PDA

View Full Version : Deb's continued progress

OBIO
January 13th, 2009, 23:46
Sorry about starting a new thread on this topic, but I am too lazy to dig for the other one....just being honest here.

Anyhooo....just to let you all know how my blue eyed sweetie is doing.

She is doing WONDERFULLY! Each day brings more and more itching and tingling to the right side of her face as the facial nerve regenerates. The right corner of her mouth is now level with the left corner (no more sagging), her smile line and right cheek dimple are coming back!!!!!!...both of which are indicators that the underlying muscles are beginning to be active. Her right eye lid almost closes...when she is rested she can close it to within a 16th of an inch.....and the eye lid is beginning to have a bit of movement during normal blinking. Her right eye is still rolled in a bit as the muscles on the outside edge are still pretty unresponsive...but she is not as cross eyed as she way a couple months ago.

Her speech is getting much much much better. Friday, while out for a doctor's appointment and some shopping, Deb was singing along with the radio and she hit a high note that was totally clear, sharp and LOUD...the speech therapists she has worked with have all said that high, loud tones are clear signals that the vocal cords, tongue and inner facial muscles are working in unison. Her voice is getting closer and closer to her normal voice.

Now the biggie...Deb has been walking with out the use of her walker. She will leave her walker or wheel chair in the hall and walk into the bathroom using just the walls for balance support. She was been doing this for maybe a week now....but yesterday, she called me in to the bathroom so she could show me how she could walk on her own without even using the walls. Her feet were farther apart than what is usual, and her steps were short....but she was walking unaided. She said she walked like a baby...true...but I told her that she was WALKING!

She has begun standing at the sink, rinsing dishes and putting them in the dish washer...and sometimes she will stand there and was the dishes by hand.

There had been a question if she was diabetic or not....and she is NOT. The diabetic stuff that she presented was due to the high doses of steroids that she was on before and after her surgery. We still monitor her blood sugar levels a few times a week and they are still rock solid in the normal range. The endocrinologist gave Deb the all clear on being diabetic...so that is one less thing to worry about.

No new seizures....a second EEG was run last week...no news on the results of those tests, but we have an appointment with the neurosurgeon/neurologist on the 19th, so I am sure we will find out something then.

Her right are strength is almost back to normal and her right hand dexterity is much much better....she can now slap me as hard as she did before.

Thank you all for the prayers and support...they have been a HUGE part in Deb's recovery.

Tim

wombat666
January 14th, 2009, 00:39
Great news indeed.
The only way now is up!!
:applause::applause::applause:

hewman100
January 14th, 2009, 01:46
:amen::Banane08::Banane44::Banane21::bananajump::B anane35:

See, the bananas are pleased too:rapture:

oldwheat
January 14th, 2009, 03:43
Great to hear this fantastic news!...

Rami
January 14th, 2009, 03:45
Obio,

This is truly wonderful news! :ernae:

peperez
January 14th, 2009, 03:57
Fantastic news, my friend!

Pepe

Jagdflieger
January 14th, 2009, 05:50
Great!

wolfi
January 14th, 2009, 05:56
OBIO,
thatīs are wonderfull news:applause:

Wulf190
January 14th, 2009, 06:24
:weightlifter::Banane41::Banane57::Banane09::banan apowerslide::bananalama::Banane35:

Rock on!

Bill Kestell
January 14th, 2009, 07:28
OUTSTANDING ... SIMPLY OUTSTANDING! "FEELIN' FINE IN 09":engel016:

DauntlessDriver546
January 14th, 2009, 08:39
Fantastic news, Obie! A miracle has blessed your wife!

Okay fine, I'll join in with this whole banana thing... because they're obviously happy too.. :Banane36::Banane25::bananapowerslide:

Desert Rat
January 14th, 2009, 10:50
Great news Obio, very happy for Debs and yourself. Great way to start a new year :amen:

pass on my best to debs too,
:ernae: Jamie

huub vink
January 14th, 2009, 13:10
Thanks for the update. It is so nice to hear do good news.

Huub

Pen32Win
January 14th, 2009, 13:45
Great News OBIO and good news is always welcome news! :engel016:

JP127
January 14th, 2009, 13:57
Fantastic news, Tim.

Jeff

Blondi
January 14th, 2009, 14:29
:ernae:GREAT NEWS Tim. Glad to hear it.

BLONDI:cost1:

OTTO
January 14th, 2009, 14:44
GREAT NEWS for sure !

Still prayin for both of you
OTTO

Hern07
January 14th, 2009, 16:03
Glad for both of you. Gonna concentrate on thanks in my prayers.

The B24 Guy
January 14th, 2009, 16:27
:amen:
Good news is always welcome.

Keep moving forward.

Regards,
B24Guy

Ghostrider
January 14th, 2009, 16:59
Right on, Bro! Best to you and Deb!
:Banane09:

GR

Jean Bomber
January 15th, 2009, 04:32
Good news we are all with you and Deb :kiss:

JP

OBIO
January 20th, 2009, 10:52
Late yesterday afternoon Deb had an appointment with the neurologist. The two EEGs that were done after her seizure showed absolutely nothing out of the normal, nor did the CAT scan done the morning of her seizure. Every thing looks great, no abnormalities, no excessive brain fluids, no leisions, no pools of blood. Her brain looks like a normal brain...too bad it doesn't function that way LOL.

The doc was very very happy with the current state of Deb's recovery and still anticipates and complete and total recovery...in time. He said it could take a year for all the little things to iron themselves out.

He said that he is shooting for Deb to return to work in March...albeit in a limited capacity. Not as a nurse, but as a unit clerk or a triage/intake nurse...something along those lines. Deb and I had not even thought about her returning to work in a limited capacity...we were looking at nursing or nothing....so that was a real eye opener for us and opens up some options that we had not thougth of.

All the testing and checks he performed yesterday..gauging the sensation in the right side of Deb's face, equalateral mobility and strength were all good.

After his evaluations, he felt that Deb does not need out patient physical therapy...as we are doing well in that area on our own...she says I push her harder than the physical therapists did. He did order out patient speech therapy to help improve her speech and (more importantly) her swallowing. Her first out patient speech therapy session is on the 27th. It will be done in the hospital rehab ward...so they know Deb and Deb knows them...so work can begin in earnest from day one.

Tomorrow, we are making a trip to the rehab facility/nursin home were Deb was for a couple months. We are taking in two large black trash bags of stuffed animals for the residents....those old gals want soft snuggly things to sleep with and there is a general lack of them. And we will be hanging out with the residents and playing bingo for an hour or two. Deb is looking forward to seeing the nurses and therapy staff who she came to like and the residents. I think mostly she is looking forward to playing bingo!

gavinc
January 20th, 2009, 12:20
those old gals want soft snuggly things to sleep with

Don't we all:woot:

Glad to hear that Deb is still recovering nicely.

The best wishes to you both
Gavin

huub vink
January 20th, 2009, 13:37
Good news again OBIO, it's really good to hear your Debbie will be able to return in the work process again.

Huub