PDA

View Full Version : Greased wheel textures....cool

Navy Chief
September 24th, 2013, 08:06
I just saw this posted on AVSIM. "Greased wheel" texture file for a PMDG Boeing 777. But the idea is a cool one!!!! Don't recall ever seeing this type of texture with military aircraft, but it is surely realistic.

NC

FSX68
September 24th, 2013, 08:33
I just saw this posted on AVSIM. "Greased wheel" texture file for a PMDG Boeing 777. But the idea is a cool one!!!! Don't recall ever seeing this type of texture with military aircraft, but it is surely realistic.

NC

That is cool. I like the attention to detail.

Navy Chief
September 24th, 2013, 09:13
I could be mistaken, but I think that Razbam has used similar textures on some of their jets...NC

FSX68
September 24th, 2013, 09:29
I could be mistaken, but I think that Razbam has used similar textures on some of their jets...NC

Is that wheel effect exclusive to the PMDG Tubeliner that you showed. Guess the Dev just paints it in.

Edit: I found that file. Thanks

FSX68
September 24th, 2013, 11:15
Pete,

I've "experimented" with the original wheel you showed and tried to paint on some greased wheels on a test DC3. What do you think?

Navy Chief
September 24th, 2013, 11:36
Pete,

I've "experimented" with the original wheel you showed and tried to paint on some greased wheels on a test DC3. What do you think?

I like it!

I remember checking for hot brakes on Corsair IIs when they'd taxi back from a flight....NC

FSX68
September 24th, 2013, 12:03
I like it!

I remember checking for hot brakes on Corsair IIs when they'd taxi back from a flight....NC

I can send you the file if interested by PM but remember to back up your original file.

Butch

Bushpounder
September 24th, 2013, 14:11
Working planes like the DC-3 / C47, Beech 18's, etc. usually had nasty wheels. Those radials always managed to blow / drip oil on the tires which then ran down to the wheels. They could become rather messy. I really like the textures. Adds more realism to the old gals.

Don

FSX68
September 24th, 2013, 14:13
Working planes like the DC-3 / C47, Beech 18's, etc. usually had nasty wheels. Those radials always managed to blow / drip oil on the tires which then ran down to the wheels. They could become rather messy. I really like the textures. Adds more realism to the old gals.

Don

Thanks for the kudos. I may just start another new thread and link the file that I modified to get the new wheel effects.

falcon409
September 24th, 2013, 15:37
I would think that most branches that flew Fighters would be basically the same, but our Crew Chiefs did an excellent job of maintaining a good clean airplane, even when we were deployed to places like Kuwait, Turkey, Iraq. Grease wouldn't be nearly as evident (if at all) as shown in those shots.

Flyboy208
September 24th, 2013, 16:34
I would think that most branches that flew Fighters would be basically the same, but our Crew Chiefs did an excellent job of maintaining a good clean airplane, even when we were deployed to places like Kuwait, Turkey, Iraq. Grease wouldn't be nearly as evident (if at all) as shown in those shots.

Agreed Ed, all of the Hornets I have been around had very clean wheels .... Mike :salute:

snow_white
September 26th, 2013, 09:01
my 2 cents. Never seen writing/marking on a tire in a straight line.:icon_eek:
it just look soooo wrong and anyway hardly if ever seen these tire names on Boeing in white irrespective of tire maker.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wbaiv/4332169930/lightbox/

http://weinterrupt.com/wp-content/uploads/777.jpg

FSX68
September 26th, 2013, 09:17
my 2 cents. Never seen writing/marking on a tire in a straight line.:icon_eek:
again it might be 100% correct, but it just look soooo wrong.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wbaiv/4332169930/lightbox/

http://weinterrupt.com/wp-content/uploads/777.jpg

Huh? Well, glad to hear from both sides of the aisle. And 26'' chrome wheels look so wrong too (IMHO of course)

snow_white
September 26th, 2013, 09:23
Huh? Well, glad to hear from both sides of the aisle. Thanks for playing :wavey:

Concept is great, but not realistic, just never seen tire marking in a straight line and I think I have seen a good couple in real life.
Thanks for the effort enhancing the hobby

FSX68
September 26th, 2013, 09:27
Concept is great, but not realistic, just never seen tire marking in a straight line and I think I have seen a good couple in real life.
Thanks for the effort enhancing the hobby

Thanks for the kudos. I am just experimenting with repaints and adding enhancing what's already there. :icon_lol::salute:

Navy Chief
September 26th, 2013, 09:45
Huh? Well, glad to hear from both sides of the aisle. And 26'' chrome wheels look so wrong too (IMHO of course)

I agree with your opinion on that one for sure. Almost as silly looking as a low-rider Jeep. I mean, what's the point of owning a 4WD vehicle when it is lowered to within 3 inches of the ground? Just sayin.... But I like your modifications, shipmate. NC