PDA

View Full Version : Home renovations WIP

OleBoy
November 5th, 2013, 10:35
A project I've needed to do since we moved into our home. Removing the popcorn ceiling. 1800 square feet of it.

School is in. Is this something anyone else has taken on themselves? I dred what's coming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuE8lvmKVjw

wbuchart
November 5th, 2013, 14:02
Very educational...this reminds me (educated me) why I only paint my house every 12 or so years :icon_lol:(no kids = not as much wear and tear so it lasts longer)

Curtis P40
November 5th, 2013, 15:34
I think I would use a 12" trowel, and a little one for touch ups. Looks like the prep is more work...:icon_lol: What's your final finish going to be ?

ThinkingManNeil
November 5th, 2013, 19:51
There's a unpeeled pineapple colonic waiting in hell for the person who came up with the "popcorn ceiling". Hate them with a passion...

N.

stansdds
November 6th, 2013, 01:53
There's a unpeeled pineapple colonic waiting in hell for the person who came up with the "popcorn ceiling". Hate them with a passion...

N.

Me too!

stiz
November 6th, 2013, 02:08
looks almost as bad as wood chip .. which is a right ol b***r to get off!

SPman
November 6th, 2013, 16:48
By popcorn ceiling, I assume you mean the sprayed on ceiling finish with a textured surface.

How old is the ceiling? Back in the 70s, they used asbestos in the mix......

Gdavis101
November 6th, 2013, 22:21
Interesting video.. Agree with the statements on ceiling popcorn!!

On a side note, read the bottom of your post about texting and driving, totally agree with you! People that do it should have their ******* heads examined. I just can't contemplate how anyone can even think its a safe thing to do..

stansdds
November 7th, 2013, 01:57
By popcorn ceiling, I assume you mean the sprayed on ceiling finish with a textured surface.

How old is the ceiling? Back in the 70s, they used asbestos in the mix......

Excellent point. If it is asbestos then you will want to have it professionally removed.

napamule
November 7th, 2013, 11:30
If it was me I would just cover it up with new sheet rock. Much easier and probably easier on/better for your health (that remover might just go into your 'system' thru your skin and it must go into your ears/eyes/sinus). Just saying. Removal of that layered paint/texture is too much work and seems dangerous (1 spark=kaboom)!
Chuck B
Napamule

WarHorse47
November 7th, 2013, 11:48
We went through this process several years ago and had the popcorn removed from about 900 sq. ft. of our home.

We found a fellow from Chehalis, WA to do the job. At first there was a concern over asbestos since our house was built in 1972, but knowing the contractor and his quality of work it was determined to be safe.

The process started by moving all the furniture to the center of each room, then covering the walls, floors and furniture with plastic. He used a special steamer to loosen the popcorn texture before scraping. This also protected the sheet rock from any damage (and also set off our smoke alarm at one point).

After the ceiling was cleared, the sheet plastic was bundled and removed. Once everything was dry, the old ceiling drywall was secured in spots from any sagging and repairs were made where necessary.

The final step included more clear plastic sheet for sealing the sheet rock, texturing and painting. In addition to the ceiling work he worked with me to remove some cedar paneling from one wall, then seal and texture it. We painted the wall and replaced the baseboard trim when he was done with his work.

I'm glad we contracted out the work, but we were lucky to get someone experienced and local. It's a lot of back breaking work. He did the job with the help of his wife and daughter.

TeaSea
November 7th, 2013, 16:07
I've seen it done, never done it myself....it's a lot of mess, but it's not that hard. Prep is the hardest part, then clean it up. Far better than simply putting it off.

However, if you're still intimidated, follow WarHorse47's advice...contract it out.

And definitely have it tested for asbestos.

aeromed202
November 7th, 2013, 18:54
A recurring story I've heard from rockers is that the coarse texturing was mainly to hide average or worse sheet rock installation. We opted to improve on a plaster ceiling with some cracks and such by installing 1/2" rock right over it. When we had some contractors bid they all had the same reaction when we requested a smooth finish, "don't you want texturing?" We ended up having to watch the work carefully to see it was done well, which it mainly was but boy did they grumble. Definitely test for asbestos, then perhaps consider a general removal and like we did maybe rock the face, or some crews do a nice skim job, they just apply a thin layer of mud to give the surface a clean smooth finish. Might save some tedious work getting every bit of the texturing off. Then seal with PVA and paint to taste. Going to be messy for sure.

Naismith
November 7th, 2013, 23:36
Ever the contrarian, I like popcorn ceilings, albeit a pest to repaint, we have it in the family room. And in the kitchen we have what is described as an Orange peel, that is nice too. But we do not have Stainless Steel (which seems to stain all too easily) appliances nor do we have granite worktops (it's radioactive you known :-) )

TeaSea
November 14th, 2013, 16:18
We have orange peel on the walls, and knockdown on the ceiling. Makes a nice contrast. Doesn't pick up too much dust (they all pick up dust, event the flat surface).

All textured surfaces are handy for hiding problems in the walls, which ALL houses using drywall have. However, when you repaint or fill in holes (hanging hooks, frames, etc), you must repeat the pattern. Can't simply put Spackle in the hole. However, it's easily done with a handy can of spray. Just practice a little first until you get the hang of it.