PDA

View Full Version : Old Acton Airfield

MCDesigns
August 17th, 2013, 22:00
I have been enjoying Eds airfields and after installing Buzzy field, I remembered I had several photoreal base files that I never did anything with. One was Old Acton Airfield in Acton, Maine, not far off from Buzzy Field and not far from some of Eds other Maine sceneries. So I decided to spend some time on it as a change of pace and one thing lead to another and viola, LOL.

Old Acton Airfield in reality is a private field, but I took some creative license with it since I liked the area and the layout. All objects are custom, no default libraries and have been optimized when needed. I see only a 2 FPS drop when looking at the field. The photoreal has water masking, and night textures, including the town of Acton and I added road traffic thru the town since I like that kinda thing. I also added autogen and tried to keep the same landclass definitions for the same area, but I added more pines since they look better. I use default textures, have no interest in FTXG, so even though the photoreal is blended, not sure how it will look with FTXG or GEX. I also have default mesh, so not sure how it will play with any addon mesh. Should work in DX10 since that is what I use.

Anyhoo, got a few more things to tweak, but should be uploaded on Monday (my least fav part, the packaging and uploading process) it's a big file due to the photoreal and textures, so I haven't figured out where I will upload it yet.

Here are a couple of images

Love the approach

http://imageshack.us/a/img59/6113/qodu.jpg

the picnic area

http://imageshack.us/a/img838/7310/gnwd.jpg

beef, it's for dinner:running:

http://imageshack.us/a/img41/1949/bih5.jpg

falcon409
August 17th, 2013, 22:19
Wow, now that is very cool Michael. A great destination and I'd love to revisit/upgrade a lot of those airports I did way back when, but reference is basically non-existent other than what Google shows me and that doesn't help with what buildings "look" like. This'll be great though. . .looking forward to it.:applause:

Francois
August 17th, 2013, 23:54
Looking great Michael !

TheGrunt
August 18th, 2013, 00:34
Great looking indeed! Another fabulous creation :applause:

sidler
August 18th, 2013, 01:40
Hi Michael...

I need this field very bad, I live down the road in Lebanon, Maine. I live about a mile from Lebanon Skydive strip. I use to fly in and out of Sanford Airport when I was still flying in the real world and flew over both strips :jump:.

Dick

Roger
August 18th, 2013, 03:54
Excellent:ernae:

stansdds
August 18th, 2013, 04:58
Nicely done! :applause:

stovall
August 18th, 2013, 07:00
Looks like a really good place to fly the Carenado Cessna 206H. Thanks Michael, nice place to fly into for lunch.

robert41
August 18th, 2013, 07:58
Great scenery.

dougal
August 18th, 2013, 08:07
That looks just stunning. I for one eagerly await it's upload;-)

Thank you very much for all your work!!!!!

:salute::salute:

MCDesigns
August 18th, 2013, 16:51
Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated. Right now I am tweaking the autogen and trying to figure out where/how to upload as it is around 700+ mb, oh well, the curse of quality, LOL.

MCDesigns
August 19th, 2013, 09:01
Anyone have any suggestions for where to upload this? I usually use mediafire for files, but their limit is 200 mb, I checked here and the limit is 190 mb. The file is at 470 mb zipped.

rdaniell
August 19th, 2013, 09:08
Anyone have any suggestions for where to upload this? I usually use mediafire for files, but their limit is 200 mb, I checked here and the limit is 190 mb. The file is at 470 mb zipped.

I wonder if you did it up in sections...you know...textures, bgls, etc. Just thinking out loud...

RD

falcon409
August 19th, 2013, 09:22
Michael you have a PM

MCDesigns
August 19th, 2013, 09:26
I wonder if you did it up in sections...you know...textures, bgls, etc. Just thinking out loud...

RD

Thanks RD, but the photoreal is the problem and I am all about quality over compression. I don't think about file sizes as I have 4 TB in my PC and a 2 TB external backup drive.

rdaniell
August 19th, 2013, 09:48
Thanks RD, but the photoreal is the problem and I am all about quality over compression. I don't think about file sizes as I have 4 TB in my PC and a 2 TB external backup drive.

:running:Well, looks like we might just have to come over to your house to play..:icon_lol:

RD

Dave Torkington
August 19th, 2013, 10:48

Hi Michael,

Some file zipping prog's have an option to split the zip - WinRAR for example. You could use the trial version maybe?

HJSplit is a great little file splitter prog., but the only obvious drawback is that the recipient of your files must have it to join the parts back up...

http://www.hjsplit.org/