PDA

View Full Version : BLAKE

ThinkingManNeil
October 5th, 2013, 20:07
First saw this film when I was still in public school as a kid. It's stayed with me ever since...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEsoEOiPzV8

To this day I'm still trying to identify the aircraft. It's obviously a homebuilt experimental, and I was thinking along the lines of a Gere Sport or EAA Biplane, but neither seem quite right for it. The engine's got to be small, perhaps a Continental C-85 but nothing bigger than a Lycoming O-200. Interestingly towards the end of the film you can see some printing aft of the cockpit as Blake is lifting the young boy into the cockpit, and the text seems to indicate that the aircraft is classified as an ultralight, which is an interesting designation for it considering the film was released in 1969, which is some years before the ultralight movement really took hold in aviation.

Anyone want to hazard a guess?

N.

Rubberlegs
October 6th, 2013, 06:35
Good day T.M.N.
...............had a look and thought she might be a Smith Miniplane but did a check under 'Blake James (the Pilot) and seems he owned a
one-off 1960 built Macgregor MG-1. Says it used the A+C65 engine. Does that help?
At the moment having trouble getting NFB download of the short movie "Blake" as haven't watched it all the way through. Says the film won several awards etc.

Fly High..Punch Holes in the Sky !
Walt

Bushpounder
October 6th, 2013, 06:50
My flight instructor and I almost bought one of these back in the 70's. It was only $3500.00 back then (used). :(

BP;)