PDA

View Full Version : F4F-4 Wildcat "Cash" Register

bub
December 9th, 2013, 10:25
Hi All,
A while back someone mentioned there weren't many Henderson Wildcats. Here's one. Flown by Ens. J. R. "Cash" Register, I just like the nickname, from VF-5. He had eight confirmed victories. Textures are for The B24 Guy's OH F4F-4 Wildcat. This is a first draft as there is a lot of "fine tuning" to do.
Thanks,
Bub

bobhegf
December 9th, 2013, 12:37
I have his diary some place on a cd I think or printed out not sure where. He was killed while on his next combat assignment. Another one was E.T. Smoky Stover that flew with VF5. If you have seen the fighting lady you will see him as air combat director. He was killed at Truck.

bub
December 12th, 2013, 04:51
Hi All,
Finished up "Cash" Register's Wildcat. If all goes well, I'll have it packaged and uploaded by the weekend.
Thanks,
Bub

Bob,
If you have the markings for Smokys Wildcat I'll "whip" one up for you.

bobhegf
December 12th, 2013, 08:49
I will see what I can find out, thanks.

Blood_Hawk23
December 12th, 2013, 09:51
looks like that left wing is giving you trouble again. It must be the model. She is looking great bub.

The names of these guys are almost comical. Makes you wonder how many others there were.

bub
December 12th, 2013, 12:55
BH,
The left wing is a problem on all the stock Wildcats. There are a couple of other spots also. Under the right wing and the lower fuselage. The only way around it is to not paint there. I don't know how to go into the mapping to fix it. After all, I'm not an "artist" just a painter.
Bub

Blood_Hawk23
December 12th, 2013, 13:48
She looks great bub.

I wasn't sure if it was a model or texture issue. I had some of the same issues when i tried painting the stock ki43IIb "OSCAR". It was ment as an AI so not the best one for painting.

bub
December 15th, 2013, 06:50
Hi All,
Just uploaded the textures for the OH B24 Guys F4F-4 Wildcat, Ens. J. R. "Cash" Register. Please make sure to read the ReadMe.
Thanks,
Bub

BobH,
Have you found anything on Smokey's markings?

bub
December 15th, 2013, 09:22
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/soh_ftp/uploads/imageuploads/746113871221307013.JPG
A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Skins - American

Description: Hi All,

This repaint reprsents the F4F-4 Wildcat flown by Ensign F. R. "Cash" Register; while with VF-5 on Guadalcanal. He is credited with eight air to air victories while in the Solomons. He was also one of about fourteen airmen to receive the Distinguished Flying Cross from Admiral Nimitz.

These textures are for the B24 Guys OH F4F-4 Wildcat which can be found here at Sim-Outhouse as well as other sources.

All legalities apply and please read the ReadMe.

Thanks and have fun,
Bub

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit RM_F4F-4 Wildcat_Register.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=17849&catid=57)
The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Rami
December 15th, 2013, 09:27
Bub,

Many thanks, I'm sure many of us will take this one to the bank! :triumphant:

Sarg Willy
December 15th, 2013, 18:51
Thank You Bub , for this one , as well as your other painted Wildcats

kelticheart
December 15th, 2013, 23:27
BH,
The left wing is a problem on all the stock Wildcats. There are a couple of other spots also. Under the right wing and the lower fuselage. The only way around it is to not paint there. I don't know how to go into the mapping to fix it. After all, I'm not an "artist" just a painter.
Bub

Hi Bub!

Great skin, thank you! :applause: :applause:

I discovered another texture mapping problem while demirroring Joe Foss' Wildcat skin, originally painted by Jose Manuel Lopez Fuertes. It's located in the elevators and it causes the lines of the metallic frame under the doped fabric cover to be displayed slanted instead of straight.

I tried changing their direction tens of times in order to compensate the mapping glitch and I was able to come up with a passable compromise. I then proceeded to retrofit with my correction all of the Wildcat repaints I have in my archives. It was a big job....:fatigue:

If the elevator texture mapping glitch on the stock F4F bothers you too, feel free to use it as a sort of template for your future repaints. You can get it here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=57&id=6814

Cheers!
KH :ernaehrung004:

bub
December 16th, 2013, 09:30
Kelti,

Thank you, sir. I'll take a look at it and see what I can figure out. I didn't notice that one as I was looking at the others and missed it. I've tried about everything to fix the leading edge of the wing, but to no avail. Its something to live with until, someday, one of the Guru's comes up with a fix. And again, thanks to all for your support. It's what keeps this going.

Bub