PDA

View Full Version : VFR Generation-X Installation Problem?

Bomber_12th
January 16th, 2009, 10:18
I finally got around to purchasing one of the VFR Generation-X England/Wales sceneries, and received it in the mail today. Going to install it though, I select to install into FSX, click next, and nothing happens - the screen goes away and nothing loads. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, or knows a solution to it?

My operating system is a Windows XP x64 Pro, and even trying to run the installer in compatibility mode doesn't seem to work. Any help would be great!

Edit: I tried installing it on a Windows XP 32-bit system and it worked, but I'd still like to find out how, if possible, I could get it to work on my 64-bit system, that actually has FSX.

Gizmo
January 16th, 2009, 13:09
Hi John

I had this problem myself and it took a while to track down the answer as i was a little buried on there support forums so here a c&v for you hope this helps :)

1. Copy X.dat from the root of DVD1 of the volume you wish to install to a temporary location somewhere on your hard disk.

eg. copy X.dat to C:\Temp

2. Launch a command prompt type the following :-

<table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" width="90%"><tbody><tr> <td>Code:</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="code">call "C:\Temp\X.dat" fromhd D:</td> </tr></tbody></table>

In the above example D: is the drive letter of your DVD drive that contains DVD1. If your drive is E: then replace it with...

<table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" width="90%"><tbody><tr> <td>Code:</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="code">call "C:\Temp\X.dat" fromhd E:</td> </tr></tbody></table>

Bomber_12th
January 16th, 2009, 13:35
Thank you Gizmo, that works perfectly! I tried registering with the forum at Horizon Simulation for support but have yet to be confirmed. I am installing successfully as I speak! :)

Gizmo
January 16th, 2009, 13:59
Thank you Gizmo, that works perfectly! I tried registering with the forum at Horizon Simulation for support but have yet to be confirmed. I am installing successfully as I speak! :)

Yep was pretty much the same for me but i had to wait from late friday afternoon to early monday morning for them to OK my account...i was not bested pleased ;) why that kind of info isnt in the FAQ's of the main site is beyond me,anyways glad to have helpped out :)

BTW Give http://www.shepsshed.com/autogentrees.htm a look at for limited Autogen coverage as well as link to other UK based PS autogen freeware that work with GenX

Laters
Steve

Bomber_12th
January 16th, 2009, 14:14
Thank you again Steve for the help, and I will definitely be using Shep's site to add autogen back into the scenery! I have long had the VFR England/Wales for FS9, and these autogen sceneries sure are brilliant in combination with the photo scenery.