PDA

View Full Version : ARRCAB and FLOLS trailer?

Navy Chief
December 17th, 2013, 07:56
Many years ago, ARRCAB was used to create arresting gear cable areas...by Richard Hogen.

But, with scenery addons like the FLOLS Trailer, by Sylvain Parouty, is that utility no longer necessary? The reason I ask, is in some

of Jim D's sceneries, he includes ARRCAB entries for use with the ARRCAB utility.

NC

fsafranek
December 17th, 2013, 11:54
Maybe Jim doesn't use the RFN Scenery (http://royalefrenchnavy.perso.sfr.fr/RFN-Creations.htm#Sce) for the arresting wire or FLCP but does use Hogen's ARRCAB. I haven't looked but possibly part of Jim's ARRCAB entries could be used in creating entries in the RFN_Carrier.xml file?

Navy Chief
December 17th, 2013, 13:19
Maybe Jim doesn't use the RFN Scenery (http://royalefrenchnavy.perso.sfr.fr/RFN-Creations.htm#Sce) for the arresting wire or FLCP but does use Hogen's ARRCAB. I haven't looked but possibly part of Jim's ARRCAB entries could be used in creating entries in the RFN_Carrier.xml file?

Well, I think the FLOLS scenery tool was released long after Jim D's sceneries were released. And ARRCAB, I believe is freeware now, isn't it? NC

strikehawk
December 17th, 2013, 18:14
Chief, to answer your questions

1 ARRCAB has been freeware since 16DEC08, and that version is 2.6

2 The FLOLS trailer was first posted to Flight Sim in 2009

As for weather ARRCAB is still needed, I tend to use it on airfields but rarely on the boat because of Acceleration. I think that we had to use it on the Sim Nation carrier and that was determined to be a waste of time.

sparouty
December 17th, 2013, 22:22
Hi,
Michel did a huge work to enrich many navy airfield around the world with field arresting gear and FLOLS trailers.
The December release (available on RFN website) has nothing to compare with the one did in 2009 : much more detailed, better visibility, wave off lights, LSO sound, etc...
ARRCAB is a 2D gauge FLOLS not a 3D scenery toolset.
Regards
Sylvain

jdhaenens
December 18th, 2013, 04:15
I used ARRCAB before FSX came out. Richard updated it for FSX and I never got rid of the data sets required for the addon's use. This was before Sylvain and friends were able to get FSX's native flight deck pieces to work on dry land. The RFN FLOLS trailer and arresting systems are the up-to-date way to go IMO.

Jim

Navy Chief
December 18th, 2013, 04:28
Hi,
Michel did a huge work to enrich many navy airfield around the world with field arresting gear and FLOLS trailers.
The December release (available on RFN website) has nothing to compare with the one did in 2009 : much more detailed, better visibility, wave off lights, LSO sound, etc...
ARRCAB is a 2D gauge FLOLS not a 3D scenery toolset.
Regards
Sylvain

Hi Sylvain,

It's been years since I messaged you. I enjoyed beta testing your FLOLS trailer scenery object when you were in the process of creating it. But I have not used it for such a long time, that I will have to "re-learn" how to do so!! Thank you for posting about the new version of the FLOLS! NC

Navy Chief
December 18th, 2013, 05:18
Chief, to answer your questions

1 ARRCAB has been freeware since 16DEC08, and that version is 2.6

2 The FLOLS trailer was first posted to Flight Sim in 2009

As for weather ARRCAB is still needed, I tend to use it on airfields but rarely on the boat because of Acceleration. I think that we had to use it on the Sim Nation carrier and that was determined to be a waste of time.

Thanks Charlie! I have been out of the loop with FSX (as far as actually using it) for years. Oh, I download/save files. Never stopped doing that. But it wasn't until this past weekend, when I reinstalled FSX, and began the task (actually it is FUN!) of reinstalling aircraft, scenery, utilities, etc....

And one thing I will set about reinstalling will be Instant Scenery. It is fun to modify scenery. And with cool things like the static aircraft available, I plan to populate flight lines. Whoo HOO!!!! NC

strikehawk
December 19th, 2013, 15:24
And one thing I will set about reinstalling will be Instant Scenery. It is fun to modify scenery. And with cool things like the static aircraft available, I plan to populate flight lines. Whoo HOO!!!! NC

And as a former W/C 310 Line LPO I loved a clear flight line with all the birds in the air not on the ground with the Chief in my hair:cower: