PDA

View Full Version : Carrier question?

grover1
August 30th, 2013, 10:40
Hi all,

I'm having trouble launching Dino Cattaneo's wonderful T-45 Goshawk off of the AI Carriers.

When I go to fire the take-off assist, as soon as the plane hits the end of the carrier, I get an "object collision" crash.

Is there a fix for this? The F-35, and F-14 work fantastic for NATOPS.

Also, does anyone know of a group that I can join to learn proper procedures for NATOPS?

I'll be purchasing the VRS F-18E Superbug and the Tack Pack in the very near future just for carrier ops.

Thanks,

Chris

Dangerousdave26
August 30th, 2013, 12:21
Hummm

Which carrier are you launching from?

Daube
August 30th, 2013, 12:53
Hi all,

I'm having trouble launching Dino Cattaneo's wonderful T-45 Goshawk off of the AI Carriers.

When I go to fire the take-off assist, as soon as the plane hits the end of the carrier, I get an "object collision" crash.

Is there a fix for this? The F-35, and F-14 work fantastic for NATOPS.

Also, does anyone know of a group that I can join to learn proper procedures for NATOPS?

I'll be purchasing the VRS F-18E Superbug and the Tack Pack in the very near future just for carrier ops.

Thanks,

Chris

Just disable the crash detection in your realism settings in FSX.
The FSX crash detection is absolutely terrible, and almost nobody uses it.

SkippyBing
August 30th, 2013, 13:01
Just disable the crash detection in your realism settings in FSX.
The FSX crash detection is absolutely terrible, and almost nobody uses it.

I'd dispute that, I always use crash detection and it seems to work fine. It also doesn't really answer the question if he's only having problems with one aircraft.

I'd also ask which carrier as although I've had no problems with Dino's T-45 I have found while building the things you can get some odd crash boxes appearing where you don't want them if there's a rogue bit of mesh lying around. You'd think that would affect all aircraft equally but they don't all come of the end of the cat the same.

It also may be worth checking the trim settings as that may be over or under rotating the plane and causing a crash.

grover1
August 30th, 2013, 13:48
I'm using the carriers done by Javier Fernandez and the default FSX Acceleration carrier missions.

heywooood
August 30th, 2013, 14:45
I'm using the carriers done by Javier Fernandez and the default FSX Acceleration carrier missions.

do you have the latest version of the T-45?

you might go to his site and check the version number against the one in the T-45 .cfg file that you have to make sure...

I would just reload a new one anyway

Dangerousdave26
August 30th, 2013, 16:40
Very interesting there are no crash boxes on the carriers.

The only way to crash on this carrier is to impact the desk with some part of the plane.

I agree with skippybing it might be a strange piece of mesh. The crash boxes on the T45 are in strange places that we would normally think there should not be any.

That having been said I have launched the T45 many times off carriers without a problem. Of course I was using the cat launch feature in arrestor cables 2.6 which might be the difference.

grover1
August 30th, 2013, 21:09
I tried the Cat Launch feature in Arrestors 2.6 and it didn't work

Dangerousdave26
August 30th, 2013, 21:44
Have you tried just setting up a flight plan and creating a traffic.bgl file instead of using the mission. I am wondering if it is the mission that is not reacting well with something about the T45.

I just tried it as a simple AI ship and launched and recovered successfully. Well of course the cat launch throws you over the gear damage speed and makes it impossible to retract them or at least it did for me. Other than that it worked.

Dangerousdave26
August 31st, 2013, 06:09
Here is a traffic file to test to see if it is something placed in the mission.

The .bgl file will place the empty deck Nimitz off the coast of San Diego California.

The flight plan is a two week track. It sails between San Diego and San Fransisco. It leaves San Diego Monday at 1600 UTC (should be 0900 local) and should park just off Maintop Island (not sure if that island is in flight simulator I did not look) on Tuesday around 1146 UTC (0346 local).

It will start its return trip the following Tuesday at 1600 UTC (0900 local)

If you load the flight in San Diego on a Monday before 0900 local and the carrier is not there that means it is still parked off the coast of San Fransisco. Simply choose a Monday a week earlier or later and it will be there.

You must have boat traffic set to at least 5% for the carrier to show up.

Source files for the traffic file are included in the zip.

overall route

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/aibtc-1.jpg

San Diego Parking zone

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/aibtc-2.jpg

San Fransico Parking zone

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/aibtc-3.jpg

Note the CAT launch in FSX does not work while the carrier is stationary. It must be moving to function.

The Arrestor Cables work all the time.

orionll
August 31st, 2013, 13:48
Note the CAT launch in FSX does not work while the carrier is stationary. It must be moving to function.

I've not found that to be true.

The two conditions for catapults and FLOLS to work are having the proper attachpoints and being boat AI (not aircraft). The latter of which can be achieved through the mission system, traffic files, or SimConnect. I've created stationary carriers through all three methods, and the catapults and FLOLS have worked each time.

What does not work is placing the model as static scenery, creating it as aircraft AI, or converting the SimObject to be an aircraft.

Dangerousdave26
August 31st, 2013, 19:20
Tako_kichi and I spent over an hour today flying off the carrier in the T45 without any issues. I really think your issue might be the mission although I am not sure how.

That said if you are using the default FSX carrier mission are you not using MS default carrier? If you are it does have crash boxes on it. I could see where you might hit them if you go off the deck wrong.

grover1
September 1st, 2013, 00:01
When I use the AI carriers in free flight, I still can't launch from them using the T-45.

I can land no problem, but can't take off.