PDA

View Full Version : "Ina" and "Kitten" Uploaded

bub
September 26th, 2013, 12:46
Hi All,
Here's the next project. Textures for "Kitten" and "Ina the Macon Belle". I have a little touching up to do on them before I get them uploaded. They are for the Donationware Fdg2 P-51B.
Have fun,
Bub

Captain Kurt
September 26th, 2013, 13:31
Nice work Bub

Typhoon Willy
September 26th, 2013, 15:32
Cool! Thanks Bub!

Rami
September 26th, 2013, 18:47
Bub,

This is outstanding work, thank you so very much! :wavey:

bub
September 27th, 2013, 13:28
Hi All,
Thanks gentlemen. Here's the "new" "Ina the Macon Belle" as flown by Lee Archer. I still have a little to do and I'll get them uploaded this weekend.
Thanks,
Bub

gaucho_59
September 27th, 2013, 16:42
Hi All,
Thanks gentlemen. Here's the "new" "Ina the Macon Belle" as flown by Lee Archer. I still have a little to do and I'll get them uploaded this weekend.
Thanks,
Bub

I also reworked the pilot... so it is a more realistic Negro pilot... Again, also, applying shine and weathering manually....

Need to rework the flying helmet and clothes too... the Lt bars are way too big... just noticed it...

gaucho_59
September 28th, 2013, 09:36
I also reworked the pilot... so it is a more realistic Negro pilot... Again, also, applying shine and weathering manually....

Need to rework the flying helmet and clothes too... the Lt bars are way too big... just noticed it...

here is the latest on Archer's mount...

bub
September 28th, 2013, 10:11
Hi All,
There's going to be a slight delay in getting these uploaded. I found some errors on my originals and am in the process of "fixing" them.

Gaucho,
The shine looks great but, these aircraft were delivered with the wings painted in aluminum laquer and the rivets and seams sealed to create better airflow over them. The fuselage, vertical fin and horizontal stabilizers were in natural metal finish along with the ailerons and flaps. Also, these planes sat outside and were subject to the elements. Paint fading in the sun along with oxidation of the aluminum tended to "dull" them. So, factory finish would be "shiny", in the field would tend to be "dull". I'm not being critical, just making an observation. Keep up the good work.

Thanks,
Bub

gaucho_59
September 29th, 2013, 11:04
Hi All,
There's going to be a slight delay in getting these uploaded. I found some errors on my originals and am in the process of "fixing" them.

Gaucho,
The shine looks great but, these aircraft were delivered with the wings painted in aluminum laquer and the rivets and seams sealed to create better airflow over them. The fuselage, vertical fin and horizontal stabilizers were in natural metal finish along with the ailerons and flaps. Also, these planes sat outside and were subject to the elements. Paint fading in the sun along with oxidation of the aluminum tended to "dull" them. So, factory finish would be "shiny", in the field would tend to be "dull". I'm not being critical, just making an observation. Keep up the good work.

Thanks,
Bub

Do you by any chance know whose mount this was... and to what unit it belonged?

Captain Kurt
September 29th, 2013, 16:05
486th Fighter Squadron, 352nd Fighter Group, 1944. Lt. Edwin Heller who scored 5.5 air victories 16.5 ground

kelticheart
September 30th, 2013, 00:28
here is the latest on Archer's mount...

Hi Gaucho,

I don't know if you are using a Mustang wearing 99th F.S., 335 F.G., "A-38" code just to work on the pilot figure, or not. In any case, allow me to point out that the "blue diamonds on white" nose pattern shown in your screenshots is not correct for 99th F.S. aircrafts.

Please, refer to Jaxon's and mine joint effort, we uploaded back in 2008, you can get here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=57&id=14130

In this repaint pack quite a bit of research was carried out and Jaxon found out that 99th F.S. Mustangs wore a checkered band around their noses. Reproducing it took quite a while, due to the particular texture mapping of FDGv2's razorback P-51and the shape of the nose decoration, where the blue checkers are painted in slanted pattern, i.e. lozenges, instead of just regular insignia blue and white squares.
In the pack there's a link to a modeller decal website with a decal sheet picture specifically dedicated to A-00 "Topper III" and 99th F.S., 335th F.G. aircrafts.
Besides, in this pack I decided to use as a base the unmarked natural metal skin originally included in FDGv2's ex-donationware P-51B/C upload, which has a nicely balanced, weathered aluminum finish.

Should you wish to copy it from our 2008 pack, I have no problems and I guess neither Jaxon has, providing credits to our work are given in the usual manner.

Great job on the African American pilot figure! :applause: :applause: :applause:

Bub:

the "zoot suit" figure painted on Capt. Archer's #72 Mustang fuselage comes from a Tom & Jerry cartoon of the period. In it Tom wears a makeshift suit, conjured up with the help of mouse Jerry, to attract a female cat Tom was trying to take out on a dance date. It's a rare, beautiful 1940's T&J cartoon that I only saw on tv once, but I had the luck to record it on VHS tape.
I have the historical profile of Capt. Archer's mount on a book and I scanned the "zoot suit" figure, which shows Tom's whiskered cat face under the hat. Do you want me to e-mail you the scanned file?

Cheers!
KH :ernae:

bub
September 30th, 2013, 11:44
Kelti,
Certainly, send along the info. I need all the help I can get. I got the "zoot suit" figure from the P-51C "Ina the Macon Belle" restored and flown by Kermit Weeks. I figured that he got it right. There are a zillion photos of the aircraft on the web. Its not the first time I've been wrong on markings, and I'm sure not the last.
Thanks for "keeping an eye" on me,
Bub

kelticheart
September 30th, 2013, 23:46
Hi Gaucho,

I don't know if you are using a Mustang wearing 99th F.S., 335 F.G., "A-38" code just to work on the pilot figure, or not. In any case, allow me to point out that the "blue diamonds on white" nose pattern shown in your screenshots is not correct for 99th F.S. aircrafts......

Apparently there were no paint standards in 335th F.G.

I did a little research over at Wings Palette and the attached is what I found. So I was wrong, the only suggestion I have for Lee Archer's #A38 "Apache II" is to clear the first white diamond line (the one towards the tail) as shown in the below detail profile.

Cheers!

Devildog73
October 1st, 2013, 02:54
Very nice work, INDEED!

Just one small correction guys, Apache II was flown by 1Lieutenant Henry Perry, not Lee Archer.

1Lieutenant Lee Archer flew Ina the Macon Belle. His nose cowling was red and yellow stripes as you have them.

Kitten, down below was flown by 2Lieutenant Leon "Woodie" Spears.

gaucho_59
October 1st, 2013, 06:02
Hi Gaucho,

I don't know if you are using a Mustang wearing 99th F.S., 335 F.G., "A-38" code just to work on the pilot figure, or not. In any case, allow me to point out that the "blue diamonds on white" nose pattern shown in your screenshots is not correct for 99th F.S. aircrafts.

Please, refer to Jaxon's and mine joint effort, we uploaded back in 2008, you can get here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=57&id=14130

In this repaint pack quite a bit of research was carried out and Jaxon found out that 99th F.S. Mustangs wore a checkered band around their noses. Reproducing it took quite a while, due to the particular texture mapping of FDGv2's razorback P-51and the shape of the nose decoration, where the blue checkers are painted in slanted pattern, i.e. lozenges, instead of just regular insignia blue and white squares.
In the pack there's a link to a modeller decal website with a decal sheet picture specifically dedicated to A-00 "Topper III" and 99th F.S., 335th F.G. aircrafts.
Besides, in this pack I decided to use as a base the unmarked natural metal skin originally included in FDGv2's ex-donationware P-51B/C upload, which has a nicely balanced, weathered aluminum finish.

Should you wish to copy it from our 2008 pack, I have no problems and I guess neither Jaxon has, providing credits to our work are given in the usual manner.

Great job on the African American pilot figure! :applause: :applause: :applause:

Bub:

the "zoot suit" figure painted on Capt. Archer's #72 Mustang fuselage comes from a Tom & Jerry cartoon of the period. In it Tom wears a makeshift suit, conjured up with the help of mouse Jerry, to attract a female cat Tom was trying to take out on a dance date. It's a rare, beautiful 1940's T&J cartoon that I only saw on tv once, but I had the luck to record it on VHS tape.
I have the historical profile of Capt. Archer's mount on a book and I scanned the "zoot suit" figure, which shows Tom's whiskered cat face under the hat. Do you want me to e-mail you the scanned file?

Cheers!

Thanks a lot for that diamond band correction... but I must say... the lettering on the repaint you made available is equally incorrect... for
it is way out of scale with the fuselage... the letters and numbers are disproportionately thick... check some actual photos... lettering is much more slender
By the way... the plural of aircraft is AIRCRAFT... not "aircrafts"...:wiggle::wavey::wavey:

gaucho_59
October 1st, 2013, 09:25
Apparently there were no paint standards in 335th F.G.

I did a little research over at Wings Palette and the attached is what I found. So I was wrong, the only suggestion I have for Lee Archer's #A38 "Apache II" is to clear the first white diamond line (the one towards the tail) as shown in the below detail profile.

Cheers!

Correcting the aft white rhombi was easy enough... but the way this thing is mapped...
everything stopped until I can figure out the mapping... To wit:

I think it looks better the way it was... inaccuracy and all...
By the way... probably researching for accuracy should only be trusted to actual photographs....
obviously... artist conceptions as the one posted by Stefano... might be as useful as tits on a bull...
i.e: my repaint is a case in point... if someone saw me published somewhere... it cannot be taken
for granted the depiction is accurate.... Research on Wings Palette... probably not good unless it
is a photograph of the actual craft in question...
If anyone knows where the aft area of the nose cone or forwardmost of the fuse is mapped... save
me "searching for it..."

bub
October 1st, 2013, 11:13
Hi All,

I'm putting this on hold until all the "corrections" can be made. The research I've done will be in the final versions. Besides actual photos, which are rare, I feel the best info is to be found on the modelling sites. These guys do a lot of research to make their models correct and I will trust their judgement. Also, the producers of decals do their homework and I will use their expertise. When these two skins are done to my satisfaction, I'll upload them. After that if anyone wants to change them to suit themselves, be my guest. I'll stand by the final versions as being correct.

"Kitten" was flown by Lt. Charles E. McGee and was named after his wife, his pet name for her.

Bub

bub
October 1st, 2013, 14:13
Hi All,

Here's the last "Kitten".

Bub

kelticheart
October 2nd, 2013, 00:36
Hi All,

I'm putting this on hold until all the "corrections" can be made. The research I've done will be in the final versions. Besides actual photos, which are rare, I feel the best info is to be found on the modelling sites. These guys do a lot of research to make their models correct and I will trust their judgement. Also, the producers of decals do their homework and I will use their expertise. When these two skins are done to my satisfaction, I'll upload them. After that if anyone wants to change them to suit themselves, be my guest. I'll stand by the final versions as being correct.

"Kitten" was flown by Lt. Charles E. McGee and was named after his wife, his pet name for her.

Bub

Hi Bub,

that's exactly what Jaxon did when we set out to do a better "Topper III" repaint than what was available!

I agree, websites dedicated to specialized decal sheet for scale models are the way to go. By the same token, I would not trust aircaft model kit producers, known to have made several errors with plane markings and colours.

As to the mapping of FDGv2 razorback Mustang nose textures, Jaxon and I met the same problems you and Gaucho are facing now. It will not allow specific spinner/nose separation as seen on many Mustangs, sporting squadron colours and such around the spinner and the carb intake area.

GAUCHO: your million $ answer is: mapped to the spinner! Leave your spinner clear metal, or paint it in another colour, and you'll see what happens.

Since it's a *.mdl problem, I don't see how it can be fixed without touching up this aircraft model, thus infringing on FDGv2's copyrights. The attached, from the Tuskegee P-51B/C Hasegawa kit, shows the white-insignia blue lozengue pattern on "TopperIII" with Lee Archer's mount in the background.

Bub, beautiful job on "Kitten"!

Cheers!

P.S.: I am re-scanning Lee Archer's "hep-cat" fuselage insignia, trying to squeeze as much resolution with the smallest pixels as possible, since it's a print on an Aerospace book dedicated to the P-51 history. I'll send it out to you shortly, is your e-mail address still the same?

bub
October 2nd, 2013, 03:55
Kelti,
Thank you, I'm giving it my best shot. I'm not that concerned with the mapping around the spinner. With that wonderful prop texture, can't seem to remember who did that...........you don't notice what's behind it. I do find the modelling sites helpful. Most of them use "aftermarket" decals, so things are pretty close. Its always good to double check just to be sure. And I do realize that a lot of the markings were painted in the field, so they're not perfect. We just do the best we can with what's out there.

Yes, the email is still the same. I'm looking forward to seeing the "hep cat".

