PDA

View Full Version : Smoothing out the jaggies

ibl19108
January 17th, 2009, 15:37
I just updated my NVIDA drivers, and when I went back into FS9 all my aircraft have a bad case of the jaggies including the scenery. All my settings are the same. As are the one in the Video conrol panel. I print screened my previous setting, so I could reset everything. Any ideas as to how to correct this issue. :help:

Thanks
Derek

OBIO
January 17th, 2009, 16:12
Roll your video drivers back to what they were before. Newer does not always mean better when it comes to drivers. As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't dix it."

OBIO

Seaking055
January 17th, 2009, 16:30
Have you tried Nhancer ?

Also you could try bringing back your mip mapping to around 4 or 5
and your hardware rendering to 6

I've had that card and the 7950GT and had no problems with FS9 with all settings at max.

Make sure you have Vsync always OFF, I found setting my FPS at around 35 was best, much above that and the human eye can't tell the difference.

I am running 180.48 Nvidia drivers right now but there are new 181.20's out now that a lot of people are saying are really good.

If you go to update your drivers make sure all your old ones are removed first, a good program to do this with is NFR, you can get both Nhancer and NFR from here

http://downloads.guru3d.com/

Hope that helps some.

harleyman
January 17th, 2009, 18:23
Put mipmap down to 5...That on full will cause the jaggies.....

falcon409
January 17th, 2009, 19:04
. . . . .a good program to do this with is NFR, you can get both Nhancer and NFR from here

http://downloads.guru3d.com/

Hope that helps some.
What is NFR? A search at the site gets nothing.

ibl19108
January 18th, 2009, 02:31
Many thanks guys. I have just gotten Nhancer. So I will install. I did a driver rollback, but no change. And it was the latest Nvidia driver (181.2) that was the cause of this little mishap. Will try all suggestions and get back to you. :friday:

Derek

stansdds
January 18th, 2009, 03:22
For whatever reason, the newer Nvidia drivers don't always seem to Anti-alias very well, at least for some software titles. Try turning on AA in FS2004.

ibl19108
January 18th, 2009, 04:41
Okay. Removed all Nvidia drivers, did reinstall. Installed nHancer. Carried out all suggestions and still have a case of the jaggies. Yes, I did reboot. This frustrating. Because everything was fine until I updated the darn video drivers.
Can anyone post their nHancer/video settings. It may help.

Thanks
Derek

ibl19108
January 18th, 2009, 04:54
Even IL-2 Complete has a bad case of the jaggies. I thing I'm going to shut down and pull the video card and re-seat it. Got an 8800 GTX standing by (was going into my new machine),but not sure if it will fit into this DELL XPS 700. Everything is backwards/reversed. You know what DELL is like. Microsoft with a different name.

Derek

Odie
January 18th, 2009, 05:12
Okay. Removed all Nvidia drivers, did reinstall. Installed nHancer. Carried out all suggestions and still have a case of the jaggies. Yes, I did reboot. This frustrating. Because everything was fine until I updated the darn video drivers.
Can anyone post their nHancer/video settings. It may help.

Thanks
Derek

Hey Derek, did you reset your original settings, AA, color, etc. in the control panel after your driver install? I did the same thing with new drivers and didn't reset the original settings...so nothing was turned on. :faint:And it looked horrible until I remembered to check ! Silly me !

Also, I had read from some folks on the Nvidia forum that the higher drivers caused issues with the older cards. I have a 6800 Ultra and the highest level of drivers that gave the
least of problems was 94.24. In fact now that I'm remembering, they were saying AA was broken in a couple of the newer versions of drivers.

You might want to hop over to nvidia.com and take a few reads in their hardware support forums. I think that may be your problem....broken drivers and nothing you've done.

kurt190
January 18th, 2009, 06:01
This is the fix that I went through.

I have a couple of GTX280 in SLI - previously I had 8800GTX and I could not get any antialiasing working.

It is a bit complex but it does work. I think the problem lies with the predetermined application profiles so what I have done is to remove fs9 from those and then use the Global Settings in the Nvidia Control Panel.

So lets start:

1. Go to C:\WINDOWS\system32 and copy nvapps.xml and nvapps.nvb (if it is present). Paste these into a safe folder - these are your backups if things go awry!
2. In C:\WINDOWS\system32 open nvapps.xml with notepad and do a find for "fs9". It should come up with some text like the following:

<PROFILE Label="MS Flight Simulator 2004">
<APPLICATION Label="FS9.exe"/>
<PROPERTY Label="multichip_rendering_mode" Value="0x0240000E" Default="0x0240000E" Itemtype="predefined"/>
<PROPERTY Label="prevent_cpl_aa" Value="1" Default="1" Itemtype="predefined"/>

3. Change FS9.exe to FS99.exe
4. Save it.
5. Do the same for nvapps.nvb

6. Now the nasty bit. In the Run box (Start, Run) type in regedit and hit enter. This will open the system registry. If you are not familiar with this then be very careful what you actually edit. This is the system's view of the software structure on your system. It could be a worthwhile experience to read up on this before doing anything further.

