PDA

View Full Version : IRIS A-10 pilot

skyhawka4m
September 28th, 2013, 06:42
Ok.....going to try this again here because I've yet to get a response from IRIS. Can someone tell me how to make the pilot disappear on the ground....short of photo editing. I know its possible because I have screenshots I took without a pilot. I also believe wheel chocks go into place. I know how to make the boarding ladder open.

hschuit
September 28th, 2013, 07:01
To make the pilot disappear: FSX Payload manager - set pilot weight to zero. (Quick Start Guide page 5)

To hide the pilot legs in the VC: Radar Homing And Warning System (RHAW) control panel - T button: Left click to hide the pilots legs. Right click to bring them back into view. (Quick Start Guide page 7)
The devs do write those manuals for a reason you know :wiggle:

skyhawka4m
September 28th, 2013, 07:07
I went through the manual and didn't see it....sorry. No need to be a wise ass.

WarHorse47
September 28th, 2013, 08:12
Thanks for raising the question, Skyhawk.

I recently purchased their A.D.F. and couldn't figure out how to remove the pilot from the external view. Now I know.

I couldn't remember how to remove the pilot's legs, either. I did find it in the manual on page 47 as part of the RHAW.

Memory ain't so good. Gotta remind myself to make notes, only I forgot where I put the paper and pencil. :salute:

skyhawka4m
September 28th, 2013, 09:04
Memory ain't so good. Gotta remind myself to make notes, only I forgot where I put the paper and pencil. :salute:

I'm in the same boat. :salute:

skyhawka4m
September 28th, 2013, 09:34
Always so much nicer when the developer makes it possible to remove the pilot......at least for me it is.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5330/9984748173_59b6124b9f_o.jpg

rgatkinson
September 28th, 2013, 14:00
Thank you hschuit for providing the answer to the question in a very easy to understand and useful manner. I didn't find it condescending at all. Perhaps "wise ass" is a term of endearment, I hope it is because I don't think it's polite to flame someone who provides the help you're asking for.

Taff.

skyhawka4m
September 28th, 2013, 20:35
Thank you hschuit for providing the answer to the question in a very easy to understand and useful manner. I didn't find it condescending at all. Perhaps "wise ass" is a term of endearment, I hope it is because I don't think it's polite to flame someone who provides the help you're asking for.

Taff.

There was no need for this comment......"The devs do write those manuals for a reason you know"

He knew exactly how he meant it.

falcon409
September 28th, 2013, 20:50
Always so much nicer when the developer makes it possible to remove the pilot......at least for me it is.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5330/9984748173_59b6124b9f_o.jpg

Is that a "Willow Grove" Jet?

Flyboy208
September 28th, 2013, 21:14
One of my favorite addon aircraft for FSX ... so well done! Mike :wavey:

skyhawka4m
September 28th, 2013, 21:27
Is that a "Willow Grove" Jet?

Yes sir it is, a unit that is close to my heart. My friend of mine did the artwork on the real bird.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7427/9993325914_4a6190cb6a_o.jpg

assassinezzio
September 28th, 2013, 21:42
The A-10, the beauty thatll whip your butt if you treat her wrong :icon_lol:

falcon409
September 28th, 2013, 21:46
Yes sir it is, a unit that is close to my heart. My friend of mine did the artwork on the real bird.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7427/9993325914_4a6190cb6a_o.jpg
Cool, they were at Al Jaber (Kuwait) the same time our 16's were there. Somewhere I have a picture of me standing next to one of them (had to jump out of the truck real fast, have my buddy shoot one, then I got one of him and we jumped back in the truck, lol). My friend, who is now retired, is originally from Philly. . .me from South Jersey. . .so we had to get the shots, lol.

skyhawka4m
September 28th, 2013, 21:51
My best friend was a weapons guy for the squadron. He has been there a few times himself.....and knowing him....he got shots of your aircraft...lol......I trained him well. We are both big time aviation photographers and I actually talked him into joining the guard which he is in the next couple years will hit 20. Wish I could have done the same but health prevented that.

I am toying with doing a couple more paints together for the PANG and possibly sending out to close friends and such.

ViperPilot2
September 28th, 2013, 22:38
Teeny weeny hijack...

Hear the story about the test of a B-1 Lancer dropping bombs on moving ships, as a possible deterrent against pirates? I think the 'Hog would be a much better solution than the Lancer; more firepower that's better directed, can take hits from small arms, and can stray far from the Warthog Pen if need be.

Just a thought...

skyhawka4m
September 29th, 2013, 05:08
Teeny weeny hijack...

Hear the story about the test of a B-1 Lancer dropping bombs on moving ships, as a possible deterrent against pirates? I think the 'Hog would be a much better solution than the Lancer; more firepower that's better directed, can take hits from small arms, and can stray far from the Warthog Pen if need be.

Just a thought...

Yep....saw an image of that. With the A-10 looking to be on the chopping block my guess is that's the USAF trying to justify the A-10 cut.

txnetcop
September 29th, 2013, 05:26
Every A-10 pilot I have ever spoken with says it is still one of the top battlefield weapons systems to be dealt with...sure would like to see a more realistically dirty cockpit.
Ted

Odie
September 29th, 2013, 12:14
I'm in the same boat. :salute:

Part of my problem is that there are so many great factoids to record from everyone in our respective circles. A scrap of paper here, a jot of a note here, and pretty soon it's looking like a bookkeeper's
receipt box at tax time! I need to do a mass organization of all my notes into a binder, properly cataloged so that when I decide to fly a particular aircraft, they are there. Fortunately, we have a
pretty good roster of folks that have longer memories than those of us who don't!!

Odie
September 29th, 2013, 12:17
Teeny weeny hijack...

Just a thought...

In Tom Clancy's RED STORM RISING, they used A-10's using Mavericks as anti-ship platforms. Gotta reread that soon.

skyhawka4m
September 29th, 2013, 15:15
In Tom Clancy's RED STORM RISING, they used A-10's using Mavericks as anti-ship platforms. Gotta reread that soon.

When deployed to the Gulf we used the same Mavericks on our P-3's for the exact same mission. I never thought I'd see the day as a aircrew Ordy that I would be loading Mav's on a P-3.

ZsoltB
October 15th, 2013, 21:23
I'm looking for the Iris A-10 HD paintkit!

Available???

Thank you!

Zsolt

fsafranek
October 15th, 2013, 21:43
I'm looking for the Iris A-10 HD paintkit!

Available???

Thank you!

Zsolt
Typically paintkits are available for download from where you bought the aircraft.
:ernae:

ZsoltB
October 15th, 2013, 21:51
Typically paintkits are available for download from where you bought the aircraft.
:ernae:

Yes, I know...:icon_lol:

skyhawka4m
October 16th, 2013, 15:01
I don't think IRIS made the HD kit public instead they put out a lower res copy. they did this so that those they made painting deals with had the HD kit.....I may be mistaken. I have the grey HD kit but never got the green one.

Skyhawk_310R
October 16th, 2013, 18:19

Taff.

What he said! Really, folks! When someone answers a question with accurate information about the worst that should ever be done is read the data, get from it what helps you, and reply not at all. Again, that is the worst I think should be done.

Ken

Skyhawk_310R
October 16th, 2013, 18:22
Teeny weeny hijack...

Just a thought...

Insufficient range to have them routinely going out over the open ocean. The B-1B has the legs and engine redundancy to handle it better. You need some degree of loiter to make it work. BTW: RPA's are an even better choice for such a mission.

Ken

joe bob
October 16th, 2013, 18:41
Insufficient range to have them routinely going out over the open ocean. The B-1B has the legs and engine redundancy to handle it better. You need some degree of loiter to make it work. BTW: RPA's are an even better choice for such a mission.

Ken

Plus you would have to give it a week to waddle out to the ship.

YoYo
March 2nd, 2014, 23:17
New version named Warthog Driver II is on the server/webshop.

Free for old customers. For the rest 40$ for P3D, FSX, TacPack (gold).

http://www.irissimulations.com.au/fsxp3dtp-airforce-series-warthog-driver-ii

Daube
March 3rd, 2014, 04:23
I lost track of the various releases...
I had the A-10 Platinum series for FSX, I bought it in 2012. Do I get this free update as well ?

SeanTK
March 3rd, 2014, 04:42
How does this update work for purchasers that used the FSPilotShop? As we know (and a reason I no longer use them), FSPilotShop charges money to redownload purchases and product updates. I do have my original invoice from my purchase (in 2011), so I'm wondering what my options are.

Ferry_vO
March 3rd, 2014, 04:55
How does this update work for purchasers that used the FSPilotShop? As we know (and a reason I no longer use them), FSPilotShop charges money to redownload purchases and product updates. I do have my original invoice from my purchase (in 2011), so I'm wondering what my options are.

From what I understand they have replaced the previous files with the new A-10, so you either pay the $5 to get a new download or not...

I bought mine at the old Iris shop, and I just sent them an e.mail with my old order information; hopefully I can still get the new version.

skyhawka4m
March 3rd, 2014, 05:11
Guess I'm screwed because I bought directly from IRIS also but don't have my info.........:banghead:

Sieggie
March 3rd, 2014, 05:32
I lost track of the various releases...
I had the A-10 Platinum series for FSX, I bought it in 2012. Do I get this free update as well ?

You should be able to dl the new version from whoever you bought it from. You will need to remove the previous releases and reinstall from scratch with the new version.

Dave

Naruto-kun
March 3rd, 2014, 05:33
They can find your old info if you have the name and email address you purchased under.

skyhawka4m
March 3rd, 2014, 05:45
I stand corrected....I bought from the Flightsim Store.......when will they have the updated version?

DaveWG
March 3rd, 2014, 06:08
I had an email from FlightSimStore this morning about this, so I assume they've got it ready?I got the A10 from them as well, but I'll have to wait until I get home to check if the download link in my account has been updated.

trucker17
March 3rd, 2014, 06:13
Skyhawk.
Is their a popup screen that would allow you to remove them.....?

Daube
March 3rd, 2014, 06:16
I had bought it from IRIS.
I logged on to the IRIS shop. I had forgotten my password but I could generate it again via the "forgot my password" link, using my email adress I used for ordering.
Then, in "My Account", I could find my previous purchase (made in May 2012) and all the download links were there as well.
I redownloaded the archive for the A-10. It's named iris_airforce_warthog_fsx.exe and it's approx 173 MB.
When I launched it, I got this popup, so I guess it's the correct version :D
Thanks a lot to IRIS for this free update.

skyhawka4m
March 3rd, 2014, 06:35
Ok....Flightsim Store has the updated version also. Just downloaded and played with it. sadly....it looks like the textures have some issues though. I have found numerous black sections on the nose and wings as seen below.

skyhawka4m
March 3rd, 2014, 07:07
Also...if IRIS is watching....the ANQ-28 is only hung on station 9, not the centerline, triple Mavericks are no longer carried either, just the single Maverick rail is now carried. This is a nice improvement over the last version, just think some tweaking of the weapons loadout and fixing of textures needs to be done.

skyhawka4m
March 3rd, 2014, 10:10
Ok....Flightsim Store has the updated version also. Just downloaded and played with it. sadly....it looks like the textures have some issues though. I have found numerous black sections on the nose and wings as seen below.

Is anyone else having this issue?

dvj
March 3rd, 2014, 11:36
Is anyone else having this issue?Not only those, but I can't pan the exterior or interior views with the keyboard. Ailerons non functional. So this new "update" broke my previous working just fine version. Oh well.

skyhawka4m
March 3rd, 2014, 11:51
actually...your other ones should still be ok.....this is under a new file system.

noddy
March 3rd, 2014, 13:20
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i305/noddy1966/hg.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/noddy1966/media/hg.jpg.html)

HansRoaming
March 3rd, 2014, 13:51
triple Mavericks are no longer carried either, just the single Maverick rail is now carried.

Given that the IRIS A-10 is an A-10A is the aircraft current still or are they all A-10C's now? What was the situation when the A-10A's were flying?

ST0RM
March 3rd, 2014, 14:23
All A-10Cs now.

The DM paint is still incorrect too. They don't carry a shark mouth.

Sooo, what does this II package offer?

skyhawka4m
March 3rd, 2014, 14:55
Well it offers a weapons loading panel with various weapons. Some of which are not commonly carried but, they did upgrade the ECM pod. They added a flir pod but on the wrong station. Also used F-16 style triple ejector racks instead of the common TER. All this would make for a much better plane if there weren't texturing issues. I'm hoping they will address these issues. The most obvious are the lartge black area on the port wing, a large black block on the starboard fuse just below the canopy, some smaller black squares on the port side, and I'm not sure but when looking at the cockpit from the external it almost looks like there are not textures for the cockpit sills an canopy insides.

Patiently hoping for a response from them via my contact on their site.

Hanimichal
March 3rd, 2014, 17:02
I had purchased the IRIS A-10 in 2011 from fspilotshop.com.
And in fspilotshop the file have not updated yet , also I have to pay for a new download link!!!

PHo17
March 3rd, 2014, 22:40
The only thing I've bought from FSpilotshop was CLS Piper Arrow for 0€ years ago. The shop had then a different name FlightSim Shop (and different policy?). Perhaps they'll charge now for a new download link of that free plane too? :icon_lol: I don't need any services of that shop. All I need I can get elseware.

I bought IRIS A10 Warhog from PC Aviator in 2012. Didn't find any announcement of the update there yet.

Pekka

Anneke
March 5th, 2014, 12:34
and made compatible with VRS TacPac.

ST0RM
March 31st, 2014, 14:20
Given the AN/AAQ-28 LITENING is a weapon, can you edit where it is placed by editing the TacPack.cfg file that is in every aircraft that is compatible? Or the TacPack-user.cfg file?

Just curious, as this is a gripe by the guys who fly it in the VA.

Jeff

spins_vmfa321
March 31st, 2014, 14:29
No sir, that object is part of the model, and uses a visibility condition to appear.

They'd have to modify the model in order for it to appear on another station.

Maybe they'll do that in a patch! I'm still waiting for ALQ-184. :)

skyhawka4m
March 31st, 2014, 14:42
No sir, that object is part of the model, and uses a visibility condition to appear.

They'd have to modify the model in order for it to appear on another station.

Maybe they'll do that in a patch! I'm still waiting for ALQ-184. :)

I've actually had comms with IRIS and they have said that they will not be moving the pod. I addressed it because in the real world the pod is on station 9. they said they have "early" development shots of the real thing on the centerline. Being BIG into the A-10......and having had the PA ANG A-10 until a couple years ago right outside my window......never saw this in the real world. Its a wiring issue and it was placed out there its my understanding for visibility away from the gun exausts. I personally was hoping they would move it and also update the maverick pylons to the current single rail.

Smudge
April 1st, 2014, 07:41
John's right. At this stage there are no plans to move the pod, it was placed there after wide discussions within the coding team and moving it isn't as simple as moving the object in the model. It requires massive changes to code across the entire aircraft and various systems if it gets moved to another pylon.

It was our opinion that its position, whilst it appears controversial, allowed the increased use of AGM-65s and freed up a vital station used by a number of stores.

ST0RM
April 1st, 2014, 11:34
John's right. At this stage there are no plans to move the pod, it was placed there after wide discussions within the coding team and moving it isn't as simple as moving the object in the model. It requires massive changes to code across the entire aircraft and various systems if it gets moved to another pylon.

It was our opinion that its position, whilst it appears controversial, allowed the increased use of AGM-65s and freed up a vital station used by a number of stores.

Its not controversial, it's wrong! Sadly we're seeing more releases from companies that have these mistakes and are called out, but never fixed. Who tested this? Obviously no one from an A-10 background. And to free up more space for Mavs, you could have placed it on Station 2, as it is also wired for a targeting pod on the A+ that you've modeled. That would have left Stations 3 & 9 for -65s.

See this pic of a Maryland Guard jet carrying LITENING on #2 and then a photo I took over Afghanistan of a pair of 81st FS A-10A+s, where it is on #3 with a typical CAS loadout.

http://image.geotorrents.com/images/65555611935734594709.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/Storm22/A-10AHawg55FlightOEFA-to-A22022008C.jpg

We don't pick at products to poke fun at developers. We just want them to be accurate. Is this a big deal. Not really, but to say sorry "its too much work" tells me that you care more about selling products as fast as possible in order to make a buck, rather than keep long term customers. This should have been caught sooner and would have saved you some time having to model the TERs and triple LAU rails.

-Jeff

spins_vmfa321
April 1st, 2014, 12:48
Its not controversial, it's wrong! Sadly we're seeing more releases from companies that have these mistakes and are called out, but never fixed. Who tested this? Obviously no one from an A-10 background. And to free up more space for Mavs, you could have placed it on Station 2, as it is also wired for a targeting pod on the A+ that you've modeled. That would have left Stations 3 & 9 for -65s.

See this pic of a Maryland Guard jet carrying LITENING on #2 and then a photo I took over Afghanistan of a pair of 81st FS A-10A+s, where it is on #3 with a typical CAS loadout.

http://image.geotorrents.com/images/65555611935734594709.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/Storm22/A-10AHawg55FlightOEFA-to-A22022008C.jpg

We don't pick at products to poke fun at developers. We just want them to be accurate. Is this a big deal. Not really, but to say sorry "its too much work" tells me that you care more about selling products as fast as possible in order to make a buck, rather than keep long term customers. This should have been caught sooner and would have saved you some time having to model the TERs and triple LAU rails.

-Jeff

Heya Jeff,
I'm going to defend Iris a bit here, and it's going to involve just a little inside baseball. But first, I want to make clear that I have no affiliation with Iris, but as a developer, I can understand predicaments one may encounter when trying to provide as much realism and flexibility to the end customer.

So, first, Tacpack is a bit of a pain to develop for (at absolutely no fault of VRS). It gives you tons of features and potential, but it has limitations. One has to do with how the masking works for displaying windowed scenes from the perspective of a camera source. So far as I know, and I may be wrong cause I haven't had a chance to experiment with it yet, but IRIS may have already... you can only have one windowed camera position that can work with Tackpack which you assign through the tacpack.ini. If they were to give the option of putting the pod out on STA2 or STA3, than why not STA9 or STA10 (did I get those numbers right on the left side?).

I'm actually running into a similar dilemma with my Hornet. You should be able to put a pod on the centerline in addition to the left waist station, but I cannot add another camera position.

So... that's kinda how I see it. It's a bit trickier than you think. And also, the limitations may just be complete conjecture on my part... maybe there is a way to get it to work that I just haven't figured out yet. But, if this is the case, perhaps this explanation may shed some light on some of the hardships they may be encountering.

Jamal

ST0RM
April 1st, 2014, 14:44
Thanks Jamal,

I do understand it would take additional work. And now understanding the limited views with multiple stations. But when devs come back and basically tell people that the info they are providing isn't true because they saw a one off photo and based their project off that, tells me they didn't research very well. But they did have the time to add a fictional RAAF repaint?

In the end, I welcome the new addition to use with TacPack, but just don't like it when they say its too much work to change it, when it should have been caught by their QA.

Good hearing from you. Looking forward to your future work.

-Jeff

Smudge
April 1st, 2014, 18:03
Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your feedback, should we decide to make a update to the A-10 in the future, we will seriously consider altering the position of the pod as requested. At this stage though, the volume of code to re-write makes it impractical for something which was essentially a free update.

Our new Open Beta programs are in place so those with real world experience can in fact provide feedback to create a better product, we've seen this with both the PC-21 and more recently the new Raptor Driver. In addition, I have on many occasions invited those with real world knowledge of a particular aircraft in development to join the development team, though it does rely on people with knowledge to come forward and approach us during development. :)

I apologise if you feel that we inferred that the information you had stated was untrue, that was not the case. Whilst it may not the 'standard' station for the A-10 as picked up by our QA team during development, based of photographic evidence we had to hand, we chose to place the pod on the center station.

The Australian repaint was added by myself on request from a number of Australian customers. :)

Whilst our A-10 may not be a 100% faithful replication of the aircraft, based on feedback from our customers we feel it's no less enjoyable to fly, even with the pod on a different station.

Regards

David

ST0RM
April 1st, 2014, 19:40
David,

No worries. I'll continue to support IRIS's products. I appreciate the replies and open communication. And I do understand the length of work to redo it.

And I'll keep an ear out for the next time you need testers for a future project. Sadly that doesn't get too much spread.

Cheers,
Jeff

Scandinavian
April 2nd, 2014, 01:16
Since we have IRIS developers on here. Is there anyway to disable the automatic radio callouts when passing 10 000 feet, switching to ARM and so forth?
The F-22 has the same, and it's just annoying I think.

Is the F-22 Driver a new product, or as the A-10 a free update to current users?
Isn't it also a C-27J update in progress in the works?

Sorry for the last off topic questions. ;)

Ferry_vO
April 2nd, 2014, 12:50
Is there a manual included with the download..?

skyhawka4m
April 2nd, 2014, 13:07
Since we have IRIS developers on here. Is there anyway to disable the automatic radio callouts when passing 10 000 feet, switching to ARM and so forth?
The F-22 has the same, and it's just annoying I think.

I believe there is......knob red4 will take care of that for you

Scandinavian
April 5th, 2014, 00:24
Thank you Skyhawka4m. It looks like I haven't read the manual well enough. Shame on me.

skyhawka4m
April 5th, 2014, 12:02
Thank you Skyhawka4m. It looks like I haven't read the manual well enough. Shame on me.

Its all good...not a problem. thankfully the A-10 is one of the best lanes I have on FPS and is flown a bunch....especially my repaint for the PA ANG....

ST0RM
May 10th, 2014, 12:19
A couple of problems I'm having. Could be me, so I wanted to ask first.

When placing a SAM site, they launch, but I get no indication on the RWR in the jet.

Secondly, I flew it last night and when I switched on the NVGs, I got only a solid green screen. It almost looked like there was no clear alpha channel. Like having a dark pea green soup visor.

Any help? Thanks!
Jeff

Chris Sykes
May 12th, 2014, 00:02
Jeff you need to turn the RWR on, heres a vid on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-3xKcmMAho

If your getting a full green screen, which i had as i used to have the NVG ENB. Removed that and NVG on Tacpack worked OK.

ST0RM
May 12th, 2014, 09:17
Thanks for the reply Chris. Pretty sure I had the RWR on and tuned, but I'll go back through and compare to ensure it wasnt operator error.

As for the NVG/EMB. Yep, I run a EMB mod. I'll be sure to pull it prior to a night go to prevent it from conflicting.

Cheers!
Jeff