PDA

View Full Version : A Loss to the Developer World

N2056
January 16th, 2009, 19:12
Anyone who has spent much time at the developer forums probably would recognize the name Gerard. Here he was known as "kweetnix". Sadly Gerard van der Harst has left this world for a better one as reported by Mathias in a few developer forums. Gerard was one of the big talents in modeling. I personally learned a lot of modeling tricks by paying attention to what Gerard had to say on the subject, and I will miss him. My thoughts go out to his Family, and also to our brother member Mathias, who has lost a good friend.

hews500d
January 16th, 2009, 19:25
This is truly a sad moment and a great loss to the developer world. My condolences to Gerard's family and friends, I too learned a lot from him.

:engel016::engel016::engel016:

Darrell

Panther_99FS
January 16th, 2009, 19:26
:frown:...

mike_cyul
January 16th, 2009, 19:55
That's very sad news indeed. He will be sorely missed. Sincerest condolences.

Mike

CodyValkyrie
January 16th, 2009, 19:58
Perhaps he will be flying in greener pastures and bluer clouds. God rest and condolences to the family and friends.

Lionheart
January 16th, 2009, 21:08
Man..... I cant believe it..

He taught me tons of things about model making. Have you seen some of the things he made in Max?? Incredible work..

I always admired him. I always will. His mesh work was some of the best I have ever seen. His French air racer had the most brilliant mesh craftsmanship I have ever seen. Same for his twin engine fighter bomber.

I find this unbeleiveable..

Life is precious.. We have to be thankful for the time we have here, and be thankful for knowing such souls that helped us along in life, making the world a better, more incredible place.

Gerard,

May you know the new lands, the new Kingdom. May you know a new peace, a new way of flight. May this only be the beginning of life. May your friends and family be able to endure your departure. I for one shall miss you Sir.

Bill

EDIT: I found out that Gerrard was suffering from ALS desease;

What is A.L.S.

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis is a progressive, fatal neuromuscular disease characterized by a degeneration of motor nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord. The disease attacks the part of the nervous system that controls voluntary muscle movement. The nerve cells that control muscle cells are gradually lost.

A.L.S. ultimately robs those affected of every physical activity. It is a debilitating disease that can make every breath a struggle. The harshest reality of the disease is the patient’s consciousness of its progression. The victims virtually become prisoners in their own bodies. Despite years of research, the cause of A.L.S. has yet to be determined, making the search for a cure all that more difficult.

Did you know…
New York Yankees superstar Lou Gehrig was diagnosed with A.L.S. in 1939. He died two years later at age 38.
Currently, 30,000 Americans have the disease with over 5,600 people in the United States being diagnosed with A.L.S. each year.
The life expectancy of an A.L.S. patient averages two to five years, although the disease progresses at different rates in each individual.
About 5% to 10% of people with A.L.S. have an inherited form of the disease.
More people die every year of A.L.S. than of multiple sclerosis or Huntington’s disease.
It can cost up to $250,000 per year to care for an A.L.S. patient as the disease progresses

ROB
January 16th, 2009, 22:54
That is truly sad news. I will always rememeber His low poly perfectly looking sculptures.

[i]

regards
ROB

some1
January 17th, 2009, 01:00
I learned a lot from his great tutorials. May He rest in peace.

txnetcop
January 17th, 2009, 01:28
This is very sad news. Our family will pray for his and for Mathias. I've lost some friends and each one takes a part of you with him as they pass on. I can imagine Mathias's grief. Gerard will be missed.
Ted

deathfromafar
January 17th, 2009, 01:45

MorrisTheCat
January 17th, 2009, 01:51
As with many, he was also quick to help and not guard tricks as some big secret that couldn't be passed on....Best Wishes to his family in their moment of sarrow.

Regards,

MoCat

MCDesigns
January 17th, 2009, 03:28
My condolences!

Cazzie
January 17th, 2009, 03:49
Truly sad, we will all miss his unique creations. My sincere condolences to his family and all friends.

Bill, here ALS is referred to as "Lou Gehrig's' Disease".

Caz

harleyman
January 17th, 2009, 04:41
I did not know the man..But I'm sure from reading this thread he was a big player in the developing world for us.....

My prayers too go out to his family and loved ones... :engel016:

Boomer
January 17th, 2009, 04:43
A tragedy... My condolences to those he left behind.

Blue skies...:engel016::engel016::engel016:

Meso
January 17th, 2009, 05:19
I also did not know him, but i am sorry to hear this sad news. my condolences to his friends and family

empeck
January 17th, 2009, 05:25
This is very sad news, may he rest in peace.

GT182
January 17th, 2009, 06:24
And my condolences too to his family and Mathias. May he R.I.P. :engel016:

stovall
January 17th, 2009, 06:29
This great man lives on in the hearts and minds of those he taught. My condolences to family and friends.

Marvin Carter
January 17th, 2009, 08:03
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth of sun-split clouds,--and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless falls of air...
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, nor eer eagle flew--
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high, untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God.”
Sorry to here!!!

Marvin Carter

grumpos
January 17th, 2009, 08:17
Very sad news. Gerard's tutorials were a great help to me when I was struggling with max. A fine teacher and a great man indeed.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Henry
January 17th, 2009, 08:58
Sad news indeed!
I have known him "Virtually" for many years
a great loss
H

crashaz
January 17th, 2009, 10:04
A loss of a true treasure here in the community. My condolences to his family and friends on his loss. Prayers for them and Gerard's ascendency to a place of no suffering and peace.

Bjoern
January 18th, 2009, 09:16
*Salutes*

Warrant
January 18th, 2009, 10:11
He will be missed. :frown:

All the strength to his relatives.

Markoz
January 19th, 2009, 02:45
EDIT: I found out that Gerrard was suffering from ALS desease;

What is A.L.S.

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis is a progressive, fatal neuromuscular disease characterized by a degeneration of motor nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord. The disease attacks the part of the nervous system that controls voluntary muscle movement. The nerve cells that control muscle cells are gradually lost.

A.L.S. ultimately robs those affected of every physical activity. It is a debilitating disease that can make every breath a struggle. The harshest reality of the disease is the patient’s consciousness of its progression. The victims virtually become prisoners in their own bodies. Despite years of research, the cause of A.L.S. has yet to be determined, making the search for a cure all that more difficult.

Just to add more info about A.L.S. It is called Motor Neurone Disease (M.N.D.) here in Australia.

My father died of MND in 1991, just 18 months after being diagnosed. It is a horrible thing to watch someone dying of. Unfortunately, most people die within two years of diagnosis. The signs of the onset of the disease may have been present for two or more years prior to diagnosis. It was two years prior in the case of my father. My father eventually died because his diaphram could no longer function. He was 58 years old.

Gerard lived a long time with this (16 years acording to Mathias). I hope he didn't suffer too much in all those years.

If Gerard did suffer, then we should thank God that He took Gerard away from all of his pain and suffering.

Gerard: May you enjoy eternal life in Heaven. You are gone, but will not be forgotten by those of us you left behind.

Mark