Thanks again,
Bub

ps. Maybe I'll get Kitten uploaded while I wait for "Tom".

kelticheart
October 3rd, 2013, 01:05
Kelti,
Thank you, I'm giving it my best shot. I'm not that concerned with the mapping around the spinner. With that wonderful prop texture, can't seem to remember who did that...........you don't notice what's behind it. I do find the modelling sites helpful. Most of them use "aftermarket" decals, so things are pretty close. Its always good to double check just to be sure. And I do realize that a lot of the markings were painted in the field, so they're not perfect. We just do the best we can with what's out there.

Yes, the email is still the same. I'm looking forward to seeing the "hep cat".

Thanks again,
Bub

ps. Maybe I'll get Kitten uploaded while I wait for "Tom".

As I said, model kit manufacturers cannot be trusted 100%. I just noticed the Hasegawa picture I posted yesterday does not show TopperIII trim tabs different than the rest of the red tail, while all other sources I saw show all taiplane and vertical fin trim tabs painted insignia blue.

OH NO! It's that darn' "rivet counting" ghost acting on me again.............:isadizzy: ;)

Yesterday I had no time to rescan the hep cat, a new rainstorm is expected in this area by this Saturday and I haven't finished repainting my window shutters and stashing my firewood under cover. I'll shoot for it today after I get home from work.

Cheers!

bub
October 3rd, 2013, 04:05
Kelti,
No sweat. Take your time, there's no rush. You have more important things to worry about. About "rivet counting", this may help.

The 332nd Fighter Group had distinctive red tails. Colored rudder trim tabs
were the Squadron distinctive markings as follows:
99th FS - blue
100th FS - black or red
301st FS - white
302nd FS - yellow

So, not knowing what Squadron he was in, its possible for the tail to be all red. We'll figure it all out later.

Take care and stay dry,
Bub

kelticheart
October 4th, 2013, 02:06
Kelti,
No sweat. Take your time, there's no rush. You have more important things to worry about. About "rivet counting", this may help.

The 332nd Fighter Group had distinctive red tails. Colored rudder trim tabs
were the Squadron distinctive markings as follows:
99th FS - blue
100th FS - black or red
301st FS - white
302nd FS - yellow

So, not knowing what Squadron he was in, its possible for the tail to be all red. We'll figure it all out later.

Take care and stay dry,
Bub

You got it, man! :jump:

Capt. Toppins, "Topper III" pilot, flew with 99th F.S. so his Mustang must have had trim tabs painted insignia blue. Aero Master's decal sheet picture attached below is one of the best sources I saw, so far.

This is what I got so far, but my scanner is not working right since yesterday I was unable to improve its resolution and get a better hep cat than the attached, even if it is an excellent Canon Lide35 diode scanner. I was in a rush to go out to complete my pre-winter chores, this might be the reason why.

I'll work on it over the weekend, which is already announcing itself as a cold and wet one, good only for indoor activities.

Isn't Mr. Archer below picture something? Tuskegee Airmen's history fascinated me instantly as soon as I knew about it, as they were the first all-black aviation outfit to be deployed in front-line action, they lived in a segregated army and they fought taking off from my country. :salute:

Cheers!

BTW.: I found a youTube dedicated to Tom "Zoot Cat" 1944 cartoon here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ckCq-rLPxE

gaucho_59
October 4th, 2013, 09:50
You got it, man! :jump:

Capt. Toppins, "Topper III" pilot, flew with 99th F.S. so his Mustang must have had trim tabs painted insignia blue. Aero Master's decal sheet picture attached below is one of the best sources I saw, so far.

This is what I got so far, but my scanner is not working right since yesterday I was unable to improve its resolution and get a better hep cat than the attached, even if it is an excellent Canon Lide35 diode scanner. I was in a rush to go out to complete my pre-winter chores, this might be the reason why.

I'll work on it over the weekend, which is already announcing itself as a cold and wet one, good only for indoor activities.

Isn't Mr. Archer below picture something? Tuskegee Airmen's history fascinated me instantly as soon as I knew about it, as they were the first all-black aviation outfit to be deployed in front-line action, they lived in a segregated army and they fought taking off from my country. :salute:

Cheers!

BTW.: I found a youTube dedicated to Tom "Zoot Cat" 1944 cartoon here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ckCq-rLPxE

I just used the old Alpha p-51D for this rendition of Lt. Heller's mount...
and think that it will lend itself very well to some more Tuskegee mounts... a pretty nice model
and "freeware":wiggle::wiggle::wiggle::kilroy:

bub
October 6th, 2013, 10:01
Hi All,
Here's the last one. I'll wait and see what Kelti has up his sleeve before uploading Ina and Kitten.
Bub

Henry
October 6th, 2013, 12:11
there is a 1stairman Wilson in the last nursing home firstclassairman i meant he is in better shape than igreat work thanksH

gaucho_59
October 7th, 2013, 14:33
Hi All,
Here's the last one. I'll wait and see what Kelti has up his sleeve before uploading Ina and Kitten.
Bub

Comments (constructive) welcome...:wiggle:

kelticheart
October 7th, 2013, 23:15
Comments (constructive) welcome...:wiggle:

Hi Gaucho,

the "redtail" includes the tailplane, not only the vertical fin, with all trim tabs painted yellow. The rudder trim tab is too small and needs to be lowered a little;
the "Hep cat" is painted on the left side of the fuselage only;
the anti-glare panel reaches the windshield;
the #72 id code is a tad too small.

I am assuming you are not done yet, because the wing yellow theater bands are missing and the wingtips need to be painted in the same red colour as the tail. If you look at the profile I attached above, you'll see what I mean. Other than these details, nice job!

Cheers!

gaucho_59
October 8th, 2013, 04:37
Hi Gaucho,

the "redtail" includes the tailplane, not only the vertical fin, with all trim tabs painted yellow. The rudder trim tab is too small and needs to be lowered a little;
the "Hep cat" is painted on the left side of the fuselage only;
the anti-glare panel reaches the windshield;
the #72 id code is a tad too small.

I am assuming you are not done yet, because the wing yellow theater bands are missing and the wingtips need to be painted in the same red colour as the tail. If you look at the profile I attached above, you'll see what I mean. Other than these details, nice job!

Cheers!

Like someone said... (Clifford Odetts?)... the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry...
Indeed... I looked at it a second time this morning... and discovered I had forgotten the elevator,
the yellow bands, the position of the manufacturer logo, kill marks, etc.
So I quickly remedied the situation....
I guess the best way to get a comment from you is to make a mistake... hahahaha

gaucho_59
October 8th, 2013, 04:42
Like someone said... (Clifford Odetts?)... the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry...
Indeed... I looked at it a second time this morning... and discovered I had forgotten the elevator,
the yellow bands, the position of the manufacturer logo, kill marks, etc.
So I quickly remedied the situation....
I guess the best way to get a comment from you is to make a mistake... hahahaha

I forgot the trim tabs on the elevators...
well... a man's work is never finished....
The codes are not really too small... if you get them thicker, they need to get taller and would be out of proportion with
the fuselage... I can eliminate the "hepcat zoot suiter" on the other side easily... will post the corrections in a short while...
Thanks for the pointers...

gaucho_59
October 8th, 2013, 05:17
I forgot the trim tabs on the elevators...
well... a man's work is never finished....
The codes are not really too small... if you get them thicker, they need to get taller and would be out of proportion with
the fuselage... I can eliminate the "hepcat zoot suiter" on the other side easily... will post the corrections in a short while...
Thanks for the pointers...

Here it is... for better or worse.... I don't think I can handle any more corrections...

bub
October 8th, 2013, 10:08
Hi all,

Just uploaded the two Tuskegee Airmen textures. "Ina" and "Kitten" are the final versions. Please read the included ReadMe as there are other "things" you will need.

Thanks and Have Fun,

Bub

Rami
October 8th, 2013, 12:04
Hi all,

Just uploaded the two Tuskegee Airmen textures. "Ina" and "Kitten" are the final versions. Please read the included ReadMe as there are other "things" you will need.

Thanks and Have Fun,

Bub

Bub,

Thank you for your efforts on this, we can never have enough Tuskegee skins! :salute:

bub
October 8th, 2013, 12:42
Thanks Rami, I see you combined the threads. Wasn't paying attention on that one. And, thanks Henry, good to see you're feeling better.
Bub

kelticheart
October 9th, 2013, 02:48
Here it is... for better or worse.... I don't think I can handle any more corrections...

Ehm.....Gaucho?.... :redface:

I really hate to do this.....

I mentioned above that this Mustang anti-glare panel, i.e. the top cowling area, painted either olive drab or black, must run from the front end of the cowling all the way up to the cockpit windshield.

I am telling you this because I, too, used the very nice unmarked, natural metal skin included in FDGv2's pack for my "Topper III" repaint, but, for some reason, whoever painted it did not extend the anti-glare panel up to the cockpit. In all truth, I never saw an historical picture or profile of natural metal finished Mustangs with their anti-glare panels stopping at the end of the removable part of the cowling, as in this case.

Furthermore in this specific case, being this repaint of an aircraft flown by the 302nd F.G., the anti-glare panel must be painted olive drab, vs. 99th F.G. which painted theirs flat black.

Cheers!

gaucho_59
October 9th, 2013, 11:00
Ehm.....Gaucho?.... :redface:

I really hate to do this.....

I mentioned above that this Mustang anti-glare panel, i.e. the top cowling area, painted either olive drab or black, must run from the front end of the cowling all the way up to the cockpit windshield.

I am telling you this because I, too, used the very nice unmarked, natural metal skin included in FDGv2's pack for my "Topper III" repaint, but, for some reason, whoever painted it did not extend the anti-glare panel up to the cockpit. In all truth, I never saw an historical picture or profile of natural metal finished Mustangs with their anti-glare panels stopping at the end of the removable part of the cowling, as in this case.

Furthermore in this specific case, being this repaint of an aircraft flown by the 302nd F.G., the anti-glare panel must be painted olive drab, vs. 99th F.G. which painted theirs flat black.

Cheers!

Hope this finally gets it right... :salute::icon_lol::isadizzy:

kelticheart
October 10th, 2013, 01:14
Hope this finally gets it right... :salute::icon_lol::isadizzy:

YOU DID IT, MAN! :jump: :jump: :jump:

Cheers!

fde_bressy
October 10th, 2013, 07:35
I' sorry to ask the question after so much work done, but how is it that these aircrafts carry no serial numbers?
François

gaucho_59
October 10th, 2013, 10:25
I' sorry to ask the question after so much work done, but how is it that these aircrafts carry no serial numbers?
François

I cannot tell you the reason why... obviously they sported serial numbers with the factory delivery fresh paint...
I would venture to say that when they repainted them in Italy... the red tail livery covered them...
Keltie here is quite an expert and probably has the right answer...François
Je ne sais pas la raison... que peux je dire... je suis absolutement comme on dit an Anglais... non-plus

Devildog73
October 11th, 2013, 00:05
I'll bet those end up in my Tuskegee Airmen Campaigns..........Thanks for the absolutely great work!:icon29::guinness:

gaucho_59
October 11th, 2013, 08:20
YOU DID IT, MAN! :jump: :jump: :jump:

Cheers!

Working on Creamer's Dream...
How's it coming... I know there is a mistake somewhere...:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

bub
October 11th, 2013, 12:36
Thanks Devildog, appreciate it.

Semper Fi,

Bub

kelticheart
October 15th, 2013, 02:30
François

Hi François!

In spite of Gaucho's faith in me, quite undeserved if you ask me, I do not know of a specific reason why all of "Tuskegee" aircraft did not carry serial # on their tails, as it was standard practice on the rest of U.S.A.A.F. aircrafts of the day.

I too, as Gaucho offered, think that when they were delivered to their squadrons they had their vertical fin serials like any other U.S.A.A.F. aircraft, later on overpainted by the distinctive "redtail" mark sported by 335th F.G. aircrafts.
All of the pictures/profiles I saw of Tuskegee's mounts had their tails painted solid red, with no serial# showing.

I remember reading that WWII squadron commanders had the final say about how aircrafts under their command had to carry their squadron colours, tolerating to various degrees individual "nose art" to boost their troop's morale. Therefore, Tuskegee commanding officers must have ordered, or allowed, their Mustang/Thunderbolt tails painted solid red.

Cheers!

Devildog73
October 16th, 2013, 08:51
I believe if you look closely under the rear horizontal stabilizer on the fuselage, both sides, you will find serial #s, though very small.

Also, the red paint has a rather interesting beginning. They needed to make the aircraft distinctive to the 332nd and the only paint that the ground crews could get was bright red. That was abundant because nobody else wanted it. So, according to my book, the mechanic's crew chief painted just the vertical rudder stabilizer red one night. The next morning the pilots saw it and liked it. Benjamin O. Davis liked it and told the chief mechanic to "Paint the whole damn tail red, bright red."

He wanted everyone to see them and know who it was that was flying escort.

gaucho_59
October 16th, 2013, 15:58
I believe if you look closely under the rear horizontal stabilizer on the fuselage, both sides, you will find serial #s, though very small.

Also, the red paint has a rather interesting beginning. They needed to make the aircraft distinctive to the 332nd and the only paint that the ground crews could get was bright red. That was abundant because nobody else wanted it. So, according to my book, the mechanic's crew chief painted just the vertical rudder stabilizer red one night. The next morning the pilots saw it and liked it. Benjamin O. Davis liked it and told the chief mechanic to "Paint the whole damn tail red, bright red."

He wanted everyone to see them and know who it was that was flying escort.

In all photos from the era and illustrations thereof... there does not seem to be any one with this "alleged" small serial under the tail plane...
However, in the adjunct photograph... which... by the way... is a replica paint job done in the last few years... there is such a number...
NOTWITHSTANDING... I must submit that the number in question is NOT a replica number.. but rather, the civil registration for an experimental
aircraft... NX...etc. All civil registrations start with N... and, sometimes, when the aircraft is registered as an EXPERIMENTAL.. the X follows..
Original factory painted serial numbers ... (then) were the production number preceded by the year of delivery...or acceptance... i.e.: 42 + the last four, five or six digits of the factory production number...
Nowadays USAF nomenclature adheres to different canons and I don't think the year number is used anymore... just the last 4 or so digits below AF

kelticheart
October 16th, 2013, 23:57
In all photos from the era and illustrations thereof... there does not seem to be any one with this "alleged" small serial under the tail plane...
However, in the adjunct photograph... which... by the way... is a replica paint job done in the last few years... there is such a number...
NOTWITHSTANDING... I must submit that the number in question is NOT a replica number.. but rather, the civil registration for an experimental
aircraft... NX...etc. All civil registrations start with N... and, sometimes, when the aircraft is registered as an EXPERIMENTAL.. the X follows..
Original factory painted serial numbers ... (then) were the production number preceded by the year of delivery...or acceptance... i.e.: 42 + the last four, five or six digits of the factory production number...
Nowadays USAF nomenclature adheres to different canons and I don't think the year number is used anymore... just the last 4 or so digits below AF

Thank you for the info, Gaucho!

As you correctly pointed out, the registration shown above is for a civilian aircraft.

Confederate Air Force back in the 1960's started placing civil registration numbers under their restored warbirds tailplanes. Following their lead since then, restored warbirds are "de rigueur" repainted depicting a real life counterpart which flew during WWII. The only place where civil registration could be displayed in compliance with the rules, without interferring too much with the rest of the restored livery, is under the tailplane.

However, this doesn't reflect WWII situation, more specifically Tuskegee Airmen's redtailed aircrafts, where military registrations were not moved under the tailplane.

They were not the only ones. The 318th F.S., 325th F.G., 306th F.W., 15th U.S.A.A.F., better known as the "Checkertail Clan", comes readily to my mind. They were another Med theatre famous U.S.A.A.F. squadron flying Mustangs as well, and they overpainted their aircraft registrations entirely with their distinctive, black-yellow, slanted pattern checkers.
Also, Med-operating 15th U.S.A.A.F., 31st F.G. painted red stripes over their Mustang tails, but the registration could still be seen in between the stripes.

Both shown below, courtesy of Wings Palette.

Cheers!

kelticheart
October 17th, 2013, 01:07
....with no vertical fin reg #! From all fronts: ETO, MTO and PTO.

Again, courtesy of Wings Palette.

Cheers!

gaucho_59
October 17th, 2013, 04:27
Thank you for the info, Gaucho!

As you correctly pointed out, the registration shown above is for a civilian aircraft.

Confederate Air Force back in the 1960's started placing civil registration numbers under their restored warbirds tailplanes. Following their lead since then, restored warbirds are "de rigueur" repainted depicting a real life counterpart which flew during WWII. The only place where civil registration could be displayed in compliance with the rules, without interferring too much with the rest of the restored livery, is under the tailplane.

However, this doesn't reflect WWII situation, more specifically Tuskegee Airmen's redtailed aircrafts, where military registrations were not moved under the tailplane.

They were not the only ones. The 318th F.S., 325th F.G., 306th F.W., 15th U.S.A.A.F., better known as the "Checkertail Clan", comes readily to my mind. They were another Med theatre famous U.S.A.A.F. squadron flying Mustangs as well, and they overpainted their aircraft registrations entirely with their distinctive, black-yellow, slanted pattern checkers.
Also, Med-operating 15th U.S.A.A.F., 31st F.G. painted red stripes over their Mustang tails, but the registration could still be seen in between the stripes.

Both shown below, courtesy of Wings Palette.

Cheers!

Your English is really very good Keltie... Notwithstanding this [and just to help you get to that near 100% command of the language] the idiomatic expression is not "comes to my mind" but, rather, comes to mind
and grammatically... it should be [I]entirely overpainted their etc.[I] rather than "overpainted their etc. entirely"...
Italian syntax is different... probably more cumbersome and convoluted... in English, usage determines brevity and logic... i.e.: Never "la macchina con dentro cinque uomini si diede alla fuga"... rather... "the five men fled the scene by car...etc"
In other words... the car cannot flee... the men did...
Hope the correction is taken in the same spirit as I take yours... a help rather than a hinder!

se vedemo... (or should I say... ci vediamo...hahahaha)

kelticheart
October 18th, 2013, 00:04
Your English is really very good Keltie... Notwithstanding this [and just to help you get to that near 100% command of the language] the idiomatic expression is not "comes to my mind" but, rather, comes to mind
and grammatically... it should be [I]entirely overpainted their etc.[I] rather than "overpainted their etc. entirely"...
Italian syntax is different... probably more cumbersome and convoluted... in English, usage determines brevity and logic... i.e.: Never "la macchina con dentro cinque uomini si diede alla fuga"... rather... "the five men fled the scene by car...etc"
In other words... the car cannot flee... the men did...
Hope the correction is taken in the same spirit as I take yours... a help rather than a hinder!

se vedemo... (or should I say... ci vediamo...hahahaha)

Thanks, Gaucho!

I truly appreciate it. There's no limit to perfecting one's language knowledge. It only bugs me that I did not place that silly "entirely" adverb exactly where you placed it, because somehow it sounded too Italian-influenced to me.......
In the years I spent in the US I always heard adverbs placed at the end of a sentence, or, at least, I seem to remember it as such.

Back to the topic: did the fine arts muse strike you with some inspiration for new repaints from the profiles I found? See ya, dude!...... ;)

Cheers!

gaucho_59
October 18th, 2013, 12:45
Thanks, Gaucho!

I truly appreciate it. There's no limit to perfecting one's language knowledge. It only bugs me that I did not place that silly "entirely" adverb exactly where you placed it, because somehow it sounded too Italian-influenced to me.......
In the years I spent in the US I always heard adverbs placed at the end of a sentence, or, at least, I seem to remember it as such.

Back to the topic: did the fine arts muse strike you with some inspiration for new repaints from the profiles I found? See ya, dude!...... ;)

Cheers!

I am working on both some profiles and their skin versions... mostly D models... always Red Tails...

gaucho_59
October 18th, 2013, 13:00
I am working on both some profiles and their skin versions... mostly D models... always Red Tails...

The syntax of both adverbs and adjectives... is pretty much the same... as their function is that of modifiers... they should be placed as close
as possible to the object or action they modify... so as to avoid confusion.... Italian is far more permissive in a way...
Furthermore, SAE (Standard American English) prefers, for example, the use of short concatenated sentences rather than "paragraph-length"
sentences... basically... a subject-verb-object structure... with modifiers close to each.... adverbs close to verbs.. adjectives close to subjects
or objects... the idea being that the longer the distance... the more possibilities for subject-verb agreement errors, etc.
Very often... folks list a number of things... and make the verb agree with the last item.... (singular) when it should be plural.. and so on...
I taught Effective Army Writing and English as a Second Language.. for the Army after I retired as I also had a Master's Degree in Education... (Got away from Medicine) It was a lot of fun...
Went all over.. Turkey, Egypt, Greece, Germany and all over Veneto at NATO bases... (and MFO - Multinational Force & Observers in the Sinai
Desert) There, I had the fortune of working with the Italian Navy minesweepers that patrolled the Strait at Sharm-El-Sheik... lots of fun, and
"mangiate di pesce al mollo" with lots of wine and Parmigiano Reggiano... Some of the best days in my life...