PDA

View Full Version : Across The Continet In The Boeing XB-52

casey jones
March 4th, 2014, 10:32
Once again I found another gem the B-52 Pack by Mr Yaetsu Yoshimitsu and Mr Hiroaki Kubota for
FS9. The pack has the XB-52, B-52D, B-52G, B-52B. Of course my favorite has always been the
B-52G which was not the darling of the Air Force. Then I was drawn to the XB-52 which had a
cockpit that placed the pilot and co-pilot in tandum under a one piece fighter like canopy like
the B-47. The XB-52 modeled does not have a 2D panel but a VC only so I borrowed the cockpit
and canopy from the B-47 and it fit just perfect and merged with the VC of the XB-52. My test
flight in the XB-52 was from Goodfellow AFB Texas non-stop to Beale AFB California. Takeoff was
at dusk climbing very smartly to 20,000 ft . I could look back through the canopy and see the engines
and the co-pilot moving about in the rear seat. I approached Beale AFB in darkness the Beale tower
gave me clearance to land I had to make a very wide turn in order to line up with the runway, the
XB-52 model is very rock steady and very confitable to maneuver with no strain at all, I should have
been on IFR but Beale was very well lit up, the XB-52 touched down and I began applying brakes,
there is no drag parachute for the model XB-52 but managed to stop and turn off the runway on to
the taxiway parking near some dromes and U2s also parked on the tarmac. The XB-52 was scrapped
in 1960, there were two prototypes.:wavey:

Cheers

Casey