PDA

View Full Version : I have a Plane!

N2056
October 31st, 2013, 20:37
I had posted that my Dad decided to give up flying a few months ago. At the time I posted about it I was in agreement with his decision. At that time there was no real discussion between us regarding what would happen with the planes. Last week he informed me that the Thorp was in the process of being sold. That was a hard bit of news as the plane (understand that we had more than one Thorp over the years) was a big part of my life. Although I was sad to hear the news I also knew that as much as I would have wanted to acquire the Thorp I would have faced a difficult road getting to the point where I could fly it. I don't have a private pilot's license. I have doubt that I could get one due to medical issues. Folks that have been around here for awhile may recall that the first plane I modeled was of the Pietenpol Aircamper I helped my Dad build some thirty odd years ago. We still have that plane. From what I have been able to research it can be flown by someone holding a Recreational Pilot's license. I can get that.

Last Saturday I stopped by the hanger to see how he was doing with his car restoration project. We talked about the planes a bit, and at the end of the discussion he told me that the he would keep the Pete for me until I was ready to fly it or do whatever else I saw fit to do with it.

I'm still pinching myself.

Pics of me working on it a long time ago...

A recent pic

ratty
October 31st, 2013, 20:49
Congratulations, Robert. It's a beauty!

Is that Gillespie?

Ian

N2056
October 31st, 2013, 20:51
It is. Good eye! :applause:

hairyspin
November 1st, 2013, 04:38
I remember being clean-shaved too, but that was a long time ago. Lucky you, I hope you do get to fly her!

gtirob01
November 1st, 2013, 07:39
Knew I recognized those hangers.... and the hill! Used to frequent Gillespie all the time. Also my dads work was in that large yellow building right next to the approach for runway 17

Cool aircraft, hope you get the opportunity to fly it!

aircav1970
November 1st, 2013, 08:30
Congrats on the acquisition Robert,having flown your "Pete" in the sim many times I hope we get to see you fly the real deal sometime,best of luck in being able to do that soon! Gary:cool:

Ferry_vO
November 1st, 2013, 08:46
Congratulations Robert, good to hear it stays in the family! :applause:

One question though: I've seen a Pietenpol once or twice, and I've always wondered how you would get into the front seat...? Is that even possible for an adult..? :isadizzy:

Skyhawk_310R
November 1st, 2013, 16:40
Firstly, I would urge you to check with a doctor to determine your ability to pass an FAA medical exam. Most AME's will be happy to discuss this with you in detail. If they doubt you could, then you still have the option to pursue a VFR only recreational pilot certificate provided you hold a automobile driver's license. Your airplane seems perfect for this option given its horsepower and weight.

It seems to me that you have some options here and I would certainly hope you pursue them.

Cheers,

Ken

fliger747
November 1st, 2013, 18:09
Indeed, the FAA has much increased the conditions with which one can get a special issuance, certainly worth pursuing with an AME, they are on your side!

Good Luck! T

huub vink
November 2nd, 2013, 03:00
Enjoy the plane Robert, she looks lovely!

T6flyer
November 2nd, 2013, 06:43

One question though: I've seen a Pietenpol once or twice, and I've always wondered how you would get into the front seat...? Is that even possible for an adult..? :isadizzy:

I'm 6' 2" and I just fit into the front cockpit. It was a bit of a squeeze though and I can't quite remember what the drill was, but yes it is possible!

Cheers,

Martin

Skyhawk_310R
November 2nd, 2013, 08:09
Huub,

For years now, that girl in your avatar has been relying upon that last and final button to hold together. I keep waiting for simple physics to take hold and see that girl bust out, but that has to be the strongest final button in the history of clothing!

Ken

srgalahad
November 2nd, 2013, 13:14

this might help.. as will practice :icon_lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-EgR2eGbN0

N2056
November 2nd, 2013, 13:23
If you look closely at the recent picture you can see how we modified the fuselage with a hinged panel that makes access a bit more doable. Even with that extra bit of room it is a real challenge to get into the front pit. :isadizzy: