce Experience rubbish, so I uninstalled and reinstalled without it. Then no problems.

Thanks for the tip, and I did notice most on the nvidia forums mentioned uninstalling, but I have never had a single issue. Downloading DDU to remove the drivers. Both the 334 and 335 drivers were auto-updated since moving to this slow ISP via Geforce Exp. I'll get rid of the Geforce program as well, I only have one game it supports (Arma), as most of the "games" I play are sims (FSX, F4BMS, DCS series). I hate taking the time to research this, I've done all the standard FSX cfg changes over the years and can honestly say FSX has been pretty stable throughout since the transition from FS9.

Naismith
May 1st, 2014, 10:42
Well all I can say on the issue is that I am more than pleased with these new drivers. FSX has been running non stop for 3 days now, sometimes in flying mostly on the Windows taskbar. FPS are steady and very little stuttering in DX10 mode. I cannot comment on older drivers as I have no experience of them. I am a recent convert to Nv having traded in my AMD card for a GTX660. AMD/Ati was for ever crashing and stuttering. Plus the NV variety for multiple screens is easier to setup over Eyefinity and a smoother experience. Then of course there is the added benefit of the ShadowPlay recorder.
So glad I got the 660 by Asus.