PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question du jour: What is DX10 + why don't I use it?

expat
December 23rd, 2013, 01:31
Have a new super powered rig + card on Win7 64 bit. Don't know actually if I already am in DX9 or 10. Unlike my old rig I do now have a UI entry for "DX 10 Preview" but am wary of trying it having read that DX10 causes a number of anomalies visually. Also, why is it called "preview"? That's two dumb questions! :semi-twins:

nio
December 23rd, 2013, 02:03
If you can see the option for preview your system can run DX10 if you select it. Preview is MS shorthand for partly done.

The preview does create anomalies and these are well documented.

However, there is a good payware programme here which fixes many of the anomalies

https://www.flightsimstore.com/product_info.php?currency=GBP&products_id=2630&osCsid=83cc0rk6egf9hvg1gqso0lg0s0

Roger has posted here a number of times about the latter.

Also see this thread

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?84243-dx10-scenery-fixer-anyone

best

nio

Roger
December 23rd, 2013, 02:27
Thanks nio. Expat, as nio says there is a product called Dx10 scenery fixer (it fixes a lot more than scenery) by Steve Parsons after many months work which fixes most of the anomalies that have previously put people off using Dx10.
In Dx10 (and Dx11 as P3D) a lot of the load is put on the GPU as opposed to FsX in Dx9 which is very CPU intensive. The result for most Dx10 users is a more fluid (less stuttery) sim. I have been using Dx10 since I first came accross Steve's early Dx10 work about 18 months ago and haven't been tempted to return to Dx9.
here's a link to the Dx10 fixer forum : http://forum.avsim.net/forum/644-the-official-dx10-scenery-fixer-support-forum/

expat
December 23rd, 2013, 04:21
I am getting 50-60 fps most places with DX9. Is it really worth the bother then if my sim is already this smooth, i.e., is there any improvement in graphic display quality or is it just fps performance?

falcon409
December 23rd, 2013, 04:41
Expat, DX10 also provides some increase in the appearance of water and textures, also clouds. A side effect of using DX10 is that if you use many portover aircraft, you'll find that some of those will not display their textures. . .the aircraft will be all white.

Butcherbird17
December 23rd, 2013, 05:50
Expat, DX10 also provides some increase in the appearance of water and textures, also clouds. A side effect of using DX10 is that if you use many portover aircraft, you'll find that some of those will not display their textures. . .the aircraft will be all white.

This is true if you are using the vanilla DX10 preview. Add Steve's Scenery Fixer into the mix and those same port overs show in all their fs9 glory.

Joe

expat
December 23rd, 2013, 06:17
if you use many portover aircraft, you'll find that some of those will not display their textures. . .the aircraft will be all white.

Ed, you have put your finger on what it was I didn't recall: I have probably 900+ portover a/c and they are the vast majority of what I fly (not too fussed about only flying the "native" models. As long as it looks good and flies right . . ).

So, I guess the question is, if you apply Steve's Fixer, do folks think the result is worth the effort? In the meantime, I am going to check that little box and can experiment.

Thanks all!

ncooper
December 23rd, 2013, 06:37
Ed, you have put your finger on what it was I didn't recall: I have probably 900+ portover a/c and they are the vast majority of what I fly (not too fussed about only flying the "native" models. As long as it looks good and flies right . . ).
So, I guess the question is, if you apply Steve's Fixer, do folks think the result is worth the effort? In the meantime, I am going to check that little box and can experiment.
Thanks all!

If you really have never used Dx10 preview before, please note:

1). The spinning aircraft will be jagged regardless of your display settings.
2). Before you write it off because there is no anti aliasing or filtering when you select Dx10, a new [DISPLAY.Device.xxxxxxxx .0]
section is created in the fsx.cfg file, named [DISPLAY.Device.xxxxxxxx .0.0].
You will find that all your settings are returned to default on the Display settings page and will need to be reset for Dx10.
Any settings you apply will not affect your Dx9 settings which will still be there when you untick the box again.
3). All your non-native (Fs9) aircraft will be the same colour, white.
4). Where runways cross, they will flicker uncontrollably as will some autogen.
5). Aircraft lights will either not display at all or be visible from only certain angles.
6). Numerous objects in any addon scenery will either be invisible or not display properly.

There are other faults and to be honest, you will learn practically nothing by simply ticking the box.
You would get a far better idea if you go to the Avsim Dx10 discussion forum, look at the pinned posts,
download the "How to" document and follow all the advice in it.

I will strongly recommend the Dx10 Fixer but I have followed Steve Parsons' progress from the outset, benefited from his free modifications
and also taken advantage of the numerous other fixes included with the Fixer.

To answer your question, yes, for me well worth it.

However, if you mainly fly incompatible aircraft, have not seen any out of memory errors and are happy with your water textures and
(lack of) animation, it probably is not for you.

Regards,
Nick

Ickie
December 23rd, 2013, 09:16
I got a big laugh from this, lol
When M$ first told us about DX-10 they lead us to believe it was going to be better than sex.
When it arrived and we all bought a new OS to see this big new thing we all said,
"Where's the beef" :a1310:

Tako_Kichi
December 23rd, 2013, 09:25
I got a big laugh from this, lol
When M$ first told us about DX-10 they lead us to believe it was going to be better than sex.
When it arrived and we all bought a new OS to see this big new thing we all said,
"Where's the beef" :a1310:

Yup, DX10 was abandoned pretty quickly and Win 7 and 8 use DX11 which has backward compatibility with DX9 so that older programs that need DX9 can still run.

Lane Street
December 23rd, 2013, 12:35
FWIW, the performance increase I see in DX10 is the difference between me enjoying a smooth FSX experience and me enjoying FS9.

cheers,
Lane

Roger
December 23rd, 2013, 14:27
I don't evangelise about DX10 but after Steve's fixes it helped me get a little more out of my old rig and it has helped me use higher settings on my new rig. Any screenshots of mine in the last year will be taken in Dx10+Steve's fixes.

big-mike
December 24th, 2013, 08:25
I don't evangelise about DX10 but after Steve's fixes it helped me get a little more out of my old rig and it has helped me use higher settings on my new rig. Any screenshots of mine in the last year will be taken in Dx10+Steve's fixes.

Roger,is the DX10SF latest version usuable without tweaking and fiddling around and would you recommend it?
I am still not sure if i should buy it.
Thank you.
Mike:santahat:

Roger
December 24th, 2013, 08:43
Roger,is the DX10SF latest version usuable without tweaking and fiddling around and would you recommend it?
I am still not sure if i should buy it.
Thank you.

Hi Mike,
More or less but there are some adjustments that can be made. The important thing is how you set up Nvidia Inspector and there are a number of threads over at Avsim's Dx10 forum. http://forum.avsim.net/forum/569-dx-10-discussions-hints-and-help/

Best,

Roger.

big-mike
December 24th, 2013, 09:40
Thank you very much,Roger.

expat
December 26th, 2013, 03:18
Thanks all for the advice. Think I will well enough alone!
With Win7 I guess I already have DX11? But it looks like DX9 rather thanDX10?

Daube
December 26th, 2013, 03:23
Yes, Win7 has DirectX11, together with DirectX10, 9 and any earlier version :)
And if the "DirectX10 Preview" option is unchecked in your FSX, then your FSX uses only DirectX9.