7. In the registry navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Video
In there you should see "folders" that are named with numbers like the following - {23A77BF7-ED96-40EC-AF06-9B1F4867732A}.
Open thoe folders and you should see additional folders called 0000, 0001 and video.
In either or the 0000 or 0001 will be a long list of values with names like - _+menu.exe:D3DOGL_67207556 or _freedom.exe:D3DOGL_67207556.
These are the application profiles from the control panel coded into your registry (thanks NVidia!). What you need to do is find those that relate to FS9 - examples are _FS9.exe:D3DOGL_67207556 & _FS9.exe:D3DOGL_70835937.

8. Once you have found them, delete them. You will need to go through the numbered folders (e.g. {23A77BF7-ED96-40EC-AF06-9B1F4867732A}.) looking at the 0000 and 0001 folders.

9. If you have numerous ControlSet folders you may well need to the above for them as well.
10. Reboot open Nvidia control panel and make your settings - you should now have AA for FS9.

This has worked for me but it is a drastic move. Do this at your own risk.

Before messing with the registry take a backup of it and read up on it.

kurt

falcon409
January 18th, 2009, 06:38
For anyone who is having trouble getting rid of the jaggies and the other suggestions you've tried have not worked, try the above suggestion by Kurt. I've been plagued by this lack of AA for a very long time and I followed his suggestions and I now have a super smooth display with no jaggies at all. . .well done Kurt!!!:ernae::ernae:

MM
January 18th, 2009, 07:33
Kurt's solution seems excellent.

Another way to proceed is to use nHancer to control your nVidia settings. (You need to read carefully in the manual about how to "override" the settings for MS F2004 which are otherwise locked as Kurt indicates.) The advantage here is that you don't have to do the registry edits...and that nHancer allows you to manipulate easily the nVidia settings.

nHancer is here:
http://www.nhancer.com/

In addition, you might consider Nick Needham's suggestions about how to set up nHancer. The suggestions are for FSX, but my sense is that the same setting will for well for FS9. You can see the suggestions here:
(http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=27540&PID=156769#156769)

Hope this helps,
Mike

kurt190
January 18th, 2009, 07:51
I had problems getting nHancer to work hence the registry work detailed above. One of the ways I did get it to work was to use it to "spoof" the system by deleting the fs9.exe in the Executables window.
Problem with this is that each time I loaded nHancer it was asking me if I wanted to import profiles. Also it is just another overhead on memory. After using my method I have deleted nHancer.

I really wish nVidia would get their act together and produce some drivers that work well for FS9 but Iguess we are old hat now and not worth the effort. Another thing I wish they'd do is produce some drivers without all profile crap. I hate having stuff written into my registry - it is just more to go wrong and I like to be able to muck about with the settings for my games. No two systems are really the same and on mine it does not like a lot of the settings they try to force on us.
kurt

Cazzie
January 18th, 2009, 07:54
Check Anti-Aliasing in your FS9 settings and Application in nHancer. This is getting redundant, I don't care what anyone else says, click AA in your FS9 too and the jaggies will go away. It is not a driver problem!

Caz

falcon409
January 18th, 2009, 08:08
Check Anti-Aliasing in your FS9 settings and Application in nHancer. This is getting redundant, I don't care what anyone else says, click AA in your FS9 too and the jaggies will go away. It is not a driver problem!
Caz
I feel your frustration there Caz, but I can tell ya that does not work for everyone. I tried nHancer and found it to be difficult to use if you are not familiar with the inner workings of the settings you're trying to change, kinda like a kid tearing into a computer to see what makes it tick and not knowing what he's doing. . .the results take longer to fix than if he'd just left it alone.

I also tried using the standard Nvidia control panel, setting the AA settings in there and setting them in FS9 also. . .jaggies remained. Kurt's process, while lengthy is the first suggestion I've found that actually fixed the problem.

kurt190
January 18th, 2009, 08:19
Caz,

Tried all that before going down the route I went down. Certainly in my case it is a combination of driver and hardware - and judging by the ammount of comment on other forums there are many who suffer in the same way. It took me ages to suss out where and what to do. I had 8800GTXs before the current cards and they had the same problem. One died on me and I thought I'd replace them and I'd see a major improvement in nVidia settings with the 280s. I didn't and desperate steps were taken.
In the next few months I'll probably be replacing the mobo, processor and memory - it'll be interesting to see what this does. As it stands I am not impressed with nVidias support or their drivers. If my current mobo had of supported ATI crossfire I'd have probably gone down that route but as it stands I have bought in to nVidia for the foreseeable future - for better or for worse.

kurt

ibl19108
January 18th, 2009, 08:24
Guys. A mighty big thank you. I re-installed nHancer and set it up as suggested by Nick Needham and it worked brillantly. I now have no jaggies. Thank you for all your help and suggestions. I think post like this should be placed in a special section called Tips & Tweaks, so they will not get lost in main stream forums.

:typing::wavey:
Derek

ibl19108
January 18th, 2009, 08:46
VERY SMOOTH. I just took out my Fw190 D-9 out for a spin. Real weather and all. Looks great.

Derek:ernae:

LouP
January 19th, 2009, 18:12
nHancer has worked wonders for me after I had the same issue a while ago. :amen: :woot:

LouP