PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Card Question

mal998
January 3rd, 2014, 08:12
Hi All and Happy New Year!

Does anyone have experience with the EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EVGA ACX Cooler? I am contemplating purchasing this card but have not yet made a final decision.

Lots of impressive specs (I think). And the price is fairly reasonable.

Core
•2304 CUDA Cores
•Base Clock: 993 MHz
•Boost Clock: 1046 MHz
•Bus: PCI-E 3.0
•2-way, 3-way SLI Ready
•Texture Fill Rate: 190.6 GT/s

Memory
•Memory Detail: 3072 MB GDDR5
•Memory Bit Width: 384 Bit
•Memory Clock: 6008 MHz
•Memory Speed: 0.33 ns
•Memory Bandwidth: 288.38 GB/s

Key Features
•NVIDIA TXAA Technology
•NVIDIA GPU Boost 2.0
•NVIDIA PhysX Technology
•NVIDIA FXAA Technology
•NVIDIA Adaptive Vertical Sync
•NVIDIA Surround
•Support for four concurrent displays; two dual-link DVI connectors, HDMI and Displayport 1.2
•Microsoft DirectX 11.1 API (feature level 11_0) with Direct Compute 5.0 support

•NVIDIA 3D Vision Ready
•NVIDIA SLI Ready
•NVIDIA CUDA Technology
•PCI Express 3.0 Support
•OpenGL 4.3 Support
•OpenCL Support
•EVGA ACX Cooler
•14+3 Power Phases
•++ Power Target
•Dual BIOS
•Dual 8pin Power Input

stovall
January 3rd, 2014, 08:38
mal998, just purchased one of these 2 weeks ago. So far I am very satisfied. Runs FSX better than I have ever experienced. Prepar3D v2 runs smooth as silk. Still evaluating but very happy so far.

One thing new for me is my monitor is a HD Monitor with a HD plugin. The NVidia GTX 780 has a HDMI plug in as well as the DVI-D Connector and the DVI-I Connector. It also has a display port as well.

So far so good. The support from EVGA is outstanding is another reason I purchased from them.

gman5250
January 3rd, 2014, 09:01
I'm running this card (with corsair cooler) for about three months. Excellent...two thumbs up.

For FSX I installed the Steves DX10 fixer. This places more workload onto the GPU. FSX went smooth as silk and FPS went up by about 60%. Running heavy load photoreal graphics with max sliders in FSX I'm seeing consistent 60 FPS with the card. Higher in P3D2.

Running ORBX scenery with FTX Global, FTX Vector and Pilots Mesh in FSX/P3D2 with moderate traffic settings, 2048 textures on most payware aircraft. Still solid FPS in the fifties. Turning down traffic sliders brings FPS back up to higher levels.

CS or PMDG 777 requires some tweaking of settings, but still good performance overall.
Check the stats in my signature for any other info.

The Titan offers a bit more HP, but I can't justify the cost to performance benefit. IMHO
At $$$ some point I'll add a second 780. Nirvana.....

FYI: Watch the driver updates. The latest update crippled my video editing software hard, so I backed out to the previous version.
GeForce R331 Game Ready Driver rev 331.58 is latest driver that's friendly to Power Director video software.

Hopes this helps with your decision.

mal998
January 3rd, 2014, 09:02
Thanks for the input Tom.

I'm upgrading from a GTX295 OC, which has been causing blue screens without shutting down the computer. This should be quite a nice step up.

mal998
January 3rd, 2014, 09:22
Thanks gman. I agree, you do have to be careful about installing the correct drivers. Currently I am running 331s and they seem to be OK, although with an older card I am getting some aliasing. Having said that, I will most likely be ordering that new card pretty soon so it will not be a problem. Now I'm starting to get excited. Over at Virtavia we have quite a few new projects lined up (teaser :biggrin-new:)so having a reliable card will be extremely important.

gman5250
January 3rd, 2014, 09:33
Whip me...beat me...make me write bad checks....lol.

I picked up some (more) of your stuff over the sale period. More....

The new card will be perfect for promo vid.

mal998
January 4th, 2014, 01:58
OK...I have ordered the card and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival. Hopefully I will soon be seeing the same fabulous graphics that some SOH members post in their screenshots.

expat
January 4th, 2014, 06:47
Hey Mal, great to hear from you - long time. My old system (I remember telling you about it when it was my new system a number of years ago now!) died this Fall and I put together a Haswell i7 4770.k @ 3.5 ghz overclocked to 4.4 ghz with a GTX 780 (card also is professionally overclocked) and it runs quiet, cool and smooth as silk with Orbx PNW, lots of AI etc etc. Go for it.

expat

mal998
January 4th, 2014, 07:15
Hiya Lee!

Happy New Year to You and Your's!

Glad to hear you upgraded your system. Sounds like a winner for sure. It makes a big difference, doesn't it.

Paul J
January 4th, 2014, 07:38
For FSX I installed the Steves DX10 fixer. This places more workload onto the GPU. FSX went smooth as silk and FPS went up by about 60%. Running heavy load photoreal graphics with max sliders in FSX I'm seeing consistent 60 FPS with the card. Higher in P3D2.

Running ORBX scenery with FTX Global, FTX Vector and Pilots Mesh in FSX/P3D2 with moderate traffic settings, 2048 textures on most payware aircraft. Still solid FPS in the fifties. Turning down traffic sliders brings FPS back up to higher levels.

Hi Gman! Glad to see you're a DX10-er! Tell me, though - what monitor (s) do you have? I see you're sig only mentions the rest of the pc, and particularly a proc running at 3.7 gig - yet you're talking about frames in the 50's and 60's... This is absolutely astounding, and I can only see this happening if you're using a single (and small-ish) monitor. Is this the case?

All the Best,

pj

mal998
January 11th, 2014, 04:30
OK, I received my new card yesterday. It's a big sucker, isn't it! Just enough room to get 'er in there. Cleaned up the inside of my rig, installed whatever software was required...so far so good. I started up the sim and got the usual aliasing, so now it's a question of dialing in the right settings in order to get the cleanest renderings.

Here's where I need some input from 780 users. What settings are you guys using? Aliasing is always a problem until you find the right settings so any recommendations will be appreciated.

expat
January 11th, 2014, 08:47
Mal,
I just used Nvidia inspector (googled other users recommended settings) and that got rid of the jaggies. Also using the drivers that shipped with the card (saw other users rolling back newer ones so leave well enough alone). That's it nothing special.

Ferry_vO
January 11th, 2014, 09:03
Yesterday I replaced the 560Ti in my computer with a GTX770 (And got a nice 27 inch LG LED screen too!) and here are the settings I use for both cards in nVidia Inspector. In FsX, set the framerate to 'unlimited'.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Flightsim/settings_zps7d381265.jpg~original (http://s13.photobucket.com/user/Ferror/media/Flightsim/settings_zps7d381265.jpg.html)

mal998
January 11th, 2014, 17:49
Ferry_v0 that seems to have worked really well. Thanks.

mal998
January 12th, 2014, 05:30
here's one more question; which one takes priority over video settings? Nvidia Inspector or Nvidia Control Panel as both allow for video settings.