PDA

View Full Version : FSX ATC

heavy
August 7th, 2013, 21:24
Is there a good ATC engine for FSX? One that actually controls ME and AI traffic? I'm tired of 3 airplanes on final at the same time to one runway and no one says a thing. I know..it's a sim, but gee!!! I once turned my A320 to final inside of a T7 on final! Any advice?

H

stansdds
August 8th, 2013, 02:00
I use EditVoicePack, which does little to modify FSX ATC behavior, but at busy airports I am often told to "go around" when I'm stacked up in a line of aircraft coming in on final.

paiken
August 8th, 2013, 05:43
I picked up a program called AI Smooth over at avsim a while back that does a pretty good job of preventing pile ups on approach.

Bjoern
August 8th, 2013, 09:12
ATC in general: Radar Contact.
Less pileups: AI Smooth.

falcon409
August 8th, 2013, 10:06
Yea, I swear ATC views all aircraft as 737's, lol. Why else would it vector a Cessna 172 on final in front of a Commercial jet with less than 3 miles separation. No way that Cessna will beat the jet and you end up getting "go around". . .which I ignore and land anyway, lol.:salute:

Bjoern
August 8th, 2013, 10:11
If I was flying a Cessna in Germany and requested to land in, say, Frankfurt, the controller would tell me to go straight to hell.

heavy
August 9th, 2013, 00:17
Thanks guys for the advice. I'm downloading Radar Contact now. I got into tubeliners and can't take much more of default FSX ATC!

H

TheGrunt
August 9th, 2013, 00:42
If I was flying a Cessna in Germany and requested to land in, say, Frankfurt, the controller would tell me to go straight to hell. I try to imagine this like the FSX allows it to happen: busy day, as usual in Frankfurt, planes coming into landing every few minutes on a same runway, that is almost constantly. A320, A319, B747, B737, Cessna 172 humming down on the runway, A330, A320,... Business as usual :running:

By the way, that "worst developer ever" cracks me up every time I see it :icon_lol:

Daube
August 9th, 2013, 01:15
How does this "Radar Contact" product works exactely ?
Does it really replaces the FSX ATC ?
Despite all the flaws, the thing I like about FSX ATC is that is handles all of the AI planes created by either GAIT or FTX freeware packages. It doesn't handle them very well, but it handles nevertheless. Coming into a busy major airport is of course problematic because of the frequent go-arounds, but I tend to avoid these places due to the FPS impact they cause anyways.
Coming into a modest airport with moderate traffic is quite pleasant.

How will Radar Contact behave regarding my current AI traffic ? What will it change ? What happens to the default ATC ? (conflicts or gets shut down ?)

JAllen
August 9th, 2013, 07:11
FSUIPC has a traffic zapper. Hit the button and no need to go around.

Bjoern
August 9th, 2013, 10:29
Thanks guys for the advice. I'm downloading Radar Contact now. I got into tubeliners and can't take much more of default FSX ATC!

Best choice. Make sure to read the manual. And follow every instruction immediately and to the latter. RC's controllers are fairly impatient.

I try to imagine this like the FSX allows it to happen: busy day, as usual in Frankfurt, planes coming into landing every few minutes on a same runway, that is almost constantly. A320, A319, B747, B737, Cessna 172 humming down on the runway, A330, A320,... Business as usual :running:

Well, if you redo your GA traffic with Markus Brunner's "GA Traffic" (Avsim), anything less than, say, a Kingair, won't use bigger airports. It's really handy for improving traffic flow.

By the way, that "worst developer ever" cracks me up every time I see it :icon_lol:

Well, if I can't do anything else, I can at least do that.

How does this "Radar Contact" product works exactely ?
Does it really replaces the FSX ATC ?
Despite all the flaws, the thing I like about FSX ATC is that is handles all of the AI planes created by either GAIT or FTX freeware packages. It doesn't handle them very well, but it handles nevertheless. Coming into a busy major airport is of course problematic because of the frequent go-arounds, but I tend to avoid these places due to the FPS impact they cause anyways.
Coming into a modest airport with moderate traffic is quite pleasant.

How will Radar Contact behave regarding my current AI traffic ? What will it change ? What happens to the default ATC ? (conflicts or gets shut down ?)

This has been asked a million times before. Google knows the answers. Or RC's support forum on Avsim.

In short:
I'm not gonna explain that; no, it's just an overlay; it will work alongside any installed AI; it will control AI if so desired; you will have to set the slider to 0 to avoid hearing it.

Daube
August 9th, 2013, 13:17
Thanks !

Bjoern
August 10th, 2013, 08:43
One more: RC4 does not support ground navigation, so you won't have progressive taxi instructions.

I've got RC4 running alongside FSX' ATC and set up so that RC will only talk to me (and not the AI). That way, I get RC's ATC features while at the same time benefiting from FSX' vastly superior collection of callsigns.

TeaSea
August 10th, 2013, 16:19
If I was flying a Cessna in Germany and requested to land in, say, Frankfurt, the controller would tell me to go straight to hell.

I thought this was funny. We had a pilot here who insisted in going into Miami International in a Cessna 172. Here in the states there's no issue with that. ATC will accept you into the pattern and provide all control....which is cool...until you get the bill for the landing fee from Miami. At that time it was almost $500.00. I think it's gone up since then.

Victory103
August 10th, 2013, 19:23
One more: RC4 does not support ground navigation, so you won't have progressive taxi instructions.

I've got RC4 running alongside FSX' ATC and set up so that RC will only talk to me (and not the AI). That way, I get RC's ATC features while at the same time benefiting from FSX' vastly superior collection of callsigns.

I generally run the same set up as I have tons of military AI and RC4 can't handle the callsigns. As mentioned several threads on this, but I also recommend listening in to Live ATC.

_ben
August 10th, 2013, 19:44
ATC was set up to assist pilots; NOT the other way around.

TeaSea
August 11th, 2013, 06:28
Every now and then you have to remind people of that.....