PDA

View Full Version : Questions about TileProxy

Navy Chief
January 21st, 2014, 07:28
Many years ago, when I first learned about TileProxy, I installed it. My system, at the time, was older and less capable of handling it.

My system is newer, and more capable, but am wondering:

Is it worth installing?

Will it conflict with any sceneries, both Payware and freeware?

Will it work with P3DV2?

Appreciate your input, as always! Pete

falcon409
January 21st, 2014, 08:25
Personal opinion here, so take what I say with that in mind. I don't care for it as a permanent addon. I thought it was cool for about a day or two, but I like landing on an airfield that actually has buildings, and trees and stuff, lol. TileProxy is great from 2000ft, but land, or get close to the ground and it becomes a wasteland. It's a novelty as far as I'm concerned and fine as long as you just want to fly over areas that you're familiar with.

I didn't really answer your other questions, lol. I would imagine that anywhere you have tile proxy installed it will override the existing scenery. Since tile proxy doesn't incorporate autogen (at least it didn't when I tried it), you basically have a very nice ground texture, but no autogen to speak of. I'm guessing that it would have to be an "either/or" proposition.

Navy Chief
January 21st, 2014, 09:14
Personal opinion here, so take what I say with that in mind. I don't care for it as a permanent addon. I thought it was cool for about a day or two, but I like landing on an airfield that actually has buildings, and trees and stuff, lol. TileProxy is great from 2000ft, but land, or get close to the ground and it becomes a wasteland. It's a novelty as far as I'm concerned and fine as long as you just want to fly over areas that you're familiar with.

I didn't really answer your other questions, lol. I would imagine that anywhere you have tile proxy installed it will override the existing scenery. Since tile proxy doesn't incorporate autogen (at least it didn't when I tried it), you basically have a very nice ground texture, but no autogen to speak of. I'm guessing that it would have to be an "either/or" proposition.

Thanks Ed, appreciate it!:icon29: Pete

JimmyRFR
January 21st, 2014, 10:20
Only addressing your first question, since I only ever used TileProxy in areas that I didn't have any other scenery, and I've never tried it with P3Dv2 (although I have a feeling it wouldn't work without some major messing about).

I thought TP was rather neat; however what I didn't like is that you really have to do an over flight of an area low and slow in order to cache all of the tiles before you try going slow and fast. With a Piper Cub, it's pretty cool; with anything military jet related, not so much. I was hoping to use it around the Nevada test range, but I'd have to fly around pretty often putting up with some low resolution tiles before everything would be cached.

Of course, your mileage may vary depending on your internet connection. Someone with a really killer connection might never have any issues at all.

All the other quirks that accompany photo-scenery of course apply: no night textures, no autogen, etc.