PDA

View Full Version : Will some kind soul please explain...

rdaniell
July 16th, 2013, 09:29
....one more time for me the differences between: Mesh, Landclass, terrain, and textures as they relate to scenery.

RD

TheGrunt
July 16th, 2013, 09:46
....one more time for me the differences between: Mesh, Landclass, terrain, and textures as they relate to scenery.

RD
Mesh is the wireframe which produces terrain contours. Landclass tells what type of terrain there is (forest, urban etc.). Textures and autogen are placed by the landclass. Textures are the graphic surfaces you see on the mesh, like some forest, rock or urban texture. For the terrain it is like the skin of the aircraft.

Now for the terrain, I would say that it is just that, all of the above pretty much together. You don't get realistic terrain if you are missing one of those.

rdaniell
July 16th, 2013, 09:58
Mesh is the wireframe which produces terrain contours. Landclass tells what type of terrain there is (forest, urban etc.). Textures and autogen are placed by the landclass. Textures are the graphic surfaces you see on the mesh, like some forest, rock or urban texture. For the terrain it is like the skin of the aircraft.Now for the terrain, I would say that it is just that, all of the above pretty much together. You don't get realistic terrain if you are missing one of those.

Thank you. :salute:

RD

Dain Arns
July 16th, 2013, 12:16
Mesh is the table.
Landclass is the tablecloth covering the table, with patterns that are not colored in.
Textures fill in the colors of the patterns of the tablecloth... :icon_lol:

mmann
July 16th, 2013, 12:38
Mesh is the table.
Landclass is the tablecloth covering the table, with patterns that are not colored in.
Textures fill in the colors of the patterns of the tablecloth... :icon_lol:

So would FSX be the table legs or the floor the table sits on. :running:

trucker17
July 16th, 2013, 12:52
So would FSX be the table legs or the floor the table sits on. :running:

Windows is the Floor......FSX is the table legs.....:jump:

Meshman
July 16th, 2013, 14:41
Mesh is the wireframe which produces terrain contours. Landclass tells what type of terrain there is (forest, urban etc.). Textures and autogen are placed by the landclass. Textures are the graphic surfaces you see on the mesh, like some forest, rock or urban texture. For the terrain it is like the skin of the aircraft.

Now for the terrain, I would say that it is just that, all of the above pretty much together. You don't get realistic terrain if you are missing one of those.

Working off the above, I would describe it as follows. Mesh is the elevation data that shapes the landscape. Land and water classification tells FSX what texture type to place at a location (1.2km square) on the planet. With each 1.2km area called by the land/water classification would be an appropriate texture placed and blended inside the game. Terrain would be the different vector based entities that make up the landscape. For example, polygons for water bodies, lines for roads and streams and power lines, lines for traffic upon the roads. All work together to present the visuals we see out of the windows of the plane, etc.

I may be biased, but people should remember that it all begins with the mesh, man! :costum:

And FSX might be the table's legs, but they are starting to wobble some from old age.

Dain Arns
July 16th, 2013, 15:12
Windows is the Floor......FSX is the table legs.....:jump:

Exactly.

Let's just keep it simple and easy. :icon_lol:
I like simple and easy in the summertime.:wavey:

Kiwikat
July 16th, 2013, 15:26
it all begins with the mesh, man! :costum:

SMH... :mixedsmi: