PDA

View Full Version : PMDG DC-6... It's alive !

Javis
November 20th, 2013, 19:45
No, not in a sense that you can go and grab it just right now, but check this out! :

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/426609-pmdg-is-looking-for-a-few-good-testers-with-a-unique-twist/

Anybody not familiar with this amazing project, check this out too ( click the pics! ) :

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/361760-secret-project-1-this-one-is-a-classic/

EXITED!!!! :applause::greenfire::eagerness::applause:

cheers,
jan

CG_1976
November 20th, 2013, 20:03
What they need are some Arctic Canadian Pilots. Calling Buffalo.

Ian Warren
November 20th, 2013, 20:34
Phooey ... took its time , be good to finally see this model rather the today's typical button pushin machines which .. well PMDG .. yep superb ! Its good to see this outfit really show its real metal ! :newzealand: Finially ! <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Tim-HH
November 21st, 2013, 01:35
Great news!! :jump:

For me the PMDG DC-6 is still the most anticipated release :)

Greetings
Tim

robcap
November 21st, 2013, 04:28
For me as well Tim, time to get a SSD, and do a complete re-install of Windows 7 and FSX!!
You think we could apply for beta, we know a bit about the DC2....

R.

robcap
November 21st, 2013, 04:32
Jan,

Hi matey, I'm calling you on a twice per week basis, but only get your voicemail.
I'm working in Amsterdam now, would like to come over for a beer, if that's OK.

Best, Rob

ZsoltB
November 21st, 2013, 04:38
:ernaehrung004:

Javis
November 21st, 2013, 08:04
Jan,

Hi matey, I'm calling you on a twice per week basis, but only get your voicemail.
I'm working in Amsterdam now, would like to come over for a beer, if that's OK.

Best, Rob

Hoi, Rob! Sorry bout the phone but the beer is cold! :ernaehrung004:

I've sent you a PM.

cheers,
jan

huub vink
November 21st, 2013, 10:09
A very beautiful model, but a bit too difficult for me to fly to justify the purchase....

robert41
November 21st, 2013, 18:25
Very interesting.

ColoKent
November 21st, 2013, 18:38
What sounds good--the beer invite or the DC-6B? Personally, both sound great to me!!!

Kent

Timbohobo
November 22nd, 2013, 16:20
I think I'm reading faaaaaaaar to deep into this, but does it look like we might one day see a DC2/3/4/7 also?,

"the first of our upcoming PMDG Classics series of products. The first product in this line will be the Douglas DC-6."

AussieMan
November 22nd, 2013, 16:46
A very beautiful model, but a bit too difficult for me to fly to justify the purchase....

Pretty much the same feeling with me Huub. I have the JF/AH DC-6 and feel that is enough of a handful for me. PMDG are way over priced for my liking.

Javis
November 23rd, 2013, 05:17
What sounds good--the beer invite or the DC-6B? Personally, both sound great to me!!!

Kent

If you're willing to travel the ocean for it, you're welcome to a pint or two, Kent. :)

cheers,
jan

Javis
November 23rd, 2013, 05:55
I think I'm reading faaaaaaaar to deep into this, but does it look like we might one day see a DC2/3/4/7 also?,

One could ponder about the fact that the current FSX DC-2 model is already too much nearing PMDG quality for PMDG to warrant a new project like that. I think the same goes for the freeware DC-3 model ( provided that an authentic vintage VC of the same quality as the external model will be added, which is likely to happen ). And wouldn't you think that the DC-4 and -7 are too much related to the DC-6 for PMDG to take any of these as a new classic project ? Although they stem from the same family, the're very different to eachother. I have a hunch that the next PMDG 'Classic' project might well be equipped with kerosene burners rather than recip engines for propulsion. I haste to say that i'd love to see PMDG stay with the latter for their 'Classic - In between' projects. It might well very much depend on the success of the forthcoming DC-6...

That's only in light of my 2cents, of course.

cheers,
jan

Javis
November 23rd, 2013, 06:23
PMDG are way over priced for my liking.

That's probabely because you don't have any of the PMDG airliners in your hangar, Pat ?...

PMDG is in a league of its own. Can't be compared with anything else regarding airliners ( Ok, A2A B377, surely ). Yes, pricing is in a league of its own too but that's only fair if you ask me. All their offerings are worth every penny.

The JF DC-6 is lovely, re JF classic airliners the VC is one of their best. I would've been satisfied with it for a long time to come. But when i read the annoucement of PMDG doing a DC-6 ( almost two years ago now.... ) it was very fortunate that i happend to be buckled up at that moment otherwise i would've fell right out of my pilot seat ! A dedicated vintage propliner aficionado's dream come true !

I'm willing to pay any price they'll ask. I know it's going to be worth every penny and more.

But, hey, that's only me. ;)

cheers,
jan

Tim-HH
November 23rd, 2013, 09:33
PMDG is in a league of its own. Can't be compared with anything else regarding airliners ( Ok, A2A B377, surely ). Yes, pricing is in a league of its own too but that's only fair if you ask me. All their offerings are worth every penny.

[...] But when i read the annoucement of PMDG doing a DC-6 ( almost two years ago now.... ) it was very fortunate that i happend to be buckled up at that moment otherwise i would've fell right out of my pilot seat ! A dedicated vintage propliner aficionado's dream come true !

I'm willing to pay any price they'll ask. I know it's going to be worth every penny and more.

But, hey, that's only me. :wink:

I'm with you too, Jan! And I couldn't agree more! :applause:

The PMDG 737 and 777 are both wonderful addons and worth every cent. Given the fact that the DC-6 in one of my all-time favorites it's hard to curb my excitement :D

Greetings
Tim

Timbohobo
November 23rd, 2013, 19:01
I welcome ALL vintage commercial aircraft, whatever type or form, I gotta have em all

In fact any multi-engine vintage.... be it military or civvy

AussieMan
November 23rd, 2013, 19:24
That's probabely because you don't have any of the PMDG airliners in your hangar, Pat ?...

cheers,
jan

Actually Jan I have the Jetstream 41. I purchased that when I was still working but now that my only income is from an aged pension I need to watch my pennies. While I live on my own I still have to justify spending $60 to $80 on a FS aircraft. Prior to retiring I had no problems buying FS stuff. I love what ORBX is producing but need to be fussy as to what I buy.

Finally anything I purchase the manufacturer must gaurantee it is supported in P3D.

Javis
November 24th, 2013, 05:29
Actually Jan I have the Jetstream 41. Ok! So you must know about the PMDG quality, right ?.. :smile:

The J41 also proves that not all PMDG products are priced in the $60-$90 region. Like the J41 the DC-6 is also outside of the common PMDG contemporary jet airliner offerings so the pricing might well indicate that too. It's all a matter of what tickles your fancy, isn't it. It seems that atleast half of the flightsimming world has been waiting for the PMDG 777 while the other half probabely couldn't care less (including me...)

I purchased that when I was still working but now that my only income is from an aged pension I need to watch my pennies. While I live on my own I still have to justify spending $60 to $80 on a FS aircraft. Prior to retiring I had no problems buying FS stuff. I love what ORBX is producing but need to be fussy as to what I buy. Fully understand of course !

Finally anything I purchase the manufacturer must gaurantee it is supported in P3D. I really hope PMDG will come to their senses and steer away from their current non supporting stance towards P3D. So for the moment you can keep your money in your pocket, Pat. Or... you must belong to the ever so fanatic propliner lover camp, like me... :smile:

Cheers,
Jan

Javis
November 24th, 2013, 06:13
Given the fact that the DC-6 in one of my all-time favorites it's hard to curb my excitement

Same here! :-)

My heart skipped a beat when i read an update announcement by PMDG boss Robert Randazzo on the Avsim frontpage the other day. All about the 777 forthcoming upgrades and 744 v2. Nothing, nada, not even one word about the DC-6.... I knew it! It has been scrapped ! This was too good to be true ! :toilet_claw: :pop4:

Pretty nasty trick by Mr.R..... When i checked the PMDG forum to investigate further it was only by coincidence that i clicked the post i linked to in this thread. I don't know if it was on purpose but Mr.R carefully omitted 'DC-6' in the topic title. It possibly was the 'unique twist' that triggered my curiosity. Can't tell you how pleased i was to read the content of his post. I hope Mr.R won't play a trick like this again because i'm not sure if i'll survive... :wink:

What's your speculation, Tim ? Will we find this wonder underneath the Xmas tree ? :rolleyes:

cheers,
Jan

ce_zeta
November 24th, 2013, 11:47
Great news!!!

gman5250
November 24th, 2013, 12:12
Well...I'm going to have to bite on this one.

Considering the complexity of running a four engine radial and the demands on the engineer, I'm going to have to train my wife. lol
Just getting this aircraft to altitude is a major undertaking. With real time systems integration it's going to be off the chart.

Seriously, if this aircraft is a fly by the book quad radial it's going to be super demanding for a single sim pilot. With the PMDG modeling ethic built in, this will certainly be a magnificent piece of equipment. I'm going to remain a two sim guy once the new LM sim is installed, but if I have to fly the DC-6 in FSX I'll just struggle through. Poor me.

Crank up the stereo baby....this one's going to sound good!!!

AussieMan
November 24th, 2013, 13:16
I really hope PMDG will come to their senses and steer away from their current non supporting stance towards P3D. So for the moment you can keep your money in your pocket, Pat. Or... you must belong to the ever so fanatic propliner lover camp, like me... :smile:

Cheers,
Jan

Jan, I am not a great fan of those screaming banshsees, tubeliners or flying cigars or whatever people want to call them. The only ones in my sim with the exception of the iFly 737NG are the default big jets. I like to keep cool wit those big fans either in front of me or on the wings.

I love flying GA or Warbirds.

Javis
November 24th, 2013, 22:41
Seriously, if this aircraft is a fly by the book quad radial it's going to be super demanding for a single sim pilot.
I have a hunch PMDG might provide us with a virtual crew to help us master this beast, like with A2A's accusim B-17 and B377. The're both a joy to fly but still keep you on your Qui-Vive. :smile:

Crank up the stereo baby....this one's going to sound good!!!

You bet!

http://youtu.be/las86zvsMY4

robcap
November 25th, 2013, 07:00
One could ponder about the fact that the current FSX DC-2 model is already too much nearing PMDG quality for PMDG to warrant a new project like that. I think the same goes for the freeware DC-3 model.
That's only in light of my 2cents, of course.Thanks Jan, we dit our best, you know all about it!
Cheers, Rob
(who will collect his beer next week ;-) )

Tim-HH
March 4th, 2015, 03:55
Finally another sign of life: PMDG Forum (http://forum.avsim.net/topic/463714-03mar15-pmdgs-first-product-for-xplane/) :jump:

The biggest news is probably the fact that the DC-6 will be released first for X-Plane. But the FSX version shall follow shortly. I'm just happy that the project is still going strong after all these years of silence. And it's sounds very promising...almost a little bit like Accusim :)

Greetings
Tim

roger-wilco-66
March 4th, 2015, 04:07
Good news. If it runs on P3D, I'll get it right away!

Cheers,
Mark

Daube
March 4th, 2015, 05:15
I'm really curious to see what level of "realism" this aircraft will get.

ce_zeta
March 4th, 2015, 06:12
Great news! At least we have some news...

Alan_A
March 4th, 2015, 06:30
Impressive, but what worries me is all that complexity without an A2A-Captain of the Ship-style crew assist. It's going to be a handful. I'm probably just reflecting my biases but I stayed away from the A2A 377 'til the crew came along, and I'm not sure how eager I am to cope with three flight-deck jobs on my own...

Javis
March 4th, 2015, 06:57
Holy Moly, Tim!! You nearly gave me a heart attack!! :dizzy:

Sjeeezzz, this news is really the only reason why i visit the Avsim/PMDG forum just about every day ( for about 3 years.... ) and here you come beating me to it ! I guess you must've done pretty much the same, haven't you ! :wink:

Despite the great news and particularly the amazing VC screenies i couldn't help letting out a sigh too..... Here PMDG have us FSX propliner afficionados waiting for 3 years for news about their exiting DC-6 project and now it is finally presented all of a sudden X-Plane is the word... :grey:

Can understand they want to develop for as many serious flightsim platforms as possible but why has my ever most anticipated flightsim model got to be the XP testbed ! It's not fair !!

Didn't know about the difference in fps clickpots mean between FSX and XP though.... Talking about that, 'a little bit like Accusim' might turn out to be an understatement, Tim.... ;-)

I tried X-Plane a few times, never could get into it, but i sure can't live with the fact that the PMDG DC-6 is outthere and i'm not flying it !
Anyway, thanks a lot for the HU, Tim ! Despite the, for me, totally unexpected X-Plane trick, sure made my day !! :ernaehrung004:

Tchüss!
Jan

Javis
March 4th, 2015, 07:21
Impressive, but what worries me is all that complexity without an A2A-Captain of the Ship-style crew assist. It's going to be a handful. I'm probably just reflecting my biases but I stayed away from the A2A 377 'til the crew came along, and I'm not sure how eager I am to cope with three flight-deck jobs on my own...

I have a hunge they won't let us master this beautiful beast all on our own, Alan. This of course is quite a different kettle of fish compared to the, as RR calls it himself, "Gear Up/LNAV/VNAV" simulations that PMDG has released thru the years. Surely they must have checked out the A2A COTS 377 and B-17 which, because of the crew simulation, are quite pleasant and more or less easy to fly. I, for one, would be very much surprised if we didn't find such an option, or atleast something similar, for us to choose with PMDG DC-6. During atleast 3 years of development a LOT can be achieved ! :)

Cheers,
Jan

Javis
March 4th, 2015, 07:24
I'm really curious to see what level of "realism" this aircraft will get.

Did you read Rob Randazzo's comments ? :teapot:

fliger747
March 4th, 2015, 07:42
In many ways a very different type of project from some of the late generation jets. My compatriot Capt Alexi Nocolov and I worked with PMDG on the 747-400 as we were both actively flying the plane at the time. In my view the most difficult part of the project was reverse engineering the computer driven auto flight system. At least the six etc does not have that issue! However there are hoops to clear with regards to the venerable CB16-17 R2800's and the various supercharger settings. Some thought that the flight engineer was the most important part of the crew!

Fairbanks and Anchorage still have some sixes flying daily! Great to hear them cranking up, clouds of blur smoke. A friend who is retired from other stuff is flying one these days.

The four, six and seven though they might look similar are very different planes should one model the engines closely, especially the turbo compound engines of the seven. The complexity of those engines is one reason the plane jane but reliable R2800 of the six are still flying today.

Regards: Tom

Daube
March 4th, 2015, 07:50
Did you read Rob Randazzo's comments ? :teapot:
Yes I have, but my question was more like: "how will it compare with an Accusim bird" ?
I understood they made a precise modelling of the engine behavior, but there isn't anything about "aging" engine, so I'm just curious. This could well be my very first PMDG purchase :)

Alan_A
March 4th, 2015, 08:12
I have a hunge they won't let us master this beautiful beast all on our own, Alan.

Hope that's the case. Managing a DC-6 isn't exactly fodder for FS2Crew (unless Bryan York decides to go in a completely different direction). But some degree of crew assist would be... well, definitely helpful, and maybe required.

Alan_A
March 4th, 2015, 08:14
Yes I have, but my question was more like: "how will it compare with an Accusim bird" ?
I understood they made a precise modelling of the engine behavior, but there isn't anything about "aging" engine, so I'm just curious.

IIRC, the NGX (and maybe others) include service-based maintenance, so I'd hope for something similar here. Maybe not as characterful as the Accusim variety but we can hope.

My first impulse was to wait for the P3D version, but I have a sneaking suspicion that this is going to get me to load up X-Plane again...

JimmyRFR
March 4th, 2015, 09:11
Yep, this would get me into installing x-plane as a secondary sim.

Although, I'd be considerably worried that I just wouldn't be committed enough to master a 'study sim' version of a DC-6, as much as I might want to.

Tim-HH
March 4th, 2015, 09:38
Hi Jan,

Sjeeezzz, this news is really the only reason why i visit the Avsim/PMDG forum just about every day ( for about 3 years.... ) and here you come beating me to it ! I guess you must've done pretty much the same, haven't you :D !

yes, of course :D Although today I was actually looking for some news about the upcoming NGX service pack. So it was a nice surprise.

Despite the great news and particularly the amazing VC screenies i couldn't help letting out a sigh too..... Here PMDG have us FSX propliner afficionados waiting for 3 years for news about their exiting DC-6 project and now it is finally presented all of a sudden X-Plane is the word...

That's true. On the other hand, I always feared that they might cancel the project somewhere down the road like they did it with the Dash-8. After all they also called it a 'filler project' - just like the Dash-8 project. And obviously there was not much time left between all the 7X7 projects. So seeing today that the DC-6 is somehow part of a bigger picture is quite a relief! I'm now sure that the project won't be canceled and that makes waiting much easier :)

The advantage of the DC-6 is that it has no FE station. So all the controls, buttons and switches are accessible from the pilot seat. Therefore one does not have to switch back and forth between the different stations. That will make it much easier to fly the plane :)

Greetings
Tim

AussieMan
March 4th, 2015, 13:09
With P3D fast becoming the dominant flight sim platform it completely mystifies me as to why developers like PMDG still refuse to support P3D. It is time they woke up and start smelling the roses and realised that P3D is here to stay.

While they maintain this head in the sand attitude PMDG products are off my list. Frankly I will stick with my excellent AH/JF DC-6 thank you.

Alan_A
March 4th, 2015, 13:35
In fairness to PMDG, they do support P3D. The 777 for P3D has been released, the 737 is due for release momentarily, and their announcement about the DC-6 says that it'll be available for P3D and for FSX - it's just that they're releasing the X-Plane version first, which I guess makes sense if they decided to treat it as their testbed project.

Not everyone is happy about their P3D pricing, which if I understand it correctly involves the full purchase of a new license, no discount for previous ownership. But that may have to do with the amount of work involved or with licensing requirements. I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other.

But the good (I guess) news is that there'll be a PMDG DC-6 for P3D -we'll just have to watch the X-Plane guys get to the flightline first....

manfredc3
March 4th, 2015, 14:50
With P3D fast becoming the dominant flight sim platform it completely mystifies me as to why developers like PMDG still refuse to support P3D. It is time they woke up and start smelling the roses and realised that P3D is here to stay.

While they maintain this head in the sand attitude PMDG products are off my list. Frankly I will stick with my excellent AH/JF DC-6 thank you.

Wow Pat,

I usually highly respect and value your responses, but you must have gotten out of bed on the wrong foot with this one.

PMDG is actually in the midst of making their products compattible with P3D, as can be read on their support forum.
You might want to update your information ;)

Respectfully,

Manfred

CanadaKen
March 4th, 2015, 15:49
Yes, the PMDG 777 is out for P3D now and the NGX soon.

I do love P3D and like the OP I love the smokin', drippin' fire breathing radials! :adoration:

Now....could they do a Boeing B314 in their spare time?! :)

CK

Scratch
March 4th, 2015, 18:56
This bird is gorgeous!! And all those switches to flip and buttons to mash, I'm in big time on this one.

pilottj
March 5th, 2015, 07:56
Very much looking forward to this release and I am excited that PMDG has more 'classic' projects in the works.

PMDG has indeed been supporting P3D, the 777 for P3D has been out for about a month now.

Cheers
TJ

Javis
March 5th, 2015, 09:51
Hi Jan,yes, of course :D Although today I was actually looking for some news about the upcoming NGX service pack. So it was a nice surprise.

I can imagine, Tim! Because it's really an X-Plane topic i might've even overlooked it ! :eek:

That's true. On the other hand, I always feared that they might cancel the project somewhere down the road like they did it with the Dash-8. After all they also called it a 'filler project' - just like the Dash-8 project. And obviously there was not much time left between all the 7X7 projects. So seeing today that the DC-6 is somehow part of a bigger picture is quite a relief! I'm now sure that the project won't be canceled and that makes waiting much easier

Even the original announcement screenies prove that a tremendous amount of work must've gone in the VC already. And the external model looks to be in beta stage on top of that. I can't really imagine the devs of this amazing gem would throw it all in the trash can.... But you're right of course, fantastic to know that the DC-6 project is finally well underway even if it's not for FSX initially. I believe X-Plane is on Steam now, the minute the DC-6 is released i'm on it! ( just checked.... ai,ai....55 euri ! and no reflections.... and totally different keys structure compared to FSX IIRC.... didn't like that at all! Oh, well, only one PMDG DC-6 once in a lifetime i suppose... :teapot: )

Have to agree with a poster on Avsim forum who says that without reflection the X-Plane DC-6 external model looks a bit plasticky. Certainly compared to the initial screenies which no doubt are from FSX.

The advantage of the DC-6 is that it has no FE station. So all the controls, buttons and switches are accessible from the pilot seat. Therefore one does not have to switch back and forth between the different stations. That will make it much easier to fly the plane

Exactly ! And lets not forget the words of RR himself when he announced the project : Quote "Low climbout angles, slow acceleration, carefully planned descents with plenty of drag so you can keep the power up in order to maintain engine temperatures and avoid torque loading the engines! (Don't worry- we'll teach you what all of that means!) Unquote

In any case, i'm ready! XP,FSX,P3D or whatever! :encouragement:

Cheers,
Jan

GypsyBaron
March 5th, 2015, 10:04

I am in the opposite camp here. I used to fly the A2A B-377 alot and found managing all the systems something that
kept the boredom out of long flights.

When COTS came along I pretty much stopped flying the 377, although I could 'disengage' the virtual crew.

I have my #2 hat switch on my X-47 set to switch me between Left Set, right seat, FE station and Nav station
with a flick of my thumb. That makes it easy to manage everything. Also, with TIR, I can look over my shoulder
to the FE panel to see if anything 'needs attention'.

These days I fly my A2A B-17G online, almost exclusively, with the 91st Bombardment Group. Flying formation adds
the needed 'challenge' to the otherwise benign operation of the 17. :)

Although I don't fly non-Accu-Sim aircraft as a rule, if the PDMG DC-6 is 'sufficiently modeled' I may give it a shot.

Paul

robcap
March 5th, 2015, 10:29
The advantage of the DC-6 is that it has no FE station. So all the controls, buttons and switches are accessible from the pilot seat. Therefore one does not have to switch back and forth between the different stations. That will make it much easier to fly the plane MUCH MUCH easier, I'm sure hahah!
How are you Tim?? Miss our liitle e-mail chats...Great times!

Cheers, Rob

Tim-HH
March 5th, 2015, 11:55
Even the original announcement screenies prove that a tremendous amount of work must've gone in the VC already. And the external model looks to be in beta stage on top of that. I can't really imagine the devs of this amazing gem would throw it all in the trash can....
Yes, when I saw the first pictures I thought they would release it within the next few weeks. Only the following three years of silence worried me a bit :D

I believe X-Plane is on Steam now, the minute the DC-6 is released i'm on it! ( just checked.... ai,ai....55 euri ! and no reflections.... and totally different keys structure compared to FSX IIRC.... didn't like that at all! Oh, well, only one PMDG DC-6 once in a lifetime i suppose... :teapot:)

I guess I also need a X-Plane copy now. Luckily Steam has always many bargain offers. Just two month ago they offered 50% off on X-Plane 10. Normally Steam has another big sale in one of the coming months. I'll drop you a note when I spot something interesting :running:

How are you Tim?? Miss our liitle e-mail chats...Great times!

