PDA

View Full Version : Captain Sim download trouble

mwstevenson
January 18th, 2009, 13:40
Help! I recently downloaded the Captain Sim F-104 package, and was able to download the file w/no problem. However, the package refuses to accept the access code I've gotten when I downloaded the file. Figuring I made a mistake with that, I went to the electronic credit card statement figuring the download file would be in there. There was no letter-number combination contained on the statement, either. We don't get a written credit card statement, it's all electronic. Also, I've seen no other notations come over the email from Captain Sim giving me a download code. I've tried writing to Captain Sim's site but keep getting sent back to customer service. When I fill out the report form, I keep getting circular emails telling me to go back to the same site. How do you definitively get hold of these people to tell them what the problem is so I can open up the downloaded file? Has anyone out there had a similar experience?
Thanks
Mike S.

fsafranek
January 18th, 2009, 16:22
There is also "The UNOFFICIAL Captain Sim Support Forum" over in the forum area at avsim.com. Maybe someone who works for CS will spot the question, though I'm sure they lurk here as well. I never had an install issure with them. But a paid full price for their F-104 a couple years ago only for it to go on sale the next day and then be told "nothing we can do" when I asked to credit the difference towards an additional purchase. So I'm not a fan at all. Nice aircraft though once you tell it to shut up.
:ernae:

PeteHam
January 18th, 2009, 20:14
Hi Mike,

I had a massive amount of trouble trying to get my recently purchased Capt Sim B707 installed ......

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=7552

In the end I had to generate a key through the help page for the B707.

I'm not sure if that helps but look under the support link after selecting the product you purchased.

Pete.

Shessi
January 19th, 2009, 04:25
Hi Guys,
I bought the Yak3 and the Mig21 in their recent sale and am STILL having problems activating the Yak..grrrr!!!:banghead:

Talk about making something complcated. I mean look at Alphasim who email a link with the passwords to download, how hard is that???!!! ::faint:

Never again from Cap'n Sim.....

Shessi

mwstevenson
January 19th, 2009, 12:10
Thanks Pete - I went to the AVSIM unofficial Capt Sim website and posted the problem - I'm going there as well to see what the other respondents have to say, but your suggestion is something I'm going to try as well -
Misery loves company, I guess, but I agree with the other poster - never again!!
Mike

Aircow
January 20th, 2009, 01:03
I also own the CS Yak and the CS F-104. I used them fine for a couple of years and then I decided to nuke my hard drive and start over from scratch as my OS was damaged. All of my aftermarket aircraft reinstalled without hitch with the exception of Flight 1's 152 and the aforemention Captain Sim products.

Flight 1's customer was great and had me back flying quickly.

I have spent days going in circles with Captain Sim, looking up KBs and getting nowhere. Thier products are first rate, but thier customer service stinks bigtime. I'll never buy from them again unless they change thier ways.

Captain Sim needs to be held accountable. We paid for these products and we are being treated as thieves. Time to get the word out.

Richard Westcott
January 20th, 2009, 01:42
I have also had problems accessing the site for support and repaints, I have purchased the Yak and 707 over the web and given up on these. I now only have the F104 and C130 which I bought on disc.

GZR_Sactargets
January 21st, 2009, 19:03
Help! I recently downloaded the Captain Sim F-104 package, and was able to download the file w/no problem. However, the package refuses to accept the access code I've gotten when I downloaded the file. Figuring I made a mistake with that, I went to the electronic credit card statement figuring the download file would be in there. There was no letter-number combination contained on the statement, either. We don't get a written credit card statement, it's all electronic. Also, I've seen no other notations come over the email from Captain Sim giving me a download code. I've tried writing to Captain Sim's site but keep getting sent back to customer service. When I fill out the report form, I keep getting circular emails telling me to go back to the same site. How do you definitively get hold of these people to tell them what the problem is so I can open up the downloaded file? Has anyone out there had a similar experience?
Thanks
Mike S.

During the recent sale. I bought The 707, Mig 21 and F-104 for FS9. I only got the 707 to work and that using a manual install. The Mig 21 downloads to something looking like a WinRAR folder and when I try to install it the installer shows a box with a bunch of ???? in it. The 104 starts but then gives a cryptic message and closes. I have also given up on getting them installed.

I also bought the Shuttle and FA-18 for FSX. They worked fine.

TigerPackLeader
January 23rd, 2009, 03:29
I too purchased a CS product during the recent sale, the Legendary F-104 in my case. The cryptic message problem on attempting installation affected me as well. Maybe I was just lucky, but CS support did assist promptly. What was required was an off-line activation code. Next problem was when I tried to start FS9 right after installing the add-on. The version of FSUIPC that comes with the download isn't compatible with the latest build of FS9. That got fixed by downloading the latest version of FSUIPC and simply replacing the older file where it lives in FS9. after that all worked as advertised.

I can sympathize that it doesn't take much lax customer support to queer one off of a payware provider, and being one of the few feeling victimized isn't much comfort. This was my first payware purchase in many years of simming after a really bad experience with FSD International. In the CS situation, between their support people and the KB on their site (which can be a pain to get to IMO since their site isn't all that intuitive but once found has so far been thorough enough for my needs).

Anyway, I needed a decent F-104 for a personal project involving Canadian military aviation and, after reading reviews on both the CS and C9 versions, the sale price swayed me. I'm glad I bought the CS version. Maybe I'll change my mind when I (inevitably) have to re-install it but so far so good. As soon as I can wrap my mind around uploading the repaints I've done so far for the thing I'll upload then here.

mwstevenson
February 13th, 2009, 07:11
Hello Tiger Pack Leader
I've run into an identical unpacking problem w/the CS F-104, all I get is the French word for "repeat" and it shuts down. Lots of tries at the CS website for help but I get a circular run from their emails. How do you contact them to get results? I've still got the download on my machine, just need to open it up.

Also - not sure how much progress you've made w/your RCAF/CAF repaints but keep it up, Dad was born in Ottawa and we still have family there and in Ontario as well. I download everything Canadian!!

Thanks for the help and hope your email provided.
Mike S.