PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt PC Need Info.

bobhegf
August 27th, 2013, 06:57
I am working on getting a rebuilt PC. I tried it out yesterday and was getting a good 62 frames a sec. with CFS2 maxed out. This is what is in the PC. MOS is Vista, 375watt power supply, intel core 2 quad2.5GHz, 4gigs ram, 1TB 7200rpm hard drive,ATI RadeonHD 3600.I plan to put a Nvidia GT640 2GB of ram in soon. The price is good and comes with a 2 year warrenty on all parts. I would over time like to find out what you think and will take any suggestions and or help. I had planed to rebuild my old pc but found that that it would cost more to rebuild that one then to get this one and I would be pulling about the same frame rates to start with.

Shadow Wolf 07
August 27th, 2013, 09:32
Bob

Vista is okay, but if you can change or upgrade to Win 7, I recommend you do so. Sounds like a good system! Best of luck with it.

glh
August 27th, 2013, 10:16
I bought the 2 desktops that I use for all flight sim activities on Ebay. They came off lease and have been going strong for 6 years now.

First, determine what you basically want in a machine in term of Operating System, Hard Drive size, Memory and so forth.

Then, you need to find a reputable seller who has about a 98-100% positive feedback for about 500-up transactions.

Determine the price you are willing to pay and go for it !! You may not get the first one you bid on but it will happen eventually.

rhumbaflappy
August 27th, 2013, 10:48
For MS flight simulators it's mostly about CPU GHz. Video rarely gets maxed out. Dual core is good to allow background tasking; quad core isn't really needed.

So a 4GHz dual core CPU is about as good as it gets. Intel seems to be a bit better than AMD.

Dick

kelticheart
August 28th, 2013, 03:05
Hi folks,

a little off the topic but still within subject:

which graphic card brand performs better with CFS2, Nvidia or ATI Radeon?

I am thinking to get an upgraded machine myself this fall, but I am undecided about the video card.

I have been using ATI Radeon cards for the last 8 years and never had a problem, while I heard Nvidia can be troublesome and break down easily.

I recently replaced a failing Nvidia card with an ATI Radeon on my pc at work. This pc was entirely Nvidia dedicated with an Asus mobo + Nvidia chipset, I had quite a good time un-installing the old video drivers...:icon_lol:
It still acts up during boot, telling me the boot record is invalid. I think I must have wiped the chipset driver in the process and installing an updated Nvidia bridge driver set did not help much, so far.

I wouldn't want the same pain in the b*** with my new CFS2-dedicated rig!

Cheers!
KH :ernae:

bobhegf
August 28th, 2013, 21:40
What is the fastest CPU out there and what does it coast?

Sander
August 28th, 2013, 22:16
This is just about the fastest at the moment:
Intel Core i7-3970X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E 3.5GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 150W Six-Core Desktop Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116877

But this would be almost just as fast and effective for CFS2, for a third of the price:
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116501

Cowboy1968
August 29th, 2013, 08:23
I am working on getting a rebuilt PC. I tried it out yesterday and was getting a good 62 frames a sec. with CFS2 maxed out. This is what is in the PC. MOS is Vista, 375watt power supply, intel core 2 quad2.5GHz, 4gigs ram, 1TB 7200rpm hard drive,ATI RadeonHD 3600.I plan to put a Nvidia GT640 2GB of ram in soon. The price is good and comes with a 2 year warrenty on all parts. I would over time like to find out what you think and will take any suggestions and or help. I had planed to rebuild my old pc but found that that it would cost more to rebuild that one then to get this one and I would be pulling about the same frame rates to start with.

The stats on this computer seem to be fairly good. Good processor, good graphics card. Speaking of graphic cards, I am assuming that this is an expansion card, and not directly on the mother board itself. Onboard sound processors and graphic processors tend to slow the performance of the computer down.

Even if they are present on the motherboard, I have always built my computers with video and sound expansion cards. they don't eat up the resources like onboard chips.

I would worry about the power supply. seems a little weak to me, expecialy runnig windows vista. Myself I run an 850 watt power supply and this keeps the system running at a good space. I am also running a water cooler over the processor.

To restate, go with expansion cards, and try to get a larger power supply at least 600 wats.

bobhegf
September 5th, 2013, 10:55
Iam not sure about it being an expansion card. I was told that it does not have the sound card and graphics on the same card but they are separate.

bobhegf
September 5th, 2013, 11:02
I would like to try and bring up the frame rates to about 200fps and still have great graphics with CFS2 maxed out. What do I need to have in order to do it? I thank all for the post so far. This is some great info.