PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Afternoon Carrier Fun

Willy
July 6th, 2013, 11:57
I've been working on an around the world flight going from carrier to carrier which started off of Pensacola Florida and I've finally got back to the US without having to land on either land or water, just flightdecks. I've been flying a few different carrier aircraft along the way, but for the last half of the trip, I've kind of settled on the Aeroplane Heaven Seafire as it's just difficult enough to see around the nose to keep things interesting. The SOH F7F Tigercat and the D-ware SBD Dauntless were favorites early on.

On this leg, I took off from USS Saratoga near San Francisco and headed south to just past Los Angeles where I caught up with a CVN and a CVL. I decided to land on the CVL. Then it was off again to San Diego where I caught up with the original aircraft carrier Lexington. It was kind of hard to spot the in the fog.

Now I've got to decide whether I want to try the iffy long flight from San Diego to Texas or do I want to keep going south to Panama and then working my way up through the Gulf of Mexico to Pensacola. If I go straight to Texas, I'll have to add the external tank and go high and slow in order to make the 1000 mile flight. That's if the wind is cooperating. Via Panama, I can work my way down the Mexican coast.

Decisions, Decisions.....

casey jones
July 9th, 2013, 09:51
Do you use the ROCCO carrier captapult and cables? It is so complicated for
me I gave up.

Cheers

Casey

Willy
July 9th, 2013, 16:52
I use Dawson's Carrier Ops Gauge set vers 1 A cat launch and arrestor hook gauges that you install into the aircraft's panel. Much simpler than figuring out catch zones on the numerous carriers I have installed.