PDA

View Full Version : Scenery Download

Badger1
September 13th, 2013, 15:39
Hello Birds, I'm not new to sim'ing, FSX about 2 yr's. But have never attempted scenery. Till last week. I have no problem with aircraft or mission's dwn'lds. But can't get scenery dwn'lds from temp folders, (after initial dn'ld to my zip file), into my addon scenery folder. Even tho I know there is nothing there I have still attempted to do all kinds of different approachs to trying anything from, and with, the Scenery Library. I wonder if over time I have inadvertantly done something to my addon file ??

I'm running Windows Vista, 64 bit. Any thoughts to ease my TOTAL frustration.

falcon409
September 13th, 2013, 16:43
Can you explain what you mean, by "can't get scenery downloads from the temp folder into the Addon Scenery folder?"

There are many alternatives to how scenery is connected to the sim world. You can simply add the main scenery folder to the FSX/Addon Scenery folder, you can make a separate folder outside of FSX completely and use that to store your scenery folders, you can even take the bgl files from the scenery folder and drop those into the addon scenery/scenery folder and take the bitmaps from the texture folder and drop those into the addon scenery/texture folder.

Generally however, you take the scenery you have downloaded (it has a main folder with both a scenery and texture folder inside) you take those to the main FSX/Addon Scenery/ folder, drop them in there and then startup FSX, enter the Scenery Library, locate the folder and load it into the library (which makes the scenery active).

PHo17
September 14th, 2013, 00:13
There is plenty of advice pages of this subject on the Internet . Here is one: http://simviation.com/1/fsxscenery . More is found by googling (or duckduckgoing as I do :icon_lol:)
I have hundreds (maybe thousands) of addon sceneries in FSX. That would make the Addon scenery folder difficult to read and edit. So I have made there own directory (folder) for every country. At the beginning of every airport scenery's name I put it's ICAO code. Other sceneries don't have it. So I find the right scenery imediatelly and it's easy to find what is missing or is already there.

Pekka

MCDesigns
September 14th, 2013, 00:14
in addition to what Ed has said, I suggest keeping your scenery files outside of FSX whenever possible, it will save you alot of hassle and keep things tidy. It is smart that you use a temp folder already, good move. Create a folder called FSX Scenery or whatever to keep all your addon scenery files in. You can add scenery to the library from anywhere on your PC. When you extract to the temp folder you should have the scenery with a scenery and texture folder inside of it, this is the basic setup for any scenery folder. If it is a photo scenery, then you will not liekly have a texture folder unless there are aurogen files that go with it.

Now place the scenery from your temp folder to the folder you made to hold all your scenery. Start FSX, go to the scenery library, hit add area, and scroll to the scenery. click once on the scenery and hit ok, this should add the scenery to the list. Hit ok again and this should compile your scenery in FSX and you should be good to go.