PDA

View Full Version : FSX crashed, next stop trash can, but...

TuFun
August 11th, 2013, 15:43
...after spending four days trying to repair FSX, it was hopeless. I thought to myself, all the stuff I will have to reload back and all those tweaks and headaches trying to get to fly 26 fps... again! After a few days thinking about it... and the PS3 wasn't cutting it... FSX must return!!!

In order to clean house, I formatted the drives, installed a fresh Win7 64bit and installed FSX. Applied the tweaks, installed the recording programs and enhancements to create this video and why I enjoy flying! -TuFun

And the to the talented people who makes this simulator worth it! :salute:

Lineas Aereas Canedo (LAC) Super DC-3 CP-2421 repainted by Jan Kees.
Base metal work repaint by Gordon Madison. (Gman)
Aircraft model Douglas C-117D (beta) by Manfred Jahn and team.
IWM Duxford scenery by Airfield Construction Group

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgxqz1XEPR8

ST0RM
August 11th, 2013, 16:16
Had a similar weekend. Friday night I attempted to log into a M/P server but the sim would hang at 83% trying to load ATC. Hmmm, M/P doesn't have ATC so I closed it down and rebooted. After some checking, I tried again only to have it hang at 86% trying to load AI stuff.

Long story short, 2+ hours of trouble shooting and I couldn't get it working again. The kicker was that I had just flew two offline flights without a hitch.

So I deleted EVERYTHING, defragged and cleaned the H/D and registry and began the reinstall dance. 18+ hours later of reinstalling and tweaking, I've decided to run only DX10 compatible aircraft/scenery. The sim is lean and trim again and runs extremely well.

Good luck to you.

Jeff

trucker17
August 11th, 2013, 16:32
Nice to hear everythings working again for you.....
My weekend consisted of installing about 400 sceneries, and scenery objects.....
FUN FUN FUN......:isadizzy:

gman5250
August 11th, 2013, 17:42
Nice vid TF. I knew you couldn't resist the urge.

Crashing FSX, Photoshop, Explorer, Windows 7.

In the course of a typical day, I must crash FSX a few dozen times, my older Photoshop wont run in Windows 7, so I run Image Ready which crashes a gozillion times because it has a memory limit that won't handle 4096 textures in more than a few layers. I've been working with software since the mid 90s and have NEVER had the woeful, nasty, crashing, frustrating, hair pulling downright aggravating experience I have had with W7.

Doing the high end projects like Tipella, I figure I was about 5% efficient and 95% chasing files that were allegedly saved, but magically lost or otherwise altered through some inexplicable manifestation of Windows gremlins that seem to creep out of every dark digital corner.

I cannot imagine the cumulative lost hours I have wasted in the last 25 years. I figure Bill Gates owes me a lot of $$$$$.

Don't dismay TF...you aren't alone in your digital dilemma(s).

End of rant.

Thank you TF for the endless time you put into your projects, your immense patience and friendship.

G

jankees
August 11th, 2013, 21:37
oh dear, yes, I've been there a few times too. On the plus side, you get to reevaluate all your add-ons (do I want to reinstall this 3.5 Gb scenery or not?), but it takes forever....
Still, everytime it feels good in the end!

Naismith
August 11th, 2013, 23:07
I keep a written (by hand no less) log of each and every thing I add into FSX. Do it one at a time, test each as added and you should avoid trouble.

aeronca1
August 12th, 2013, 04:22
Reminds me of a quote I read years ago and copied:

Practically all the software in the world is either broken or very difficult
to use. So users dread software. They’ve been trained that whenever they try
to install something, or even fill out a form online, it’s not going to work.
I dread installing stuff, and I have a Ph.D. in computer science.

-Paul Graham, Founders at Work

Jafo
August 12th, 2013, 04:33
Nice vid TF. I knew you couldn't resist the urge.

Crashing FSX, Photoshop, Explorer, Windows 7.

In the course of a typical day, I must crash FSX a few dozen times, my older Photoshop wont run in Windows 7, so I run Image Ready which crashes a gozillion times because it has a memory limit that won't handle 4096 textures in more than a few layers. I've been working with software since the mid 90s and have NEVER had the woeful, nasty, crashing, frustrating, hair pulling downright aggravating experience I have had with W7.

Doing the high end projects like Tipella, I figure I was about 5% efficient and 95% chasing files that were allegedly saved, but magically lost or otherwise altered through some inexplicable manifestation of Windows gremlins that seem to creep out of every dark digital corner.

I cannot imagine the cumulative lost hours I have wasted in the last 25 years. I figure Bill Gates owes me a lot of $$$$$.

Don't dismay TF...you aren't alone in your digital dilemma(s).

End of rant.

Thank you TF for the endless time you put into your projects, your immense patience and friendship.

G

7 is by FAR the best OS that MS ever created. If you are having issues with 7 it will be an Eye Dee 10 Tee error....;)

Re PS and 4096 res ..... I use PSP6 which falls over after about 20 or so layers .... but the even older PS Elements 2 chugs along happily [in 7 Ult 64bit] with a current 4096 res layered image of 498meg psd .... the layers will be somewhere in the 3 figures.

Neither is a 64bit program....;)

Naismith
August 12th, 2013, 09:34
Reminds me of a quote I read years ago and copied:

I dread installing stuff, and I have a Ph.D. in computer science.

-Paul Graham, Founders at Work

On the other hand. would the panel not agree that some of the dumbest people have letters after their name. They may be very smart in one chosen direction but totally incompetent in just about everything else especially when it comes to being practical.

WarHorse47
August 12th, 2013, 11:10
On the other hand. would the panel not agree that some of the dumbest people have letters after their name. They may be very smart in one chosen direction but totally incompetent in just about everything else especially when it comes to being practical....ah, excuse me?? Did it ever occur to you that some SOH members may have letters after their name??

Roger
August 12th, 2013, 11:20
Just glad you've got it sorted TuFun, but a shame it as the full reinstall tedium! Apart from an Acceleration repair back in 2008 I've managed to keep the same basic FsX/Acc since 2007. I bet I would find it a much better sim if I had to reinstall, but I'm saving that for my new rig coming soon once I decide what I can spend and what components to go for.

Lionheart
August 12th, 2013, 11:24
I'll humbly suggest trying out Prepar3D for 30 days. Buy one month only. See what you think of it.

There is no SP1 or SP2. Its been improved 4 times already

It runs very nicely, smoother then FSX. A lot of the problems in FSX were taken out in build 1.4 of P3D.

Its just a humble suggestion. FSX was driving me nuts, so much so, I was going to quit FSX altogether (my business) and stick with FS9 till I tried P3D.

Bill

Naismith
August 12th, 2013, 11:32
...ah, excuse me?? Did it ever occur to you that some SOH members may have letters after their name??

I was careful to say SOME and not ALL.

TuFun
August 12th, 2013, 14:56
Just glad you've got it sorted TuFun, but a shame it as the full reinstall tedium! Apart from an Acceleration repair back in 2008 I've managed to keep the same basic FsX/Acc since 2007. I bet I would find it a much better sim if I had to reinstall, but I'm saving that for my new rig coming soon once I decide what I can spend and what components to go for.

What was really interesting was my aircraft.cfg settings were off, meaning something like the [piston_engine] normalized_starter_torque = 0.53 would not work for me, but for others fine. I would have to set it to =2.0. Now with a fresh install, =0.53 works fine. Afterburner effects was the same way, had to move it further in than specified.

I'll humbly suggest trying out Prepar3D for 30 days. Buy one month only. See what you think of it.

There is no SP1 or SP2. Its been improved 4 times already

It runs very nicely, smoother then FSX. A lot of the problems in FSX were taken out in build 1.4 of P3D.

Its just a humble suggestion. FSX was driving me nuts, so much so, I was going to quit FSX altogether (my business) and stick with FS9 till I tried P3D.

Bill

I almost did, but I use FSRecorder 2.0+ for recording movies. I understand that this doesn't work in P3D. I maybe wrong.

Seriously waiting for P3D ver 2.0... then I will make the jump!

I was careful to say SOME and not ALL.

:icon_lol: TuFun laughed at joke! :icon_lol: Me know what you mean! (caveman voice) :cool: No offense to caveman. ;) Just being lighthearted guys! :salute:

FSX is looking good now and running smooth!

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/08/12/s4D7x.jpg