PDA

View Full Version : FM-2 Wildcat

bub
October 10th, 2013, 14:28
Hi All,
Here's the next one in my rebuilding process. I haven't put the "decals" on yet. I might just move some of the Wildcats over from SimV for ease of maintainence. There also will be an Atlantic version for U-Boat hunting.
Thanks,
Bub

gaucho_59
October 10th, 2013, 17:04
Hi All,
Here's the next one in my rebuilding process. I haven't put the "decals" on yet. I might just move some of the Wildcats over from SimV for ease of maintainence. There also will be an Atlantic version for U-Boat hunting.
Thanks,
Bub

I can provide you with a substitute for that Japanese pilot on the Wildcat...
Something I cannot understand.. why no one has ever paid attention to that ubiquitous Asiatic looking pilot in all
CFS2 models!!!
This is just one example of the RAF, USMC, and USARMY pilot heads I have created... (If you click on it, you can download it)
Enclosed, find my take on a USS Princeton Wildcat..

Cheers

bub
October 11th, 2013, 12:41
Gaucho,
It seems a little ironic that the only thing you center in on to find fault with is the pilot, its yours. I got it from the P-47 thread. Maybe he needs a little "plastic surgury".
Bub

gaucho_59
October 11th, 2013, 13:53
Gaucho,
It seems a little ironic that the only thing you center in on to find fault with is the pilot, its yours. I got it from the P-47 thread. Maybe he needs a little "plastic surgury".
Bub

It is not your fault... you didn't put the pilot there.. I don't think...
I'll check this thread of the P-47... Maybe I didn't replace the pilot on the original texture...
At any rate... let me check to answer properly...

gaucho_59
October 11th, 2013, 13:59
It is not your fault... you didn't put the pilot there.. I don't think...
I'll check this thread of the P-47... Maybe I didn't replace the pilot on the original texture...
At any rate... let me check to answer properly...

The pilot I put there is the right one... how did you use it? Did I send to you the bmp... or
you just copied the jpg and converted it?... I think that maybe the low resolution of the jpg you posted
made it look to me like the old Jap one...

gaucho_59
October 11th, 2013, 14:06
The pilot I put there is the right one... how did you use it? Did I send to you the bmp... or
you just copied the jpg and converted it?... I think that maybe the low resolution of the jpg you posted
made it look to me like the old Jap one...

I am not trying to find fault with your stuff... just check the thread where Keltie finds faults with my P-51s...
I never took offense and eventually... following through with all the faults it had.. I finally got it right... seeing he had
valid comments... I followed through.. never thinking he was "finding fault" for criticism's sake.. but rather he was helping
me to do a better job... sorry if my comment sounded like "finding fault"...

bub
October 11th, 2013, 16:05
Gaucho,

Lighten up. I was only being a little sarcastic. I actually like the pilot, thats why I used it. I've known Kelti a long time and he points things out in a factual manner. He's not being critical, just being helpful.
I just copied it and converted it. I'll try using the one in this thread and see how it looks as opposed to the last one. If you notice my avatar you may get an idea of how I operate. Agent Provocateur. Sometimes stirring the pot, in a good way, gets results and also its fun. Please, take no offense to my comments, there was none intended.

Bub

gaucho_59
October 11th, 2013, 18:58
Gaucho,

Lighten up. I was only being a little sarcastic. I actually like the pilot, thats why I used it. I've known Kelti a long time and he points things out in a factual manner. He's not being critical, just being helpful.
I just copied it and converted it. I'll try using the one in this thread and see how it looks as opposed to the last one. If you notice my avatar you may get an idea of how I operate. Agent Provocateur. Sometimes stirring the pot, in a good way, gets results and also its fun. Please, take no offense to my comments, there was none intended.

Bub

No problem at all... the problem with jpg files is that they deteriorate every time you open them.... and
end up with a moiree pattern...
If you want to use any of my textures... just PM me and I will send originals in bmp or extended bmp...
[btw... extended bmp files ...like jpg... also deteriorate... so I usually keep the original in PSP and
using Wright's DXTBMP program... turn them into brand new extended.. DDS or whatever is needed...

Cheers,

Devildog73
October 11th, 2013, 22:02
Bub,
Keep them coming brother! Thanks for bringing new life into the old sim.

Gaucho, thanks for the pilots!

Teufel Hund 73

bub
October 12th, 2013, 11:33
Danka, Herr Tuefelhund, I've found a bunch of stuff and if people don't get "pissed off" at me, there's more coming.

Gaucho, in looking at one of your last replies, yes I did put the pilot there. Wait for the upload, it will all be clear.

Anyway, here's the next one. It will be a complete package, so you shouldn't have to do anything. Unless you want to. If I get ambitious, I'll throw in a skin package later.

Thanks,
Bub

Yes, I know its the "wrong" pilot, its an old screenshot.

bub
October 13th, 2013, 09:06
Hi All,
A U-Boat hunting we will go.
Bub

kelticheart
October 15th, 2013, 02:56
Hi All,
A U-Boat hunting we will go.
Bub

Lovely, Bub!

If the *.mdl is still the same as the FM-2 you uploaded a while ago over at Lindsay's (B.T.W.: is it offline for good? I haven't been able to log in for weeks now....), I can provide updated prop textures and exh effects. This time for real! :redface:

Cheers!
KH :ernae:

bub
October 15th, 2013, 08:07
Kelti,
The mdl. has not changed. The only thing different was the addition of depth charges. And, thanks in advance. The addition of your outstanding props will make the "old girl" much more attractive. I believe Lindsey's site is gone. I thought Tom was going to bring it back. I haven't heard from him in a while. Hope all is well. If you need anything, let me know.
Thanks again,
Bub

gaucho_59
October 15th, 2013, 09:33
Kelti,
The mdl. has not changed. The only thing different was the addition of depth charges. And, thanks in advance. The addition of your outstanding props will make the "old girl" much more attractive. I believe Lindsey's site is gone. I thought Tom was going to bring it back. I haven't heard from him in a while. Hope all is well. If you need anything, let me know.
Thanks again,
Bub

I finished an old project I had left hanging for quite a while... a "photorealistic" panel for the Wildcat...

gaucho_59
October 15th, 2013, 09:38
I finished an old project I had left hanging for quite a while... a "photorealistic" panel for the Wildcat...

Since Wildcats would be chasing Betty formations... I did a panel for that too...

bub
October 15th, 2013, 11:20
Gaucho,
Looking good. Why don't you upload them. I'm sure they would be appreciated.
Bub

Captain Kurt
October 16th, 2013, 07:20
I agree, those panels should be posted. I especially like the Wildcat

kelticheart
October 17th, 2013, 00:31
I agree, those panels should be posted. I especially like the Wildcat

... there's a wee detail in need of correction.

I truly beg everybody's forgiveness for my picking details out of place everytime, but I cannot help pointing out defects where an otherwise impeccable job, as this 2d panel, can be brought to perfection with little effort.

Gaucho, it seems that you are my favourite criticism target lately, but believe me, I am only trying to bring your splendid paintworks to a 100% fool-proof level!

If you look carefully at all the screenshots posted above, you will certainly notice a Wildcat canopy frame doesn't show extra frame bars by the two sides of the windshield. This frame looks more like an Avenger panel, you could actually develop two panels out of one by correcting this for the Wildcat and modify the instrument panel for the Avenger.

BUB:

as promised, please find attached below updated prop textures and a Green Ghost-style exhaust effect for the FM-2.

I take no credit for the original exhaust effect placement, which I guess you did since I found it in the "Mah Baby" pack posted over at Lindsay's old site.

Could you please you help me with the below weird display problem of the FM-2 pilot?

Cheers!

kelticheart
October 17th, 2013, 00:35
....this is what I meant.

Thank you!

gaucho_59
October 17th, 2013, 03:50
....this is what I meant.

Thank you!

Easy enough to do... my commission or omission...
will rectify...

bub
October 17th, 2013, 04:54
Kelti,
I think I know the problem. Let me find my notes on the US_Pilot and I'll get you a fix. Thanks for the props, etc., I'll include them in the upload package.
Bub

bub
October 17th, 2013, 07:40
Kelti,

Here's the fix. Start with fresh copies as it will be easier.

Pilot FM-2
Find us_pilot_1.bmp and us_pilot_2.bmp in the CFS2\Texture folder. Take a copy of
both files & paste them into the Texture folder of the Wildcat. Then open the copies
in DXTBmp & change the Alpha Channel to black. (Alpha > Invert Alpha) 'Save As' in
Extended 555-1 format. (CFS2 reads textures in the aircraft Texture folder before
the main Texture directory.)
First add this extra mount under
[HARDPOINTS]
mount.19=-0.03,0.23,-1.01
This is the first payload entry. (He will need adding to each Payload.) Note this is
for Mauro's US Pilot.
[PAYLOAD.0]
; Payload = Guns Only
mount.19=US_pilot, 1, 0
Also, make sure you have unaltered copies in Mauro's US Pilot texture folder.
Don't forget to delete the CDP file before trying it in CFS2. Good Luck!

If you still have problems, let me know.
Bub

kelticheart
October 18th, 2013, 01:00
Easy enough to do... my commission or omission...
will rectify...

SPLENDIDO! :applause: :applause: :applause:

Pilot Fix
Kelti,

Here's the fix. Start with fresh copies as it will be easier.

Pilot FM-2
Find us_pilot_1.bmp and us_pilot_2.bmp in the CFS2\Texture folder. Take a copy of
both files & paste them into the Texture folder of the Wildcat. Then open the copies
in DXTBmp & change the Alpha Channel to black. (Alpha > Invert Alpha) 'Save As' in
Extended 555-1 format. (CFS2 reads textures in the aircraft Texture folder before
the main Texture directory.)
First add this extra mount under
[HARDPOINTS]
mount.19=-0.03,0.23,-1.01
This is the first payload entry. (He will need adding to each Payload.)

Gotcha! I did not know stock CFS2 pilot texture had alpha channel textures, I never felt the need to open them. It explains the "ghost pilot" problem perfectly.
But.....how come it shows up even if I did not install US_Pilot in my root \AIRCRAFTS folder? And no error message for a missing payload either. This is a mistery.

This also brings up a suggestion: since I always run my \AIRCRAFTS folder filled to the brim, I personally hate to have to waste a precious airplane folder to accomodate a simple pilot. From previous threads, I know other simmers around here share the same feelings.
I much rather use pilot figures that can be loaded as any other payload, like Martin Wright's RAF pilor, or Wolfi's US pilot or William Dicken's Allied pilot.

In my last upload pack for Mauro Giacomazzi's aircraft production, I replaced all of Mauro's pilots with the above. I strongly suggest to do the same with Gramps' FM-2.

You're welcome to the blurred prop textures and the exh effect, (just a tad overdue....:icon_lol:) do as you please with them.

Since you wrote above that Lindsay's website is gone, do you think it would be kosher re-uploading here my stock OH B-24 repaint based on Lindsay's B-24 desert livery?

Cheers!

bub
October 18th, 2013, 04:15
Kelti,
It was explained to me that the game reads the textures in the Wildcat folder first, which makes the existing pilot invisable. Then it reads the ones in Mauro's pilot, which makes it visable. After that it would go to the Main Texture folder.

Thanks again for the props etc., they are perfect for the FM-2.

As far as reloading the Textures from Lindseys site, If they're yours, no problem. I would make sure I gave credit to all who were involved. That should cover the bases, in my opinion.

Again, thank you. I'l try to get the FM-2 packaged up and uploaded as soon as possible.
Bub

bub
October 19th, 2013, 18:52
Hi All,
Just uploaded "Mah Baby". Make sure you read the ReadMe. This aircraft contains lots of good "stuff" from lots of good people.
Have fun,
Bub

bub
October 19th, 2013, 21:18
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/soh_ftp/uploads/imageuploads/389913822370345014.jpg
A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - American

Description: Hi All,

Here's my rendition of Gramps FM-2 Wildcat. It's in the colors of "Mah Baby" flown by Lt. J.D. McGraw of VC-10 off the USS Gambier Bay, CVE-73. He ended the war with five confirmed air to air victories. It's a complete aircraft. Panel, sounds, etc.

Please read the ReadMe, It has all the information needed to make this work.

As usual, all legalities apply.

Thanks and Have Fun,

Bub

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit RM_FM-2_Wildcat.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=17587&catid=52)
The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

darrenvox
October 20th, 2013, 05:40
thats awesome looking

gaucho_59
October 20th, 2013, 05:51
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/soh_ftp/uploads/imageuploads/389913822370345014.jpg
A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - American

Here's my rendition of Gramps FM-2 Wildcat. It's in the colors of "Mah Baby" flown by Lt. J.D. McGraw of VC-10 off the USS Gambier Bay, CVE-73. He ended the war with five confirmed air to air victories. It's a complete aircraft. Panel, sounds, etc.

Please read the ReadMe, It has all the information needed to make this work.

As usual, all legalities apply.

Thanks and Have Fun,

Bub

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit RM_FM-2_Wildcat.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=17587&catid=52)

That Jap pilot is still there! What you got against white folks? :jump::jump:
Seriously... a very useful addition to the Wildcats... :applause::applause::applause:
I'm going to "accurize" the textures and make a template... if you want to produce more...
I'll send it to you when I am done... Just add liveries...

Rami
October 20th, 2013, 06:19
Bub,

Thanks for your outstanding work, I love the tubby wonder!

bub
October 20th, 2013, 10:02
Darren,
Thanks, I appreciate it. Glad you like it.

Gaucho,
Its your pilot. I guess it just comes out that way. If you have something better, e-mail it to me. We'll try it out. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Bub

Finn
October 20th, 2013, 11:23
Wonderful panels - when will you upload them?
Finn

gaucho_59
October 20th, 2013, 18:45
Darren,
Thanks, I appreciate it. Glad you like it.

Gaucho,
Its your pilot. I guess it just comes out that way. If you have something better, e-mail it to me. We'll try it out. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Bub

Available as usual....

gaucho_59
October 20th, 2013, 19:39
Available as usual....

Can you show me how to do it?

bub
October 20th, 2013, 23:09
Gaucho,

In the download you should have an Extra's folder. Inside there's a Weapons folder. Inside that there are two, a Objects_dp and a Scenedb, place the files inside into their respective Main CFS2 folders and they should work.

When can we expect that woderful looking panel of your's? It would offset this FM-2 nicely.

Any More problems, let me know and I'll try to help you out.

Bub

gaucho_59
October 21st, 2013, 05:44
Gaucho,

In the download you should have an Extra's folder. Inside there's a Weapons folder. Inside that there are two, a Objects_dp and a Scenedb, place the files inside into their respective Main CFS2 folders and they should work.

When can we expect that woderful looking panel of your's? It would offset this FM-2 nicely.

Any More problems, let me know and I'll try to help you out.

Bub

So far I have only developed the artwork bmp... need to work on a decent config. file

gaucho_59
October 21st, 2013, 10:58
So far I have only developed the artwork bmp... need to work on a decent config. file

Here is my work so far on the experimental Wildcat on floats

bub
October 23rd, 2013, 12:15
Hi All,
I've been a little busy these past few days and am falling behind. I'll have the Atlantic Wildcat uploaded in a couple of days. The Depth Charges in the dp file are from Baldy and can be found here at SOH. Somehow I forgot to include that tidbit in the ReadMe.
Thanks,
Bub

kelticheart
October 24th, 2013, 00:06
Hi All,
I've been a little busy these past few days and am falling behind. I'll have the Atlantic Wildcat uploaded in a couple of days. The Depth Charges in the dp file are from Baldy and can be found here at SOH. Somehow I forgot to include that tidbit in the ReadMe.
Thanks,
Bub

Awesome, Bub! :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Thank you!

bub
October 25th, 2013, 09:24
Kelti,
My pleasure. I was told to ask you, Are all of your structures on your property, Catastrato? And, How do you like the E.M.U.?
Bub

PSULLYKEYS
October 25th, 2013, 12:03
Glad to see you still painting. I'll change out the old ones of yours I still use.:guinness:

bobhegf
October 25th, 2013, 14:12
For those that might be interested , it would be nice to have a good FM2 engine sound. You can hear and see a real FM2 built in 1943 and flown by Kermit Weeks. you get to here what it sounds like inside and out + a lot more info not only about the FM2 but the F4F-4. The FM2 was and is powered by a 1350HP Wright R 1820-56 Cyclone engine. I also found out the SBD was powered by a Wright R 1820- 60 Cyclone engine.

If you want to find about this go to your search engine and type in You Tube Kermi Cam and you will be able to find it.

gaucho_59
October 25th, 2013, 18:19
Hi All,
Thanks,
Bub

posted anywhere yet?

bub
October 26th, 2013, 11:50
Hi All,
Just uploaded the Atlantic FM-2 Wildcat "Black 9". It's from VC-13 off the USS
Tripoli, CVE-64. I found a set of blue droptanks in a old file and have included
them. They work, so if you use them, you'll have to add a separate Payload to the
dp file. This way you can have blue for the Pacific and bare metal for the Atlantic.
Or, you can leave it alone as both were used in the Pacific. As I've said, the
Depth Charges are from Baldy and can be found here.
Sully,
Good to hear from you, its been a while. Not really doing anything new, just fixing
up some old stuff and getting it back in the files.
Bob,
I went through Lawdogs sounds and found what I felt was the closest to to FM-2. It
does have a "different" sound than the F4F.
Gaucho,
As I said, I've been a little busy. As my wife used to say about dinner, "If you
keep them waiting long enough, they'll eat anything".
Thanks again and Have Fun,
Bub

bub
October 26th, 2013, 13:36
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/soh_ftp/uploads/imageuploads/379513828165996394.jpg
A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Skins - American

This repaint represents the FM-2 Wildcat "Black 9" of VC-13, flown off the USS Tripoli, CVE-64.

Just add the folder to Gramps FM-2 along with the cfg information and you're off to hunt U-Boats.

The Depth Charges were created by Baldly and can be found at SOH. I forgot to mention that in the previous download. There is a set of blue droptanks included.

Please read all the Readmes.

Thanks and have fun,

Bub

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit RM_FM-2 Wildcat Black 9.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=17600&catid=57)

Rami
October 27th, 2013, 03:36
Bub,

Thank you for all of your continued work on these skins, they are outstanding! :ernae: