PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Techies

MaskRider
February 24th, 2014, 09:47
Hi all!

Got a question unrelated to CFS2 but thought I would broach it just because there is always a wealth of talent and experience to tap into around here.

For years- probably 10- I have been using an old Adobe program, PageMill, as a basic starting point for website design. It has always served my very modest needs very nicely.

Recently, early last year, I got a new laptop with Window 8 loaded on it. All of my old reliable programs tranferred just fine to the new rig- everything except PageMill. Windows 8 wouldn't install it.

I forget just what the issue was but it was something to do with the fact that Windows 8 is 64-bit and PageMill is 32-bit based? I think that was it. Anyway- I seem to recall from somewhere that there is a way to install and run old Windows legacy based programs on Windows 8 by forcing Window 8 to recognize them as old 32-bit programs and run them as such. Does anyone know what I am talking about- because I don't - and know if this actually can be done?

I can still use PageMill, but only on my old XP-based flight-simming desktop rig.

Thanks

MR

Shessi
February 24th, 2014, 11:36
MR,
I appreciate this is for Win7 but try this as it may work for Win8....

"I have Pagemil 2.0 and recently got a new computer with Windows 7 64 bit. I have found a way to run Pagemil on my new computer. I had copied the folder from another harddrive onto my back up portable harddrive. It was not installed, just copy and pasted. I opened my Pagemil folder and looked for the icon to start the program and it worked. I then just copied the folder (not installed the program) onto my new computer. I pinned the icon to the start page and it seems to be working perfectly. You don't know how relieved it has made me. I had bought or downloaded several other programs, but nothing worked lik Pagemil. I don't know if Pagemil 3 will work, bit if Pagemil 2 does 3 should work as well. Bet you can do that with most other 32 bit stuff. I was talking about maybe changing to 32 bit Windows now I don't have to. Is Pagemil 3 much different from 2? How could I get it???"

From the responses it seems to work well. If not you could install VM ware, and run a virtual machine with XP and then PageMill on your Win8 pc.

Cheers

Shessi

MaskRider
February 24th, 2014, 18:27
BINGO!
:ernaehrung004:
Thanks Shessi! That did the trick!

Gave me a chance to try out Amazon Cloud Drive whie I was at it. I uploaded the PageMill3 folder from the XP rig to the Cloud and then downloaded it from the cloud to my Windows8 rig. Then I dumped it into my Programs (X86) folder. Created a shortcut to the PageMill executable on the desktop and "voila!", Bob's your Uncle!

Again, many thanks!

Chris

Shessi
February 25th, 2014, 00:02
:ernaehrung004:

Shessi

kdriver
February 25th, 2014, 07:56
I found I had the same problem with my old version of Creative Suite. I got around it by typing C:\Progra~2\Adobe when asked where I would like the program installed.

MaskRider
February 25th, 2014, 10:56
Hi kdriver,

Thanks for the info. Just out of curiosity I decided to see if I could get your method to work for me on PageMill. No joy. I can't even get the setup routine to begin. I tried both clicking directly on the setup.exe file and using the autoplay install menu. When I double click the setup.exe file a window immediately pops up telling me that Windows8 can not run this file. When I click the "Install PageMill3" button on the install-disk's autoplay menu- nothing happens. The problem seems to be not so much with PageMill itself as it is with the configuration of its setup.exe file.

Sure glad I didn't toss my old desktop with its installed PageMill folder!

Thanks for the help
Chris

kdriver
February 26th, 2014, 07:39
Hi Chris,

You're welcome - sorry I couldn't be of any help with that method. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit.

Kevin