PDA

View Full Version : Alphasim F-107A in NASA markings.

Cazzie
January 19th, 2009, 08:40
Two North American F-107A aircraft were flown at the NACA/NASA High-Speed Flight Station starting in November 1957 and continuing until September 1959. The F-107A possessed some interesting features that NACA wished to examine in detail. NACA acquired the first and third F-107As built.

Originally called the F-100B, the tactical fighter bomber was so extensively redesigned that the designation was changed before the first F-107A (Serial #55-5118) flew in 1956. It featured a large inlet located above the fuselage for a Pratt & Whitney YJ75-P-11 engine with afterburner, a very sophisticated stability augmentation system, and a movable vertical fin. In July 1959 the F-107A (Serial #55-5118) airplane designated NACA #207 was donated to the NACA High-Speed Flight Station. The first aircraft proved mechanically unreliable and only made 4 flights before NASA grounded it.

The third aircraft built, F-107A (Serial #55-5120) made its first NACA/NASA flight on July 25, 1958. It would complete 39 more flights during 1958 and 1959 before being damaged in a takeoff accident on September 1, 1959, fortunately without injury to the pilot.

During this period an electronically-controlled side-stick program was NASA's major accomplishment with the craft, after the proposed inlet and fin studies went by the wayside. The complex inlet, with its movable inlet ramps and variable inlet control, caused many problems and all were finally positioned in a fixed mode. Engineers at NASA modified the F-107A NASA #120, with a so-called Side-stick Flight Control System. (Side-stick was the center stick, modified and moved to the side of the cockpit area and could be used with wrist motion only) This system had been planned for the upcoming X-15 program. North American refined the design and the designated X-15 test pilots gained experience before having to use it in the actual X-15 airplane. It eventually led to all wire-guided side-controlled joysticks as is now employed in the F-16. For that alone, the F-107A owns its place in aviation history.

This repaint of the freeware Alphasim FS9 North American F-107A, Serial #55-5120, is a complete repaint of the four major textures. Alphasim's default texture left a lot to be desired as far as the sharpness of the red paint demarcation, it was too jagged, even in all Anti-aliasing. Seeing the textures, one knew why. They were not crisp at all. So I decided to start from scratch, making layers for the metal, red, layer sets for the lines and rivets, and decals. I maintained Alphasim's Alpha gray, but made new Alpha channels for all whiting out the the new paint scheme. The four main textures are in DXT3 to maintain a good Alpha Channel. The texture misc2 with the exhaust nozzle is in its default Extended 16-bit 565 format.

I modified the texture of the exhaust nozzle, because I felt it looked far to bright a metal color in default in screens than seen in reference. I did nothing more than make a Photoshop copy, so it could be layered, highlight the exhaust nozzle area, clicked new layer and applied a layer first of 100% very dark gray, then reduced the opacity until the desired darker shade of metallic.

Some things are in the .mdl file and I could not change. The NASA F-107A had no cannon. I painted the ports, but could not cover the gun ports themselves. Alas, some things do not go as per conviction to accuracy.

This is not a hard airplane to take off and fly, but landing is entirely another matter. It will take a whole lot of runway. Stall speed is 200 mph, so you have to need to have somewhere like Edwards AFB to fly it. As with all low-aspect wings, it will roll on a dime, but it is twitchy, it takes a steady hand. View is fantastic and a good VC is in the Alphasim package.

Go to http://www.alphasim.co.uk/fwd.html, click Freeware and scroll under USAF/USN to F-107 and click for the download.

Caz, FS9 still rules!

Quicksand
January 19th, 2009, 08:46
Beautiful, Caz. I saw the real one at Wright Pat a few years ago, and it looks like it's going mach 2 in the hangar. I'll be looking for this one, my friend. Thank you.:applause:

Cees Donker
January 19th, 2009, 09:11
Great looking repaint Cazzie!

:ernae::ernae:

cees

Alain_F355
January 19th, 2009, 09:14
I will pick it up when it is available. The default paintjob was not that good. What sounds are you using for this plane? I tried the U-2 soundset by Aaron Swindle, which is the same engine but without afterburner so that did not fit. I now use Christoffer Petersen's F-16 sounds for lack of a better match.

Cazzie
January 19th, 2009, 11:17
I will pick it up when it is available. The default paintjob was not that good. What sounds are you using for this plane? I tried the U-2 soundset by Aaron Swindle, which is the same engine but without afterburner so that did not fit. I now use Christoffer Petersen's F-16 sounds for lack of a better match.

Right now the default sounds, which is alaised to the Lear. May try your switch, which I use with Kirk Olssen's F-16 for FS9.

I see it is still not up, I uploaded it about p:30 this AM. Have the Alphasim F-107A ready, it shouldn't be too long. Yesterday was a heavy Pro Football day, so Ickie may still be deep in the mattress! :friday:

Caz

Blackbird686
January 19th, 2009, 12:00
Hey Caz --

Is that the stock Alphasim 2D panel that comes with the plane or did you work some magic on that as well....?

You repaint is spectacular:applause::applause::applause:

BB686:USA-flag:

Cazzie
January 19th, 2009, 12:25
Hey Caz --

Is that the stock Alphasim 2D panel that comes with the plane or did you work some magic on that as well....?

You repaint is spectacular:applause::applause::applause:

BB686:USA-flag:

That is the Alphasim VC mate, not sharp like today's FSX wonders, but more than adequate. :applause: If one has a high-end machine like I do, I simply take a 512 size VC texture and make it 1024. They are much sharper then.

Caz

NAMBUS
January 20th, 2009, 00:10
Thanks very much Cazzie.
Great job.:applause::applause::applause:
Just going to reinstall the F-107A now.
Re sounds, I was using a set for an F-100 before which has the J-57 that the J-75 was developed from I believe, but if you have the Alpha F-105 or F-106 both of these have the same engine (J-75) so should give good results.

Flyboy208
January 20th, 2009, 10:06
Really nice work Caz, she fits in well in my "NASA Nest" part of my FS9 lineup.

Cheers! Mike :ernae:

Cazzie
January 20th, 2009, 11:51
Really nice work Caz, she fits in well in my "NASA Nest" part of my FS9 lineup.

Cheers! Mike :ernae:

Is that NASA Sabre paint for the Section8 Sabre or Kirk's or Jans' Mike? If so, where could I lay my eyes on it? :ernae:

Caz

Flyboy208
January 20th, 2009, 16:28
Caz, the NASA scheme is for the SectionF8 Sabre, get the repaint here:

http://www.gjsmith.net/Textures/f86-sf8.htm

... Just scroll down a little.

Mike :wiggle:

Flyboy208
January 20th, 2009, 19:23
Gotta say Cazzie, had a fun flight tonight in the F-107A thanks to you!

Here's some piccies ...

Mike :ernae:

Flyboy208
January 20th, 2009, 19:25
The rest ...