PDA

View Full Version : Dog Island...

rdaniell
August 9th, 2013, 04:27
...Is up and available now. I found this little drivable atv at Avsim. According to the readme it's by Dick Stuck under FTBVA. Anyway it's kinda cool for riding around on the beach.

RD

rdaniell
August 9th, 2013, 05:11
This one is a modern version bug by the same author as the atv in the above screen shot. I've been having a ball running :running:wide open up and down the beach jumping :jump:sand dunes.

RD

rdaniell
August 9th, 2013, 05:36
Brought this one over on the ferry so Don won't get lost:isadizzy: between the end of the runway and the parking area.:icon_lol: :icon_lol:

RD

Navy Chief
August 9th, 2013, 05:49
Haven't talked to Dirk Stuck in years, but he is a very talented artist. He's also a former F-104 pilot with the Luftwaffe. I used to be active with his Flight Team Bremerhaven group, but it's been a few years....... NC

rdaniell
August 9th, 2013, 06:53
Man! What a bunch of "cheapskates" here at the Outhouse....I checked the landing fee box :kilroy: this morning. Not a single penny in it. What you'll don't know, however, is there is a hidden camera that takes a photo of each airplane that lands there. When you return to your home airport, a deputy will be waiting for you with a warrant for your arrest. You will be charged with "theft by taking."

And Don, don't think you can get away with landing on the beach.....:mixedsmi:

Whoa :jump:Nellie! I'm having way to much fun here.....I hope everyone who has downloaded this project is also enjoying it.:guinness:

RD

fxsttcb
August 9th, 2013, 07:07
Landing on the Lee side in my LC126, and taxiing to the beach. Catch me if you can! :icon_lol:

Oh, BTW, I peed(sp?) on the sign...Don

rdaniell
August 9th, 2013, 07:14
Landing on the Lee side in my LC126, and taxiing to the beach. Catch me if you can! :icon_lol: Oh, BTW, I peed(sp?) on the sign...Don

Well, the camera caught you. Thankfully the angle on the camera only got your ugly face....:icon_lol: And really how dumb can you be.....ever heard of DNA?

RD

fxsttcb
August 9th, 2013, 07:28
My ugly face was courtesy of Walmart's Halloween Special aisle. :icon_eek:

Jeez, and I thought I was being nice. I could have peed in the box. :icon_lol:

trucker17
August 9th, 2013, 08:52
Did'nt catch me.....I came in under the radar......
http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag114/craigteague/2013-8-9_9-23-56-355_zpsc6d373ea.png (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/craigteague/media/2013-8-9_9-23-56-355_zpsc6d373ea.png.html)
http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag114/craigteague/2013-8-9_9-24-56-55_zps5e105de4.png (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/craigteague/media/2013-8-9_9-24-56-55_zps5e105de4.png.html)
http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag114/craigteague/2013-8-9_9-28-9-357_zps88014f62.png (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/craigteague/media/2013-8-9_9-28-9-357_zps88014f62.png.html)

rdaniell
August 9th, 2013, 09:25
Did'nt catch me.....I came in under the radar......

Et tu Craig? Another "freeloader." Pretty soon the runway is going to be in such bad shape due to a lack of funds :stop: that the only way anyone will be able to land at the island will be in a float plane.

RD

CG_1976
August 9th, 2013, 10:08
What is the main heading for the main Runway Please also need the feet-age of the Water rwy and it's main heading please. Need this info for my flight from Mobile CGAS. Coming over for Coastal Insp lol of ah beer yah beer.

trucker17
August 9th, 2013, 10:18
Et tu Craig? Another "freeloader." Pretty soon the runway is going to be in such bad shape due to a lack of funds :stop: that the only way anyone will be able to land at the island will be in a float plane.

RD

Yeah....I came for a visit....Heard they locked up your bird, and took the keys away....You miss a payment ?...:icon_lol:
Nice little field here RD.....Looks really good.....Like the building....Nice work shed ER...Office...:mixedsmi:

P.S. The check is in the MAIL.....:salute:

rdaniell
August 9th, 2013, 10:21
What is the main heading for the main Runway Please also need the feet-age of the Water rwy and it's main heading please. Need this info for my flight from Mobile CGAS. Coming over for Coastal Insp lol of ah beer yah beer.

About 330 degrees and 150 degrees on the grass strip. There is no water runway.....just land anywhere you want. Sorry but, if you want a cold one, you'll have to bring it with you. There are no places to buy anything on the island. Residents and visitors to the island have to bring everything over with them.

RD

rdaniell
August 9th, 2013, 10:27
Yeah....I came for a visit....Heard they locked up your bird, and took the keys away....You miss a payment ?...:icon_lol: Nice little field here RD.....Looks really good.....Like the building....Nice work shed ER...Office...:mixedsmi: P.S. The check is in the MAIL.....:salute:

Who started that nasty rumor? Don? My airplane is currently under going an annual inspection thank you very much. Yeah, Craig, your check is in the mail. You were also hurt in the war too, huh?

RD

trucker17
August 9th, 2013, 10:40
Who started that nasty rumor? Don? My airplane is currently under going an annual inspection thank you very much. Yeah, Craig, your check is in the mail. You were also hurt in the war too, huh?

RD

Yep I was......Blind in one eye, can hardly see out the other, right arm gone, left leg missing....Last 3 checks I wrote bounced....But all is well:jump:

rdaniell
August 9th, 2013, 10:53
Yep I was......Blind in one eye, can hardly see out the other, right arm gone, left leg missing....Last 3 checks I wrote bounced....But all is well:jump:

I bet your nickname is: LUCKY

BTW CG_1976, just fly east down the Florida panhandle coast and look for grass sticking up about 5 or 6 feet above the water.
That'll be Dog Island due to all the cheapskates putting everything but money in the landing fee box.

RD

trucker17
August 9th, 2013, 11:14
I bet your nickname is: LUCKY

BTW CG_1976, just fly east down the Florida panhandle coast and look for grass sticking up about 5 or 6 feet above the water.
That'll be Dog Island due to all the cheapskates putting everything but money in the landing fee box.

RD

Yeah....How'd you guess...:jawdrop:

MCDesigns
August 9th, 2013, 13:14
I talked Shay into a day at the beach and we came over on the ferry. I told her to drop some money in the box even though we didn't fly in. Now off to find a cabin...................

Nice work RD!

http://imageshack.us/a/img138/5179/slak.jpg

rdaniell
August 9th, 2013, 13:22
I talked Shay into a day at the beach and we came over on the ferry. I told her to drop some money in the box even though we didn't fly in. Now off to find a cabin...................Nice work RD!

Thanks for the compliment and the donation. I see you brought your own "babe" with you. I guess you must have read my post about having to bring everything with you. You don't need to rent a cabin. You'll can stay with me and my "babe" that I've been lucky to have been married to for 48 years.
We rented one of the larger cabins with separate bedrooms, baths, etc. I hope Don don't read this. He'll want to bring some of the "riff-raff" with him.

RD

fxsttcb
August 10th, 2013, 04:10
Wow Michael! It musta been cold. Eh? :icon_lol:

"riff-raff"? There are still 11 of us hard core Marine Bikers known as "The Wrecking Crew" in the Charleston to Savanna corridor...(We dove wrecks, he-he)
The Wrecking Crew Association also has in it's possession a few WWII relics. Some restored, some WIP...

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q756/fxsttcb/FA43/TWC-PT-Dog_zpse1260f05.jpg

Careful whacha wish for!

Had to drag the dock a tad for draft. :icon_lol:
You should have seen the ferry pilot's face! :icon_eek:

Once again, Thanks Randy. I'm havin a blast. :salute: ...Don

rdaniell
August 10th, 2013, 04:41
Wow Michael! It musta been cold. Eh? :icon_lol: "riff-raff"? There are still 11 of us hard core Marine Bikers known as "The Wrecking Crew" in the Charleston to Savanna corridor...(We dove wrecks, he-he) The Wrecking Crew Association also has in it's possession a few WWII relics. Some restored, some WIP...Careful whacha wish for! Had to drag the dock a tad for draft. :icon_lol: You should have seen the ferry pilot's face! :icon_eek: Once again, Thanks Randy. I'm havin a blast. :salute: ...Don

I see you got the dock positioned correctly for your set-up. Looks good. Lordy! Eleven "Devil Dogs." I reckon this ole Air Force loadmaster is outnumbered so if you'll will stay on the far end of the island it will be ok. BTW....looks like you still have good 20/20 mark twos.

RD

falcon409
August 10th, 2013, 04:49
A few shots of my trip out to Dog Island yesterday. Great job Randy. I also picked up the ATV and did some cruising up and down the beach. Got a bit carried away at one end and ran out of beach. . .ended up in the drink! lol

rdaniell
August 10th, 2013, 04:57
A few shots of my trip out to Dog Island yesterday. Great job Randy. I also picked up the ATV and did some cruising up and down the beach. Got a bit carried away at one end and ran out of beach. . .ended up in the drink! lol

Did the guys in the PT Boat offer to help or did they use you for target practice?

RD

fxsttcb
August 10th, 2013, 05:41
Ha-Ha! The barrels are leaded, but, the reefer is fully stocked, and the Port side, Aft "Depth Charges", are camouflaged propane grills.

Welcome aboard, Ed, grab a drink, the T-Bones and Kabobs are almost ready...

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q756/fxsttcb/FA43/TWC-PT-Cooking_zpsdf16bc90.jpg

Hmmm...I hope you like 'em well done!
Brent(we call him Burnt) is cooking. :icon_lol: ...Don

rdaniell
August 10th, 2013, 06:03
Ha-Ha! The barrels are leaded, but, the reefer is fully stocked, and the Port side, Aft "Depth Charges", are camouflaged propane grills. Welcome aboard, Ed, grab a drink, the T-Bones and Kabobs are almost ready... Hmmm...I hope you like 'em well done! Brent(we call him Burnt) is cooking. :icon_lol: ...Don

OK, I reckon this guy is with you'll bringing the rest of the supplies. Looks like I might just have to ride down to the West end of the island.

RD

fxsttcb
August 10th, 2013, 07:45
Nope! Not us!
From a few conversations with the landing party, a few vets from MCB-1 were monitoring our chatter and decided to try and take advantage of the sit.
In good ol' military fashion they decided to set up a couple more pay-to-play docks and a concession.

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q756/fxsttcb/FA43/TWC-MCB1-Dog_zps2046b1d4.jpg

Last I heard, they're making a killing and they decided that 50% of the proceeds go into your Fee box!

Let's party! :icon_lol: ...Don

rdaniell
August 10th, 2013, 07:52
Took off from Tallahassee, Florida, municpal airport heading to Dog Island. Stopped in at Panacea, Wakula County Airport, for some BBQ take-out.
There is a freeware Tallahassee scenery by Art Poole at Avsim or Flightsim. ( I can't remember which.) The "Pit Stop" BBQ is just a default bgl that I stuck in at Wakula using ADEX. Anway the combo makes a nice little outing. I've made this flight a few times in real life. He, he....one of those three hundre dollar BBQ picnics.

RD

Update: Don, I talked with the folks on these two airplanes and invited them to join us.

rdaniell
August 10th, 2013, 07:57
Nope! Not us! From a few conversations with the landing party, a few vets from MCB-1 were monitoring our chatter and decided to try and take advantage of the sit. In good ol' military fashion they decided to set up a couple more pay-to-play docks and a concession. Last I heard, they're making a killing and they decided that 50% of the proceeds go into your Fee box! Let's party! :icon_lol: ...Don

Now that is truly taking a beach! Also, I will gladly accept the donations.

RD

fxsttcb
August 10th, 2013, 08:14
Uh-Oh!!

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q756/fxsttcb/FA43/TWC-Cruise2-Dog_zps874cd9d7.jpg

Ah...you're on your own now pal. I'm outta here. :running:

rdaniell
August 10th, 2013, 08:52
Dang it! There goes the neighborhood. Somebody just had to blab about the good times we were having. Don, your mission, if you accept it, is to scout out another location.

RD

rdaniell
August 10th, 2013, 09:23
Don, I got wind that some members of the Dog Island Conservation District were on their way out to the island. I got all the money out of the fees box and am making a run for it. Will meet you later at our briefed location.

RD

fxsttcb
August 10th, 2013, 09:47
Don, I got wind that some members of the Dog Island Conservation District were on their way out to the island. I got all the money out of the fees box and am making a run for it. Will meet you later at our briefed location.I think they musta called for some reinforcements too. These guys gave me the once-over enroute to the Carrabelle Marina. See ya in a bit. Gotta Fuel up...Don

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q756/fxsttcb/FA43/TWC-CG-Dog_zps22abbc61.jpg

rdaniell
August 10th, 2013, 10:00
And as it used to be said at the Saturday afternoon matinee....."TO BE CONTINUED."

RD

CG_1976
August 11th, 2013, 13:49
Due to USCG KOPF budget cuts, we have generously donated 2 Barrels of dark sweet Cuban Rum in trade for landing rights lol.

rdaniell
August 11th, 2013, 14:03
Due to USCG KOPF budget cuts, we have generously donated 2 Barrels of dark sweet Cuban Rum in trade for landing rights lol.

Lordy! By the time Don and I can get back down there, I expect someone will have already stolen those barrels. Nice gesture, though. Wait, Michael and Shay are still there. They can take care of them.

RD

MCDesigns
August 11th, 2013, 14:50
Lordy! By the time Don and I can get back down there, I expect someone will have already stolen those barrels. Nice gesture, though. Wait, Michael and Shay are still there. They can take care of them.

RD

OPPS! I told Shay not to touch any of the rum, that it wasn't for us, but by the time I came back to the cabin with lunch it was too late, so I joined in on the festivities (she can be persuasive :kilroy: :icon_eek: )

Thanks for the rum guys! :isadizzy:

http://imageshack.us/a/img826/796/6gjr.jpg

rdaniell
August 11th, 2013, 15:27
I swapped out airplanes at Block Island and decided to return to Dog Island. As you can see from the screen shot, all the riff raff have departed the island.
Additonally, Shay did put on an itsy bitsy bikini while entertaining the committe members by serving them some rum and my wife's world famous peach cobbler. Some incriminating photos were obtained and the members ( all males ) agreed to write up a report for the full committee that everything was in order and they saw absolutely nothing that would be harmful to the island while they were there. Mrs. D sent me a coded message to that effect and I came back. Don and crew are also on the way.

BTW, The "gooney bird" is loaded with supplies so let's party! Open to anyone but members of the DICD.....

RD

rdaniell
August 12th, 2013, 05:38
Looks like Don might have attempted to stop at Panacea for some BBQ. Tell us this ain't you Don.

RD

fxsttcb
August 12th, 2013, 06:15
Looks like Don might have attempted to stop at Panacea for some BBQ. Tell us this ain't you Don.

RD
Thankfully, not! :wavey:
Look at how far away the runway is. Aborted Take-Off mebbe?...Don

Obie311
August 12th, 2013, 23:01
I was paying a visit to some old friends at AFSOC and they introduced me to the Sikorsky rep. I invited him to do a little fishing off Dog Island. I knew Randy needed some gas and parts for the ATV's so we loaded up his demo Skytruck and took a little hop over there. Nice roomy short field bird.

Dog Island might be a good spot for me to retire. Does Randy have his real estate license?

Obie

yankeeromeo
August 13th, 2013, 00:08
the Sikorsky rep.
Obie

FSX native Sikorsky:ques:
Cheers.

rdaniell
August 13th, 2013, 05:36
I was paying a visit to some old friends at AFSOC and they introduced me to the Sikorsky rep. I invited him to do a little fishing off Dog Island. I knew Randy needed some gas and parts for the ATV's so we loaded up his demo Skytruck and took a little hop over there. Nice roomy short field bird. Dog Island might be a good spot for me to retire. Does Randy have his real estate license? Obie

Thanks for the supply run. And yes, I just happen to have a real estate license (virtual that is.). You were planning on paying in virtual money anyway.

RD

Obie311
August 13th, 2013, 06:26
FSX native Sikorsky:ques:
Cheers.

Yep Sikorsky (http://www.sikorsky.com/Products/Product+Details/Model+Family+Details?provcmid=bfa955f4a9d98110VgnV CM1000001382000aRCRD&mofvcmid=cdc87a0017f98110VgnVCM1000001382000aRCRD&mofid=bdc87a0017f98110VgnVCM1000001382000a____) is the US partner of PZL Mielec (http://www.pzlmielec.pl/) .

Obie

Obie311
August 13th, 2013, 06:28
Thankfully, not! :wavey:
Aborted Take-Off mebbe?...Don

Maybe he panicked on the takeoff roll when he realized that the rudder pedals were missing.

Obie

rdaniell
August 13th, 2013, 06:50
Maybe he panicked on the takeoff roll when he realized that the rudder pedals were missing. Obie

That photo was taken at Wakulla County Airport, Panacea, Florida. I've finished the BBQ Restraurant and done a little additional enhancements to the default FSX airport. I haven't decided to release it as is with some borrowed hangers or build my own custom hangers. If you look closely, you maybe able to see some smoke coming out of the chimney.

RD

rdaniell
August 17th, 2013, 08:57
....from the 815th TCS showed up here at Dog Island this morning. I don't know how they found out about the place nor how they "borrowed" this old "A" model but, they sure brought a lot of supplies with them. It'll be interesting to see if they are still the same bunch of "hell raisers" they were back in the middle 1960s.

RD

Obie311
August 17th, 2013, 16:35
Well... That should certainly take care of Isla Perro logistics for awhile. I'd love to have seen that landing.

I'll give the Skytruck back to the Sikorsky rep and probably fly the Scout next time to save on fuel.

Smilin' Obie

rdaniell
August 17th, 2013, 16:41
Well... That should certainly take care of Isla Perro logistics for awhile. I'd love to have seen that landing. I'll give the Skytruck back to the Sikorsky rep and probably fly the Scout next time to save on fuel. Smilin' Obie

We called those landings "controlled crashes" back in Nam. Nothing to it really. Full flaps just above stall speed and immediate full reverse upon touch down.

Notice I still had a little runway left. Take off was a little hairy. Did a bit of water skiing just off the beach even though the airplane was empty. As an ole buddy of mine used to always say: "Ya shoudda seen it."

Edit: Obie, I'm a bit slow as they say down here in South Georgia. I've just now figured out your new handle.

RD

Obie311
August 17th, 2013, 21:02
We called those landings "controlled crashes" back in Nam.<snip> I've just now figured out your new handle.
RD

Well it's a little tongue-in-cheek because I want everybody to smile a little when they read my posts but also I was thinkin' of this intrepid aviator:

Obie (with an ear to ear grin)

rdaniell
August 18th, 2013, 11:01
Well, it's been another great weekend down here at Dog Island. Being that I'm a retired clergy person, some of the guys asked if I would celebrate an early morning communion service. I did. It was really a blessing as everyone showed up for the service. Among the many things we prayed for, we prayed for all of our Outhouse buddies as we know there are some going through some pretty rough times right now.

It's my humble opinion that there has never been a simple country church nor a cathedral more beautiful than our setting on the beach this morning.

Peace+

RD

Dimus
September 8th, 2013, 09:53
With kind permission from Randy I did some minor rework of the scenery. I added some landclass polys to increase the vegetation a bit. I also added a few water bodies, a dirt runway and taxiway, and a parking spot so that AI can use the airport. Hope you like it.

It is just uploaded here and will be available soon. In my install it looks like below with UTX+GEX. Not sure how it will look without them or with other addons:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/fsx2013-09-0800-00-58-78_zps1941db7a.jpg~original (http://s264.photobucket.com/user/VDimus/media/fsx2013-09-0800-00-58-78_zps1941db7a.jpg.html)

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/fsx2013-09-0800-01-34-86_zps0b2e9aa8.jpg~original (http://s264.photobucket.com/user/VDimus/media/fsx2013-09-0800-01-34-86_zps0b2e9aa8.jpg.html)

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/fsx2013-09-0800-03-22-78_zps492451cb.jpg~original (http://s264.photobucket.com/user/VDimus/media/fsx2013-09-0800-03-22-78_zps492451cb.jpg.html)

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/fsx2013-09-0800-06-07-94_zps1800e436.jpg~original (http://s264.photobucket.com/user/VDimus/media/fsx2013-09-0800-06-07-94_zps1800e436.jpg.html)

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/fsx2013-09-0800-05-14-66_zps8101a957.jpg~original (http://s264.photobucket.com/user/VDimus/media/fsx2013-09-0800-05-14-66_zps8101a957.jpg.html)

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/fsx2013-09-0800-06-07-94_zps1800e436.jpg~original (http://s264.photobucket.com/user/VDimus/media/fsx2013-09-0800-06-07-94_zps1800e436.jpg.html)

Thanks Randy, as said I had a fun Saturday morning with this. The Greek registered 172 of my aeroclub must have taken ages to arrive there!:icon_lol:

MCDesigns
September 8th, 2013, 10:42
Nice work! I had done the whole island in photoreal, but with Randys UTX (which I don't have) the beaches looked better than sat imagery reality, so we decided against it.

Dimus
September 8th, 2013, 10:54
Thanks! The shorelines also did not match. I used a sat image as background to draw the roads and place the runway and they ended up in the water. The whole island is offset a bit south in FSX/UTX.

rdaniell
September 9th, 2013, 08:04
Dimus,

Just how did you get that airplane with Greek registration over to Dog Island? You must have had all kinds of aux fuel tanks installed...I have to wonder when your butt will catch up to you...:icon_lol:

RD