PDA

View Full Version : Korean War Era Naval Ops

expat
November 21st, 2013, 06:23
Sorry if you thought you may have missed a great add on like Mark's Solomon Islands scenery or the Vietnam War Project! :sneakiness: I have just started doing some home grown things as Korea seems to be largely overlooked in FS but has a great place in aviation history and in particular navops. I discovered just recently the wonderful Valley Forge CV-45 converted to FSX by Lazarus (search SOH FSX forum). Have substituted this into a carrier track that came with the SDB Big E off the West coast of Korea. I can now find and land on a period (straight deck Essex) cv using the RFN tacan gauge in my e.g., Panther, Spad or Corsair.

As I have done with Vietnam/Yankee Station, it wouldn't have the right atmosphere without building a period carrier AI setup. You need a fixed carrier bgl (i.e. scenery) for this so I am using - to start with - an old Rick Hogen addon (FS9) "Carriers 2006" with AFCADs, parking etc and this is stationed off the East coast. For AI I am using thus far the A-H Panther (I fly the Vertigo), A2A F4U and both Piglet's and RAZBAM Spad's - I forgot that the latter is still pretty nice with a variety of models, load outs and paints. This was pre '55 so carrier a/c are all Glossy Sea Blue. There is a good/recent "Brubaker" repaint for the AH F9F I found over at simviation. I want to try converting the Valley Forge into a library object (with ModelconverterX I think) that I can replace the Hogen cvn with. Need to find the time for that though . Add some freeware mesh and the eastern part of Korea comes alive and is quite mountainous. Great to patrol in your Banshee, AD, Corsair, Sabre etc. May add some AI enemy Migs and USAF F-86 traffic at some point.

Please share any thoughts and suggestions.

expat

dhasdell
November 21st, 2013, 08:02
Your 'Kent, England' side really ought to look out HMS Ocean and a Sea Fury. Remember 'Hoagy' Carmichael knocked down a MiG in one. Korean period Seafire and Firefly are also available.

sketchy
November 22nd, 2013, 22:12
Your 'Kent, England' side really ought to look out HMS Ocean and a Sea Fury. Remember 'Hoagy' Carmichael knocked down a MiG in one. Korean period Seafire and Firefly are also available.

There is this lady available if interested... :)

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p201/sketchy74/FlyingStationsSeaFuryPromo05_lowRes.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p201/sketchy74/FlyingStationsSeaFuryPromo08_LowRes.jpg

JensOle
November 23rd, 2013, 00:07
HMAS Sydney and Sea Fury of the RAN, Korean war.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/Australia/Scrshot848.jpg~original

sketchy
November 23rd, 2013, 08:05
Nice shot Jens!

expat
November 23rd, 2013, 09:43
HMS Sydney and Sea Fury go great together. Off to get them now! Thanks for the post.

JensOle
November 23rd, 2013, 13:24
Both the HMAS Sydney and the Sea Fury repaints are not yet released yet, but you have of course the stock paints for the fury and Sydney