Hey, great to hear from you, Rob! I'm fine, thank you. I hope you are as well! Great times indeed...also our meeting in Buckeberg. We should repeat that one day :)

Greetings
Tim

Javis
March 5th, 2015, 15:53
I understood they made a precise modelling of the engine behavior, but there isn't anything about "aging" engine, so I'm just curious. This could well be my very first PMDG purchase :)

I am absolutely sure you won't be dissapointed, Daube !

I have the PMDG 737, 747 and 777 and there's nothing that can be compared. They are the quintessence of "It's lonely at the top". Although i'm not that much of a tubeliner fan really, i just can't withstand top quality. Must say the CS T7 is a true competitor, maybe even more, when it comes to eyecandy. That thing is a feast for the eyes, both inside and out.
The PMDG DC-6 is going to be Propliner Simmer's Heaven !! It's got to be ! And it better be !! I'm not waiting for more than 3 years now for anything less ! :a1089: :adoration:

Cheers,
jan

CG_1976
March 5th, 2015, 15:59
Cough Cough, Ifly with there 737 and 747 certainly cant be left out. Both support FS9 thru FSX and P3D. A true Freedom of Choice in Payware with respect to those in Fs9 and FSX and P3D.

Javis
March 5th, 2015, 16:30
Hope that's the case. Managing a DC-6 isn't exactly fodder for FS2Crew (unless Bryan York decides to go in a completely different direction). But some degree of crew assist would be... well, definitely helpful, and maybe required.

Agreed! I tried FS2Crew many moons ago, can't remember much of it, maybe only that i thought it was pretty complex.... :) Really love the way A2A implemented 'a crew' in their amazing B-17 model. Not only a great help in flying her but the crew's voices are also the best i have ever heard in FS and add a lot to the immersion (atleast IMHO it usually is the other way around...). I am certainly not going to count on being welcomed 'B-17's wise' when i enter the DC-6 cockpit but boy! would i love it ! :cool:

On the other hand, should it turn out we're going to be all alone upthere in that superb looking VC afterall, i certainly wouldn't mind putting everything else aside and spend all my simming time on trying to fly this beautiful beast by the book just as long as 'the book' comes with it. Can't wait to learn all about mastering those awesome Double Wasps ! :adoration:

cheers,
jan

Javis
March 5th, 2015, 16:37
Cough Cough, Ifly with there 737 and 747 certainly cant be left out. Both support FS9 thru FSX and P3D. A true Freedom of Choice in Payware with respect to those in Fs9 and FSX and P3D.

I have the Ifly 737, certainly very nice indeed, but this is all about PMDG.... :teapot:

AussieMan
March 6th, 2015, 14:43
Received an email from FSPilot shop this morning promoting the PMDG B777-200. Was thinking of buying it until then. Quickly lost interest when I looked at the price.

No FS aircraft is worth $US100. If that is the price tag on the 777 then I can imagine a similar price tag on the DC-6.

As an aged pensioner on a very limited income I will be sticking with the AH/JF DC-6 no matter how good the PMDG one is.

SeanTK
March 6th, 2015, 18:05
Received an email from FSPilot shop this morning promoting the PMDG B777-200. Was thinking of buying it until then. Quickly lost interest when I looked at the price.

No FS aircraft is worth $US100. If that is the price tag on the 777 then I can imagine a similar price tag on the DC-6.

As an aged pensioner on a very limited income I will be sticking with the AH/JF DC-6 no matter how good the PMDG one is.

First and foremost...I'm looking forward to the DC-6, and glad to see that it really is in development!

Second, to address the above, PMDG is charging both what the market will support, and their 737 and 777 addons are hot sellers despite the price, so...the market is willing to support those costs. In addition, their current Boeing products are licensed by Boeing, and produced in cooperation with them, so that is a very significant part of the cost as well. As we don't know the licensing situation with the DC-6, it's hard to say how much it would be, but I would be surprised if it was over $60-70 mark due to the niche nature of the product (many vocal simmers seems to be die-hard jetliner-only fans), and I do not suspect that any licensing costs would warrant a higher price in this case. Again, hard to say, but I do not suspect that it'll be over what I am estimating above. They cant' accomodate the financial state of all simulation users, and just as I would pass on investing in a Lamborghini at the current time, many of us may have to pass on investing in another high-end addon to this hobby.

Hopefully we'll see a plethora of third-party repaints available upon release!

AussieMan
March 6th, 2015, 19:59
As SeanTK claims that PMDG are charging what the market will support may I be so bold to ask just how many people on limited or fixed incomes can support $100 for an FS aircraft.

By the time I do my fortnightly shopping, make a fortnightly payment on my electricity and phone bills and put petrol in my car I am left with about $150 to last me for the fortnight. It does not include the extra petrol I need if I am called to my Fire Control Centre to do communications, a weekend roster for the same as well as training and the extras required to visit relatives as well as buy birthday and Christmas gifts for my grandchildren. Oh and don't forget my required medication.

ColoKent
March 6th, 2015, 20:40
As SeanTK claims that PMDG are charging what the market will support may I be so bold to ask just how many people on limited or fixed incomes can support $100 for an FS aircraft.

By the time I do my fortnightly shopping, make a fortnightly payment on my electricity and phone bills and put petrol in my car I am left with about $150 to last me for the fortnight. It does not include the extra petrol I need if I am called to my Fire Control Centre to do communications, a weekend roster for the same as well as training and the extras required to visit relatives as well as buy birthday and Christmas gifts for my grandchildren. Oh and don't forget my required medication.

AussieMan, let me start out by emphasizing that I appreciate all you do on this forum, so my following comments are ABSOLUTELY not meant to be personal, and are made with all due respect to your accomplishments. That said however, pricing issues do not seem to be very complicated to me:

1. Businesses choose to price their products as they see fit-- and the market will determine if the business priced it "correctly" or not.
2. The good news is, as a consumer, you get to make the decision whether to buy products or not.

Seems like a straightforward arrangement to me...It is not a hard assumption to make that PMDG has a HUGE investment in development time in every model they produce and update due to the rather extreme level of systems and FDE modeling. As a result, I am certain that the price reflects what Robert thought is required to cover his fixed and project costs, and make some profit.

Again, I recognize (and sympathize) with the irritation when we see something we want that we believe is "overpriced" (the 2015 Porsche Cayman GTS comes to mind for me...:banghead:)

Regards,

Kent

Javis
March 6th, 2015, 22:28
Wouldn't you think it's a bit premature to start worrying about the price of the PMDG DC-6 ? We (DC-6 afficionados) have been sitting in the briefing room for more then 3 years. Like Tim said, already when the project was announced 3 years ago the screenshots looked like the project might've been atleast at beta stage, maybe a month or two before release..... Yeah, right ! :icon_eek:

This latest announcement again sort of promises a 'coming to your (XP) theatre soon' but i have learned my lesson. I'd say worry about the price once you can click on the pay button... :cool:

Besides, Pat, somewhere in Mr.Randazzo's latest comments about the DC-6 he says that PMDG is certainly not looking for to get awfully rich with this project. Remember it's a 'testbed', both on account of it being PMDG's first vintage propliner and X-Plane compatible. I have a hunge the price will be very moderate, certainly compared to their regular line of super detailed jetliners.

Btw, if you want an exquisit rendition of a 777, one that can stand proudly in the shadow of the PMDG 777, and, modeling/texturing wise, can even taxi out of that shadow, and you don't want to spend a hundred bucks on it, go with the Captainsim 777. The base pack is only $29.99 atm, an absolute bargain for such superb high quality.

http://www.captainsim.com/store/x777_index.html

cheers,
jan