PDA

View Full Version : Fire for Effect!

Milton Shupe
January 18th, 2009, 06:50
Sorry to visit the basement here without proper authority ... but it IS difficult to fight the allure. :wave:

The 75MM M10 Cannon needs no introduction here but it does in other parts of the sim world. It is hard to imagine sitting in the cockpit with one of these at your feet with automatic loading and shots every 1.2 seconds. :woot:

My dilemma ... the Beech A28 Destroyer/xa38 Grizzly is coming along nicely and we would love to have realistic Cannon effects to set this baby off. Six machine guns from two turrets and nose lay silent as well. :kilroy:

This butt-kicking ground attacker needs some GRRRrrrrrrrr in its sounds otherwise the civvies are going to paint her up for commercial use and monetary gain. I would love to blow that train plum off the tracks!

Do realistic cannon and machine gun CFS2 effects exist that could be converted for FS9? I need a starting point or someone who would be willing to light-up this M-10 barrel with some "whoop-a$$" and .50 cal guns to shred whatever remains.

The XA-38 Grizzly and the XP47J will be available in FS2002 format for conversion to CFS2.

I have started websites for both ... a WIP ...

http://www.flightsimonline.com/xa38/

http://www.flightsimonline.com/xp47j/

Any help on these effects appreciated ....

Shessi
January 18th, 2009, 08:26
Hi Milton,
Welcome down below, the red carpet's rolled out for you....:d

The standard CFS2 gun sounds for ac only go up to a 40mm cannon. The blast sound is quite slow at about x1.5-2 a sec. This might match the 75mm quite well and sounds resonable. The only problem it is an original M$ sound. The standard .50 cal sound is also quite good.
There have been some exchange sounds based on the M$. Lawdog2360 did some 20mm cannon mod sounds, he might have others not posted?

The trouble is, what does an automatic 75mm cannon sound like????

There is the B25 Mitchell fitted with an auto 75mm and the Henschel He129 also fitted with a 75mm anti-tank cannon. So there may be posted models with that sound effect?
Another option is if you go on Youtube and look for video of the Tsetse Mosquito this was the old 6pdr (57mm) AT gun made into an automatic cannon and fitted as an anti-sub/ship weapon. Very impressive sounds.
As this sound is now 'freeware' as such, may be what you're looking for?

Others have done mod gun sounds, I'm sure a search here, Simviation etc etc may give you something? Also possibly ask on CFS3 forum.

Model looks very good indeed, and thanks for the Fs9 model we can convert, which I take it you're happy with?

Cheers Shessi

Milton Shupe
January 18th, 2009, 09:34
Thanks Shessi for the input and recommendations. :wave: Effects without the sounds is only half the battle so I look forward to finding good results.

The cannon/machine gun effects of this type are especially cumbersome in FS9 so hopefully CFS2 effects will provide a starting point. Does anyone know if the .fx files are of the same format as FS2002/2004? If so, where can I get my hands on these effects short of buying CFS2? Or, would anyone like to be part of the team in developing these effects? Just PM me. :help:

Any of our aircraft (FS2002/2004) are available for CFS2 conversions (without specific permissions). I understood that the FS2002 models were the better starting point due to better animation and naming compatibility for the conversion. Assuming that to be the case, I am prepared to provide FS2002 versions for CFS2 conversions. :typing:

bearcat241
January 18th, 2009, 10:01
Converting a CFS2 fx file for FS usage is really a snap Milton. But, the main problem you face is in differences in weapons fx delivery systems. CFS2 uses a stand-alone, aircraft-independent weapons system based on damage profiles (dp's) for triggering and terminal effects. The FS series relies on an aircraft model's external lighting system prescribed into the aircraft.cfgs and panel.cfgs to deliver effects with no terminal impact at all. There's no way that i know of to bridge this gap in delivery short of hacking code. CFS2 has two modules that seem to manage weapons fx: damage.dll and visualfx.dll....there might be others involved but neither of these two exist in FS series, so we're SOL for getting the Grizzle's heavy cannon and machine guns to do any damage in FS.

For "simulated" cannon and MG fire you could borrow the widely-used light-based Spitfire cannon from other FS models, but again, you'll have no terminal damage effects.

OBIO
January 18th, 2009, 10:23
Milton

In regard to converting the Grizzly to CFS2....based on my experience from converting your D-18 series and Howard 500 to CFS2, I started with the FS2004 versions and had absolutely no problems with the conversions. All animations remained in tact across the board. As long as there aren't a lot of custom XLM coded animations involved, converting from a FS2004 model will pose no significant problems.

OBIO

Milton Shupe
January 18th, 2009, 11:25
Converting a CFS2 fx file for FS usage is really a snap Milton. But, the main problem you face is in differences in weapons fx delivery systems. CFS2 uses a stand-alone, aircraft-independent weapons system based on damage profiles (dp's) for triggering and terminal effects. The FS series relies on an aircraft model's external lighting system prescribed into the aircraft.cfgs and panel.cfgs to deliver effects with no terminal impact at all. There's no way that i know of to bridge this gap in delivery short of hacking code. CFS2 has two modules that seem to manage weapons fx: damage.dll and visualfx.dll....there might be others involved but neither of these two exist in FS series, so we're SOL for getting the Grizzle's heavy cannon and machine guns to do any damage in FS.

For "simulated" cannon and MG fire you could borrow the widely-used light-based Spitfire cannon from other FS models, but again, you'll have no terminal damage effects.

Thank you Bearcat241 for that clarification. Sometimes I wonder if I should switch to CFS2 for the fun and challenge. :jump:

I'll see what I can do then from the FS side and maybe the effects will have to yield until someone can get this aircraft to the "fun side" of things.

Milton Shupe
January 18th, 2009, 11:27
Milton

In regard to converting the Grizzly to CFS2....based on my experience from converting your D-18 series and Howard 500 to CFS2, I started with the FS2004 versions and had absolutely no problems with the conversions. All animations remained in tact across the board. As long as there aren't a lot of custom XLM coded animations involved, converting from a FS2004 model will pose no significant problems.

OBIO

Thanks OBIO. My biggest concern would be the tailwheel (castoring but with lock) and the animated landing light activated by switch. If those convert okay, then we will be good to go. Let me know please.

Oh, and if necessary I would happy to provide a lower poly version. The VC is getting a bit heavy but so far, I am still less heavy than the D18S.

bearcat241
January 18th, 2009, 11:39
...Sometimes I wonder if I should switch to CFS2 for the fun and challenge...

Well, that goes without saying...LOL. Look at all the FS work you've done so far and ask yourself which sim is your previous work and skills set most compatible to - CFS2 or CFS3?

...I'll see what I can do then from the FS side and maybe the effects will have to yield until someone can get this aircraft to the "fun side" of things....

Getting the Griz into CFS2 should be the least of your worries, as long as you keep that alternate FS2002 model in mind :engel016:, with a slick yet poly-light VC. We'll take it from there, with your permits. :amen:

Milton Shupe
January 18th, 2009, 12:00
Well, that goes without saying...LOL. Look at all the FS work you've done so far and ask yourself which sim is your previous work and skills set most compatible to - CFS2 or CFS3?

Getting the Griz into CFS2 should be the least of your worries, as long as you keep that alternate FS2002 model in mind :engel016:, with a slick yet poly-light VC. We'll take it from there, with your permits. :amen:

Thanks for that, and permissions are never a problem as long as the result is freely available and original credits remain intact.

The VC construction is in the painful stage of creating all the objects from nothing but drawings. Takes hours of study to do a 15 minute object sometimes. YUCK! LOL

Anyhow, this is where I am right now. Creating a "lighter" version is not a problem.

Will be mapping this for textures today and tomorrow. Exterior model is completed except for adding back cockpit basics.

EDIT: Replaced pics to show most current.

Pen32Win
January 18th, 2009, 12:09
There is a 5"/127mm Sound that can also be used on Aircraft. Works very well on my B-25H.

Use "7" for the sound in the gunstation data.