PDA

View Full Version : Controller setup

WarHorse47
January 18th, 2009, 12:18
I thought I'd post this question before I get too far into this and screw things up on my setup.

For several years I've been flying with a CH Products Combatstick and pedals. These are the earlier products that use a port on my sound card. The pedals have a female connector for the joystick, and a male connector for the sound card.

I recently acquired a USB Combatstick as a replacement. The USB stick works just fine. My question is in regards to how it will work with the pedals if I leave the pedals connected to the sound card (until I can replace those with a USB unit).

Has anyone tried this - having the joystick on USB and another controller on the sound card?? Any advice or recommendations?

Thanks

--WH

rcbarend
January 18th, 2009, 12:41
As far as I can remember the female connector was there so you could use both the stick and pedals on one gameport, right ??

But as far as I know you can use the pedals independant from the stick on the gameport; just try if they are seen in the Windows GameController setup. If not, just leave your old stick connected as well (under the table :-) ), but disable the axis in the FS assignments menu.

And in case you didn't know: in FS, you can assign any axis of any connected (=recognised by Windows) controller to any FS Axis function in any combination. With almost no practical restriction.
The only thing you should be aware of: if you connect a new controller to you PC (or even connect it to a different USB port), FS might be tempted to use the default assignments for that controller again.
Which might give the undesired situation that more than one external axis is assigned to one FS Axis function. Which is bound to give unexpected interference, and should be avoided at all times (unless you have a specific application for that of course) ...

But in general: controllers connected via USB work fine with a controller connected to the game port (because they are independant of each other)

Cheers, Rob

WarHorse47
January 18th, 2009, 14:35
Thanks, Rob.

I haven't made the change yet, but it looks like it will work just fine. The only thing I see I will need to do is switch the device for the gameport from the stick/pedal controller to just a pedal controller. That way the pedal will use the gameport and the USB stick will operate on a USB connection.

--WH

rcbarend
January 18th, 2009, 15:29
Thanks, Rob.

I haven't made the change yet, but it looks like it will work just fine. The only thing I see I will need to do is switch the device for the gameport from the stick/pedal controller to just a pedal controller. That way the pedal will use the gameport and the USB stick will operate on a USB connection.

--WH
Exactly ... Shouldn't give any problems ..

:ernae: Rob

LonelyplanetXO
January 18th, 2009, 16:17
Keep us posted! I'd be interested to know how you go. I have much the same setup - CH Pro stick, throttle and pedals on the soundcard. I've considered upgrading but it's quite specific on CH's website that you can't mix analog and digital (USB) control components. On the other hand that might be a tactic to "encourage" us to upgrade everything rather than one bit at a time...

LPXO