PDA

View Full Version : Beware of Windows 8.1 Preview

dhazelgrove
July 12th, 2013, 10:49
I suggest that you don't install the above.

It stops both FSX and FS9.
Running either in Compatibility Mode doesn't help.
Running as Administrator doesn't help.

As this 'update' to Windows is not easily removable, don't install it.

Dave

dhazelgrove
July 13th, 2013, 03:38
I've managed to get FS9 working!
I'm not quite sure how, but what I did was to enable Direct Play and run it in Windows 7 Compatibility Mode with Admin rights.

FSX still doesn't work, but at least it isn't leaving an event any more (G3D.DLL).

Progress of a sort, perhaps, but I'll take what I can get.....

Dave

dhazelgrove
July 13th, 2013, 04:55
FS9 has started to complain about a gauge loading. The gauge is "ILH_TCAS.GAU". Does anyone know what it's for or where it has come from?

Dave

Bjoern
July 15th, 2013, 09:54
Well, it's Lee hetherington's TCAS gauge and one of the planes in your folder uses it on its panel.

Navtech
July 15th, 2013, 10:11
What is Windows 8.1 ????
So far I know only Windows XP SP3 http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb186/maur2/sarcastic.gif

dhazelgrove
July 15th, 2013, 11:15
What is Windows 8.1 ????
So far I know only Windows XP SP3 http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb186/maur2/sarcastic.gif

Oh dear.

Naismith
July 15th, 2013, 11:43
Nothing wrong with XP imo, may be old in the tooth but it is stable and reliable, I have it on 2 of my PC's. Though nothing quite beats W7 64 so far.

Willy
July 15th, 2013, 11:48
XP 64 here

java2srv
July 15th, 2013, 16:20
Don't have Win 8 here either, just actually purchased a new laptop with Windows 7 as an option so I'd have a fairly recent system to keep me going for a while with an OS I knew how to manage.

The following may also particularly help out with FS9: install it (or move it) to a folder outside of the "Program Files" directories. I'm not familiar at all with Windows 8 directory structure but in Windows 7 the "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" folders have a lot of extra security protection set up on them.

To avoid alot of Windows security intervention I install FS9 on my Windows 7 system under "C:\Microsoft_Games\FS9". This might work for Windows 8 as well.

Tough being a pioneer for new operating systems so your comments and observations appreciated even if can't offer much help.

:isadizzy:

dhazelgrove
July 15th, 2013, 22:59
Agreed, FS installations should never be made to the default offerings.

I've got FS9 working again, so it's just FSX that's giving me grief - other than the preview of IE11. Thank the gods for Compatibility Mode.

Dave

lemonadedrinker
July 16th, 2013, 00:45
Don't have Win 8 here either, just actually purchased a new laptop with Windows 7 as an option so I'd have a fairly recent system to keep me going for a while with an OS I knew how to manage.

The following may also particularly help out with FS9: install it (or move it) to a folder outside of the "Program Files" directories. I'm not familiar at all with Windows 8 directory structure but in Windows 7 the "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" folders have a lot of extra security protection set up on them.

To avoid alot of Windows security intervention I install FS9 on my Windows 7 system under "C:\Microsoft_Games\FS9". This might work for Windows 8 as well.

Tough being a pioneer for new operating systems so your comments and observations appreciated even if can't offer much help.

:isadizzy:

Hi,
That's how I have it set up here...and also with a download called Classic Shell to make the set-up a bit more like XP and get rid of those silly boxes MS thought was a good idea.

Andy.

Tom Clayton
July 16th, 2013, 19:44
Agreed. My FS install on this W7 machine is in C:\Added Programs\ to avoid the extra security, and even then, I tweaked the security setting on the main folder to allow "Full Control" for all users.

dhazelgrove
July 16th, 2013, 21:32
There's a 'Take Control' registry amendment for Windows 8 that allows a right-click context menu item called, strangely, "Take Control".
Select that and all files and folders under the selected path are 'grabbed'.

To find it, just search for "Windows 8 Take Control" in Google. A must-have if you're using the default paths.

Dave

Bjoern
July 17th, 2013, 03:34
Also available for Windows 7. When permanently logged in as admin, however, you'll rarely need it.

dhazelgrove
July 17th, 2013, 04:22
Also available for Windows 7. When permanently logged in as admin, however, you'll rarely need it.

I wish that were true. "Beware of the Windows Update....."
You're never quite sure what's been changed.

Trusting? Me??

Dave

Bjoern
July 18th, 2013, 09:33
I wish that were true. "Beware of the Windows Update....."
You're never quite sure what's been changed.

Trusting? Me??

I never, ever had an update break some functionality and I've installed them all. Each of my f-ups requiring a reinstall of Windows or an extensive rescue operation was due to me overzealously meddling in core files.

dhazelgrove
July 20th, 2013, 08:23
There are some small issues with water textures. I'll do some screenies.

Dave

dhazelgrove
July 20th, 2013, 08:56

If you look at the sea textures, you can see that FS9 looks as if you're flying over a very large mirror.
Land textures are fine.

Dave