PDA

View Full Version : An SbuilderX INF Question

falcon409
October 12th, 2013, 09:02
I've posted this over on the FSDevelopers site, but it can take a while sometimes to get an answer and I need a quick response to this so I can go forward with what I'm working on. I am doing a winter ground texture which obviously requires a large amount of white. Running the compiler in SBX produces not white but red due to the "null value" setting of 255,255,255. I want to change that slightly to remove the red and get the results I want, but changing the inf file (photo01.inf is the only inf file I have found in SBX so I assume that's the one it's using to compile) has been futile because even if I change it to something like 254,254,254. . .when the compiler runs, it reverts right back to the original null, apparently it overwrites it. Anyone know a different way of changing the value so that it sticks?

stovall
October 12th, 2013, 09:44
Ed, I change the inf file routinely because of the red blotches. I make my null value 000,000,000. It never changes back on the resample recompile. I make four sections. Section one original xxxxx.bmp, section two is the xxxx_LM, section three is the xxxx_B.tif and number four is xxxx_W.tif. You probably know this but I also change the identity of section one to day and that of two to night. Hope this helps.

SCARP
October 12th, 2013, 09:46
I think the best and quickest option is to use the 'replace color' function in photoshop (or similar functions in other editors) and replace the full on '255 white' to a slightly less white on the image it self. That's what I do. You are talking about photoscenery, right?

falcon409
October 12th, 2013, 10:13
Ed, I change the inf file routinely because of the red blotches. I make my null value 000,000,000. It never changes back on the resample recompile. I make four sections. Section one original xxxxx.bmp, section two is the xxxx_LM, section three is the xxxx_B.tif and number four is xxxx_W.tif. You probably know this but I also change the identity of section one to day and that of two to night. Hope this helps.
In using SBX for compiling, all I have to do is click the compile button and then sit and watch while it runs the process. It uses the "photo01.inf" file to run the compiler and each of the sections you mention is already applied based on the number of sources I produce. Despite my best efforts, no changes I make to the inf file are carried over. . .as soon as the compiler starts, it overwrites my changes and goes back to the original null value. I've read other posts on the FSDeveloper website and it's suggested there that to eliminate the red areas you change the null values in the inf file. No one has come back and said "Hey that doesn't work because the null values automatically reset to the original values". So I'm not sure why it isn't working for me.

falcon409
October 12th, 2013, 10:15
I think the best and quickest option is to use the 'replace color' function in photoshop (or similar functions in other editors) and replace the full on '255 white' to a slightly less white on the image it self. That's what I do. You are talking about photoscenery, right?
I use PaintShop Pro so I don't known if that option is available, but I'll sure give it a try cause the other way isn't working and I'm wasting valuable time messing with it. Thanks!:salute:

stovall
October 12th, 2013, 10:49
In using SBX for compiling, all I have to do is click the compile button and then sit and watch while it runs the process. It uses the "photo01.inf" file to run the compiler and each of the sections you mention is already applied based on the number of sources I produce. Despite my best efforts, no changes I make to the inf file are carried over. . .as soon as the compiler starts, it overwrites my changes and goes back to the original null value. I've read other posts on the FSDeveloper website and it's suggested there that to eliminate the red areas you change the null values in the inf file. No one has come back and said "Hey that doesn't work because the null values automatically reset to the original values". So I'm not sure why it isn't working for me.

Ed, in the Terrain SDK there is a compiler tool called resample. I put that in my folder with all my textures and inf file. I simply copy the inf file and past on the resample tool. That will recompile you changes. Just one of the things Mark has taught me.

roger-wilco-66
October 12th, 2013, 11:49
As Tom said, I'd compile it myself with the resample tool (SBX does nothing else). The big advantage in doing it yourself is that you have full control of the parameters in the inf file and can catch error messages if they appear. By the way, SBX compiles with a compression ratio of 85, and by setting the parameter

CompressionQuality = 100

if you do it manually it gives you a crisper photobackground.

Cheers,
Mark