papab
September 3rd, 2013, 15:47
Get it here:
http://www.precisionmanuals.com/pages/product/777LRF.html

Rick

anthony31
September 3rd, 2013, 15:55
Hang on, I just have to rob a bank first. :tgun2:

$90 for the 777 while the 737 cost $70. This hobby is sure getting expensive.

JIMJAM
September 3rd, 2013, 16:10
My guess is that in 10 years a new computer will be $100 and a good payware addon will be $200.

ryanbatc
September 3rd, 2013, 17:29
The hobby is... Which I why I voted with my wallet on this one.

Ant your planes are always kindly priced thanks

MCDesigns
September 3rd, 2013, 17:49
yep, it's a good thing I have no interest whatsoever in tubeliners, LOL.
I am always amazed at how popular this type of simming really is.

ryanbatc
September 3rd, 2013, 18:05
Yeah flying the big iron is probably what the majority of FSX users (worldwide) do, if I had to guess. And I'm including all the people who bought FSX in the world...

It doesn't do much for me... can't stand watching the screens for more than 30 min or so for long flights hehe.

robert41
September 3rd, 2013, 18:50
No interest in flying jet airliners either.
But after looking on the site, "developed with input from Boeing" explains the high price.
Just curious, does this have an interactive copilot, crew?

Kiwikat
September 3rd, 2013, 19:01
I will vote with my wallet as soon as I get paid on Thursday. The NGX paid for itself many times over with how many hundreds of hours I've got on it. The 777 will be no different. This and the 172 are the new "bars" for which all addons will strive to achieve. This has been one heck of a year for FSX. I love it! :wavey:

Paul Domingue
September 3rd, 2013, 19:12
I have only one thing to say.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbtUC9oVThg

AndyE1976
September 3rd, 2013, 19:17
I like the idea of getting this, but I know that it would be another expensive add-on gathering dust in my virtual hanger.

I've yet to fully master the 737NGX, PMDG 747 or FSLabs Concorde, so maybe once I've got through those I'll dive on the 777. Looks superb, but pricey.

Ironically if I wasn't spending so much time lately sat in the back of a 777 I might actually have time to fly this thing!

fliger747
September 4th, 2013, 08:08
I was involved in the PMDG 747-400 project. I continued to use it for a number of years to prep for simulator checks. Many cohorts still use it as a training device. I expect the 777 will appeal to the same crowd, ones flying the 777 or those that may someday. Asiana could have benefited from flying a few visual/non precision SFO approaches for practice. I used to practice new and exciting airports that way, quite useful.

T

Naruto-kun
September 4th, 2013, 11:08
I find the lack of response here compared to the NGX release and that servers are crashing elsewhere intruiging...

William Njurmi
September 4th, 2013, 11:29
This place has been a peaceful haven when talking about the publication of this addon. Glad its finally out, so we can excpect something really interesting.

Barfly
September 4th, 2013, 13:34
The PMDG T7 has a striking interior; very sharp textures, with beautiful variation in color and contrast. Great exterior detail. Top notch interactivity with easy to mouse-manipulate switches and dials as usual. Systems certainly are thoroughly rendered, though I haven't read any of the manuals. FMS is very similar to NGX, with some variation in automation that will probably require digging into some manuals. Hand flies very nice, great sounds, but a bit hard on my system, so some scenery has been disabled - photoreal stuff.

I had no intention on buying it except out of curiosity, but it really is obviously their best work, a notch up, beautiful to behold and fly. Long distance hauling always ends up with some kind of sim error for me, so some tweaking is in order. I don't think it will work well if you must run lots of addons, such as a combination of hi res clouds, ground textures, and fancy airports all together. I hate to do a bunch of tweaking for one aircraft, so that may end up limiting it's use.

Lionheart
September 6th, 2013, 10:06
I wish it worked with P3D.

:(

Naruto-kun
September 6th, 2013, 11:30
I find the cockpit lighting (based on screenshots since i dont have it) to be a step down from the NGX...unless thats because of users playing with the color mod options in the FMC.

pilottj
September 7th, 2013, 20:27
Hey guys,
Here is a '777-BBJC'....almost as good as a flying winnebago:icon_lol:
I was playing around with the idea of creating the 'ultimate' BBJ. Turning the 777 into a fictional 'Combi', then adding BBJ styling to it...inspired from the 737-BBJC idea which is a BBJized version of the 737-700C Combi.

Still a WIP, I might add some more detailing or artwork...I did get my Hitchhiker's guide reference on the tail :) I think this bird has enough room to haul you, your spouse, your pet gold fish, with room for a moped in the back all around the world LOL I saved the Combi door PSD template if anyone wants to do a Combi, i'll send it to you.

Cheers
TJ

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/09/07/lUOm.jpg
http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/09/07/QOAam.jpg
http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/09/07/ziNjS.jpg
http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/09/07/zBMqo.jpg

Flyboy208
September 7th, 2013, 21:33
From PMDG, it is probably a superb product .... that being said .... interesting how some addons , airplanes, scenery, etc. cost more than the FSX software itself ... Mike :isadizzy:

JohnC
September 8th, 2013, 07:03
Rough estimate's from 2008 give a total of 280,000 copies of FSX. I think most dev's would crap their pants if they reached 1/100 of that. With hat said, I own every PMDG released to date and am still having a hard time swallowing the $90 price tag. Maybe they aimed a little far to the right on the cost/sales curve. From a personal (developer's) perspective I would rather err to the left and have more people enjoying the creation. Splendid work though and certainly a standard setter.

JIMJAM
September 8th, 2013, 07:29
Plz not another Fsx cost more than the addon post.I am not saying inflation has much to do with cost of addons but this is fun and just as ot.

Here is something to play with.
http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Play around with this if you really want to make yourself see money being drained of its value. Try typing in what recently paid for something,say a car,house, or just a dollar amount and then go back to the year you graduated high school and see what it would have cost then:icon_eek:

Kiwikat
September 8th, 2013, 08:06
Given the amount of time, people, and code that were put into this product, the cost is more than justified. We're getting quite the deal, actually. Remember that PMDG is a full-time developer with several full-time employees. They need to make a fair amount of money to support such a large development team.

Their addons are the most complex out there. As long as you put the time into learning them, you more than get what you pay for. PMDG could release any plane and I'd buy it instantly, without hesitation. A2A might be the only other developer I can say that about.

This 777 is a game-changer like the NGX was. Without spending multiple millions of dollars for a commercial simulator or multiple hundreds of millions for the real plane, I don't think it is possible to get any closer to the experience of flying a heavy. $90 seems cheap. :medals:

n4gix
September 8th, 2013, 08:15
Here is something to play with.
http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/
Okay, now that is interesting!
$10.00 in 1949 (birth year)
$14.03 in 1967 (18th year)
$98.15 in 2013 (~65th year)

MHAircraft
September 8th, 2013, 08:51
At first I also found it odd that many quality add-ons cost more than MSFS itself. However, it's economy of scale at work. Someone mentioned earlier that FSX sold 280K copies. If each and every FSX user would buy PMDG 777, perhaps it may be priced at $9.00 and still make a tidy profit. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen.

JohnC
September 8th, 2013, 09:57
Given the amount of time, people, and code that were put into this product, the cost is more than justified. We're getting quite the deal, actually. Remember that PMDG is a full-time developer with several full-time employees. They need to make a fair amount of money to support such a large development team.

My comment was less aimed at the justification of the price and more at the sales theory behind it. A lower price will generate greater sales (within the means of a market) and higher one will generate less. Somewhere along that curve is a peak revenue. Too far to the left (cost too low), and you've oversold/underearned; too far to the right (cost too high) you've undersold/underearned. Releases of past products can be used to add points from which the curve can be empirically constructed and a little calculus will generate a solid estimate. Otherwise there has to be an educated guess. Given the small number of products in the PMDG price range and the large timescale over which they are released (and the corresponding change in market size), I was simply noting that the overall response in this forum indicates the drop-off might mean they've drifted right of the peak with the recent release.

However, if you're wanting to create a plug for the product I would suggest fewer bold assertions and more showing off. This thread is very sparse on pictures.

Kiwikat
September 8th, 2013, 14:39
I was simply noting that the overall response in this forum indicates the drop-off might mean they've drifted right of the peak with the recent release.

However, if you're wanting to create a plug for the product I would suggest fewer bold assertions and more showing off. This thread is very sparse on pictures.

SOH has never been big on airliners. It is wildly popular at other forums.

Unlike it's competitor who's only strength is the graphics, the main point of the PMDG plane is the systems. It is hard to take screenshots of intangible things. As with the NGX, the sound set is one of the best there is. It will take me months to get completely comfortable with the fly by wire. It has a completely different feel than the NGX.

JohnC
September 8th, 2013, 15:03
It is hard to take screenshots of intangible things. As with the NGX, the sound set is one of the best there is. It will take me months to get completely comfortable with the fly by wire. It has a completely different feel than the NGX.

Very true, but it does help with the setting. Take a nice screenie of the cockpit at TO and describe how you can hear each stage of the engine whine as you push the throttle forward (aren't there something like 10 compared to the standard 4?). You say the feel is different, but how? Does it feel light and responsive for such heavy aircraft; does it transition from pilot input to FBW orientation hold in a seamless and natural way? Describe those items (or others) with a couple of well crafted shots and pretty soon you'll put the audience into the sim.

Jigsaw
September 8th, 2013, 15:40
I find the lack of response here compared to the NGX release and that servers are crashing elsewhere intruiging...

While I'm not too much into tubeliners and prefer low&slow flying (the A2A C172 really hit the spot), I was really excited for the 737NGX a couple of years ago (has it really been that long already?) and purchased it right on release day. I had, and continue to have, lots of fun with it. It's an excellent add-on and well worth its money.

However, after seeing the 777 video made by Nick Collet and hearing about the price I was sure that I will not get that aircraft for a long while, if ever. Due to Boeing's standarization it's just too similar to the 737 to justify that kind of expenditure and I'm certainly not a long haul kind of guy. I'm sure it's excellent, but it's too expensive and simply not for me. I rather stick to short hops with the 737.

I'll be back as a PMDG customer when they release their DC-6, if that bird is still in the cards that is.

TuFun
September 8th, 2013, 15:58
I'll be back as a PMDG customer when they release their DC-6, if that bird is still in the cards that is.

That would be the only PMDG aircraft I would buy! Just because I'm into radials!!! ;)

Kiwikat
September 8th, 2013, 17:31
Due to Boeing's standarization it's just too similar to the 737 to justify that kind of expenditure and I'm certainly not a long haul kind of guy. I'm sure it's excellent, but it's too expensive and simply not for me. I rather stick to short hops with the 737.

I can tell you it is nothing like the 737 at all. That seems to be a big mistake people are making when flying the 777. Parked next to each other, the 777 absolutely dwarfs the NG. It is quite surprising how big it is. The T7's fly-by-wire gives it a completely different "feel" when hand flying. It feels like a 600,000 pound fighter jet in a lot of ways. The amount of power you have at your fingertips is insane. PMDG does an awesome job of making you feel that power via the flight model and soundset. She's an absolute rocket when you don't have long-haul fuel loaded. 220,000 lbs of thrust is just a hoot. :icon30:

Really about the only similarities is that they both have two engines, a wing, and a somewhat similar FMC unit.

I definitely understand not liking long hauls though. I'm really using it as more of a 757 or 767. Not really accurate, but then I don't have 8+ hours to do a simulated flight.

n4gix
September 9th, 2013, 06:21
Parked next to each other, the 777 absolutely dwarfs the NG.

There was a screenshot posted yesterday at AVSIM demonstrating that the 737 NGX fuselage will fit inside the port engine of the T7. "Dwarfs" is a very appropriate adjective to use... :icon_lol:

As far as total sales of FSX are concerned, over the years since release it has to have surpassed several million legal copies. Lord alone knows how many (*cough*) "less expensive versions" have been downloaded and are being used...

It's also important to note that FSX continues to be sold via brick and mortar stores as well as MS's own online store.

fliger747
September 9th, 2013, 08:58
Given the costs of even taking a coffee break at MS, there would have to be millions of copies out there to break even. The new 747-8 that I fly has partial fly by wire, ailerons and some weird stuff on approach called flare assist. It does feel somewhat different, smoother and somewhat less feedback. Both the 737 and the 747 fly a lot alike, just the bigger plane needs more time and space. They should be flow smoothly, but are capable of rather amazing roll rates in either experienced or ham fisted hands. I have seen new pilots comment "boy is it turbulent today" when it was actually pilot induced through strong over control.

You don't fly these by feel so much as by instruments.

T

pilottj
September 10th, 2013, 19:44
Stratotrekker has been submitted for upload to here and Avsim.

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/09/10/cIMhX.th.jpg (http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/09/10/cIMhX.jpg)
http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/09/10/oTkd4.th.jpg (http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/09/10/oTkd4.jpg)