PDA

View Full Version : "so you want to be a wildland firefighter?"

Daveroo
September 1st, 2013, 13:55
well its the name of the video,and i grew up wanting to do it,,i joined a volunteer city department,but ended up working seasonal with calfire in a pearly program we setup as a "city crewed Hotshot team",cept we used a brush rig,structure rig and a water tender when we went as a "responce team"...Type 1,Type 3,and WT (which is a Kenworth 6x6,6000 gallons i think,i rarelt had anything to do with it),,,this video gets me as towards the end they show a handcrew just standing in a meadow watching ( not unusual),then they back out in a hurry and at 7:51,they show theyve lost the structure that was to thier left....why they werent building line infront of the structure is beyond me...they had plenty of time and opertunity to try to make a stand infront of it..but they didnt...and then the melted tents at the end cracks me up...ive had that happen to me three times over the years....i gave up and would sleep on the small hosebed on the top of the type 3,which was nothing more than piles of one inch single jacket cotton hoseline....if it burns up..no biggie...we would just go back to fire camp after a hose lay and restock...leave what we laid for the CDC concrews to pick up..or the fire to burn if it got to that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0AsF5XbE9k