PDA

View Full Version : Vertical hard surfaces..?

Seahawk72s
February 19th, 2014, 11:42
Hello,
In FSX is it possible to model hard surfaces that are vertical..? Such as walls for a ship..?

thanks...

anthony31
February 19th, 2014, 13:32
I guess yes.

You can create a platform (which is what the deck of an aircraft carrier is) and that can be any angle or shape you like so there is no reason why a platform could not be vertical. To create a platform you model whatever shape you want and then assign a special name to it which tells the compiler to create a platform rather than render the part. What actually happens when you run a plane into a vertical platform is something I do not know.

paiken
February 19th, 2014, 19:44
What actually happens when you run a plane into a vertical platform is something I do not know.

I can almost hear the metal and glass crunching now.:biggrin-new:

jagl04
February 20th, 2014, 13:12
I can almost hear the metal and glass crunching now.:biggrin-new:

Not really. That happenns only if you activate "crash" option when you compile the object. In fact, if you land too fast on a hard deck without crash option, you will cross it.

The question is: why do you need a vertical landing platform?

mmann
February 21st, 2014, 04:39
The question is: why do you need a vertical landing platform? Same question I have. Yes you can create a vertical platform; but platforms create a performance penalty, so what would be the point if you can't land on it?

COBS
February 21st, 2014, 04:59
One possible answer is Exocet and Harpoon missiles .

Cheers
Karol

lazarus
February 21st, 2014, 12:11
I found some inadvertent vertical surfaces in some of my space stations. A result of my own jerk-a$$ fumbling about. When you ran into one its a quick stop and slide down to the bottom. I have been messing about with hard surface everything for the specific reason of giving weapons something to hit, which works, but can be very, very hard on framerates.

Seahawk72s
March 1st, 2014, 12:54
I found some inadvertent vertical surfaces in some of my space stations. A result of my own jerk-a$$ fumbling about. When you ran into one its a quick stop and slide down to the bottom. I have been messing about with hard surface everything for the specific reason of giving weapons something to hit, which works, but can be very, very hard on framerates. I am thinking of a hangar on a ship where you'd have a deck plus three vertical walls. Did you see significant frame rate hits with small numbers of walls..? thanks.