PDA

View Full Version : Whale imported in FSX

Francois
August 18th, 2013, 06:09
Whaddaya mean 'whale' !!??

:icon_lol:

Starting to get where I want it to be.........

stovall
August 18th, 2013, 06:53
Wow, it will have a Mulberry as well. nice work.

hairyspin
August 18th, 2013, 07:15
I hope yours isn't wrecked by summer storms Francois, good work! :jump:

TheGrunt
August 18th, 2013, 07:35
I thought this thread would be about a whale, like real flying whale in the "Hitchhikers Guide to Galaxy" -style. Somebody should model that whale for FSX :greenf:

"And the rest, after a sudden wet thud, was silence."

No, seriously, that Normandy is getting really nicely detailded :applause:

robert41
August 18th, 2013, 07:55
Looking real good Francois.

trucker17
August 18th, 2013, 09:23
Excellent job their......

Francois
August 18th, 2013, 22:04
Now working on the 'spud' pier heads...... those will take a bit more time ! :icon_lol:

Bjoern
August 19th, 2013, 05:19
Whaddaya mean 'whale' !!??

Must...not...make...joke...about...very...obese... female...

Your whale looks good. Don't paint it white though. You might attract weird seamen. :icon_lol:

falcon409
August 19th, 2013, 07:16
Not being a history buff, could someone explain what that is and what it's use was? I can guess why the "Whale" terminology is applied, but what was it used for?:salute:

Francois
August 19th, 2013, 07:40
Well, BEING a history buff I can explain Ed :-) The 'whale' was a code name for a bridge section as used in the Normandy Landings Mulberry 'artificial harbors'. The whale (bridge) section was attached to two pontoons (code named Beetles) and connected the beaches with the deeper water off coast.
At the end of a whale 'road'(the longest consisted of some 45 bridge segments of 80 feet each) ended onto a pier head (called 'spuds') that would raise with the tide.

The US harbour at Omaha Beach was only functional for three days before a huge storm swept most of it away. The British harbour (Mulbberry B) at Arromanches survived the storm and was 'in business' for over three months!

I am working on recreating the entire Mulberry B harbor in FSX...... which is almost as big an undertaking as the real one was !

Here's a link to a site of someone who visited the Arromanches museum........ it shows models of the harbour parts
http://johnsmilitaryhistory.com/Mulberry.html

falcon409
August 19th, 2013, 07:47
Great, thanks Francois!:salute:

Navy Chief
August 19th, 2013, 07:54
At first, I thought you were posting about the A-3 Skywarrior....also known as a "Whale"....
NC

Francois
August 19th, 2013, 08:18
At first, I thought you were posting about the A-3 Skywarrior....also known as a "Whale"....
NC

Sorry to disappoint you :kilroy:

Navy Chief
August 19th, 2013, 09:58
Sorry to disappoint you :kilroy:

Oh no, not a disappointment! It was simply a mental "reflex" that I would think that! And your post about THIS type of whale is a learning experience. Thanks! NC

MCDesigns
August 19th, 2013, 10:30
Nice work Francois, well done! :applause:

Francois
August 19th, 2013, 10:51
Thank you !!! :jump: Wouldn't have thought thus possible a year ago..... but now I am determined! :running:

hairyspin
August 19th, 2013, 12:04
Out of interest, the last surviving (reinforced concrete) Beetles in the UK still lay on a shingle beach at Loch Ryan up until a couple of years ago. The site is now a ferry terminal for the Stranraer-Belfast ferry service and before building the terminal great efforts were made by the contractors to preserve at least one example. Sadly the reinforcing was rusted beyond usefulness and each Beetle fell to pieces when trying to remove them. I was just a week too late to get photos before the site was closed off, bother it!

More power to your Sketchup, Francois!

Francois
August 19th, 2013, 12:25
Sadly time destroys everything in the end. There are still quite a few pontoons laying on the beach near Arromanches and I believe a few on Utah Beach too. But indeed, they too will disappear. So all the scale models and 3D models will be all that is left over time..... I speak to people now who are 'vaguely' aware of 'D-Day' ..... This is my modest effort to keep things alive even for our grand children and theirs.....

....... if only FSX stays alive long enough :icon_lol:

lazarus
August 19th, 2013, 18:02
I thought this thread would be about a whale, like real flying whale in the "Hitchhikers Guide to Galaxy" -style. Somebody should model that whale for FSX :greenf:

"And the rest, after a sudden wet thud, was silence."

No, seriously, that Normandy is getting really nicely detailded :applause:

Funny you should mention that, because I've a low poly baleen whale that could be made into a releasable object easily. But what would you drop it from?

Looking great, Francois! There is a good assortment of amphibious ships in the upload que too!

roger-wilco-66
August 19th, 2013, 21:59
Great work, Francois!

:-)

Cheers,
Mark

Francois
August 19th, 2013, 22:38
Once finished we'll have a great place to put those ships and vehicles in that you guys are making !!!! :applause::applause::applause: