PDA

View Full Version : New pc

Roger
September 4th, 2013, 11:51
Finally ordered my new pc from SCAN at Bolton. Went up to talk it through with one of their engineers and finally placed an order. Should have it in 7-10 days. I'll post the full spec later. I've been waiting to do this for 2 years and with a few days off work decided to get my finger out and do it. They overclock the cpu to 4.4 gigaHz and the Nvidia 770 2gig ram will be factory overclocked. then.........hours and hours of FsX tweaking:mix-smi:

Dumonceau
September 4th, 2013, 12:13
Finally ordered my new pc from SCAN at Bolton. Went up to talk it through with one of their engineers and finally placed an order. Should have it in 7-10 days. I'll post the full spec later. I've been waiting to do this for 2 years and with a few days off work decided to get my finger out and do it. They overclock the cpu to 4.4 gigaHz and the Nvidia 770 2gig ram will be factory overclocked. then.........hours and hours of FsX tweaking:mix-smi:

IMHO you're in for HOURS of fun!! And that is no joke!

Dying to see the full specs! :jump:

Javis
September 4th, 2013, 12:18
. then.........hours and hours of FsX tweaking:mix-smi:

I have just installed a new OS and new FSX too. I spend 5 minutes on tweaking by going here :

http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

Amazing results!

Congrats with your new system. Looks the beez' kneez ! :cool:

cheers,
jan

nio
September 4th, 2013, 12:45
Dear Roger Please could you share what cpu you went for? I an running an I-7 930 at 2.8 with an EVGA Nvidia GTX 680 factory sc with 2gb RAM I am looking to replace my cpu and I am also considering going to SSD. Another point of view is always welcome in such deliberations. Thank you in anticipation of your response. best nio

Roger
September 4th, 2013, 13:23
Here's the spec:
Z87 mobo
16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
750gb Samsung 840 evo SSD
1 tb harddrive (for ghosting and storage)
Intel core I5 4670k processor (overclocked to 4.4 gigaHz)
Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler for CPU
EVGA 770 2 gig ram factory overclocked
DGM 27" IPS-2701WPHIPS monitor
On-board audio
1 x DVD writer

nio
September 4th, 2013, 13:37
That is appreciated.

May you have many happy hours flying and not just tweaking!

Best

nio

expat
September 5th, 2013, 00:33
You and me both Roger! I just hit the order button on Monday and ordered this at Scan as well. I need to check in with their tech guys today to discuss the build and how they are going to test it, etc.

Intel Core i7 4770K, 1150, Haswell, Quad Core, 3.5Hz, 3.9GHz Turbo, 1250MHz GPU, 35x Ration, 84W – (professionally overclocked/tuned to 4.4Hz)

Corsair H80i Hydro Series Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Asus Z87-K Motherboard

650W Corsair Enthusiast (single graphics card) PSU

3GB EVGA GTX780 PCIe 6008MHZ, GDDR5, GPU 863MHZ, Cores 2304 (professionally overclocked)

8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance Pro Series Silver, PC3-17066 (2133), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-11-11-31, XMP, 1.65v

2 x 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD Read 540MB/s, Write 520MB/s

1 TB Seagate 7400rpm HDD SATA III (for storage)

LG x24 DVD+R

Windows 7 Professional 64bit

txnetcop
September 5th, 2013, 02:36
Ya done good Roger!!!
Ted

Roger
September 5th, 2013, 02:54
Cheers Ted! The machine spec you suggested 6 years ago is still going strong (I'm on it now) and runs everything well but the extra speed from the new processor should enable me to run FsX with more sliders to the right.

txnetcop
September 5th, 2013, 03:49
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i5_4670K_and_i7_4770K_Comparison/10.html

Both of these processors are AWESOME performance per $$$!

We tested these at TechCorp and we were amazed at the incredible speeds of both. Finally fast CPU technology is affordable. There are also a myriad of great inexpensive motherboards and fast ram, combined with the Samsung and OCZ SSD's WOW!

Great picks guys!
Ted

Thank you Roger! That Q6600 quad core was a real killer in it's day. I had mine OC'd to 4.2Ghz on air and it really was an awesome performer. When combined with the Nvidia GTX 260 or 285 I never had more than a couple of stutters.

Ferry_vO
September 5th, 2013, 06:39
I have just installed a new OS and new FSX too. I spend 5 minutes on tweaking by going here :

http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

Then, get the Nvidia Inspector tool, create an FsX profile, set frame rate limit to 30 (Leave 'unlimited' within FsX) and set AA setting to AA_mode_method_supervcaa_64x_4v12 and finally enable max_texture_load=4096 in the FsX.cfg.

Here is a screenie of my profile, which works great for me:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Flightsim/settings_zps7d381265.jpg~original (http://s13.photobucket.com/user/Ferror/media/Flightsim/settings_zps7d381265.jpg.html)

Roger
September 5th, 2013, 08:06
Did the "Jesus tweaks" long ago but had to modify FsX.cfg and N Inspector for Dx10. Will start with the minimum Kosta tweaks for the new pc and fine tune as required. It'll be Wednesday before I get the new box...can't wait:jump:

Javis
September 5th, 2013, 08:27
Then, get the Nvidia Inspector tool, create an FsX profile, set frame rate limit to 30 (Leave 'unlimited' within FsX) and set AA setting to AA_mode_method_supervcaa_64x_4v12 and finally enable max_texture_load=4096 in the FsX.cfg.

Thanks, Ferry.

I have been looking at this thingy earlier. I left it because i don't understand half of what all these settings exactly do. You're profile might be a good example to give it another chance although my system isn't anything as sophisticated as yours...

'max_texture_load=' ... you mean 'texture_max_load=' , right ? Is currently set to 1024 ( bojote cfg ). Wouldn't it hit severly on fps if i'd set it to 4096 ? Even with the current 1024 setting my FSX looks terrific....

But main thing i'd be interested in re Nvidia Inspector : will i get more fps out if it ??...

Btw, i use an external framerate limiter which already sets it at 30. ( however it seems to be overruled by using DX10. Does NI work with DX10 too ??.... )

Thanks,mate. :salute:

Roger
September 5th, 2013, 08:46
Thanks, Ferry.

I have been looking at this thingy earlier. I left it because i don't understand half of what all these settings exactly do. You're profile might be a good example to give it another chance although my system isn't anything as sophisticated as yours...

'max_texture_load=' ... you mean 'texture_max_load=' , right ? Is currently set to 1024 ( bojote cfg ). Wouldn't it hit severly on fps if i'd set it to 4096 ? Even with the current 1024 setting my FSX looks terrific....

But main thing i'd be interested in re Nvidia Inspector : will i get more fps out if it ??...

Btw, i use an external framerate limiter which already sets it at 30. ( however it seems to be overruled by using DX10. Does NI work with DX10 too ??.... )

Thanks,mate. :salute:

Hi Jan,
All the settings you could ever need are on the Avsim Dx10 forum http://forum.avsim.net/forum/569-dx-10-discussions-hints-and-help/

NI settings are quite different for Dx10 and regarding texture_max_load, I would say to see the smaller details like Mathias' FW 190s rivets, you will only see them with 2048.

Ferry_vO
September 5th, 2013, 08:56

With my settings I don't know if I get more fps, but I have a much more stable framerate, with very little stutters, only when flying complex aircraft with glass cockpits, or flying over big cities.
Those annoying microstutters seem a thing of the past, but when using the Fsx frame rate limiter I would definitely get those!