PDA

View Full Version : New NASCAR rules

PRB
January 30th, 2014, 14:51
So I watched the Racing Hub show today, where they talked about the 2014 rules. I was not a fan of the chase when it came out. I found it contrived and "manufactured drama" as opposed to simple performance on the track over a season. But the chase is here to stay, and this new set of rules is interesting. While not too "invested" in this, generally, I like it so far. We wanted winning to count more, and well, now it does.

Sort of...

The race hub guys said that if the 2014 rules were applied to the 2013 results, Dale Jr. would have been the champion, hehe. That ought to be worth a conspiracy theory or two... And it's already, apparently, being referred to by some as the "Jimmie Johnson Rule", which was inevitable, I guess. Me, I don't think this will slow JJ down a bit...

Panther_99FS
January 30th, 2014, 15:53
The race hub guys said that if the 2014 rules were applied to the 2013 results, Dale Jr. would have been the champion, hehe

:monkies::monkies::monkies:

Daveroo
January 30th, 2014, 18:14
bah.....they all bitched when Kenseth won the championship without a win...and now theyre tweaking the rules to show dale would have won if the rules were a certin way?....i guess they have to find some way to get him a championship so they can say again how great he is..and that JJ was just bidding time for jr.

EasyEd
January 30th, 2014, 20:46
Hey All,

Well first Kenseth won that title because mark Martin deliberately blew an engine coming off pit road before even getting on the track. A company man - anything for the cat in the hat who lands his fighters upside down in lakes but fortunately was "saved". JJ was second in the points that year.

I don't think these rules hurt Chad and JJ at all. May help em - they are that consistent - are the others? JJ and Chad are eventually gonna win 9 for sure - so that Chad beats Dale Inman - and I think eventually 10 titles.

-Ed-

Terry
January 31st, 2014, 01:52
It does not necessarily reward the best team. You could win all the pre-chase races and lose the whole thing with a flat tire in the first segment of the playoffs. The only way to insure you have given the championship to the best team is by the old pre-chase rules where your average over 36 races proves your the best. The new rules could have been written by Karl Marx.

stansdds
January 31st, 2014, 02:28
Nicely said, Terry. Historically, a NASCAR championship was determined by consistency, not just one or two wins. With such a long racing season, I think NASCAR had to do something to create drama and keep the fans watching to the end of the season, thus we have The Chase. With The Chase, NASCAR has something they can toy with to create more drama and maybe craft the outcome of the championship. I'm sure NASCAR is disappointed with Junior's performance in the Sprint Cup Series. Is this designed to give him a championship? Maybe, or maybe not, but it does make for good conspiracy theory fodder.

Daveroo
January 31st, 2014, 08:13
can you imagine what would happen in this day and age,if a single driver could lap the pack 4 or 5 times for a win?.....it would be a circus

Terry
January 31st, 2014, 09:25
Can't happen, the rules are too tight. The days of big discoveries in performance are gone.

Panther_99FS
January 31st, 2014, 15:12
How many years until the next rule change? :monkies:

Daveroo
January 31st, 2014, 18:16
How many years until the next rule change? :monkies:

was there a typo there?...shouldnt you have used "Days" rather than "Years"?

:adoration:

Terry
February 1st, 2014, 02:23
Brian France does not seem to be a chip off the old block any more than Dale Jr. :mixed-smiley-010:

PRB
February 1st, 2014, 05:47
Just saw this on ESPN: New rules for the World Series. After each inning, the scores between the two teams are zeroed out and they start over. Make it more exciting. :adoration:

Terry
February 1st, 2014, 08:12
:applause::applause::applause:

Daveroo
February 1st, 2014, 08:29
:applause: :applause: :applause: :a1310: