PDA

View Full Version : UH60_Blackhawks?

falcon409
February 26th, 2014, 03:48
Other than the one over at Hovercontrol, are there any other (better) Blackhawks available in Freeware? I'm about to tackle that one in a big way by updating the exterior and interior texturing. Adding panel lines, rivets, decals and other markings as well as redoing the VC. . .all with much larger textures to enhance the resolution. If there's another one out there that already has those enhancements, it would save me a lot of work. . .if not then I'll move ahead with what I have planned for the Hovercontrol version. Thanks!

Note: Yes I know there's at least one payware Blackhawk. . .but I'm not looking for payware. . .only freeware.

Navy Chief
February 26th, 2014, 04:19
:encouragement::applause:

Go Falcon!!!!! Thanks in advance! NC

falcon409
February 26th, 2014, 06:50
Well Pete, looks like this one is a no go. I added a grid pattern to the external textures to get an idea of how things matched up. Take a close look at the grid and you can see that every texture is sized differently. The textures are all the same size (in the texture folder), but when applied to the external in the model, they are all done differently. Probably the reason there was never any details added to the outside of this Helicopter. Not sure why you would do that but it would be a tedious, head banging job to get anything to line up and be the same size. Rivets and lines would be a hit and miss prospect at best. Anyways, this one is done before it ever got started.:pop4:

Navy Chief
February 26th, 2014, 07:46
Well Pete, looks like this one is a no go. I added a grid pattern to the external textures to get an idea of how things matched up. Take a close look at the grid and you can see that every texture is sized differently. The textures are all the same size (in the texture folder), but when applied to the external in the model, they are all done differently. Probably the reason there was never any details added to the outside of this Helicopter. Not sure why you would do that but it would be a tedious, head banging job to get anything to line up and be the same size. Rivets and lines would be a hit and miss prospect at best. Anyways, this one is done before it ever got started.:pop4:

Oh well, maybe the payware version will go on sale at a inexpensive price? Thanks for the attempt, at any rate, Ed! Pete

falcon409
February 26th, 2014, 07:55
Oh well, maybe the payware version will go on sale at a inexpensive price? Thanks for the attempt, at any rate, Ed! Pete
Yep, I can't currently justify paying for the Blackhawk as it's not a Helicopter I would fly very often, just one I would like to have available.

Victory103
February 26th, 2014, 08:51
falcon409,
I'm assuming you have the HC OSD kit for this project? Sadly yes it's the only freeware H-60 out. Have you seen the latest USN models based on this kit over on Hovercontrol? One member is reworking the kit to redesign HH-60H's and the rest of the series eventually. The VC could really use some work. I have plenty of reference material if needed.

Navy Chief
February 26th, 2014, 09:16
falcon409,
I'm assuming you have the HC OSD kit for this project? Sadly yes it's the only freeware H-60 out. Have you seen the latest USN models based on this kit over on Hovercontrol? One member is reworking the kit to redesign HH-60H's and the rest of the series eventually. The VC could really use some work. I have plenty of reference material if needed.

Someone say USN? Got my attention...:unitedstates:

falcon409
February 26th, 2014, 09:34
falcon409,
Don't know what the OSD Kit is but I'll look into it. Anything you have for the interior, especially anything on the main panel and center consoles areas would be great.

simulloyd
February 26th, 2014, 14:04
falcon409,

I agree. There are some HH-60H Package on Hovercontrol are nice looking on the outside and sound just like I remember from inside the Helo Control Officer tower on the Frigate.

falcon409
February 26th, 2014, 15:55
I agree. There are some HH-60H Package on Hovercontrol are nice looking on the outside and sound just like I remember from inside the Helo Control Officer tower on the Frigate.
Do you have a name of the person who is doing these updates? Something I can plug into the search engine? There are quite a few over there and I don't want to have to download every one looking for the right one.
Thanks!

Update: Found one by Hill Viking. Four different Navy variants based off the Jayhawk. Guess if they are good enough I can make some adjustments to the exterior to mimick the Blackhawk.

simulloyd
February 26th, 2014, 18:23
You found the package that we have been mentioning. And correct, they are Navy configured helos.

Best of luck with your plans.

falcon409
February 26th, 2014, 19:13
You found the package that we have been mentioning. And correct, they are Navy configured helos.
Best of luck with your plans.
Thanks. I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I'm enlarging the textures and doing a layered kit so I can give the rivets some depth. It's far better than the base UH-60 package on the outside, but I like to be able to read the stencils and placards, lol. Also, the cockpit is still kinda funky (blurry), so if I can find some better images I'll sharpen that up too. Also, the right portion of the VC is blacked out...haven't gotten into it enough to figure out why. Obviously gauges are supposed to go there, but none show right now.

Flies nice, is very stable in flight too. Thanks for the HU on this package!!

uniform7
February 27th, 2014, 10:42
Following this thread I downloaded a few of Hill Viking's Helicopters and when I went to load them and go to the selected airport when the bar reached 100% the program stopped responding. Did I miss something? I have A lot of aircraft and they load just fine. Never mind, I got very nice to!

strikehawk
February 27th, 2014, 17:15
Falcon, that Hotel is a great bird but there were some problems with the VC not showing so I removed it, did they get that finally fixed? If so then it's back into my sim. Ever since the LZ closed it's doors the Foxtrot and Hotel models of the 60 have been MIA. I wish that the payware publishers realized that not all Navy H-60's are ASW platforms, and the mission that the HCS/HSC communities with our HH-60H aircraft is a very important one, one that I am proud to say I participated in. In all the deployments that the Redwolves and Firehawks undertook in the War on Terror and OIF not one aircraft was lost or a crewman killed or injured due to enemy action.

Okay, I'll get off my pro HCS rant and go back to flying helos:costumed-smiley-071

falcon409
February 27th, 2014, 18:00
Falcon, that Hotel is a great bird but there were some problems with the VC not showing so I removed it, did they get that finally fixed? If so then it's back into my sim.. . . . .
Well, I did notice that on some of the Heli's the right side of the panel is blacked out and no gauges showing. . .on others, the full panel shows but there are no working gauges. I have yet to put it into FSPanel Studio to see what's what. . .but if there's anything I can do to fix it, then I will. Right now I'm redoing the external textures for a higher res look.

uniform7
February 27th, 2014, 18:33
Well, I did notice that on some of the Heli's the right side of the panel is blacked out and no gauges showing. . .on others, the full panel shows but there are no working gauges. I have yet to put it into FSPanel Studio to see what's what. . .but if there's anything I can do to fix it, then I will. Right now I'm redoing the external textures for a higher res look.

I to could not fix the blacked out right side panel on the HH-60H_Rescue_Hawk.zip. also installed the
Sikorsky_MH-60J.zip and it seemed pretty nice (been looking for that SAR for awhile)
I also had trouble when I loaded the two and went to an airport at 100% the program quit responding. I removed about 10GB of aircraft from the aircraft folder and they loaded up fine. I guess I had to many aircraft files installed. Didn't think I could overload. Still had about 50GB open on the hard drive.

falcon409
February 28th, 2014, 20:38
I PM'd the guy doing the design work on the HH-60's at HoverControl. He says he really doesn't know how to do VC's and so he actually was hoping someone else would take the basic VC and improve on it. He said he did what he could to make it work, but it was just beyond his abilities. . .He's sending me what he has that should make it work. In the meantime I'm producing a new main panel to replace the photoreal version. If it was of a better resolution, I'd keep it, but it's just beyond the limits of usability, lol. If anyone has good photos of the center console and overhead that I could use, please let me know. Thanks!

falcon409
March 1st, 2014, 06:13
:bump::bump:Victory103. . .any reference material you can share for this?

uniform7
March 1st, 2014, 10:00
It's over my head but sure would like to see an improvement as well.

falcon409
March 1st, 2014, 11:06
I'm moving ahead with the new VC texturing. I'm waiting on the developer to send me what he has and I'll continue to work on the main VC panel. I'm doing the individual bezels right now so that I can set the gauges into them when completed. One word on the work I'm doing. . .I don't do variations, lol. I don't know how many different configurations there were/are for the HU/HH-60's, but this will be the only panel I do.

falcon409
March 2nd, 2014, 02:49
A WIP of the Blackhawk VC Panel.

uniform7
March 2nd, 2014, 05:19
Oh ya! That would sure be nice as the VC.

Victory103
March 4th, 2014, 12:39
Falcon, did you decide on which version you are trying to build or update? Looks like you have all the info from the USN project, and Jordan's OSD kit is on the HC site for those wanting to remodel and repaint the base UH-60 model. I ask about the variant as there are so many out there, the above panel is from a 60L, but the current model, "M", is all glass. For the glass to work correctly, that may take some xml coding to right. A basic stream gauge version might be easier. PM'd replied.