PDA

View Full Version : DDS Batch file Needed

falcon409
October 31st, 2013, 17:41
I want to add mips to dds files (both DXT5 and DXT1). I have a texture folder with approx. 100 texture files. I could do this manually, but obviously it would take some time. Anyone know if this is possible?

Smudge
October 31st, 2013, 17:53
Create a batch file in notepad with the following command.

imagetool -nobeep -dxt5 -dds -mip -nodither *.dds

Save that in the texture folder containing your dds files and make sure you have a copy of imagetool.exe in the folder too. Then run the batch file and watch it do its magic.

You can change -dxt5 to -dxt1 or -32 (32 bit) for differing levels of quality, though if you're converting .dds dxt5's to 32, you won't see much difference due to the compression of the source material.

You can use -mip for mipmaps, but for aircraft I recommend -nomip to ensure you don't get the dreaded blurries!

-dds basically means you're saving it as a .dds extension

As a further note, Imagetool batching will also handle PSD files and BMP files too, just alter the last element from *.dds to *.psd or *.bmp

Whilst this isn't the only way to do batch conversions, I use this format for converting my aircraft PSD masters to dds for flightsim.

Hope that helps!

David.

falcon409
October 31st, 2013, 17:59
Great David Thanks. I am battling some problems with scenery work I've done. I want to view the difference between textures with no mips and textures with mips to try to get a sense of where the problem lies. This will do the trick. Many thanks!!:salute: