PDA

View Full Version : OT: unique railroad bridge in Auburn

Daveroo
August 21st, 2013, 20:26
this bridge is on track 2 ,eastbound transcontinental railroad through Auburn Cal,whats unique about it is that it is made from a standard truss bridge with a steel girder bridge set on top.i lived behind the cameraman on the hill for a couple of years and had this same view everyday,barely visible is the placer county courthouse on the hill on the other side of the freeway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLwx5dK7B0U

TARPSBird
August 22nd, 2013, 00:00
At first I thought the truss span was left over from a previous right-of-way, but I think they used it to allow wide clearance across the interstate. Not something you'd see on a model RR layout. :icon_lol:

stansdds
August 22nd, 2013, 02:04
Definitely an unusual arrangement.

Daveroo
August 22nd, 2013, 06:58
At first I thought the truss span was left over from a previous right-of-way, but I think they used it to allow wide clearance across the interstate. Not something you'd see on a model RR layout. :icon_lol:
yes you re correct,they used to it span the gap...and it is unique ,and i know of a local modeler who modeled this on a modular set up for club layout,one of those 4'x2' sections that is connected to someone elses module at a train show,the judges at the show,which was held back east,refused to allow his to be used because they were positive that there were no bridges like this on the transcontinental railroad....LOL...he won out ofcourse...he just called a few of his buddies back home and they all sent photos of it..this was before cell phones and easy digital video..